The Vamos Tour is optomistic :yeah: [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Vamos Tour is optomistic :yeah:

Johnny Groove
12-29-2006, 01:45 PM
:lol: Rafa leaves Spain for Chennai today, and im not sure if Chennai has the :retard: RR format or not :scratch: Im not sure.

After Chennai, its Sydney, and then AO :yeah:

liisa
12-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Actually, he left for Chennai yesterday.;) With Moya, I think.
They already arrived.

Xristos
12-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Any pics??

mallorn
12-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Any pics??
:lol: Yes, actually. Here are a few taken at the Palma airport, courtesy of vb.com.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/6976/001palmadec28uh6.jpg (http://imageshack.us) http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3295/007dg3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/2683/003diarioadntl2rd1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

There are three Mallorcans in the Chennai draw, Rafa, Charly and Tomeu Salva, who also plays doubles with Rafa.

And no, Jonathan, it's not RR. ;)

Patxy
12-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Hindu.com
29.dec.06
http://www.hindu.com/2006/12/30/stories/2006123004832000.htm
Nadal arrives for Chennai Open

Nandita Sridhar

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3796/2006123004832001uq7.jpg
WELCOME RAFAEL: The World's second best tennis player, Spain's Rafael Nadal, obliges a fan with an autograph after his arrival for the Chennai Open beginning on New Year's Day. — Photo: K. Pichumani

Chennai: What Andy Roddick couldn't do with demonic serving, what Lleyton Hewitt failed to do with wheels for legs, and what Marat Safin couldn't manage with talent in abundance, Rafael Nadal did with a top-spinning forehand almost at chin-music height and a pair of legs running on fifth gear. We're not just talking about beating Roger Federer more number of times than losing to him at the World No.1's prime. We're talking about a repeated and successful assault on a perceived `weakness' of an opponent who leaves most clueless and with their minds clouded with too much awe to even contemplate methods of winning.

Fearless

Tennis needs such fearlessness, and his methods haven't gone unnoticed in Chennai, where the World No. 2 is possibly one of the most eagerly awaited top-seeds in the history of the event. Forget the booming ticket sales for a minute and watch little kids holding rackets bigger than themselves, talk about watching Nadal. His impact has been profound.

And he can thank that Federer-troubling forehand for that. A close look, albeit a less threatening one was on view on Friday evening when the top-seed practiced with fellow-Mallorcan Bartolome Salva Vidal (the duo was given a wildcard for the doubles draw). After some ping-pong tennis fun, he got more serious, with a light warm-up after being given the traditional welcome earlier in the day.

Moya's presence

While the two were hitting on Centre Court, another Spaniard — though one might not call him that in Chennai, a city he loves as much as the city loves him — practiced his once-deadly forehand in the outside court. Two-time champion Carlos Moya arrived on Friday, hitting the courts in the evening.

Earlier, touch-man, Fabrice Santoro treated those watching to a full-fledged display of tennis that once prompted Marat Safin to remark, ``being told I would play Santoro was being told I was to die." The `magician', with quick hands hit some easy-on-the-eye-tough-on-the-opponent's-patience shots, that one has come to expect of him. Just watching the two (Nadal and Santoro) practice, one after the other, gave a slight glimpse of the variety that could be in store, provided they last the distance.

Nadal mania

But the tournament right now, as the kids would vouch for, is mostly about Nadal. He showed us in 2006, what confidence could do. Some might have grudgingly admired his remarkable comeback from injury in early 2006.

Johnny Groove
12-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Actually, he left for Chennai yesterday.;) With Moya, I think.
They already arrived.

:aplot:

And no, Jonathan, it's not RR. ;)

:bounce: and thanks for the pics Ania :kiss:

Btw, does anyone like the thread title? "Vamos Tour?" we could use it all year, but if you dont like it, we dont have to :awww:

Xristos
12-30-2006, 03:13 AM
Thanks. Any of Rafa and Carlos hitting?

mallorn
12-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Btw, does anyone like the thread title? "Vamos Tour?" we could use it all year, but if you dont like it, we dont have to :awww:
I like it, it sounds a bit like those giant pop tours :lol: Let's just hope Rafa will continue being normal and won't turn into a "star" ... although recently he has taken to posing topless for magazines. :rolleyes: ;)

So if I understand you correctly, you want to use one thread for all tournaments in a month? I don't mind, but I do like separate threads for GS events. :)

Thanks. Any of Rafa and Carlos hitting?
According to the article Patxy posted :yeah: Rafa practised with Tomeu and Charly was on a different court. :awww: Just one picture of Raf:

http://estaticos01.cache.el-mundo.net/elmundodeporte/fotos_del_dia/2006/12/29/1167417283_extras_fotos_del_dia_0.jpg

Does he loook like he means business or what? :D

Xristos
12-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Why thank you!! Only a matter of days until we see the green capris!!

mallorn
12-30-2006, 02:10 PM
The draw is out. Phew, both Charly and Tomeu are in the bottom half. :)

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2007/891/MDS.pdf

Xristos
12-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Great draw for Rafa. Clear parth to the final!

VAMOS!

Hopefully Rafa V Carlos final!

Johnny Groove
12-30-2006, 11:05 PM
So if I understand you correctly, you want to use one thread for all tournaments in a month? I don't mind, but I do like separate threads for GS events. :)

not exactly. I only used it for january because he is playing all month.

The plan like before is to have one thread for tourney, but for small events close to each other, i think a special title should be used.

For example, IW and Miami could be: "The Vamos Tour comes to America" or something cheesy like that.

or for the clay: "Monte Carlo welcomes the Vamos Tour" Rome: "The Vamos Tour takes in the scenery in Rome" RG: "Roland Garros tries to boo and jeer the Vamos Tour away, but to no avail"

or something like that. and it should change according to how hes doing, and his level of play (or lack thereof), no?

mallorn
12-31-2006, 10:08 AM

The plan like before is to have one thread for tourney, but for small events close to each other, i think a special title should be used.
Oh, ok. :yeah:

For example, IW and Miami could be: "The Vamos Tour comes to America" or something cheesy like that.

or for the clay: "Monte Carlo welcomes the Vamos Tour" Rome: "The Vamos Tour takes in the scenery in Rome" RG: "Roland Garros tries to boo and jeer the Vamos Tour away, but to no avail"
:haha: Very creative!

or something like that. and it should change according to how hes doing, and his level of play (or lack thereof), no?
Si. :lol:

MariaV
01-01-2007, 05:56 PM

Great idea Jonathan! :yeah: :lol:
Happy New Year everyone! :hug: :wavey:

And Good luck to Rafa tomorrow. 2nd match on Centre after Lord Carlos. :D

CENTRE COURT
Matches Start At: 4:45 PM
Carlos MOYA (ESP) vs Alexander WASKE (GER)
followed by
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs Rainer SCHUETTLER (GER)

mallorn
01-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Happy New Year, Maria! :smooch:

4:45 PM is 12.15 PM CET, isn't it? I'll be leaving for work. :ras:

From Hindustan Times:
Nadal-Vidal pack double punch

S Kannan

Chennai, January 1, 2007

There was nothing fluorescent about Rafael Nadal on Monday. For a change, he wore white, and the brand of tennis he churned out partnering Bartolome Salva-Vidal at the Chennai Open was anything but flashy, as the Spanish duo shocked defending champions Michal Mertinak and Petr Pala 6-1, 6-3 in the first round.

It was unusual for a blue riband event like this that none of the top guns played singles on the opening day. However, it was a day when Nadal treated his fans to the nuances of doubles.

After every point, Nadal went to his 20-year-old partner to discuss strategy. For all those, who have got used to seeing the Spaniard unleashing forehands from the baseline, this was a day when the world’s second best player played with finesse more than power.

Nadal’s touch at the net was a revelation and he executed more volleys than what he would opt for even at the Wimbledon in singles.

It was not the most auspicious start for Mertinak and Pala as the former was broken in the very first game. For all those who have been critical of Nadal getting the doubles wild card, this was the evening when they were silenced once and for all.

In half an hour’s time, Salva-Vidal was also in top gear, as he hit a forehand winner to clinch the first set. There was no change in Mertinak’s poor form in the second set too, as he netted a volley to give the Spaniards a 2-1 lead. From then on, there was no looking back for Nadal, whose court craft and movement caught the eye.

At the post-match conference, Nadal was in a jovial mood. “Now that we have beaten the champions, I hope we can win the title as well,” he said. On playing both the singles and doubles, Nadal said: “I love to play doubles. It is tough to play singles and doubles the whole year but I know doubles improves my game. Maybe, I can play doubles with Roger (Federer) some day. That would be nice!”

For wild card Prakash Amritraj, out of competitive tennis for almost five months, it was a tough job to push the 6 feet 10 inches tall giant Ivo Karlovic. For sheer effort, Prakash scored a lot of points, as he took the giant to a tie-break in the first set. Yet, the final score-line of 7-6 (7/3), 6-3 in Karlovic’s favour made sad news for Indian fans.

Such was the trajectory and boom of Karlovic’s serve that it was impossible for Prakash to even hope of forcing a break. The Indian Davis Cupper, now opting for a single-grip backhand after the left wrist injury, did well in his own service games. But when it came to raising the bar, Prakash flopped, making four unforced errors in the tie-break. It included a double-fault as well.

From there, Karlovic walked away with the match as he had little trouble controlling the pattern of play in the second set.

Results (all 1st round): Singles: Nicolas Mahut bt Alejandro Falla 7-5, 6-4; Stefano Galvani bt Yen-Hsun Lu 6-2, 6-3; Julian Benneteau bt Teimuraz Gabashvili 6-3, 6-4; Kevin Kim bt Simon Greul 1-6, 6-2, 6-3; Ivo Karlovic bt Prakash Amritraj 7-6 (7/3), 6-3; Xavier Malisse bt Danai Udomchoke 6-2, 6-2. Doubles: Tomas Behrend/Robin Vik bt Ashutosh Singh/Vishaal Uppal 6-4, 6-4; Rafael Nadal/Bartolome Salva-Vidal bt Michal Mertinak/Petr Pala 6-1, 6-3.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1885479,00070002.htm

Sunset of Age
01-01-2007, 10:25 PM
"Maybe, I can play doubles with Roger (Federer) some day. That would be nice!”

That would be so AWESOME. Come on guys, make it happen! :worship:

Castafiore
01-01-2007, 10:48 PM
After every point, Nadal went to his 20-year-old partner to discuss strategy. For all those, who have got used to seeing the Spaniard unleashing forehands from the baseline, this was a day when the world’s second best player played with finesse more than power.
Would have loved to see that. I missed the doubles match due to a New Year's party and I'm going to miss the singles match tomorrow (office party) :(

"Roland Garros tries to boo and jeer the Vamos Tour away, but to no avail" :yeah:

The outfit he's been wearing for the doubles match in Chennai looks great, doesn't it? :)

Happy New Year, everybody!

