trying out les poules in adelaide... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

trying out les poules in adelaide...

Via
12-30-2006, 09:19 AM
adelaide is starting tomorrow, and the main draw is out. as the #6 seed, arnaud has been drawn with benjamin becker in group 7. the remaining player in the group will be decided tomorrow in the elimination round.

funny that becker is reported to be positive about the RR format. hope arnaud will prove him and the unknown group mate (how else do you call him?) wrong.

arnaud was a math major at school and so should have no problem reading the draw: http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2007/339/MDS.pdf

Via
12-30-2006, 09:39 AM
sorry the 3rd player isn't that mysterious after all. it will be one of amer delic or chris guccione, depending on who gets elimiated first.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2007/339/MDE.pdf

Chelem
12-30-2006, 09:47 AM
This system is quite strange... I'm not sure poules are a very good idea... we'll see !

Allez Arnaud !!! :D

Via
12-30-2006, 09:05 PM
arnaud's also playing doubles, with richard gasquet. doubles will still be straight knockout format.

allez :bounce:

esther
01-01-2007, 04:23 AM
this round robin thing is going to be confusing

esther
01-01-2007, 04:26 AM
arnauds group has becker and guccione. who the hell is benjamin becker?!

higherlaw
01-01-2007, 01:48 PM
He's the guy who beat Agassi in the US Open.

Is Guccione really 6'7"/200cm?? Yikes 11" taller than Arnaud!

Hangdog
01-01-2007, 06:30 PM
arnaud's also playing doubles, with richard gasquet. doubles will still be straight knockout format.

allez :bounce:

Doubles will still be... what kind of, sorry? Via, don't curse that way!!! lol I think the first thing I dislike in RR format is that now there are too many terms around... :rolleyes:
So well, at least doubles format hasn't been touched, that's already fine lol

Another good news is that Arnaud started his new year and new season with a victory: Clement/Gasquet (FRA) d (3)Aspelin/Haggard 61 62!!! :D :clap2: Allez les gars! And Arnaud hasn't been playing doubles with Richard before, right?

As for singles... The draw's look is not that awful actually. The one of French Teams Championship was even worse :p There're just more draws now and they look a little bit more complicated; suppose people will get used to it soon. But I think all that RR idea is too complicated in general and is going to be confusing as Esther said. There can be some features which haven't been given into account by organizers so possibly we'll see some unexpected surprises soon. Or maybe not.

Anyway the start is done - as well as it's been done in Arnaud group where (WC)C. Guccione (AUS) beat B. Becker (GER) 75 63. Another new feature is that now we have to check the results of some extra players only because they play in the same group as our favorites :rolleyes: Yes (thanks for the reminding, higherlaw!), Benjamin Becker seems to become famous last season when he showed some good results, climbed up in the rankings and got into history defeating Agassi (right after Grosjean I think) at his last US Open match. But I suppose it's better to get him and Guccione in a group rather than such guys as Pim-Pim or Luczak. And Arnaud seems to have to look forward to trying himself in a role of guinea-pig until Wednesday... Better luck to him!

P.S. Sorry for a long post.

Via
01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
irina, great effort on new year's day to dissect arnaud's prospects in adelaide :lol:

well the draw isn't too bad for arnaud... or for most seeded players, except the one who gets pim pim, who surprisingly got beaten first match anyway by florent serra, the 2nd ranked in the group ;)

anyway what i REALLY don't understand now is, why isn't arnaud playing TODAY (tuesday) ????? why does mr becker have to rest, since he's the loser of the first match and should play arnaud next, not guccione, who might have a better reason for asking for a day off.

now if arnaud has to win this tournament, he will have to play every day wed/thurs/fri/sat/sun ..... how unfair is that ???????????? you bet this guinea pig is now grumbling :mad:

arnauds group has becker and guccione. who the hell is benjamin becker?!
where the hell were you in september? :p

Via
01-02-2007, 10:03 PM
confirmed - arnaud is player becker today (wednesday), 2nd up on centre court.

there isn't any tv broadcast here :awww:

Via
01-03-2007, 04:09 AM
got his first RR win!! :D 75 61

he now must beat guccione to advance... yes guccione is a very tall guy. but i don't know if he really is that tall.

