Roy Keane ........ footballer or madman??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roy Keane ........ footballer or madman???

TheBoiledEgg
08-13-2002, 08:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/2189742.stm

Roy Keane could be in hot water with the Football Association after revealing he deliberately injured Alf-Inge Haaland.

The admission comes in the Manchester United midfielder's forthcoming autobiography, which is being serialised in two British newspapers.

The Irishman says he "had waited long enough" to exact revenge on Haaland after suffering a knee injury while playing against the Norwegian in 1997.

Haaland was left with damaged knee ligaments after being fouled in the Manchester derby of April 2001 and has not started a game since.

Keane's book also reveals he added insult to injury by taunting Haaland while he lay stricken on the ground.

"And don't ever stand over me again sneering about fake injuries, and tell your pal (David) Wetherall there's some for him as well," Keane is quoted as saying.

Keane was sent off for the tackle - and in the book he claims: "I (didn't) wait for Mr Elleray to show the red card. I turned and walked to the dressing room."

An FA statement said: "These comments have been used in newspaper serialisations of Roy Keane's forthcoming autobiography.

"Having read the comments we would like to see the book in its full context before making any decision.

"However we clearly would never expect any one individual to set out to physically hurt an opponent at any level of the game."

The suggestion of a premeditated attack has also alerted Haaland, who has hinted he may take legal action against Keane.

The 29-year-old was quoted on Tuesday in British newspapers as saying: "Am I going to sue? Make your own mind up. I've played only a few games after the tackle.

"I will go in and see if I can find any of Keane's studs inside there."

TheBoiledEgg
08-13-2002, 09:00 PM
he should be banned permanently from all football and locked up for GBH

doesn't matter that he plays for Man U or not, he shouldn't be allowed to play the game.

Ms. Jessica Mathers
08-13-2002, 09:05 PM
Hes such a prick.

The guys obviously got some anger mangement issues. I agree ban him from football and throw him in a cell, and while they are at it they can chuck fergie in there too. Shut him up for a bit :p

ILR
08-13-2002, 09:08 PM
Cant stand him.As an avid Liverpool fan(no im not biassed tho this may sound it!)There was no excuse for the tackle on Alfe Inge Haaland and somethin should be done about him.He's outta control!I felt so sorry for Alfe and Keane should be banished.We all saw wot a jerk he woz when he caused all that contreversy round the WC.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I bet Alfe could still find traces of metal in his leg!Hope he makes a full recovery. :D

And as for tauntin him afterwards hes an animal!

Did any1 see how Haaland injured Keane?Keane tried 2 crock Alfe and ended up injured himself.pfft

Goonergal
08-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Keane is a complete wanker not to mention a lunatic he has dropped himself in it this time and the FA better take action :fiery: If they let him get away with this :fiery:.Man U or not :mad: I remember seeing the match live and Keane didn't give a fuck whether he got sent off as long as the damage was done.Imagine if Haaland's leg was planted on the ground :eek: And totally agree with IluvRogi he blatantly went to do in Haaland in the 97/98 and injured himself instead-Wanker :fiery: :rolleyes: Sorry I don't usually swear this much but when it comes to a prick like Keane I can't hold back.

Lol @ Jessica Fergie NEEDS to do time stop him fucking whining already :rolleyes: :p

I hope Alfie sues the arse off him and like Eggy said they lock him up 4 GBH.

The Crow
08-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Banning him permanently is the only right punishment.

King Aaron
08-14-2002, 10:49 AM
Madman !!! he deserves all the punishment !!

Goonergal
08-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Man U lost too :D Sweet!

Chris
08-14-2002, 11:08 PM
He's a lunatic!:mad: Why did he reveales this is he also proud or something??:mad:

ILR
08-14-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Lleyton's_Chick
Man U lost too :D Sweet!

Sooooooooo sweeeeeet!:D

King Aaron
08-15-2002, 10:30 AM
very sweeeeet!!!

Martin
08-15-2002, 05:32 PM
Definite madman!! I'm still laughing at Man U losing last night!! :D

mmm!marat
08-15-2002, 06:34 PM
mad man, gd luck for west brom on sat :)

Goonergal
08-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Keane to be sued for tackle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38201000/jpg/_38201544_keanehaaland300.jpg
Keane leans over Haaland after the fateful tackle

Manchester City and Alf Inge Haaland are to sue Roy Keane over his tackle on the midfielder which took place in the last Manchester derby on 21 April 2001.
Keane, the Manchester United captain, has admitted in his autobiography that he deliberately fouled the Norwegian.

The admission was made in Keane's forthcoming autobiography, which is being serialised in two British newspapers.

The Irishman says he "had waited long enough" to exact revenge on Haaland after suffering a knee injury while playing against the Norwegian in 1997.

Keane-"I waited until five minutes before the end, I hit Haaland hard"

Haaland was left with damaged knee ligaments after being fouled in the Manchester derby of April 2001 and has not started a game since, although he has played more than 40 minutes of football.
Manchester United said: "We are aware of the action that has been taken by Manchester City but we will not be making any comment."

A statement on the Manchester City's official website said: "It has been agreed to jointly instruct a leading firm of solicitors regarding the circumstances surrounding Roy Keane's tackle on 21 April 2001.

"This action has been taken with a view to commencing legal proceedings against Roy Keane and his employers Manchester United Football Club."