Xristos
01-02-2007, 01:53 AM
V A M M O S!

The Pro
01-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Federer's too much of an old stiff to go for that.

Plus he thinks Nadal would get a better handle of his game...

MariaV
01-02-2007, 01:48 PM
6-4 6-2 vs Schüttler in 1 h 26 min. :D
A bit of a slow start it seemed with losing his serve but recovered well so hopefully it'll all be good. :D :wavey:
1st serve % 46% doesn't exactly impress but no need to read too much into stats I guess.

Xristos
01-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Dang! Im going crazyy looking for pics in Rafa in his new green capris...

Naide
01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
VAMOSSSShttp://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8603/17kz7gj8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Carlita
01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
patience is a virtue :angel:

Xristos
01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
VAMOSSSShttp://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8603/17kz7gj8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Its amazing how I showed everyone the pics 2 and a half monthes ago and everyone hated it now they will all love it.

Naide
01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Its amazing how I showed everyone the pics 2 and a half monthes ago and everyone hated it now they will all love it.

i love everything in rafa lol

Johnny Groove
01-02-2007, 02:47 PM

i personally think itd hideous :scared:

linus
01-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Rafa, win and win pls :yippee:

Sunset of Age
01-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Who is "everyone"? That outfit is still atrocious. :eek:

Glad Rafa won, BTW!

Castafiore
01-02-2007, 04:05 PM
That dark green looks good on his tanned skin but it's the pattern in it I don't like.

I wouldn't call the outfit "hideous", but it's not exactly my favorite outfit.

01-02-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't really care for the outfit either. The colors of the shirt and pants don't look good together IMO. But who cares he won and that is what is most important :)

mallorn
01-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Good result. :yeah: The players are rusty and these supposedly straightforward matches can be tricky, as Nalbandian found out. :o

On a shallow note, I don't particularly like the outfit (the pattern on the piratas to be precise), but at least it's better than the first one Xristos posted. :rolleyes: I like the colour combination better than the recent red and black and dark yellow and black.
Best Foot Forward

In preparation for the Australian Open (which he missed last year with a foot injury), Rafael Nadal started his 2007 season with straight-sets win over Rainer Schuettler at the Chennai Open.

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2007/0102/ten_a_nadal_412.jpg
AP Photo/M. Lakshman
Nadal is looking for his first tournament title since the French Open.

Nadal not 100 percent, but cruises past Schuettler

MADRAS, India -- Top-seeded Rafael Nadal opened the year with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Rainer Schuettler of Germany, and fifth-seeded Carlos Moya of Spain defeated Germany's Alexander Waske 7-6 (3), 6-3 in the first round of the Chennai Open on Tuesday.

The 20-year-old Nadal, ranked second in the world, looked rusty early, and Schuettler took a 4-2 lead by breaking Nadal in the sixth game. But Nadal won four straight games to take the first set, and eased through the second set for the victory.

"This being the first outing of a new season, I wasn't 100 percent," Nadal said.

"I need some more matches to strike top form, but I'm happy to get past Rainer who I know can be a very dangerous opponent," said Nadal.

Two-time tournament winner Moya, who has been a finalist for the past three years, found his form in the second set after needing a tiebreaker to win the opener.

"I had a hard time reading his game. Waske's a difficult player and had beaten me in our only previous encounter," said Moya, a former world No. 1 now ranked 43rd in the world.

Sixth-seeded Frenchman Fabrice Santoro had an easier first-round match as his Czech opponent David Skoch retired because of back stress in the first set when Santoro led 3-0.

Indian wild card Karan Rastogi beat Thiago Alves of Brazil 6-3, 6-4 to move into a second round meeting with Nadal.

In other first-round matches, Bjorn Phau of Germany defeated Olivier Patience of France 6-4, 6-4, Italian Davide Sanguinetti beat Konstantinos Economidis of Greece 6-4, 6-3 and Austria's Stefan Koubek rallied past Bartolome Salva-Vidal of Spain 2-6, 6-3, 7-5. [not a bad fight from Tomeu, going by the result :yeah: ]

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2717369

Johnny Groove
01-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Good result. :yeah: The players are rusty and these supposedly straightforward matches can be tricky, as Nalbandian found out. :o

David is a completely different scenario :o

mallorn
01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
David is a completely different scenario :o
I know, but s*** happens. ;)

MariaV
01-02-2007, 05:16 PM
That dark green looks good on his tanned skin but it's the pattern in it I don't like.

I wouldn't call the outfit "hideous", but it's not exactly my favorite outfit.

Seems we agree once again. :D :wavey:
Better the olive green shorts like Murray had w/o this stupid pattern.

Nadal overcomes Schuettler in Chennai Open
Tue Jan 2, 2007 4:05 PM GMT

By Sanjay Rajan

CHENNAI, India, Jan 2 (Reuters) - Spanish world number two Rafael Nadal began the new season with a 6-4 6-2 first round victory over German Rainer Schuettler in the Chennai Open on Tuesday.

The 20-year-old left-hander, dressed in a bright yellow sleeveless tee-shirt and green capris, ended the German's challenge in 86 minutes after himself looking rusty in a first set that lasted 50 minutes.

"I needed the win, I wasn't feeling 100 per cent fluent coming back into competition after the break," the top seed told a news conference after the victory.

"It's good to begin the season with a victory, but I need more match practice before going to Australia (for the season's first grand slam)."

Nadal, who exited in the first round in his only previous appearance here as a rookie three years ago, looked out of sorts in the opening set. :awww:

Schuettler, finalist at the 2003 Australian Open, broke Nadal in the sixth game but faltered on his serves to be broken in the seventh and ninth games as the Spaniard took control.

The two-times French Open champion pumped in five aces and relied on power to clinch the crucial points as he saved a break point and won the opening set on the second set point.

Nadal, who registered an outstanding 59-12 record in 2006, gained rhythm in the second set and broke his opponent in the first and fourth games.

He will meet India's Karan Rastogi in the second round.

Earlier former world number one Carlos Moya of Spain, seeded fifth, dismantled German Alexander Waske 7-6 6-3 in 80 minutes.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?storyid=2007-01-02T160526Z_01_B25446_RTRIDST_0_TENNIS-MEN-CHENNAI-PICTURE.XML&type=tennisNews&WTmodLoc=Tennis-C3-More-4

Johnny Groove
01-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Tomeu lost :sad:

Is Rafa playing singles and/or doubles tomorrow?

MariaV
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Hmm, the OOP is out and no doubles or singles for Rafa tomorrow.
Hope you're doing well, Jonathan! :D :wavey:

mallorn
01-02-2007, 09:06 PM
^^ Bleh, he'll have to play twice on Thursday. :(

From The Statesman:
Pranks and practice

Statesman News Service

CHENNAI, Jan. 2: They say their is a kid in every man and top tennis players are no exception. On court, playing for a point, their killer instinct is mostly evident, but in a lighter mood, they show a different side of their personality.

A lot of that was seen today with Rafael Nadal becoming a naughty 21-year-old, :rolleyes: playing pranks on seniors like Carlos Moya and David Nalbandian during practice.

And he was ably supported by his doubles partner Bartolome Salva-Vidal.

Nadal mimicked Moya and Nalbandian, and was soon joined by Vidal.

While Nalbandian enjoyed it all, sitting in a corner of the court, Moya chose to be more active.

He pretended to be angry, only to break out in laughter later.

But fun over, once they started practising seriously, the fire in their rivalry came out. Friendship is only till the time they step on the court.

http://www.thestatesman.net/page.news.php?clid=5&theme=&usrsess=1&id=142262

Sunset of Age
01-02-2007, 09:25 PM
That Statesman article sure shows Rafa's having a lot of fun and being happy for being back on court. Great to read!

Johnny Groove
01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Hope you're doing well, Jonathan! :D :wavey:

:kiss: Im doin great, you?

Patxy
01-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Mid-Day.com
03.jan.07
Interview to current Rafa's coach, Francis Roig.
Nadal is a born champion: Roig
By: Chitrabhanu R Kadalayil

CHENNAI: Francis Roig feels the best thing about coaching Rafael Nadal is that he is ever receptive to new ideas. The Barcelona resident, who travels with the world No 2 for about seven to eight weeks at the beginning of every year (for the last three years), believes being a champion is in-born.

“Rafael is a ‘born champion’, ” he said in a quick-fire interview with
MiD DAY just before Nadal beat Rainer Schuettler 6-4, 6-2 yesterday. But he believes the two-time French Open champion has some way to go in his development, a reason that should keep him interested in the game for many more years to come.

Scary? Read on.

How easy or difficult is it to coach someone like Nadal?
I don’t know about easy or difficult. It is certainly interesting. Rafael is so sharp and with a keen sense to learn. A quality of good players is to keep learning, and he is so fast in grasping… it can be fun to coach him.

So he processes it so fast in his brain, he immediately creates an impact…
Yes.

So what do you teach him? What can you teach him?
A little of everything. But we deal mostly with strategy and technique. He is very strong mentally. He listens very carefully and is good at observation.

So what are you dealing with specifically?
Most importantly, to become an all-round player. While most Spanish players like clay, Rafael does well on hard court also. And reached the Wimbledon final last year. He wants to develop his game. We constantly work to reduce his weaknesses, to win the free points more consistently and keep his morale high all the time.

What does he (Nadal) do to chill out?
He plays a lot of golf.

Surfaces are changing constantly…
Yeah, with hardcourts and grasscourts getting slower, it is good for the Spanish players.

Can Nadal wear himself out physically, considering he plays such a physical game?
I don’t think so. He is so strong. Stronger than most players. You should see the way he hits shots off the difficult positions. It is because he is very strong and athletic. But there is so much he can achieve before that.

What makes him a champion?
He is a born champion. You give him a tight situation, he loves it. He does better than others because he is able to win in tight situations.

What has he done for Spanish tennis?
In Spain, he is such a hero. More and more children are taking up the game. He has also raised the level of tennis. Most importantly, he is a good human being.
http://ww3.mid-day.com/sports/international/2007/january/149469.htm

Castafiore
01-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Hey MariaV! :wavey:

Thanks, PaTxy. We're getting some good articles from Chennai!

MariaV
01-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi Castafiore! :wavey:
Lovely articles indeed, thanks Patxy! :worship:

MariaV
01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Hello lovelies! :wavey:
Busy day for Rafa tomorrow.

