Your loved ones and tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Your loved ones and tennis

alfonsojose
03-10-2004, 05:06 PM
My family love tennis and i was the one who introduced them into the game. My ex could not care less about tennis (we split for another reasons, of course, but that was always an isue). And most of my friends know the sport because fo me (Here, the most important sport is soccer, followed by F-1, because of Juan P. Montoya. Now with Zuluaga's semis at Ao people is getting interested). What about U?

Angelito
03-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Well, in my family I am all by myself about tennis!
And among my friends they don't really know mutch about it, but they do follow some of the argentinians matches.

Guilles' grl
03-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Well my mom was the real tennis freak of the family and she taught my dad how to play and he got better than her. So they started teaching me and my bro how to play when we were 5 (me) and 4. I think they cared more about my bro's abillities than mine though, even though I tried really hard. But anyway, he eventually became better than me so I still play but I've never taken a set from him. Tennis was the only sport we ever watched besides baseball. Pete was our fav. And Chang of course. He was my fav when I was a kid. My parents still root for Andre and most of the americans. Me and my bro on the other hand love mostly foriegn players, Coria, Nal-B, Feds, Lleyton, Safin...most of my friends don't know about tennis. I have only one freind that watches tennis but she only knows Roddick. That doesn't count. But i watch alot of basketball too. I'm the one that started my family to watching basketball. We love the Dallas Mavericks and the Dirk Nowitzki dude (forward for the Mavericks) likes tennis too :) so it's all good.
TENNIS IS DA SHIT!!!

don_na
03-10-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm the only one out of all my friends and family interested in tennis. I took interest when I started tennis lessons last year (new year's resoultion) then I started to watch some matches on tv to see their techniques to improve my own game. Eventually I abandonned the tennis playing and followed the tournaments (esp. Nalbandian's). It's tough when no one in your circle shares your interests.-Cheers-Donna

jazz_girl
03-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Well, I started playing tennis when I was seven, I think I played till I was 9, it wasn't a long time! LOL And I always loved the sport, but I started following it on tv a couple of years ago. My family doesn't like tennis, my dad LOVES soccer, and my friends could not care less about it. So I am on my own. Although we were on vacations in January and I follwed the AO, so I would wake up at 5:30 am(I am insane, I know that...) or stayed up till really late, and some how I got my dad to see it with me! LOL! He's my only alley right now.

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 10:33 PM
my dad played tennis in college and I remember he still had wooden rackets when I was little. We used to watch all the slams and I grew up with Pete in his prime so those are mostly my early tennis memories. Just recently I've gotten more into the game on my own and now I follow it all on a daily basis not just the slams. :) Last week I brought my mom to a Scottsdale session and she really enjoyed it. the last match she'd seen was Nastase, probably at least 30 years ago, in Boston.

Ma. Estefania
03-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Well, I got into tennis just by watching TV when I was 12 (now I am 17).

Honestly no one in my family really cares about it as much as I do: My mom doesn't like any sport; my sister who is 10 knows some names of the players, but doesn't care at all, even gets upset when I start talking to her about it; and well....my dad is the only one who cares at least a bit, he knows some names of the players too (though he pronounces most of them wrongly of course, je je :) ) and likes Philippoussis, but like he watches tennis once in a month, he doesn't really knows how Mark is and his actual state of his game, so he thinks he is a regular player. :)

About my friends, they are another 0. I think I just need to get a boyfriend who likes it. :)

Leo
03-11-2004, 12:29 AM
My sister originally got me interested in tennis. But she barely ever plays anymore and she certainly doesn't watch more than three matches a year. My parents don't give a shit about tennis unless it's relating to Sampras, Agassi, or Capriati.

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 12:33 AM
My family well my brother will come here and say something else but we always loved various sports and still do.

In my case I was at home and then happened to watch Borg play in a French Open final and then we thought yes this isn't too bad. My brothers watch it, but as for friends I don't have any of those but the people I associate with I have my tennis friends and other ones, sometimes they cross over, other times they don't.

Angelito
03-11-2004, 04:16 AM
Well, I started playing tennis when I was seven, I think I played till I was 9, it wasn't a long time! LOL And I always loved the sport, but I started following it on tv a couple of years ago. My family doesn't like tennis, my dad LOVES soccer, and my friends could not care less about it. So I am on my own. Although we were on vacations in January and I follwed the AO, so I would wake up at 5:30 am(I am insane, I know that...) or stayed up till really late, and some how I got my dad to see it with me! LOL! He's my only alley right now.

I also play tennis since I was seven. I was pretty good at it when I was younger but eventually I lost interest in competition, right now I guess I feel sort of repentant about it... I would have loved to be a professional tennis player. :banghead:

When I'm playing tennis I forget all of my troubles and worries and I feel I am completely happy, it's just such a nice feeling whether if I'm playing good or not it feels great. That's what I love most about this sport.

I am a big fan of Pete Sampras and Nalby, other players that I follow are Calleri, Gasquet (since I saw him playing last month in Buenos Aires) and Cañas, I also like Enqvist.