Hangdog
01-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the updates!!! Arnaud :woohoo:
now if arnaud has to win this tournament, he will have to play every day wed/thurs/fri/sat/sun ..... how unfair is that ???????????? you bet this guinea pig is now grumbling :mad:
I bet this smile you put was an exact Arnaud's reaction.
there isn't any tv broadcast here :awww:
Well, I can understand that they [naively] suppose no one would get up at 5 am to watch tennis so they broadcast here everything but Adelaide... But how did it come you can't see an Australian tournament in Australia?! :eek: I wonder what they show you instead, some national sport, kangaroos races???

By the way, Via, Seb said that tomorrow (i.e. today, on Wednesday) he leaves to Sydney :wavey:

Anne-Claire
01-03-2007, 10:40 AM
well done arnaud :woohoo:

01-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Arnaud :yippee:

Marine
01-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Happy new year everybody :wavey:

To people who didn't know why Seb doesn't play Adelaide while arnaud and bruno play there, here the explanation.

Après deux semaines de préparation à Boca Raton (Floride) avec son préparateur, Alain Quintallet, un séjour familial de ski à 3 000 mètres d’altitude à Beaver Creek (Colorado) et un camp floridien avec les espoirs de l’USTA (la fédération américaine), Grosjean rejoindra ainsi plus vite que prévu les frères Clément à Sydney, pour faire corps avec son ami Arnaud et son coach, Bruno. Au fait, pourquoi – pour faire simple – ne pas avoir débuté l’année avec eux lors du tournoi d’Adelaïde ? « Parce qu’il y a là-bas le système de poules et que je n’y suis pas du tout favorable, répondit le Français, armé pour le réquisitoire. Ça réduit les qualifications. Avec le pré-tour pour les moins bien classés, ça nous fait six matches au lieu de cinq si l’on va au bout, alors que l’on dit qu’il faut jouer moins de matches. Ce n’est clair pour personne, même pas pour les joueurs, à qui il a fallu tout réexpliquer le premier jour là-bas. Apparemment, ce sont les directeurs de tournoi qui décident, et c’est honteux que les joueurs n’aient pas été consultés. S’ils maintiennent le système, avec les tout meilleurs qui auront encore moins de chances de se rater sur deux matches, ce ne seront plus que trente, quarante joueurs qui pourront vivre du tennis à court terme… » Très remonté, le Français doutait déjà de sa participation à deux autres tournois (le Queen’s et Washington), où sera encore expérimenté le système.

I'm happy to see Seb hates the RB system as much as Arnaud.

Via
01-03-2007, 10:32 PM
I bet this smile you put was an exact Arnaud's reaction.
of course, arnaud can be quite red in the face, you know :lol:

Well, I can understand that they [naively] suppose no one would get up at 5 am to watch tennis so they broadcast here everything but Adelaide... But how did it come you can't see an Australian tournament in Australia?! :eek: I wonder what they show you instead, some national sport, kangaroos races???
they will start showing adelaide on saturday in time for the semis. RR or no RR, makes no difference to the tv station :rolleyes: but if there's a frenchman on my tv come saturday, i'll let you know ;)

By the way, Via, Seb said that tomorrow (i.e. today, on Wednesday) he leaves to Sydney :wavey:
you want me to be at the airport???? lol what time

To people who didn't know why Seb doesn't play Adelaide while arnaud and bruno play there, here the explanation.

thanks marine....... now i just need a good translation !!!

edit: there IS a translation, by truc, here http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4619941&postcount=172

Via
01-04-2007, 04:11 AM
the trial is over... for arnaud anyway. he lost 76 76 to guccione, who will now advance to the quarters. just how it should be anyway... the awkward thing was another guy ('who the hell') got to lose twice :p

01-04-2007, 04:26 AM
Arnaud :sad: I wonder if he is glad to be away from Robins :lol:

Via
01-04-2007, 04:48 AM
yes i'm sure arnaud is now leaving adelaide looking like this: :mad: lol

edit: hmmm not exactly leaving yet, because he's still in the doubles with richard! and going well too right now in their match.

Hangdog
01-04-2007, 07:56 AM
And they even won that match and moved to the semis :) So you've started sending him out of Adelaide too early ;)

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
they will start showing adelaide on saturday in time for the semis. RR or no RR, makes no difference to the tv station :rolleyes: but if there's a frenchman on my tv come saturday, i'll let you know ;)

you want me to be at the airport???? lol what time

edit: there IS a translation, by truc, here http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4619941&postcount=172

Thanks. And you know you're already late to be at the airport in time I'm afraid :p But you see, it's quite useful to visit Sebastien's forum sometimes!