CENTRE COURT
Paradorn SRICHAPHAN (THA) vs Stefan KOUBEK (AUT)
followed by
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs Karan RASTOGI (IND)
followed by
Igor ANDREEV (RUS) vs Julien BENNETEAU (FRA)
followed by
Sonchat RATIWATANA (THA)/Paradorn SRICHAPHAN (THA) vs Rafael NADAL (ESP)/Bartolome SALVA-VIDAL (ESP)

VAMOS and hopefully there won't be any bad surprises. :bigclap: :bounce:

NeverSayDie
01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Vamos Nadal! :bounce: And i agree, the new outfit isnt exactly.....nice :o

Jogg
01-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Vamos Rafa :bounce:

Rafa was playing a bit of cricket today :)

Nadal takes lessons from Srikkanth

PTI
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 18:09 IST

CHENNAI: The Spaniards might be strangers to cricket. But World No 2 Rafael Nadal took some cricketing lessons from former Indian captain Krishnamachari Srikkanth before facing his second round opponent, India's Karan Rastogi, on the centre court at the Nungambakkam Tennis Stadium.

The tennis ace even hit a 'six' during the 10-minute "friendly match" played on a 16-yard pitch and was excited throughout as he hit a few wonderful shots much to the joy of the spectators.

The left-hander said he enjoyed the game and was looking forward to playing it again. The Spaniard said he was honoured to receive tips from Srikkanth, a dashing bat during his heydays.

The former skipper was all praise for Nadal's acumen "for line and length."

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1072552

PoderShileno
01-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Vamoss Rafa¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Patxy
01-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Short vid Rafa practicing with Francis Roig :p
03.jan.07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGny9o3fzbY
http://rapidshare.com/files/10077900/Roig_is_the_man_behind_Rafa_s_success.wmv.html

Learning cricket with former Indian player Krishnamachari Srikkanth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsVrnud1GlE
http://rapidshare.com/files/10098854/cheeka_rastogi.wmv.html

Xristos
01-04-2007, 03:14 AM
A Vamoooooooos!

Naide
01-04-2007, 02:31 PM
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5046/72912851vb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Vamoooos

Xristos
01-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Good win Rafa!

Johnny Groove
01-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Rafa wins in doubles :dance:

01-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Rafa is winning in both Singles and Doubles :yippee:

Jogg
01-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Well done Rafa :yeah: Sanguinetti next

:bounce: Vamos Rafa

MariaV
01-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Good day for Rafa! :yeah: :D
Hopefully he can handle grandpa Davide nicely! :D VAMOS!!!!! :bounce: :bigclap:
Rafa playing 2nd tomorrow.

CENTRE COURT
Xavier MALISSE (BEL) vs Fabrice SANTORO (FRA)
followed by
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs Davide SANGUINETTI (ITA)

Patxy
01-05-2007, 01:50 AM
I can't wait to see him arriving in Australia:D

:armed: Vamos Kid!!! :armed:

Derek1206
01-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Go Rafa! :banana:

Xristos
01-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Vamoooooos!

PoderShileno
01-05-2007, 12:28 PM
dALeeeeeee'''''''''''''''''''''¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Xristos
01-05-2007, 12:35 PM
V A M M O O O O Os!

Johnny Groove
01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
and he wins again :) didnt face a break point either :)

01-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Rock on Rafa :rocker:

Naide
01-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Vamosss Sexy

mallorn
01-05-2007, 01:45 PM
And he won under an hour. :eek: (Ok, only by 14 seconds :p but still...)

I didn't see the match, but it looks like he was going for it on his serve (7 aces and 3 DFs, 95% of first serves won). Did anyone watch it?

Johnny Groove
01-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I was shocked to see the serving stats too! and he didnt face a break point either :eek:

and under an hr? :D

Xristos
01-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Good win.

MariaV
01-05-2007, 01:49 PM
6-3 6-2 and this only in 1 hr! :D Or as the SB said 59:46. :lol:
Well done dear, now go & get the title! Before that Malisse in the semis. Btw Malisse will have his doubles qf tonight so...
VAMOS!!! :bounce: :bigclap:

delaitre
01-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Well done Rafa, it's wonderful!
And VAMOS for tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!

mallorn
01-05-2007, 03:50 PM
From AFP via Yahoo!:
Title-starved Nadal enters Chennai Open semi-finals

by Kuldip Lal 15 minutes ago

CHENNAI, India (AFP) - World number two Rafael Nadal has stepped closer to his first ATP title in seven months when he cruised into the Chennai Open semi-finals.

The 20-year-old top seed, cheered by some 2,000 Indian fans, whipped David Sanguinetti of Italy 6-3, 6-2 in the quarter-final of the 416,000-dollar season opener.

Nadal's semi-final opponent on Saturday will be third seed Xavier Malisse of Belgium, who defeated veteran Frenchman Fabrice Santoro 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 in an hour and 40 minutes.

Left-handed Nadal won five titles from his first eight tournaments in 2006, including a second consecutive French Open crown in June. But he drew a blank in the last eight events of the year.

The 34-year-old Sanguinetti, whose ranking slipped from 40 in 2005 to 110 in the year gone by, had no answer to Nadal's powerful ground strokes and booming serves.

Nadal found the hour-long duel so easy that he went to an outer court soon after the match for a further 30-minute workout.

"This match was not difficult for me because I played very well," he said. "I was feeling good about my game and so decided to play some more to keep up the momentum.

"It is good to be in the semi-final of the first tournament of the year. Of course I want to win every event I play but that is not always possible.

"I take it one match at a time. I have two more to play here."

Malisse, ranked 37th in the world, said he looked forward to the challenge of facing Nadal.

"I have only played him once and lost, but that was on clay and everybody loses to Nadal on clay," said Malisse, who finished in the top 50 for the fifth time in six years.

"But it should be a good match on the hard surface here. You practice in the off-season to prepare yourself to play against the big players.

"I have nothing to lose really. If I don't win, no one will say a thing to me because he is expected to call the shots. So all the pressure will be on him."

Both Malisse and Santoro played an error-prone match which saw 10 service breaks, but the Belgian was satisfied with his current form.

"I think this was my best match of the three so far," said Malisse. "There were more errors because I played more aggressively than before."

The 34-year-old Santoro, who began his 19th year on the circuit, was presented a special plaque by former Indian Davis Cup star Vijay Amritraj after the match.

"For me, tennis is not only about winning but presenting a good image of yourself and your country to the world," said Santoro, who turned professional in 1989.

"I think I still have a lot of tennis left in me," the 52nd-ranked Frenchman added.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070105/sp_wl_afp/tennisatpind_070105162013

From CNN-IBN:
Spain brings a unique tennis culture

Roma Khanna
CNN-IBN
Posted Friday , January 05, 2007 at 20:24 Email Print

http://static.ibnlive.com/pix/sitepix/01_2007/nadal_moya248.jpg
NO GENERATION GAP HERE: Spain's Rafael Nadal, Bartolome Salva Vidal and Carlos Moya at a training session in Chennai.

Chennai: The Chennai Open this year in many ways has been the story of two Spaniards, former world number one Carlos Moya and the current world number two Rafael Nadal.

The Moya-Nadal connection is a reflection of a unique tennis culture, where acting mentor to the younger crop comes naturally.

It isn't often you see the best players on tour relaxing together, finding ways to improve each other's games, a rare sight at this year's Chennai Open.

Carlos Moya got a young Nadal to Chennai in 2004. Moya won the singles title and Nadal went on to win the doubles, and it's a friendship that has grown over the years with Nadal now the success story that King Carlos once was.

"We know each other for a long time and this time, the way I helped him, he helped me. Because he's been an inspiration for me and he forces you to improve day after day. I want to keep on playing with him," Moya, the world No 43 says.

And Nadal now has taken over the role of a mentor for young Bartolome Salva Vidal. Nadal played a crucial hand in Vidal getting a wild card and is even playing doubles with his young friend.

"We have played together a lot of times. We won the juniors, the world cup together two times. So, we feel very good together on court and outside of it too. This is the first time that we are playing the ATP Tour doubles, and I would love it is we could play together (ahead)," Nadal says.

One of the main reasons why Spanish tennis is blooming is this unselfish interest in developing the younger crop. And as Moya puts it, if you have a friend from home then you are not really alone, in some ways its home away from home.

Spaniards Carlos Moya and Rafael Nadal share the same jokes, they practise together and are there for each other in times of crisis. And in a sport where you are on your own, all of a sudden, life is not so lonely.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/spain-brings-a-unique-tennis-culture/30401-5.html

You can watch a clip of Rafa, Charly and Tomeu practising if you follow this link:
http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/30401/spain-brings-a-unique-tennis-culture.html

Xristos
01-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Where is V with all the pics?

Patxy
01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Asianage.com
05jan07
What makes Nadal the real deal?

By C. Santhosh Kumar

Chennai. Jan. 5: The only blip for Roger Federer in an otherwise impeccable 2006 was his failure to add the French Open to his three grand slam titles. Though he managed to take a set off Rafael Nadal in Paris, the Spanish youngster proved that he was still the master of clay. Nadal later confounded his critics by progressing to the final at Wimbledon on his least favourite surface.

The sleek Swiss star may be a connoisseur’s delight for the way he plays his tennis but there can be no doubt that Nadal is the brightest young kid on the block. His gung-ho attitude and high-octane style have made him the most talked about youngster in any sport. Argentine legend Guillermo Vilas hit the nail on the head with his comment on the World No. 2: "Nadal is a great player. He breathes tennis. He is an inspiration to many like Borg and I were in our generation."

The Spaniard has given the 2007 Chennai Open a huge lift by his electric presence. This paper spoke to two experts to find out what makes Nadal tick.

German Dirk Hordorff, the long-time coach of former World No. 5 Rainer Schuettler, says: "Nadal is one of my favourite players. He is a treat to watch when he is in full flow. I have never seen an energetic player like him before.

The way he maintains his intensity throughout the match is amazing. Whether he is two-sets up or two-sets down, he is a fighter to the core. What makes Nadal different from others is that he battles for every point. Players do mature with experience, but Nadal is remarkably focused even in his early 20s.

"Nadal wasn’t a natural left-hander. He was forced to shift from right to left by his uncle-cum-coach, Tony. It’s now paying dividends as Nadal is able to hit powerful crosscourt forehands to his opponents’ weaker backhand side. And nobody hits forehands with as much spin as Nadal does. It’s not easy to ready his shots.

"If Nadal improves his serve and backhand, he can surely beat Federer even on grass. I strongly believe that the gulf between the No. 1 and 2 is narrowing. The key point is at 20 Nadal is much better than Federer was at that age."

Indian legend Ramesh Krishnan says: "I’m impressed by Nadal’s passion for excellence and his desire to learn. His final appearance at the 2006 Wimbledon was a proof of his determination. Impressive net play, backhand volleys and killing forehands are his plusses.

"He adapts well to different surfaces. He is not a flashy player, and his basics are solid."
http://www.asianage.com/presentation/leftnavigation/news/sports/what-makes-nadal-the-real-deal.aspx

Patxy
01-05-2007, 06:49 PM
The Hindu
05jan07
Nadal: a curiously detached fellow

Vijay Parthasarathy

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5231/2007010613892101ya9.jpg
Rafael Nadal. — Photo: R. Ragu
CHENNAI:We are sitting in the VIP lounge that neighbours the outside courts, Rafael Nadal and a few Indian journalists, late on Thursday. The World No.2 has acquiesced to a round table interview and he sits there staring at the penne pasta that the waiter has just served him.

