How long should the tennis offseason be? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How long should the tennis offseason be?

JennyS
03-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Counting the Davis Cup final, how long do you think the tennis offseason should be?

JennyS
03-10-2004, 07:21 PM
I think 12 weeks would be a sufficient off-season. It's not quite three months, but would give players sufficient time to rest but it wouldn't be so long that everyone would get rusty.

TheBoiledEgg
03-10-2004, 07:31 PM
12 weeks is way too much.
they'll be playing exhibitions throughout anyway, so its pointless.

only the top players only get 6 weeks break (but thats only really about 2-3 weeks before they get back into full training)

just make the DC final earlier, everything else is fine.

joeb_uk
03-10-2004, 07:32 PM
to be honest, if the players arent getting a rest during the season that is the concern. a break every week or two would be more of a benefit than having a 4 month break. so i think 6-8 weeks is ok

JennyS
03-10-2004, 07:37 PM
I wonder though, if the players can actually rest during their off weeks? If a player does well at Roland Garros, you can't really take a week off and then hope to do well at Wimbledon. I know Andre has managed to figure out a way to take rest breaks, but a lot of players don't.

I agree that a lot of guys would play exhibitions anway, but maybe they shouldn't be. Team sports athletes aren't allowed to do a lot of physical activities during the off-season (an example is Aaron Boone, who played basketball in the off-season, which violated his contract. He got injured, lost his job and the Yankees signed A-Rod).

joeb_uk
03-10-2004, 07:39 PM
i dont mean take a rest completely from tennis, but lower the intensity and duration of training for example. we cant have the players playing continious tournaments

TheBoiledEgg
03-10-2004, 07:47 PM
tennis isnt basketball.

you play when you wanna play...... its entirely upto u.

RoddickPride
03-11-2004, 12:03 AM
I think it is fine how it is. The players need to stop complaining. They don't have to play all of the tournaments!