Truc
01-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Arnaud in L'Équipe, he is very upset about the round-robin system because when he played his first match, Becker had no chance anymore to qualify after having lost the first set and didn't fight in the 2nd set. Arnaud's reaction: "That's not a tennis match. A tennis match, it's 2 opponents fighting and the winner makes it to the next round. This system is crap." (Mercredi, lorsqu’il eut perdu la première manche face à Arnaud Clément, Benjamin Becker, déjà battu lors du premier match, n’avait plus le moindre espoir d’aller en quarts. Il n’opposa donc plus qu’une résistance symbolique au Français, ne grignotant qu’un petit jeu au deuxième set. « Un match de tennis, ce n’est pas ça ; ce sont deux adversaires face à face qui se bagarrent, et le vainqueur passe au tour suivant. Ce système-là est nul… », grognait « la Clé ». )

L'Équipe is full of negative reactions of the French players about the RR system today: Arnaud, Richard, Seb, check also the threads of F. Serra or G. Simon if you're interested in this question...

Marine
01-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Merci Truc, I don't have to buy l'Equipe, cool. :)
I'm too lazy to read the other player's reactions in general threads, I wonder if it's only the frenchies who're so negative or if it's really general. :confused:

I cant' believe they will generalize this system to all tournaments in 2008... I don't see any positive point.
At first it's not interesting to see a guy playing while he already knows he "lost" the RB.
Secondly, only the top players will take advantage of this system. They don't need it to win.

C'est NUL !!!!!!!!!!

Truc
01-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm too lazy to read the other player's reactions in general threads, I wonder if it's only the frenchies who're so negative or if it's really general. :confused:I'm wondering about that too...

higherlaw
01-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I had not seen this quote before, but possibly other people have. I'll post it here anyway for those who have not.

Whole article:
http://www.sports.fr/fr/cmc/scanner/tennis/20071/les-poules-font-grincer-des-dents_119209.html?popup

Paragraph with Arnuad's quote...translated using google, but you'll get what he's saying:

The organizers of the tournament of Adelaide, who had gone voluntary for this innovation, did not indicate yet if the experiment would be renewed the next season. If they were to listen vox populi among the players, the choice would quickly be made. Thus, Arnaud Clément, who was already assembled to the face, in vain, a few months ago, in gave a layer. “All the players to which I spoke are against the system, except Dominik Hrbaty. It is against the spirit of the play. Tennis is an individual sport with direct elimination and one changes some completely philosophy while allowing a player who lost a match to be able still thereafter to gain the tournament. Moreover, the public will be lost. “.

Via
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
L'Équipe is full of negative reactions of the French players about the RR system today: Arnaud, Richard, Seb, check also the threads of F. Serra or G. Simon if you're interested in this question...

:lol: i can't start to imagine how many curse words they are using to describe their feelings. arnaud lost his 2nd match and was out, he might not like becker tanking the 2nd set but it wasn't too a difficult situation for him, at least.

"All the players to which I spoke are against the system, except Dominik Hrbaty."

hrbaty? the guy who lost twice, likes the system?? :haha:

tv reports here dared not mention RR when hewitt lost, luckily they didn't have to explain as he lost his 2nd and the winner advanced to quarters so they could pretend it had nothing to do with RR :shrug:

Marine
01-05-2007, 08:09 PM
"All the players to which I spoke are against the system, except Dominik Hrbaty."

Who are the players with Arnaud uses to speak in general, Via ? :lol:

Via
01-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Who are the players with Arnaud uses to speak in general, Via ? :lol:

actually, reading this again and i'm starting to admire the honesty of mr hrbarty.

think: facing this angry red-face -> :mad: and he dares to disagree with him :lol:

so who are the players, do you think, marine? ;)

more importantly...... arnaud's FINALLY out of adelaide. he lost in the doubles :bounce:

Marine
01-06-2007, 09:09 AM
LOL

Well, he finally lost ! Via, he plays double with Micka in Sydney.

Hangdog
01-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Cruel girls you are :devil: One less mistake, one more good shot and he would do his first final of the year! And now (sorry Via) he has awwwwful draws – both, singles and doubles – in Sydney. Best of luck to him. Marseille Arnaud! :p

By the way, talking about red faces and so on (and thanks everyone for posting recent interviews) – there is a lovely (isn’t it??) picture from his match against Guccione.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2790/162007112010cf5.jpg