"More," Nadal says with a frown. A growing boy must have his fill, after all.

Nadal mumbles his replies between mouthfuls over the drone of the air-conditioner. The disturbance doesn't seem to annoy him, he's as focused on making his point as he is while playing in front of crowds.

That Nadal's pace should defy his bulk regularly provokes surprise, for example, but as he observes, there are heavier players on the Tour. "You see mine because of my cut sleeves," he says with a grin. "Maybe my biceps have better definition, but I'm not the strongest."

But in general, his responses to tennis-related questions aren't as fascinating as the ones that allow one an insight into his mind. He is a curiously detached fellow. When someone asks if he thinks of himself as a sex symbol he responds with a haughty shrug: "I don't think about that."

Interesting to watch

This past week, everyone's been talking about how down-to-earth Nadal is, how good he is with the fans. He's been consistently polite to journalists even if some of their questions irritate him. Every once in a while, he twists his neck towards the translator and spouts a torrent of Spanish. It's always interesting to watch a person speak in his native tongue.

There is more eye contact, the thought process is not impeded by things like a fractured vocabulary, the facial expressions are less ambiguous and easier to interpret. Sometimes, during these moments of fluency, Nadal lets his mask of geniality drop. Then his features resume their inscrutability.

Nothing wrong with that, of course. Everyone is permitted the occasional scowl. It's our urge to slot celebrities into categories like `down-to-earth' or `nice guy' that is unfair and glib.

Now, when I ask curiously if fame has made it harder for him to make new friends, his face contorts briefly in a mix of bafflement and distaste. "I don't understand," he says. "How is it harder? I have my same group of friends from the time I was in nursery school, I stay in the same place with my family. I meet new people, make new contacts."

Normal guy

That strikes me as a non-sequitur but I persist: doesn't he get the feeling that people will sometimes want to get to know him only because he's famous? He smiles half-exasperated, half-incredulous. "I don't understand. I don't think like that, I'm a normal guy with a normal job. People are nice, and I am nice too. That's only the right thing."

How much that perspective is limited by problems in communication, and how much by cheerful optimism is hard to judge. At any rate his English has improved tremendously over the past six months. He no longer frequently punctuates his responses with "no," as in "He played well, no, he has a good backhand, no."

Nadal concludes our sessions with some relevant advice for ambitious parents. Nine-year-olds, he stresses, shouldn't be subjected to too much pressure. "That happens a lot these days. It's most important to enjoy the game when you're younger. When I was nine, I went to the beach, watched movies, played football. Then if your game is okay at 12 or 13, then they should consider playing professionally."
http://www.hindu.com/2007/01/06/stories/2007010613892100.htm

mallorn
01-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks Patxy! :hug:

From Hindustan Times:
Nadal demolishes Sanguinetti in style

S Kannan

Chennai, January 5, 2007

There was a ruthless streak in Rafael Nadal's game as the Spaniard demolished Davide Sanguinetti 6-3, 6-2 in exactly an hour to enter the semifinals of the $4, 36,000 Chennai Open tennis.

Undoubtedly the star attraction in this southern metropolis, Nadal had looked human against Karan Rastogi just a day back. But on Friday, it was almost a robotic Nadal who belted winners into the corners. He played at such a hot pace that the befuddled Italian looked like a bystander.

Earlier on, the Centre Court was treated to some aggressive tennis from Xavier Malisse, as he got rid off Fabrice Santoro 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 in the quarterfinals. But it was Nadal who once again had fans on their feet in the packed Nungambakkam Stadium. He wielded the racquet like a bludgeon and punished the fuzzy ball.

For the young girls inside, watching darling ‘Rafa’ was a treat. The long sweat-drenched locks had been pushed back with the bandanna. But as he covered the court with gazelle-like grace, :lol: Sanguinetti knew he did not have a ghost of a chance against Nadal.

Nadal's flourescent T-shirt and long green shorts added to his appeal as he had to generate his own pace in the rallies. The forehand, for sure, was one shot that one could have talked about till midnight. But the Spaniard also impressed with such sharp reflexes and court-craft that Sanguinetti just did not know what to do.

Sanguinetti, 34, represents the old generation clay courters who construct points and believe in subtle changes of pace as variety in rallies. There were exchanges when Sanguinetti sliced and diced, giving no space to Nadal. But whatever sanguine hopes the Italian had of challenging Nadal fell apart in no time as the top seed got breaks of serve with ease in the first set. The second set was almost heading for a whitewash before Sanguinetti held to make it 1-4. And though Sanguinetti tried hard with his lobs, he could not match Nadal. After the match, Nadal walked off to practice for half an hour! :D He then went to the locker room and took a cold water shower. "It was not a long match and I was feeling good. I just wanted to continue feeling good, so I went and practiced," said Nadal.

Talking about the semifinal against Malisse, Nadal said: "Malisse is a complete player and has all the shots. It will be a tough match but I am feeling good."

Fire in the belly

For Xavier Malisse, the third seed, this was one match where he showed fire in his belly. Up against Fabrice Santoro, Malisse stroked hard. He knew that Santoro, 34 and immensely experienced, was wily and with his unconventional double-grip shots could make it difficult. But as Malisse was to say after the match: “It was important for me to be aggressive from the start."

Results: (Q/F): Xavier Malisse bt Fabrice Santoro 6-4, 4-6, 6-0; Rafael Nadal bt Davide Sanguinetti 6-3, 6-2; Carlos Moya bt Ivo Karlovic 6-4, 7-6 (8/6).

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1889614,00070002.htm

mallorn
01-05-2007, 07:09 PM
An interview from Hindustan Times:
‘FedEx better than Sampras’

S Kannan

Chennai, January 5, 2007

Rafael Nadal is a tough lad, as his bulging biceps and laser-sharp forehand show. However, beneath the steely veneer, there is another side of the champion. He is simple and fun loving, a man who enjoys what he does on and off the court.

In a freewheeling chat, Rafa, as the world knows him, talks on a whole gamut of issues. And unlike other champions, he is not boring. He likes the beach, football and partying! Excerpts:

Your best matches against Federer?

I do not agree with what people say — that I played better at Wimbledon than Federer did at the French. They were different matches in different places on different surfaces. Maybe I don’t play my best at the Wimbledon and maybe he (Federer) doesn’t play his best at the Roland Garros. For me the best match against him were the semifinals at Roland Garros and Masters Cup. These two matches were better than the Wimbledon final.

Who is better, Sampras or Federer?

I can’t say for sure. But for me, the better player is Federer. He is a complete player as he has all the shots. Though, in the end it will be measured by who wins more Grand Slam titles. I guess the thing that people need to see is not just the number of Grand Slam titles but also the points. Federer now has 8300 (ATP ranking) points. When Sampras was number one, he had just 5000 points. However, people can still differ in opinions. For me though, Federer is better than Sampras.

How do you manage Federer?

When I get on court, I try my best and that’s it. There’s no secret.

How do you view yourself — a 20-year-old or the world No. 2?

It depends on where I am. When I am playing a tournament and on court, I think I am the number two because that gives me confidence. :yeah: But when I am at home in Mallorca with my family and friends, I behave like a normal 20-year-old guy. :yeah:

Has life changed in the last three years?

Life at home has not changed for me. I still have the same friends. I still live with my family in the same place. But away from home, there are more things to do, more events with sponsors, and everybody knows I am better than before.

Do you get irritated when people come up to you for autograph?

No. I always try to be nice with everybody because everybody wants to get it!

How do you unwind?

I like playing golf. I go to the beach and fish. I love football and go to the stadium to watch games. And I do go to parties with my friends.

Your favourite teams?

Mallorca and Real Madrid.

Your uncle played in a World Cup... Did you ever think of a career in football?

I played football when I was around 15. I loved football and wanted to represent Spain. I was a good player too… And it was difficult when I had to decide.

For a player of your size, isn’t your speed a bit surprising?

No, I don’t think so.

How much of your training is on court and how much of it is in the gym?

I work more on court. I have a special trainer and a physio. I also concentrate a lot on my physical training because I think it’s very important to be 100 per cent for your game.

What is your advice to kids who want to become Rafael Nadal?

I don’t know. Just enjoy the game and enjoy the competition. When kids are eight or nine, they usually think about becoming a professional. For me, when I was eight, I went to tournaments only to enjoy. I used to play with my friends. We used to play football or go swimming.That should be the most important thing when you’re young. When you are 13 or 14, and your game is okay, then you can think of being a little more professional.

You were injured before the French Open last season. How difficult was it to stage a comeback?

When you are injured, it is very difficult to make a comeback because you are at home without practice, without decent competition. Well, I had a very good life (recovering) and when I came back and started winning, it gave me a lot of confidence. So it was difficult but it (coming back) was a very, very nice moment for me.

Do you mistrust fame?

No and why should I? I have my friends. I have friends from Mallorca and especially the ones from my school, who have been with me since I was three or four years old. There are seven or eight of us and we always hang out together. Those are my friends, my real friends. Apart from them, I have my friends on the Tour like Carlos Moya and Feliciano Lopez. Then there are others who become friends just because you’re famous but those are actually not your friends…

You have a sex symbol tag?

I don’t think about that. :angel:

Physically, you are a lot bigger than other tennis players, your arms…..

Maybe that’s not true. Maybe it seems like this because I play like this (in sleeveless singlets). You see my arms, you don’t see the arms of the rest — that’s the truth. My arms may be a little more well defined, especially the biceps. But they are not the biggest.

What is lacking in your game?

Although I am happy with myself now, I need to improve a lot. I am just 20. I need to improve my winners and volleying. You can improve in all aspects of your game.

Are you interested in fashion?

Not really. I do like to dress well, but that’s it. [Hmmmmmmmm... :o ]

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1889694,0007.htm

mallorn
01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
From DNA Sport:
A regular bloke who plays killer tennis

Sukhwant Basra
Friday, January 05, 2007 23:59 IST

CHENNAI: Each player follows a pre-match ritual to psyche himself up. With the top players, usually this time is an intense period which they like to spend in isolation preparing themselves mentally before they unleash on court.

Rafael Nadal is different.

Usually for a player of his calibre and stature, a tournament would provide a separate room where lesser beings need not tread. But Rafa seems to need no such frills.

Before his match against Davide Sanguinetti, Nadal is sprawled out in the medical room - a place where players and a host of people connected with the tournament flit in and out addressing their various ailments. He’s chatting with his coach and listening to music, breaking into impromptu jigs every now and then.

The Xavier Malisse/ Fabrice Santoro contest stretches out into the third set. Nadal jokes in Spanish, begins to do a few shadow swings and then examines his racquets.