Well, I could keep writing about tennis and how much I love it for hours and hours but I don't wanna bore you guys. :)

Hugs. :hatoff:

MisterQ
03-11-2004, 04:24 AM
When I'm playing tennis I forget all of my troubles and worries and I feel I am completely happy, it's just such a nice feeling whether if I'm playing good or not it feels great. That's what I love most about this sport.

Well, I couldn't agree with you more. When I'm playing I tune out the stress in my life. :)

J. Corwin
03-11-2004, 06:12 AM
Exactly. It's a moment reserved just for the tennis and I love it.

My brother is a casual tennis fan and watches with me sometimes. He'll also inquire how so and so is doing, etc. My parents barely know any tennis player beyond Agassi, Sampras, Chang, Roddick, and the Williams Sisters.

I got my girlfriend interested in tennis as well. We talk about it often and she has even started a tennis related site, Roddick Online. (www.roddickonline.com)

Kristen
03-11-2004, 06:18 AM
In my family, my mother was a tennis freak when i was little. But I hated, HATED tennis then because it was so boring. Then the hormones increased and I noticed the Swedish men. I'm not holding back here ;) My mother has since left home, and at 22 -yes this is kind of embarrassing - I have a poster of Jonas on my door. I can't be bothered taking it down, plus he's my sporting legend I guess, so he deserves that spot. Dad calls him the dork-man in a loving kind of way. One year I'm going to take my dad to the tennis to meet Jonas! Seriously. He doesnt like tennis...mind you, my mother and he dont get along so another good reason to despise tennis!

Last bf was also a tennis freak who understood my adoration for a couple of players. One of few people who understand I'm not in love with these people, I just respect them and want them to kick ass every single time they play! lol we broke up for other reasons.

My friends think I'm obsessed. But, I dont see how its any different to soccer fans who wake up at 3am to watch a match. I can't help that my 'sport' is in another time zone for 11 months of the year!

rassklovn
03-11-2004, 06:38 AM
Our father liked tennis but not majorly, he prefered other sports. My two brothers follow it and no matter where they are usually make sure they have an idea of who is going well and so on.

I enjoy playing tennis though not all of the time, I would get pissed off I played all the time, there are other things I enjoy that balance with the tennis.

Tricky_Forehand
03-11-2004, 07:31 AM
I'm the one and only in my family :) . Most of my family rolls their eyes when I start talking about Tennis. Actually, there's usually an effort made not to ask anything about Tennis around me or I'll go on and on :D .

My mom is the one exception. She has always liked Andre Agassi so she would watch all of his matches. She got to know who all the other players were by being patient and let me vent on the good days and bad days...lol.

I started watching Tennis when I was around two and my mom had Wimbledon on. Back then it was on HBO (ahhh...those were the days :sad: ) and I could just sit there for hours. My mom never knew what she was starting...lol.

I don't play as much as I would like but that's a whole other story. There's a tennis court near where I live but no one that I know of close by to actually hit with. It sucks! You would think living in LA it would be easy to find someone :rolleyes: .

Anyway, that's my story :)

Prophetic
03-11-2004, 07:39 AM
My family really doesn't care much though my mother will sit and watch a match with me if it's Andy playing.
I don't need to tell most of you what Jackson is like when it comes to tennis, lol...he's the one that got me into it...i was a fan as a child and then i stopped and he pulled me back in.

trixy
03-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Most of my family couldn't careless about tennis but they will ocassionally watch a match on tv with me and then annoy me the whole time asking me questions about who's who.

Most of my friends couldn't careless about tennis but my bf is a fully fledged addict, I actually met him after he hit me in the head with a tennis ball and he came over to say sorry and next thing I know he's my bf.

jeanie_sin
03-11-2004, 08:24 AM
because i started supporting my country, singapore's national swimmers, i started flipping the sports pages everyday. from there, i knew about the main players. then during AO 2000, i channelsurfed and decided to stop at a channel showing the AO. that got me hooked :D
but in my family, only my dad knows about tennis. my mum and my brother dont give a damn about tennis.
neither do my friends. if u say u watch tennis, they'll tell u, "oh, agassi" and then i'll be like, no i dun like him :rolleyes:

Aerien
03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
It was the 2002 AO and my mom was watching the finals of the womens side.
She was using my TV so I had to watch with her. I saw the drama and the fight between Martina and Jen. I was hooked because it was real life with a story.
I truly fell in love in the doubles finals after seeing this little Spaniard lob a ball right behind two Spice girls. The girl in the cocktail dress who won the mixed doubles was interesting too.

That's how it all started. I soon followed the men's side and immedietly made Andy Roddick my favorite when I watched him take out Pete Sampras (whom I also saw in the AO get beaten by another one of my faves, Marat Safin) in the Houston finals.

My mom is basically the only one that I talk tennis to. Other people that I know either don't get what I talk about or just say, "Yeah you know that Russian, the blonde one, is really sexy.......what's her name again?"

Our house is currently divided this way:

Williams Sisters:
me - Serena
mom - Venus

Big American Babes:
me - J.Cap
mom - Lindsay

Old-timers:
me - ASV
mom - Monica Seles

Belgians:
me - Justine
mom - Kim

Men:
me - Andy
mom - Andy

Mom used to like Agassi. Don't know why she suddenly changed camps.
The French Open and Wimbledon are really special for us because its summer and we stay inside all day just to watch them.