Keane's tackle earned him a red card but in his book, "Keane - The Autobiography", he claims it was pre-meditated and provoked by a encounter between the two some years earlier.

In the book, he said: "I waited until five minutes before the end, I hit him hard. I think the ball was there.

"I didn't even wait for the referee to show the red card. I turned and walked to the dressing room."

Keane said he went for Haaland because of what the City player had said when Keane suffered his own knee injury in a tackle in 1997.

Keane wrote: "(I told him): 'And don't ever stand over me again sneering about fake injuries.'"

Hope they throw the book at the bastard :fiery:

ILR
08-17-2002, 12:38 AM
Thanx Lleytons chick.Damn right Haaland should sue.He shud sue him 4 wot hes worth.The stupid bastard deserves his head kickin in and hes stupid 2 admit he purposely wnt 4 Haaland.:mad:

PS.I hate Roy Keanes guts!!!

Mrs. B
08-17-2002, 10:51 PM
what a jerk!

Goonergal
08-17-2002, 11:07 PM
Blame me over Haaland comments, says Keane ghostwriter

LONDON (Reuters) - The ghostwriter of Roy Keane's autobiography has said the Manchester United midfielder did not make the controversial comments about deliberately injuring Norwegian Alf Inge Haaland, the Observer reported.

Eamonn Dunphy told the newspaper he had used "artistic license" and "paraphrased" Keane's quoted remarks about his acrimonious feud with the Manchester City midfielder.

Keane faces possible legal action from Haaland and City after saying in a newspaper serialisation of his book that he had intentionally fouled Haaland in a revenge attack during a Manchester derby in April 2001.

Dunphy's comments come a day after the English Football Association (FA) said it would not hesitate to punish the United skipper if the governing body decided he had brought the game into disrepute.

"We thought it would be a nice football book, that it would be no problem," Dunphy was quoted as saying in the newspaper.

"But there is the passage about Haaland. I am as much responsible for that, as a writer, rather than Roy," added Dunphy, himself a former Manchester United player.

"There is artistic license. I should take the rap. But he won't let me. Fair play to him. No whingeing. No screaming.

"No, 'I didn't say that; he made it up.' But I was paraphrasing. Still no whining. But we are talking about a man here."

Dunphy said fellow Irishman Keane and United manager Alex Ferguson had both read his manuscript before the serialisation began last week. Ferguson said last week that his captain did not have a case to answer.

ARTISTIC LICENCE

Asked if the intent of Keane's challenge on Haaland was clear from his autobiography leading sports lawyer Nick Bitel told Saturday's Guardian newspaper: "I suspect Keane would argue there was a bit of artistic licence in the editing of the book.

"The book was ghost-written, so that might give Keane an edge in claiming it was not what he said. He could argue that those were not his exact words or that they were taken out of context. The book alone is not going to prove Haaland's case."

In announcing on Friday that they planned to take legal action City said on their website:

"Following discussions at Maine Road between the football club, Alfie and his legal advisers, it has been agreed to jointly instruct a leading firm of solicitors regarding the circumstances surrounding Roy Keane's tackle on April 21 2001".

"This action has been taken with a view to commencing legal proceedings against Roy Keane and his employers Manchester United Football Club."

Since the tackle on Haaland, for which Keane was sent off, the 29-year-old Norwegian has suffered knee ligament problems and has made only a handful of appearances for his club.

British newspapers reported on Saturday that Haaland would fly to Colorado in the U.S. on Sunday for knee surgery.

The comments about Haaland have thrust Keane back into the limelight at the start of the new premier league season just two months after his controversial exit from the World Cup.

Keane was sent home after a furious row with Ireland manager Mick McCarthy in the build-up to the tournament and refused to apologise.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Martin
08-19-2002, 01:10 AM
If that other guy wants to take the blame then that's complete crap, I mean he's not telling Keane to say these things in his book, Keane is the one that's doing it.

I think they are starting to panic now. I just hope the FA and Man City really do something about this.

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-19-2002, 02:17 AM
Ssssshhh, Keane rocks!

Scott Storm
08-21-2002, 02:19 AM
First off I have a lot of respect for Roy as a player, I never really liked him as a man until this summer when he held his ground and stuck to his guns (much respect Roy!)

Bad tackle's happen in football and anybody who has played the game knows that quite a lot are deliberate and with only the luck of the draw seperating them from being career ending.

Martin - It is obvious that you do not know of the living legend that is EAMONN DUNPHY this guy is the coolest guy on Irish terrestrial Television / Radio / Print media. Dunphy is held up as a national icon by many including myself.

One tale of Dunphy's exploits is from this summer when he showed up drunk as a skunk to be a pundit for a world up game and start's cursing like a hero, you should have heard the slating he gave the unfortuanate striker that missed a good chance.
He of course was then sacked for the remaining duration of the wc but has joyfully since returned to our screens.

Oh yeah! in case of anybody mistaking me for a man u fan.

Man U suck!

TheBoiledEgg
08-21-2002, 10:01 PM
bad tackles to happen but one admits he deliberately did it for revenge.
then its another matter

I would get him for GBH as well

The Crow
08-22-2002, 10:13 AM
Of course tackling is inherent to the sport, but it's the tackling for revenge thing that should get him banned (at least). I don't see the difference between this and someone beating someone else up out of revenge (outside a football field).