Unlike many other top pros he himself tapes up each frame, putting on new overgrips.

The music is a constant companion. Whack! The swinging racquet smacks into the bed. Nadal looks around apologetic at the physicians and trainers in the room.

“Go ahead, go ahead break it now,” jokes one. He smiles his little boy smile and continues his shadow drill.

“What do I need a separate room for? There is nothing secret in what I do,” he smiles a candid response at the query. “I am just like any other player,” is the disarming addition. “I take a cold shower, warm up and am ready to go.”

As the Malisse match begins to end, Nadal gets off from the bed that he has been easing out on as the match unfolds on TV and does a bit of spot running moving those piston calves at frightening speed.

The contrast between the laze of a few moments ago and the flurry of movement is quite astounding.

He smiles at the ‘best of luck’ thrown his way and steps out to demolish Sanguinetti 6-3, 6-2 in 59 minutes with the forehand flowing free.

Being the athlete that only he is — even though he claims that the main reason why his biceps jump into your face is because he wears Ts sans sleeves — he immediately walks off to the outside practice court to continue hitting for another 30 minutes for the “feeling was good out there and I wanted to continue to enjoy”.

That then is Rafa — a regular bloke who just happens to play killer tennis.

In other matches, Carlos Moya (Spain) beat Ivo Karlovic (Croatia) 6-4 7-6 (6) while third seed Xavier Malisse (Belgium) beat 6-Fabrice Santoro (France) 6-4 4-6 6-0.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1072951

Johnny Groove
01-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the articles, Ania and everyone :kiss:

Sunset of Age
01-05-2007, 07:27 PM
And he won under an hour. :eek: (Ok, only by 14 seconds :p but still...)

I didn't see the match, but it looks like he was going for it on his serve (7 aces and 3 DFs, 95% of first serves won). Did anyone watch it?

I saw the complete match, and though I'm very happy with the result, I feel I should temper everyone's cheering for a little bit - Davide was NO opponent to Rafa at all, and Rafa surely didn't play his best, as if he knew he didn't really need to do so (well, nothing wrong with saving a bit of energy, no? ;) ). He produced a lot of unforced errors on 'sub-optimal' returns...
The ATP stats are a bit too flattering for him.

Anyway, I'm sure he can do a lot better, and I guess he will have to tomorrow, if Malisse is in good form. I'm looking forward to that match!
(I hope there'll be a live stream available for it - I think so...)

Thank you very much for all the articles, Mallorn - even though their 'depth' in general doesn't go beyond that of a rubber boat. :rolleyes: ;)

mallorn
01-05-2007, 07:42 PM
I saw the complete match, and though I'm very happy with the result, I feel I should temper everyone's cheering for a little bit - Davide was NO opponent to Rafa at all, and Rafa surely didn't play his best, as if he knew he didn't really need to do so (well, nothing wrong with saving a bit of energy, no? ;) ). He produced a lot of unforced errors on 'sub-optimal' returns...
The ATP stats are a bit too flattering for him.
I haven't seen him play this week but don't you think he might've been trying out new things in match conditions, knowing the opponent wasn't going to challenge him seriously, hence the UEs? Looking at the stats, that's the impression I get. It's also possible that he just didn't want to go for more than he had to, which wouldn't have been very smart anyway.

Sunset of Age
01-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I haven't seen him play this week but don't you think he might've been trying out new things in match conditions, knowing the opponent wasn't going to challenge him seriously, hence the UEs? Looking at the stats, that's the impression I get. It's also possible that he just didn't want to go for more than he had to, which wouldn't have been very smart anyway.

That could very well be the case, indeed! I must say his serve was very impressing - he tried out a lot, hence the 6 aces and 3 DF's, and it was obvious to me that he's been working hard at that, so I think you're right about this.
Anyway, I trust him to be able to do even a lot better in his upcoming matches, and in the AO as well. :worship:

Johnny Groove
01-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Nadal blew his chances against Malisse today. X-man tried so hard to give Rafa the match, but Rafa didnt seem to want it. :o

he's still in the doubles, but looking ahead to next week, in Sydney, his draw is: http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2007/338/MDS.pdf

Its a tough field. Home-guy Guccione and his big serve in the first round, 2nd round Melzer/Santoro, QF= Berdych, SF- Blake/Malisse/Tursunov, F- Grosjean/Verdasco/Moya/Pim Pim/Baghdatis/Gasquet/Davydenko

:eek:

mallorn
01-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Nadal blew his chances against Malisse today.
You can say that again.

He actually played well, stayed near the baseline, came to the net, went for his shots, wore Malisse down. It's just that he couldn't convert one of the 6 setpoints. On some of them Malisse served really well, but others were just very weak UEs from Rafa. Rafa was winning his serving games easily in the later stages of the second set and putting pressure on Malisse, but when it really mattered, he let it slip from him. It was incredibly frustrating to watch him give it away. The quality of tennis was high and some rallies were fantastic, Malisse played great against him (don't they all :rolleyes: ) but Rafa has himself to blame today. It was his match to take.

Sunset of Age
01-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I feel very sad for Rafa's loss today - but to look at it from a brighter side, (1) - Malisse played an EXTRAORDINARY game, and (2) - maybe this lowers those ridiculously high expectations set on Rafa for a bit, so there'll be less "pression" on his shoulders.

I, for one, happen to believe that all that 'Rafa-is-the-Second-Coming-in-tennis-and-will-take-everything!'-press blurb hasn't been doing him well, to say the least. Let the boy regain his confidence and keep on improving on his game, without all that... and wish him best of luck at the AO.

Naide
01-06-2007, 03:54 PM
:ras: :sad:

mallorn
01-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Rafa and Tomeu won their SF 7-5, 6-1 so at least a doubles final for Rafa. That's another match against Malisse (and Norman). :ras:

During the SF match Rafa had a back problem and had to call for a trainer. Hopefully it's not serious. :sad:

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/9952/sc002gw3.jpg (http://imageshack.us) http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/7852/sc003im1.jpg (http://imageshack.us) http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/820/sc006zh3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2926/sc007al4.jpg (http://imageshack.us) http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/7956/sc008cf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us) http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/2024/sc009ds5.jpg (http://imageshack.us) http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/640/sc010ty1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

AngelicWhite
01-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Hopefully Rafa will beat Malisse this time :devil:
but his phsyical problem scares me a bit :unsure:

Jogg
01-06-2007, 11:11 PM
:sad: the unforced errors and missed chances were very frustrating, but hopefully like claybuster said it might take some of the pressure off a bit

Hope Rafa's injury is not serious :scared: Well done to Rafa and Tomeu for getting to the final.

The draw for Sydney is scary :eek:

Johnny Groove
01-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Tough luck, Rafa and Tomeu lost the doubles final in Chennai to Malisse and Big Dick Norman. :hatoff:

But now, Tomeu flies back to Spain to play in the F3 futures event next week, while Rafa flies down under for the Sydney tournament. He'll play against Big serving Aussie and Adelaide finalist Chris Guccione on Tuesday

chocc0
01-08-2007, 08:56 AM
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
i cannot wait for sydney!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Xristos
01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Rafs playing tomorow isnt he?

linus
01-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I really dont want to put any pressure on Rafa, even tomorrow he loses to Guccione (this guy' serve :worship: dont know how to say, his mental isnt bad at all as well), I will feel it ok. when we look backward to Chennai, Rafa has tried, singles and doubles, fought till the last day :hug: this guy is really serious with his tennis while there is some trouble now, why not give him enough time to find out and solve it.

MariaV
01-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi Tosee! :wavey: Yeah, we shouldn't be so sceptical and gloomy, it's not like played really badly, and he got lots of doubles practice last week so all is not that bad. :D
And yes Xristos, Rafa will play tomorrow.

Centre Court
Day 3, Tuesday 9 January starting at 11.00am:

James BLAKE (USA) vs Kevin KIM (USA)
Followed by
Amelie MAURESMO (FRA) vs Tatiana GOLOVIN (FRA)
Followed by
Nicole PRATT (AUS) vs Kim CLIJSTERS (BEL)
Followed by
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs Chris GUCCIONE (AUS)

Weird night session with Vinnay Ice vs Kolya btw :haha: but I guess it's good for Rafa to play in daylight as at the AO he probably won't get night matches early on either. :D VAMOS!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bigclap: Gooch can be tired from last week and his serve may be off for the day ...
I will have only Auckland on my tennis channel of course. :(

Sunset of Age
01-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I won't be able to see any of the matches, I fear... but I'll follow it on the SB, of course.

Best of luck to Rafa!

Sean.J.S.
01-09-2007, 05:13 AM
Guccione def. Nadal 6-5 ret.

It was on serve though ...

Rafa had an injury time out and then played a couple more games and then retired :sad:

At least he has lots of time to rest before AO :)

Sean.J.S.
01-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Rafa had to withdraw due to a thigh strain. He seemed to be playing ok ...

~EMiLiTA~
01-09-2007, 05:31 AM
he should never have signed up for 2 tournaments before AO in the first place

hope he's ok for AO..really want to see him there. i haven't seen him play live for 2 years :(

MariaV
01-09-2007, 06:16 AM
I really hope it's nothing serious. If it's only a thigh strain... Hope it'll heal fast. It would be horrible to miss another AO. :sad:
And I said it right away that I didn't like him playing 2 tournaments before AO.

Sean.J.S.
01-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Don't worry it didn't seem too bad. He only pulled out because he didn't want to risk it. IMO he will definitely be 100% by the AO. He gets quite a few days rest now until Ao 2007 :) Hopefully he plays, and wins of course ;)

Patxy
01-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Thank God Rafa pulled out of that meaningless tournament, I hope it was just precaution and NOTHING serious although, by the pics I've seen, it teared up my heart to see him under such pain... :sad: ...
So I hope he gets rest completely well, practice without any pressure and let the others get injured, tired or killed each other during all this week long.
See you next week at AO, I know you're gonna make it!
VAMOS RAFAEL!

Sunset of Age
01-09-2007, 07:16 AM
I hope he'll be okay soon... poor lad. I feel for him!

MariaV
01-09-2007, 08:22 AM
UPDATE 1-Injury stalls Nadal's Open preparations
Tue Jan 9, 2007 8:52 AM GMT

(writes through with quotes, detail)

By Julian Linden

SYDNEY, Jan 9 (Reuters) - Rafael Nadal's build up to next week's Australian Open hit a hurdle on Tuesday when a leg injury forced him to pull out of the last major warm-up tournament.

The Spanish world number two was trailing Australian wildcard Chris Guccione 6-5 in the opening set of their first round clash at the Sydney International when he decided he had had enough.

Nadal had felt pain in his right inner thigh and said he didn't want to risk doing any more damage with the first grand slam of 2007 less than a week away.