AO 2002 was really special. I got to see:
Martina Hingis
Jennifer Capriati
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Daniela Hantuchova
Paola Suarez
Amelie Mauresmo (I was kinda laughing at her because Jen beat Amelie easily, 6-2 6-2)
Adriana Serra-Zanetti
Monica Seles
Kim Clijsters
Justine (at the time) Henin (who I laughed at because she got routinely beaten 6-2 6-2 by Kim)
Marat Safin
Michael Llodra
Pete Sampras

Kristen
03-11-2004, 12:38 PM
LOL Trixy, that's so romantic ;) lol! Cute story though, hitting you in the head and y presto! bf :)

Jeanie, I know what you mean about friends having no idea about tennis. My mates have no idea. If I told them Rainer played Andre in the Aus Open last year they'd all say "who?" and as for liking players ranked in the 80's, god forbid! Who could possibly support such bad tennis players! (according to numbskull mates, not me). So, I educate them. I bring my female friends to the tennis just to show them there is more to tennis than skills. Mind you, it kind of backfired. My friend is now obsessed with Mardy Fish. Luckily for her, she hasn't seen him explode on court! LOL!

alfonsojose
03-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Well, I couldn't agree with you more. When I'm playing I tune out the stress in my life. :)

That's the most beautiful thing about this sport. You feel like home on a tennis court. No matter who is playing, no matter the surface, i always feel like a child when i'm on a tennis court or when i'm watching tennis. It feels like home. :angel:

Yonge
03-11-2004, 01:30 PM
That's the most beautiful thing about this sport. You feel like home on a tennis court. No matter who is playing, no matter the surface, i always feel like a child when i'm on a tennis court or when i'm watching tennis. It feels like home. :angel:

That is especially true for me because I was fortunate enough to live in a house that had a hard court in the backyard. My dad and I are the only ones in our family who likes tennis. The others are basketball freaks (our tennis court doubled as a basketball court most of the time). Now I live in this tiny shoe box of a condo and I miss the privacy of the backyard court so much!

Shadow
03-11-2004, 01:32 PM
I`m the only one who is really interested in Tennis in my family. My mum and dad couldnt care less, they even didnt follow it at the prime times of Graf, Becker and Stich years ago. But they do think Safin is a great player and guy... they dont really know other players cause i mostly talk about Marat ;) My bro hates Tennis, he is only interested in other sports like Soccer, F1 and skijumping. :rolleyes: okay, my oncle plays tennis and he also watches but mostly when Germans are playing. He doesnt know many other players expect the big ones.
But my whole family is obsessed with soccer!!!!!!
Most of my friends arent interested too. Its because Tennis isnt really popular here, as we have not a lot of good players and the people are spoiled by the times of Graf and Becker :sad:
And they think I`m obsessed :o

Experimentee
03-11-2004, 01:39 PM
My brother plays tennis and hes a big tennis fan too. My dad is a casual fan and my mum doesnt really watch tennis, only sometimes when shes in the room, but she knows top players at least.

maratski
03-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Nobody around me is interested in tennis. They think I'm obsessed so I decided not to bring it up again anymore. There's plenty of other people to talk tennis with, although not in real life ;)

I think it's the reason why most of us visit the various boards in cyberspace!

Ma. Estefania
03-11-2004, 03:11 PM
You're right, Ilhame. That's why I'm here.... :)

*Ljubica*
03-11-2004, 05:28 PM
My Mother was the real tennis fan, who took time off from work to watch Wimbledon each year, and took me there from when I was 6 or 7 years old, - the rest of my family weren't really interested though. Before she died she was very ill for a long time, and one of her greatest pleasures was to watch tennis videos that I used to sit and watch with her. Her favourite player was Henri Leconte. I used to play a lot when I was at school and college, but admit that I don't now as I've got lazy and prefer to watch and talk about it rather than do it myself.

As for friends - well I tend to have my tennis friends (who I have met at various tournaments throughout the years and meet up with regularly) but also my old school and college friends (and work colleagues too of course), who just can't understand why I'd rather take time off work to watch tennis instead of lying on a beach somewhere. My ex hated it, and like alfonso, although we didn't split up for that reason, it did sometimes cause problems between us - especially when I wanted to go away for a tennis watching week-end with my friends, or when I used to get up at 3.00am to watch the Australian or US Open matches and he wanted to sleep!

oxy
03-11-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm the only die-hard tennis fan in my family, my dad's fav is soccer...but occasionally when he sees me watching tennis on tv , he will sit in with me, bascally i'm a sports fan, i watch all sports, from soccer to tennis, from f1 to motoGP, from rugby to golf...my mum & sisters couldn't care less about any sports, most of my friends are interested in soccer, a space here is definitely important for me to talk tennis....:yippee:

alfonsojose
03-11-2004, 07:31 PM
OMG .. Welcome to MTF, and space of mental sanity :lol:

My family like the sport but they never are going to talk about it the way i can do here, so .. THANKS INTERNET and THANK U GUYS AND GALS. ;)