"I was trying on court, but I did not feel 100 per cent," he said.

"The trainer came onto the court and I asked him... and he said to me if I continued then it could get worse, so I stopped."

Nadal was forced to miss last year's Australian Open with a foot injury but said he had no doubts he would be able to play in Melbourne this year.

"I'm going to play for sure. There's nothing broke," he said.

"I hope in two more days I will be 100 percent because I want to play the Australian Open for sure.

"It's very important for me, and last year I couldn't play, and this year I want to play there, it's important, so I will try my best."

Nadal said he had never experienced any problems with his thigh before but began to notice there was a problem when he flew from Chennai to Sydney at the weekend.

The 20-year-old left-hander said he would have to rest for the while he continues to get treatment on the injury for the next few days and would undertake a course of anti-inflammatories to reduce the swelling. :scared: :unsure:

"The physio said if you continue, that's going to be worse," Nadal said.

"They tell me it's very tired, and they feel with treatment, in two more days, going to be 100 per cent."

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=2007-01-09T085243Z_01_SP133437_RTRIDST_0_TENNIS-SYDNEY-NADAL-UPDATE-1-PICTURE.XML&WTmodLoc=Tennis-C1-Headline-3
Get well soon baby! :hug: :hug:

Patxy
01-09-2007, 08:26 AM
AAP/Yahoo
09jan07
I'll be right for Open, says Nadal

Rafael Nadal was confident of being at peak fitness for the Australian Open despite leading a high-profile casualty list at the Sydney International.

The world No.2 handed in-form Australian Chris Guccione a saloon passage into the second round when he retired with hamstring and thigh while trailing 6-5 in the first set.

Nadal's retirement preceded the mid-match withdrawals of seeded Russians Svetlana Kuznetsova and Nadia Petrova from the women's event, leaving tournament organisers red-faced yet again.

Formerly known as the NSW Open, the tournament has been running more than a century but has been tarnished in recent years by a spate of pullouts from players intent on saving themselves for the season's first grand slam at Melbourne Park starting on Monday.

Nadal's withdrawal, while apparently of little concern to the Spaniard, comes on top of Lleyton Hewitt's late scratching with a torn calf muscle and is yet another body blow for organisers.

The top seed required a medical timeout at 3-4, and received some deep-tissue massaging, before eventually calling it quits four games later, just 39 minutes into the contest, on the advice of ATP physiotherapist Clay Sniteman.

"He said if I continue I can get worse," Nadal said, adding he first felt tightness on the flight on Tuesday from Chennai, where he lost to Xavier Malisse in the semi-finals on Saturday.

"The pain started yesterday on the plane and when I go out (to play today) I felt it a little bit more.

"This morning was the same. I go warm up this morning, I don't feel very well.

"But I am trying on the court, but I don't feel 100 per cent." Nadal, who missed last year's Open with a chronic foot injury, insisted he was in no doubt for the 2007 event.

"I'm going to play for sure," he said.

"There's nothing broken. It's tight, too much tight.

"I hope in two more days I will be 100 per cent because I want to play the Australian Open for sure.

"It's very important for me and last year I couldn't play and this year I want to play there.

"I enjoy it a lot. It's one of my favourite places, maybe one of my favourite tournaments of the year.

"I play very good every time there ... it's very special and (Rod Laver Arena) is my favourite centre court."

Nadal planned to fly to Melbourne on Wednesday and will continue receiving treatment, which will include stretching and anti-inflammatory shots, before hopefully resuming practice on Thursday.

Guccione's walkover advanced the 21-year-old to a second-round clash on Wednesday with Austrian lefthander Juergen Melzer.

While Nadal and also Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan were unable to complete their first-round matches today, defending Sydney champion James Blake comfortably advanced with a 6-3 6-4 win over fellow American Kevin Kim.

Sixth-seeded Richard Gasquet downed French countryman Julien Benneteau 6-1 6-4, while veteran Spaniard Carlos Moya survived a match point to deny gallant Australian wildcard Luke Bourgeois 7-6 (7-4) 4-6 7-6 (8-6).
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/070109/2/11mlt.html

Patxy
01-09-2007, 08:28 AM
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/4561/fullgettytenniswtaatpaujf8.th.jpg (http://img78.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgettytenniswtaatpaujf8.jpg) http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7602/fullgettytenniswtaatpauur0.th.jpg (http://img78.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgettytenniswtaatpauur0.jpg) http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2339/fullgettytenniswtaatpauqk2.th.jpg (http://img78.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgettytenniswtaatpauqk2.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3765/fullgettytenniswtaatpauay6.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgettytenniswtaatpauay6.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1985/fullgettytenniswtaatpaufo9.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgettytenniswtaatpaufo9.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5693/fullgettytenniswtaatpauvg2.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgettytenniswtaatpauvg2.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5949/fullgettytenniswtaatpauav6.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgettytenniswtaatpauav6.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7910/fullgetty72657666ez0252sr1.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgetty72657666ez0252sr1.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5536/fullgetty72657666ez0242jl8.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgetty72657666ez0242jl8.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2002/fullgettytenniswtaatpaued2.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgettytenniswtaatpaued2.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6525/fullgetty72657666ez0232zb6.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgetty72657666ez0232zb6.jpg) http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3808/fullgettytenniswtaatpauya4.th.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullgettytenniswtaatpauya4.jpg) http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5021/7215da434f157gfc7.th.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7215da434f157gfc7.jpg) http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5631/7215da4349ee6gge1.th.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7215da4349ee6gge1.jpg) http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3973/7215da433290egnx8.th.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7215da433290egnx8.jpg) http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7514/7215da432d704gfs2.th.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7215da432d704gfs2.jpg) http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3693/7215da4328110grn0.th.jpg (http://img63.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7215da4328110grn0.jpg)

Johnny Groove
01-09-2007, 08:52 AM
:awww: He is really breaking my heart to see him like that, and coupled with the morons on GM LAUGHING at him :rolleyes:

:sad:

linus
01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
:awww: He is really breaking my heart to see him like that, and coupled with the morons on GM LAUGHING at him :rolleyes:

:sad:
Gosh :hug: Rafa didnt want to make you so sad, happy up please :smooch:

then... you dont need to care those posters there !!!

now what we should do is to pray for Rafa and stand by "his side" firmly to support him. even something worse coming, I think we can stand well along with Rafa :angel:

tho I have to say I felt so bad at the first time to know this :sobbing:

linus
01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
thank you brave lovelys for news, articles and pictures :hug:

MariaV
01-09-2007, 01:46 PM
AWWWWWWWWWW Jonathan, the title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel almost like I am hurt too!!!!!!!! :sobbing: :bigcry: :crying2:
The Vamos Tour needs to get better fast and have a good AO! :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:

Tess Gray
01-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I woke up this morning and turned on the radio... and it was on the news that Rafa pulled out :sad: it's not a nice way to wake up:(

mallorn
01-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Hola sweethearts! :wavey:

Not a great start to the year, eh? :awww:

I'm afraid the injury is genuine, but hopefully not very serious. At least Rafa will get some time off instead of ehausting himself right before the Open. *thinkspositive*
Nadal pulls out of Sydney tournament with leg injury

SYDNEY (AFP) - World No.2 Rafael Nadal withdrew from the Sydney International with a leg injury during the first set of his opening match here, less than a week before the Australian Open.

The two-time French Open champion had treatment on his right thigh just above the knee when trailing Australian Chris Guccione 4-3 and called it quits trailing 5-6 on serve.

Nadal had lengthy treatment from a trainer before resuming but decided not to complete the match due to concern over the injury ahead of Monday's Australian Open in Melbourne.

The 20-year-old Spaniard missed last year's Australian Open with a left foot injury.

Nadal only arrived here late Monday from India where he lost to Belgian Xavier Malisse 6-4, 7-6 (7/4) in the semi-finals in Chennai last Saturday.

The Spaniard, who lost to Roger Federer in last year's Wimbledon final, suffered the original injury playing in Chennai, but aggravated it during his brief time on court in Sydney.

Nadal beat world No.1 Federer four times in finals last year and became the youngest back-to-back champion at Roland Garros since Bjorn Borg in 1974-75.

Compatriot Carlos Moya, who travelled with Nadal to Sydney from India, said his injury was genuine.

"I don't know what the others are doing, but I know Paradorn Srichaphan was having trouble with his wrist back in India last week," Moya said after his three-set win over Australian Luke Bourgeois.

"I knew Rafael wasn't feeling that well. I cannot talk about something that I don't really know, but these two players, for sure they were injured."

Thailand's Paradorn pulled out of his match Tuesday with Czech Ivo Minar when trailing 2-6, 0-3, complaining of pain in his right wrist.

Big-serving Guccione, who reached the final of the Australian Hardcourts in Adelaide last weekend, will now play Austrian Jurgen Melzer in the quarter-finals.

"I feel like I'm hitting the ball better than probably this time last year, but I think the big thing was the confidence and self-belief that I could play consistently with these guys," Guccione said.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/070109/5/11mrs.html

Johnny Groove
01-09-2007, 09:41 PM
AWWWWWWWWWW Jonathan, the title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel almost like I am hurt too!!!!!!!! :sobbing: :bigcry: :crying2:

I remember yesterday (well, this morning) staying up until 1ish AM to watch the scoreboard for Rafa's match, then seeing him pull out made me shocked and sad.

And then posting in the GM thread, i was literally dropping tears at the computer that there could be people heartless enough to laugh at someone genuinely injured and be happy that said injury occured :sobbing:

Johnny Groove
01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
and im sorry if the above post isnt very "masculine", but ive been following Rafa for almost 4 years now, i met him when his star had yet to burst on the scene, just a few hrs before his night match against federer at the 04 miami tourney. I just really dont like it that people are so hateful towards a very sweet person just because of his style of play, court demeanor, and overall swagger :sad:

mallorn
01-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I remember yesterday (well, this morning) staying up until 1ish AM to watch the scoreboard for Rafa's match, then seeing him pull out made me shocked and sad.

And then posting in the GM thread, i was literally dropping tears at the computer that there could be people heartless enough to laugh at someone genuinely injured and be happy that said injury occured :sobbing:
:hug: :hug: :hug:

It's always like this when Rafa's injured. This thread (well, what's left of it, apparently some posts were deleted, but I was at work all day and didn't see them) is nothing compared to some things posted in the past.

Screw them. They're pathetic little idiots who don't deserve to be spared a thought.

Sunset of Age
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi people...

The news made me very sad yesterday, and the atmosphere in GM... well, ya know. :rolleyes:
Too bad people think it's okay to make fun over a player's injury. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Back to the subject: I get the impression the injury isn't all that serious, fortunately! I trust Rafa will be okay next week, his people surely know what to do and gave him good advice to pull out. A good decision.

What does gets me worrying is the fact that Rafa seems to have been training soooo hard again, that I wonder if he isn't overdoing it. Hope I'm wrong about that.

And for everyone feeling sad: :hug: :hug: :hug:

PS Blaze: don't worry, crying doesn't make one any less of a man! Rafa and Rogi do so as well, and it's one of the aspects of their personalities that I love very much! :kiss:

Patxy
01-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry if I mind into other people's business, but what is the point of clicking and then reading threads made for bashing your favorite player created by envious, stupid and ignorant people?
Plus, there is always a "Ignore member" (Thanks MTF!) option so that you don't get your guts work... :o, my list is almost getting full :lol:

Johnny Groove
01-09-2007, 11:41 PM
thanks Ania and Kristen is it? :hug:

and Paxty, it is really hard to ignore those kinds of threads. reading through all the posts, i really cant just click away, i need to post something that conflicts with the overall viewpoint of Rafabashing. I just feel its my duty to defend my player no matter what the shitheads try to throw at him

Sunset of Age
01-10-2007, 12:26 AM
About ignoring those threads... as Blaze already said, it's a difficult thing to do, as you want to defend the player who's been attacked - and for me, that isn't only Rafa, as you perhaps know by now ;) .

But there is another reason (for me at least) not to ignore those threads, and that is that I actually want to read all different peoples' varying thoughts on things, whether I agree with them or not. Staying away from any dissenting opinion narrows one's perception of reality, which, IMHO, isn't a good thing if you want to be able to judge by yourself, with an open mind, based on all facts and all opinions brought forward.

I know it may be 'cursing in the church' (an expression from my own language, don't know whether it works in English too ;) ), but at times I think critique on a player (any player, I mean) can be very valuable and upbuilding. It's not always meant as 'bashing' to denote that a player wasn't behaving very graciously in a certain situation, or that certain behaviour can be regarded as childish, for instance... nor do I think it's always bad when people are making fun of a player. I know I'm a bit of a :devil: here, but I myself like to make fun of Rafa quite often - and I hope people realize I do so with good intention! Fortunately, a larger majority of the posters seems to understand that.

Personally, I draw the line when things get really nasty - people getting insulted on purpose, full of unreasoned hatred, vitriolic, that sort of things. And that's what happened yesterday, I think, and I think it's a very sad thing. :sad:
Just know that said thread will most surely die off in silence anyway... :angel:

PS Blaze, you meant me? I'm Karin! :)

atheneglaukopis
01-10-2007, 01:03 AM
:hug: :hug: to Rafa and all his fans, and I'm sorry for all the nastiness out there. I hope to see Rafa fully fit and fighting for the Australian.

Lopaka
01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
As another long time Nadal admirer and moderator on another board I feel I must add my few thoughts to this thread. I had both the honor and pleasure of spending some time with Rafa when he competed in Cincinnati last year. Of many things that could be said he is at the top of my list of young men who make fine role models.

I am sometimes stunned to read comments people will post about a person they have never met. I read them yes and occasionally comment. I do read the negative but I'm happy MTF does have a forum for Rafa's supporters where we can cheer his spirit and determination.

Like many I was saddened to learn of Rafa's injury. Certainly I'm hopeful his youth and will to compete help him recover and participate in the AO. I know I will be cheering for him to do good and be strong and fit when he visits North America in March. Then I hope to be able to cheer in person.

Blaze I've had a lump in throad and tears in my eyes more than once watching Rafa's accomplishments. I did last evening when I read the reports. As a man I can say if I'm going to cry for another I glad it is someone like Rafa.

Johnny Groove
01-10-2007, 03:11 AM
About ignoring those threads... as Blaze already said, it's a difficult thing to do, as you want to defend the player who's been attacked - and for me, that isn't only Rafa, as you perhaps know by now ;) .

But there is another reason (for me at least) not to ignore those threads, and that is that I actually want to read all different peoples' varying thoughts on things, whether I agree with them or not. Staying away from any dissenting opinion narrows one's perception of reality, which, IMHO, isn't a good thing if you want to be able to judge by yourself, with an open mind, based on all facts and all opinions brought forward.

I know it may be 'cursing in the church' (an expression from my own language, don't know whether it works in English too ;) ), but at times I think critique on a player (any player, I mean) can be very valuable and upbuilding. It's not always meant as 'bashing' to denote that a player wasn't behaving very graciously in a certain situation, or that certain behaviour can be regarded as childish, for instance... nor do I think it's always bad when people are making fun of a player. I know I'm a bit of a :devil: here, but I myself like to make fun of Rafa quite often - and I hope people realize I do so with good intention! Fortunately, a larger majority of the posters seems to understand that.

Personally, I draw the line when things get really nasty - people getting insulted on purpose, full of unreasoned hatred, vitriolic, that sort of things. And that's what happened yesterday, I think, and I think it's a very sad thing. :sad:
Just know that said thread will most surely die off in silence anyway... :angel:

PS Blaze, you meant me? I'm Karin! :)

spot on. agree entirely. And we all like to be :devil:s at some point. We all have some slashtard in us :angel:

PS. hi karin! im Jonathan :wavey:

As another long time Nadal admirer and moderator on another board I feel I must add my few thoughts to this thread. I had both the honor and pleasure of spending some time with Rafa when he competed in Cincinnati last year. Of many things that could be said he is at the top of my list of young men who make fine role models.

I am sometimes stunned to read comments people will post about a person they have never met. I read them yes and occasionally comment. I do read the negative but I'm happy MTF does have a forum for Rafa's supporters where we can cheer his spirit and determination.

Like many I was saddened to learn of Rafa's injury. Certainly I'm hopeful his youth and will to compete help him recover and participate in the AO. I know I will be cheering for him to do good and be strong and fit when he visits North America in March. Then I hope to be able to cheer in person.

Blaze I've had a lump in throad and tears in my eyes more than once watching Rafa's accomplishments. I did last evening when I read the reports. As a man I can say if I'm going to cry for another I glad it is someone like Rafa.

exactly. I met Rafa in miami 04, when i was just 14. He was the first pro athlete i had ever met and i really looked up to him. Still do, now at 17. he is a great person, and i thinks its dispicable how people judge him and call him bad things when they dont know the guy.

as for the crying, im not ashamed to admit it, ive cried over a nadal match (Rome, RG, Miami 04 and 05, all the Federer matches) and it wont be the last time.

Patxy
01-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Rediff.com
10jan07
Rafa show all the way
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1800/09sld1de9.jpg

Text: Deepti Patwardhan
For the whole of last week, everyone in Chennai who met Rafael Nadal, spoke to him, got a glimpse of him, gasped at the simplicity of the superstar -- such a regular 20 year old!

He talks like an exchange student from Spain, loves his football, jokes around with his friends. Off court, he wears normal shorts and tees and the cap (albeit branded ones) sits on the cement stairs with the sprinkling of spectators, waiting for a game to get over during a qualifying match at the outside courts on his way out so as not to disturb the players.

Nadal makes the effort to sign as many autographs as he can, gives a startled smile as a couple of mobile cameras are shoved into his face, is awfully polite with the media, greeting every press conference with a 'Hello everyone' and finishing with 'Thank you very much, see you tomorrow,' in his Spanish drawl.

"When I am on court I think like a world number two; it gives me a lot of confidence," says Nadal. "But off the court, when I am with my family and friends, I am just a normal 20 year old. I have the same set of friends since I was 3, 4 years old and I don't think life has changed for me."
http://specials.rediff.com/sports/2007/jan/09sld1.htm

Tess Gray
01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Wow! I love the article about him.. it shows that he is just a normal guy and that he isn't such a huge superstar off court..:D
Thanks for the article ;)

yana
01-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I really don't care that much if Rafa won't do well at AO. For me, is more important that he maintains his crown on clay, especially on RG.

As for GM: someone said there that he hate Rafa with passion. I can't believe that one can be so mentaly disturbed to have such strong feelings about a person that he never met. This is sick, ask any psychiatrist.

Sunset of Age
01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
As for GM: someone said there that he hate Rafa with passion. I can't believe that one can be so mentaly disturbed to have such strong feelings about a person that he never met. This is sick, ask any psychiatrist.

True, very true - but I'd like to point out that this sick behaviour isn't purely restricted to Rafa-haters. Believe me, I've had quite a bunch of crap over my head from some so-called Rafa-fans (or should I say 'trolls' ???) when I went in defense mode for my other favourite player, a Swiss guy named Rogi... :rolleyes:

There are sick people everywhere, alas. Let's try to keep standing above them and just ignore them!

Tess Gray
01-10-2007, 07:23 PM
I couldnt agree with you more ;)

I happen to like Roger AND Rafa as well... and whenever I say so.. people look at me like I'm crazy... Whatever...:rolleyes:

cmurray
01-10-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't mind good natured fun at Rafa's expense...or any other player for that matter. Hell, I tease about him being in love with Roger all the time. No harm done.

But for people to WISH Rafa to be injured, or better yet, to inform me that I'm
"dense and childish" because I don't think its sensible or reasonable for them to hate a tennis player they've never even met...that I cannot stomach. I fail to see how it's funny when a player gets hurt. I admit that I've never been a fan of Federer's...but I would NEVER wish for him to get hurt.

Hell, I don't know...maybe I AM an idealist. I just don't see the sense of it.

Sunset of Age
01-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Jonathan, Cheryl, Tessjuh... :hug: :hug: :hug:

Patxy
01-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Forgot to post the rest of the article :p
Rafa show all the way
January 10, 2007

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2193/09sld2ex9.jpg
Life then began on the sunny island of Mallorca, in a big three-storied house, in a big joint family, went on at its own pace, swimming, fishing, playing football and tennis. While one uncle, Miguel Angel Nadal, played professional football for Barcelona and Spain, another, Toni, honed the tennis skills of little 'Rafa'.

Only Rafa is not little any more. He has worked on his physical attributes, growing up to be one of the strongest guys on the tennis circuit. His famed sleeveless t-shirts show-off his hard-toned biceps; coach Francis Roig says he loves playing mental battles, the bare arms don't leave the opponent in any doubt about his strength. Everything about his body language is intimidating!

Given his bulging muscles, Nadal was tested on tour for steroids 14 times. All the tests gave him the clean chit.

"It's not that my biceps are the biggest," smiles Nadal. "It is because of this (sleeveless shirts) that you see them. Maybe, they are a little more defined.

"I concentrate a lot on my physical training because I think it's very important to give 100 per cent to your game."

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1733/09sld3jw2.jpg
Xavier Malisse may have won the Chennai Open, but it was a Nadal show all the way in the Indian metropolis.

People flocked for his practice sessions in the afternoon, wanting to see the bare-chested Nadal. He trains with his doubles partner and childhood friend Bartolome Salva-Vidal, who, also 20, still looks like an adolescent.

Nadal, looking to improve all the while, is banging the serves into the net -- one, two, three. He gives it another shot, this time it's long. His coach calls the groundsman, makes him inspect the height of the net at the centre. Just as his camp had suspected, the net is higher, hasn't been properly pinned into the ground.

He is happy being at number two.

"Roger (Federer) is the best player in the world. He is number one. I would like to stay at two," he says, still in awe of the person over whom he has a 6-3 head-to-head.

In an era, dominated by the Swiss star, Nadal is the only person who has repetitively challenged and won.

"I don't know any secret," says Nadal of his record against Federer. "When I am on court I try my best; that's it. There is no secret."

He respects opponents, knows his limitations. But they don't bog him down. The bigger the opponent, the stronger Nadal gets.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4921/09sld4do4.jpg

Tuesday: Nadal finally enters centre court for his first round match against former Australian Open finalist Rainer Schuettler. Gone is the genial boy, in his new bright yellow and green outfit, his eyes growing darker with intensity; Nadal looks menacing. Always dressed for the kill, he struts between points, displays the trademark fist pumps. After a rusty start he completes a 6-4, 6-2 win over the ageing German.

Then he smiles again; a big toothy smile wrinkling the skin at his eyes.

Though he is still not happy with the performance, he is satisfied with a winning start to the tournament.

On the outside courts, an Indian star is on the rise. Karan Rastogi scores a straight sets-win over Brazil's Thiago Alves to set up a dream clash with the Spaniard. Rastogi is excited, Nadal is guarded.

"No easy matches," says the world number two of his second round. "There are no easy matches at this level."

Then he dwells in the details. "He (Rastogi) just won a (Futures) tournament last week and has now beaten a very good player. I don't know what his ranking is," he looks around inquisitively, waiting patiently as the journalists come up with the number.

"Yeah, his ranking may not be great but he's playing some good tennis."

A world number two may not have to bother too much about a player ranked in the 480s, but Nadal still cares. Success cannot be taken for granted.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2186/09sld6hu2.jpg
His quarterfinal match in Chennai against Davide Sanguinetti was over in 59 minutes. Nadal packed his racquets, found a free practice court and had a hit for 30 minutes. He was feeling good; wanted to keep the momentum.

During his 2005 campaign, Andre Agassi had said of the Spaniard, 'Age has got nothing to do with focus; Nadal is only 18 and he is the most focused player I've ever seen.'

At 18, Agassi was busy being a pampered prodigy. Nadal, though not as talented as the American, bullied his way to a French Open title.

When it comes to his mental strength, his part-time coach Roig says Nadal was born with the mind of a champion. Indeed. He gives hundred per cent, chases every ball like it was the last, wears down opponents physically and mentally; if that his not enough, fights harder!

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8813/09sld7kk4.jpg
The only time Nadal let his guard slip on court was during the doubles matches. Playing with Salva-Vidal, his partner in juniors, the two left-handed Spaniards had the time of their lives, moulding themselves into the racy pace of doubles; volleying, smashing, scampering on the baseline, retrieving lobs.

In the final on Sunday (versus Malisse and Dick Norman), Nadal whacked a full-blooded forehand into his partner's back, something that hurt everyone except the bruised Salva-Vidal.

Nadal, who kept giving instructions and egging on his partner, didn't meet the twitching Salva-Vidal's eyes for the next ten minutes, even as the latter continued with his errors.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1378/09sld8sq8.jpg
When he makes a mistake during the match, he looks up at the coach from the corner of his eye, screwing his face, looking a little angry, a little lost. Then he is ready to receive the serve: he steps forward, gets on top of the ball and smacks the double-handed backhand down the line. 'Vamos!'

Nadal is not the man of the world like Federer; he can't always articulate his thoughts, grimaces and turns towards the interpreter when he doesn't understand a question. But the answers he gives are simple and clipped, like his approach towards the game.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/751/09sld9lu5.jpg
After his semi-final match at the Chennai Open, where Malisse beat him 6-4, 7-6, Nadal walked into the press conference obviously disappointed at the result.

Doubts were being raised; he hadn't entered a final of a tournament since Wimbledon 2006.

"I know my time will come," said Nadal confidently and fluently. Like his serve, he has been working on his English too.

"I am trying to improve everyday, be it the serve or the groundstrokes or the volleys. I don't know whether it's going to come in Sydney (his next event) or Melbourne or sometime later, but it has to arrive."

Focused, successful, confident and humble.

Regular 20 year olds are not like that; Rafa is a special kid!

Sunset of Age
01-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Rafita is a lovely guy. Anyone should be able to acknowledge that.
At least his 'main rival' does!

cmurray
01-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Rafita is a lovely guy. Anyone should be able to acknowledge that.
At least his 'main rival' does!

It is one of the things I appreciate about Roger and Rafa. They are fierce competitors on court...but off court they are friends and they respect each other. ONe of my favorite quotes from Roger is where he talks about Rafa being a very smart player.

Mimi
01-11-2007, 01:45 AM
i also feel very angry about those people who laughed when seeing nadal injured :mad: :mad: , these people who wasted their time on cheering against a person whom they have never met, whom they never know are really stupid, why don't they use the time to do some construction things :rolleyes:

but to think it in a better way, Nadal is already an accomplished player at just 20 :worship: , he is loved by so many fans, so my fellow nadal fans, just try your best to ignore those heartless posters, they are just jealous of nadal ;)

although i have never met nadal, from what i saw and read, i do think he is a good person and i wish him the best :)

Ti-Anne
01-11-2007, 05:49 AM
i also feel very angry about those people who laughed when seeing nadal injured :mad: :mad: , these people who wasted their time on cheering against a person whom they have never met, whom they never know are really stupid, why don't they use the time to do some construction things :rolleyes:

but to think it in a better way, Nadal is already an accomplished player at just 20 :worship: , he is loved by so many fans, so my fellow nadal fans, just try your best to ignore those heartless posters, they are just jealous of nadal ;)

although i have never met nadal, from what i saw and read, i do think he is a good person and i wish him the best :)

I totally agree with you mimi ! :hug: Just let all these wicked people who wish Rafa abominable things think and say what they want. They can't stop our Rafa being the honest, simple, kind and modest person we know and all love here.
Indeed, for those who were lucky enough to get close to him at least once as I was, it's obvious this guy is fundamentally good, but you must know goodness and kindness are not high-praised qualities with people who don't feel at ease with others and with themselves :rolleyes:
So why should we bother with mentally unbalanced people who are constantly picking at Rafa just because he embodies everything they are NOT (and secretly wish they WERE) !! ;)

Mimi
01-11-2007, 07:56 AM
excellent post Ti-Anne :D :worship: :angel:

i do think some people are born to be kind just like rafa, while some are born to be evil:devil: , always wishing others to get bad lucks, just like those who sit on computer and attack rafa ;), actually being young is not an excuse for saying those black-hearted thing, i once was a teenager too, but i never say these things :rolleyes:

remember, a person who always have hatre on their hearts will not live comfortably while our beloved rafa will ;):D

I totally agree with you mimi ! :hug: Just let all these wicked people who wish Rafa abominable things think and say what they want. They can't stop our Rafa being the honest, simple, kind and modest person we know and all love here.
Indeed, for those who were lucky enough to get close to him at least once as I was, it's obvious this guy is fundamentally good, but you must know goodness and kindness are not high-praised qualities with people who don't feel at ease with others and with themselves :rolleyes:
So why should we bother with mentally unbalanced people who are constantly picking at Rafa just because he embodies everything they are NOT (and secretly wish they WERE) !! ;)

MariaV
01-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Well said everyone! :yeah: :D :hug:

mallorn
01-11-2007, 07:16 PM
I couldn't believe my eyes.
You obviously haven't been around long enough. ;)

Yes, it's difficult, until one understands there's no point talking to a wall… As incomprehensible as it is to you, Jonathan, me and many others, there are people here whose idea of fun is to hate on players/piss other posters off. That's why there's so much glee when Rafa loses or is injured, and reasoning with such posters is simply a waste of time, because to have a discussion both sides must be open and willing to listen.
I agree, we shouldn't close our eyes to reality. Plus, there actually is a handful of people here who dislike Rafa but are capable of talking about him in a reasonable way, without having to insert the words "pig", "roasting" and such in each and every of their posts. I've had some interesting discussions with them and I agree that it's both enlightening and fun.
It's one thing to be critical of Rafa (which most of us here have been, at one point or another) and quite different to blindly hate him. There are posters who find EVERYTHING he says and does offensive, and not only refuse to treat him fairly or give him the benefit of the doubt, but even to use their eyes and ears when there is evidence they're wrong (Madrid was a classic example). I think it's easy to tell them apart.
The million dollar question… ;)
I really don't care that much if Rafa won't do well at AO. For me, is more important that he maintains his crown on clay, especially on RG.
RG has always been my favourite slam and I would hate for Rafa to lose there. But it's also extremely important for him to do well in Australia to take the pressure off a bit come RG and Wimbledon.

Johnny Groove
01-11-2007, 07:51 PM
actually being young is not an excuse for saying those black-hearted thing, i once was a teenager too, but i never say these things :rolleyes:

i still am a teenager and will never do such immature things as them. I know its a bit ironic coming from a teen, but some people never grow up :rolleyes:

Mimi
01-12-2007, 01:05 AM
you are one of the best and matured teenager :worship: :D
i still am a teenager and will never do such immature things as them. I know its a bit ironic coming from a teen, but some people never grow up :rolleyes:

Patxy
01-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Blaze-2004:
I've just read your Rafa story you kindly shared with us in our another forum and all I wanna do after it is::hug: :hug: :hug:
Honestly, this might sound pathetic or ridiculous but I must admit that I nearly felt like crying when you said he gave you his racket :eek: directly from his bag before his match ag. Roger. (including a beautiful grin that ONLY he knows how to show).
Thank you so much for that. :yeah:. That made me feel way prouder of being a fan of his without necessarily liking his looks or drooling for him.:wavey:

EDIT: Could anybody change the title of the thread?... :)

MariaV
01-12-2007, 06:42 AM
I NEED TO KNOW THE JONATHAN & RAFA (RACKET) STORY TOO!!!!!!! PLEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!! :angel:

Tess Gray
01-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Blaze-2004:

I agree with you.. we aren't sad:o we're proud of Rafi :D

Johnny Groove
01-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Blaze-2004:
I've just read your Rafa story you kindly shared with us in our another forum and all I wanna do after it is::hug: :hug: :hug:
Honestly, this might sound pathetic or ridiculous but I must admit that I nearly felt like crying when you said he gave you his racket :eek: directly from his bag before his match ag. Roger. (including a beautiful grin that ONLY he knows how to show).
Thank you so much for that. :yeah:. That made me feel way prouder of being a fan of his without necessarily liking his looks or drooling for him.:wavey:

:hug: and MAria, the story is on vb.com :kiss:

MariaV
01-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Will go there Jonathan! :D :wavey:
And 'optimistic' is good! :D :yeah: