Rusedski cleared [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rusedski cleared

jtipson
03-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Rusedski cleared of doping offence
Wed 10 March, 2004 11:52

LONDON (Reuters) - Greg Rusedski has been cleared of a doping offence despite testing positive for the banned steroid nandrolone last July, according to the BBC.

A three-man panel appointed by the Association of Tennis Professionals cleared the Canadian-born 30-year-old after a closed-door hearing in Montreal last month, the BBC reported on Wednesday.

Rusedski had been facing a two-year ban which would have all-but signalled the end of his career.

jtipson
03-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Congratulations to Greg. Now he can get on with his life. The ATP are in for some serious grief.

Mrs. B
03-10-2004, 12:05 PM
:)

Frooty_Bazooty
03-10-2004, 12:06 PM
im glad to hear it and i hope Greg will play Miami

sigmagirl91
03-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Now, the ATP has some serious credibility issues to address with the doping tests they do. While I am happy that Greg got off, I wonder what this will do for the rest of his career-whatever is left of it.

Billabong
03-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info jtipson:)!

CooCooCachoo
03-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Cleared, yet stigmatised.

Darran
03-10-2004, 12:30 PM
So glad for Greg :D :D

TheBoiledEgg
03-10-2004, 01:08 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3547917.stm

good for Greg :)

WADA are pretty pissed off with the ATP

poundcatt
03-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Great verdict fot professional tennis & playeras are all breathing a big sigh of relief. Only ATP should be worried, & this might give the players org. idea new life. As to Rusedski stigmatized....I don't think so...he'll be remembered as the guy who fought for his innocence & won., & broke open the drugs in tennis issue.... a tennis hero to some IMO. It might in fact make many forget his big mouth and unpleasant tennis behaviour.

Chloe le Bopper
03-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Great verdict fot professional tennis & playeras are all breathing a big sigh of relief. Only ATP should be worried, & this might give the players org. idea new life. As to Rusedski stigmatized....I don't think so...he'll be remembered as the guy who fought for his innocence & won., & broke open the drugs in tennis issue.... a tennis hero to some IMO. It might in fact make many forget his big mouth and unpleasant tennis behaviour.
Considering the number of players he had come forward on his behalf (some very well respected ones as well, ie; Alex Corretja), I think you may very well be correct... if not a little bit overdramatic ;)

sigmagirl91
03-10-2004, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't be a damn bit surprised if the players took the ATP to court over this. Stay tuned.

TheBoiledEgg
03-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Wayne Ferreria must be chuckling to himself

IMTA....... ;)

Willow
03-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Cleared, yet stigmatised.

...one of the saddest things about the whole case was the way the British media jumped on him and declared him guilty and finished right from the very beginning...it said a lot to me about their attitude to tennis in general... :(

star
03-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Perhaps I'm the cynic here. You all are pretty quick to leap to the conclusion that the ATP was at fault.

What is apparent to me is that the process is heavily weighted in favor of the player and much more weighted in favor of the player than in some other sports or, for example, the testing process at the Olympic Games.

I'd like to see an article expalining Greg's defense and the ruling from the hearing. That will tell me a lot more about what actually went on. What hurts the entire process is the mystery and secrecy surrounding the results and the appeal process.

Is it true in the WTA that EVERYTHING is a secret? I heard that in the WTA, a player can be suspended for drug use and the WTA wouldn't even release a name or the suspension. The player could just claim a serious injury as the reason for not playing.

I'm very cynical about doping controls in tennis because for a long time the governing bodies refused to believe that any player used performance enhancing drugs, and the only reason they even began testing was that the ATP and WTA had to have a testing program to be an Olympic sport.

oxy
03-10-2004, 02:11 PM
i'm glad that he is cleared...from the beginning i knew he is innocent n atp is the one that should be put on trial!!!

star
03-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Please explain why the ATP should be put on trial.

Unless the testing system used is faulty, why would one consider the ATP at fault? Greg is the one who spoke to the media about the hearing. There were other players who were cleared whose names haven't been released.

Do you know what the burdens of proof were at the hearing? Do you know the case Greg presented?

jtipson
03-10-2004, 02:18 PM
What is apparent to me is that the process is heavily weighted in favor of the player and much more weighted in favor of the player than in some other sports or, for example, the testing process at the Olympic Games.

From a lay person's point of view (I don't claim to know the first thing about the law), it seems to me that the whole process is heavily weighted *against* the players. Anyone testing positive has to prove they didn't break the rules (proving a negative is always difficult), or come up with a technical reason which invalidates the prosecution's case. So any player testing positive is guilty until proven innocent. Surely that's the wrong way around. Players are being (in my opinion) unfairly penalised.

I'd like to see an article expalining Greg's defense and the ruling from the hearing. That will tell me a lot more about what actually went on. What hurts the entire process is the mystery and secrecy surrounding the results and the appeal process.

The BBC website link now has more details on the ruling and Greg's defence. I expect there will be more over the next few days.

oxy
03-10-2004, 02:32 PM

Unless the testing system used is faulty, why would one consider the ATP at fault? Greg is the one who spoke to the media about the hearing. There were other players who were cleared whose names haven't been released.

Do you know what the burdens of proof were at the hearing? Do you know the case Greg presented?

IMO ATP is not very transparent in this whole doping issue, why are certain players names being released and why some are not....they should give a full report on the whole doping issue (if they did produce one could someone tell me where i can read it)....aATP is definitely in some way at fault.

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 02:37 PM
well that's good for greg, it wasn't sounding good there for a while. Now it's too bad he's pulled out of so many tournaments because of it. As you said jtipson, just time for him to get on with his life and for ATP to deal with the rest.

TheBoiledEgg
03-10-2004, 03:27 PM
another 16 players since the start of 2004 have tested positive for excessive nandrolone, but under the required limit to get punished.

more funny business :o ????
thought the ATP got rid of those supplements.

its not adding up.

Tennis Fool
03-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Star: I agree completely. This who "trial" was like something out of the Star Chamber from the 1600s (sorry for the pun).

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 11:43 PM

You don't sound like a lawyer or anything ;)

:hug: love ya. I totally agree. I mean I think the whole situation needs to be investigated, and if nothing else the players deserve to know what's going on IF it is really true that these things with the small amounts of steroids are really being given out by the ATP. I mean for their benefit, they have the right to know that if they're not feeling well or whatever that what the trainer gives them in the heat of the moment on court during a timed changeover is not going to get them in trouble down the road.

but on the other hand, as you rightly said, Greg is the one who brought it into the public. Then again, we could play devil's advocate and say that he probably thought it would get out anyway and that if he brought it out that it would make him look better and like he was being the open and honest one. Who knows. lol

Leo
03-11-2004, 01:31 AM
Yay. :)

Kristen
03-11-2004, 08:09 AM
lol I'm glad he came to the Sydney tournament or I might have continued thinking he was a jack-ass. But, I'll give him the gimelstob/Gaudio theory: "Can be an ass on court, but off the court, he's a good sort:)"

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Good to see the ATP are at the incompetent best yet again.

tennischick
03-11-2004, 12:09 PM
one thing i'm not clear on. while he was busily defending himself in the media, Greg claimed that a whole bunch oof other players also tested positive. what happened to these players? and what about decisions made in the past where players were kicked out of the sport for testing positive even tho' they insisted then that they were innocent? what is it about nandralone in particular that seems to lend itself to a high level of fase positive testing? or is it the substance itself or the method of testing that is faulty? and what did the ATP do with its supply of vitamins and supplements that were found to be tainted? the plot thickens...

i too would like to know exactly what Greg or his lawyers said that helped him to get off.

Mwarra
03-11-2004, 12:20 PM
<A Sceptic.......my first thoughts were WTF! Maybe there is more going on than we realise........but second thought was.......logical drug testing 4FS! They need 2 revise the rules, and what can, and cant b taken.

jtipson
03-11-2004, 01:22 PM
one thing i'm not clear on. while he was busily defending himself in the media, Greg claimed that a whole bunch oof other players also tested positive. what happened to these players?
There were seven of them who were positive (and lots more who had elevated levels of nandrolone but not enough to declare them positive). Of the seven, Bohdan Ulihrach was found guilty, but verdict overturned when the other six got off as his case was deemed to be related. None of the six have been named. This is because the tribunal cleared them.

and what about decisions made in the past where players were kicked out of the sport for testing positive even tho' they insisted then that they were innocent?

Unrelated to this set of cases.

what is it about nandralone in particular that seems to lend itself to a high level of fase positive testing? or is it the substance itself or the method of testing that is faulty?

Good questions. Nandrolone does occur naturally, so there are cut-off levels, above which a player is determined to be a) elevated and b) positive. There does seem to be a high number of samples (approximately 10% of the top 200 ATP players). Are these guys really all taking steroids? I don't think so. So something is causing the high-level, and perhaps the cut-offs are not appropriate.

and what did the ATP do with its supply of vitamins and supplements that were found to be tainted? the plot thickens...

They have not actually found any. They did have 500 tablets tested that were found in a jar at a tournament where one of the players tested positive. But the tests showed no nandrolone contamination.
As to where all the other tablets went....mmm...who knows?

i too would like to know exactly what Greg or his lawyers said that helped him to get off.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3498220.stm

duck
03-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Tennis (from the Times laying out the case Rusedski put forward)

March 11, 2004

Vindication for Rusedski as drugs case is quashed
By Neil Harman, Tennis Correspondent

GREG RUSEDSKI is not a cheat, British tennis is not tainted, drugs bodies are aghast and the sport’s fraternity is gathering for the recriminations after the British No 2 came back from what seemed likely to be a certain suspension to an exoneration so complete that it is a wonder that it took 30 days for a jury to pronounce his innocence.
The 30-year-old Canadian-born left-hander, a US Open finalist in 1997, returns from abroad in the next couple of days free to play tennis at the top level for as long as he desires. A three-man ATP anti-doping tribunal, which sat in Montreal on February 9, found “unanimously and unequivocally” that Rusedski was not guilty of a doping offence.

Rusedski tested positive for nandrolone, the prohibited performance-enhancing steroid, at a tournament in the United States last July. He decided to come clean in January and played on, insisting that he would never have knowingly taken a drug and was innocent of all charges. He linked his case to that of seven players cleared last year after electrolyte (salt) tablets distributed by trainers working for the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP), the governing body of men’s tennis, could not be discounted as the source of nandrolone. Not a single tablet has yet been found to be contaminated but, by associating himself with the seven previous acquittals, Rusedski escaped the noose.

The tribunal, selected by the ATP, rounded on the governing body for not having talked to Rusedski about its decision to withdraw the salt tablets from distribution in May 2003 — although messages were posted on locker-room walls and printed in the players’ weekly newsletter for three months. An appeal by the ATP to the Court of Arbitration for Sport has not yet been ruled out.

The sight of Rusedski in January, frightened and speaking with passion about innocence and injustice, will go down as one of tennis’s most enduring recent images. He is now as free as he said he would be, his reputation unsullied. He can play for Great Britain in the Davis Cup next month in Luxembourg, if selected, and should walk tall into Wimbledon. G iven the way he feels, he may just win the championship.

As tennis evaluated a decision that surprised most people and left many with the feeling that the matter was not yet closed, Rusedski prepared to return from “holiday” with his head held high. “It’s been hell for Greg,” David Lloyd, the former Davis Cup captain and a long-time friend, said.

Rusedski has not decided when he will return to the tennis court but that he will return is not in dispute. What kind of a threat he is in the biggest events remains to be seen. In the past two grand-slam tournaments that he played, the US Open last summer and the Australian Open two months ago, his mind was all over the place. In August, he had just learnt that the A sample had returned a positive reading. In January, he was playing through the anguish of having had to announce confirmation of a doping charge.

Rusedski felt compelled to speak against what he called “the biggest scandal in world sport” because he believed that the media was going to expose him. Paradoxically, had he kept quiet and ridden out the storm, no one but he and his closest friends would have known of the tribunal and, given the verdict and the rules concerning strict confidentiality, no one would have known of the outcome.

This has not been an edifying time for tennis. The tribunal’s verdict is being pored over with a fine toothcomb. The World Anti-Doping Agency speaks darkly of its despair at the outcome and the signal it sends out.

The core of Rusedski’s case — one I did not think he would win — is two-fold. The tribunal calls it “the unique circumstances of the case and of the unique circumstances pertaining in tennis”. In the Bohdan Ulihrach case (the Czech Republic player was prominent among the seven exonerated last July), it was disclosed that the player was likely to have tested positive based upon substances given to him by the ATP.

“Mr Rusedski took exactly the same substances and attributed his finding to material given to him by the ATP,” the tribunal said. Indeed, Rusedski is said to have carried the same salt tablets around in his bag from earlier in the year and taken them in Indianapolis, where his positive reading was taken.

The verdict continued: “As such, he (Rusedski) argued that it was unfair that the ATP should seek to prosecute him for substances which they themselves have given to him, which in all probability caused him to test positive.”

Then came the part of Rusedski’s defence that played heavily in his favour. The tribunal was unanimously of the belief that the ATP “could have and should have taken steps to notify its players in a ‘meaningful’ and ‘direct’ way of its decision to cease distributing the electrolyte tablets that it had previously handed out so freely”. That Rusedski was not told personally of this development was the vital, clinching element of his defence. We have not heard the last of this.

THE WORDS THAT FREED RUSEDSKI

The Tribunal held that:

“the ATP could have — and should have — taken steps to notify its players in a ‘meaningful’ and ‘direct’ way of the reasons for its decision to cease distributing the electrolyte tablets that it had previously handed out so freely”

Therefore, the ATP could not prosecute this case as:

“it created the underlying situation in the first place, by distributing tablets that, on the best available scientific evidence, appeared to have been contaminated by prohibited substances”

tangerine_dream
03-11-2004, 04:49 PM
From BBC Talkback, comments about the Greg Rudeski doping verdict:

It's great news and in my opinion the correct decision, hopefully this will give him a boost to start performing to his best like we all know he can do!!!!
---Stephen, Gateshead

Great News! Now Greg can get back to being knocked out of comps in the early rounds in the great British tradition!
---Matthew, Stuttgart, Germany

Great news to hear of Greg's clearance. Let's hope he stays injury free now and has a great season ahead.
---Graham Johnston, Telford

How can this be good news? As a Brit in New York, I read all the time about drugs in sport. The only way to stop their use is by banning anyone who tested positive. Turning to lawyers and arguing they didn't know what they were taking is a pretty weak defence, but it allows the misuse to continue.

Who is responsible for their "supplement" intake, the player or the coach? Like anyone who loves the game I was shocked when I first heard the news, but a POSITIVE test is a POSITIVE test!
---Ian, New York

I'm so happy that Greg, has been proved innocent and his name has also been cleared. I'm sure he has the mental ability to put this injustice behind him and go forward with his Tennis career. This victory should put more belief and strength in to the up and coming British Tennis Players for the future.

May I also add I'm sure Greg, will prove self by winning a major tournament in the near future and not let this get to him.
---Raymond Quinlivan, London

I'm amused to see Greg Rusedski has gone back to being described as a "British Tennis player" today as opposed to "Canadian-born British Tennis player" as he was when this case first came to light. !
---Mike Buckley, Dublin

So pleased for Greg I never believed he would take any banned substance without him really knowing. This could put tennis in a very bad position knowing how many other players have tested positive for the banned substance. But hope Greg goes on to win Wimbledon.
---Peter Love, wolviston

Yet again the pastime of tennis demonstrates that it has no wish to be taken seriously. In the majority of responsible sports, the athlete is solely and completely responsible for everything ingested into the body.

If you test positive - you pay the penalty, you are not fit to have been competing whilst under the influence or having benefited from banned substances. No excuses. Tennis, like soccer, remains a joke when it comes to drug testing
---Phil Sears, ukA and ASA Club Coach, Dorking UK

Very interesting to compare the treatment of Rusedski (who failed a test) to that of Rio Ferdinand (who failed to take a test)
---Damian, Manchester

It's great to see justice done. The ATP must publish an approved sports products list for the athletes. We all know vendors must be lining up to get the "ATP drug-free" endorsement. I'm happy for Greg.
---Nanette, San Francisco, USA

How can Tennis hold its head up high when Athletics and most other sports say 'If it's in your body it's your fault'? I don't think Greg was guilty, but other Athlete's aren't given the same leniency?
---Martin, Essex

How can someone be cleared of drugs when failing a test? Rio got a ban for not turning up, where's the sense in that?
---Rich, Coventry

There was never any doubt that this was not a deliberate attempt to cheat. He was the world number 4 after all. What a waste of everyone's time and no doubt much anguish for Greg.
---Antony Sidney-Woollett, Battersea, London

Unlike the other contributors I'm afraid I can't understand how Rusedski could be cleared. Under the strict liability rules he is guilty. Had he been an athlete he would have been banned.
---Stuart Adams, Derbyshire

Great to hear Greg has been cleared as he has always come across as a dedicated professional. It is just a shame that the BBC and other media groups allowed Pat Cash, who is obviously very bitter towards Greg, to so quickly point the finger and support the guilty accusations when the story broke.

Perhaps in future when stories like these occur only those individuals without an axe to grind should be used to discuss the issues and probable causes.
---Margaret Dixon, Fleet, Hampshire

As someone who watched Greg grow up on the tennis courts of Montreal's West Island, the only fault I would attribute to Greg was an overabundance of enthusiasm.

This guy has always been a straight arrow and it's a shame that some cowards in the ATP -- ever-conscious of their status as arbiters for political correctness -- saw fit to put him through this.
---Chrys Goyens, Montreal

I am thrilled for Greg, Lucy and their families. These past weeks have been dreadful for them. Greg is a thoroughly nice guy, he did not deserve this after all his injury problems. I am really looking forward top see him on court again. Go for it Greg!
---Sheena Birch, Burton on Trent

It is now painfully obvious that a radical overhaul is needed in the drugs testing procedures. How many more times are they going to be wrong ??
---James Emanuel, Edinburgh

Great news - make sure the guy knows that we're all really pleased. Is there some way he can get back at the so-called powers that be? - he deserves some compensation (mental if not financial) for these months of worry
---Robin Harewood-Lee, Woburn

Hold on, I might be getting this wrong: Did or didn't Rusedski have banned substances in his body? How they go there is unfortunately besides the point. If this had been cycling, the press would have had a field day with this judgement, given that any similar future cases are bound to use the same defence.

In my view, tennis needs to sort out its drugs policy given that it, together with professional American football and baseball (both sports suspected of heavy steroid misuse among their players), has not introduced unannounced test in training (contrary to cycling!).

It otherwise will be open to the suspicion that its stars use prohibited means in order to overcome injury and survive the punishing travel/tournament schedule they need to follow in order to maintain their world ranking.
---Mark, London, UK

I'm pleased Greg got cleared. I hope the British media understand how unfair is to point out someone is a cheat until the case is closed. Even when Coria was also cleared, every time he hits the headlines they still start saying "Coria, who tested positive for nandrolone a few years ago, has won..." That's not just unfair but also irritating.
---JP, London

I think that the whole handling of the Rusedski drugs scandal has been an absolute disgrace. What on earth have the ATP been playing at the last month? First Rusedski's verdict was supposed to be announced within 7 days of the hearing, then the leading member of the tribunal goes on holiday.

Next, the verdict is delayed by a further week, then by another two weeks as the tribunal fails to make its mind up. The verdict is then expected on Tuesday but hours later the status is changed to "a few days."

The man has been tortured for the last month with anxiety and despair, bad mouthed by other players (e.g. Olivier Rochus and Nicolas Escude) and now has no prospects of getting a decent winning run together before Wimbledon as the clay court season starts soon.

This is a tournament he may well miss out on because his ranking won't be in the top 106 and I can't see Felgate awarding him a wild card over the prospects of the young guns like Alan Mackin and Jonathan Marray.

Perhaps even worse is the fact that had he been cleared two weeks ago as should have been the case, he might have been able to lead us to Davis Cup triumph in Luxembourg because with Tim and Greg the Luxembourg team don't have a prayer of winning the tie.

Instead, we have to resort to Arvind Parmar for the singles who, although he has played well recently, seems to be unable to win the important matches. I therefore question his ability to win the singles rubber of our Davis Cup tie.

We also can't rely on Alex Bogdanovic or Lee Childs either as neither have been in top form lately. We therefore have to rely on poor old Tim as usual and put the whole burden of Great Britain on his slender shoulders which isn't fair on him.

If he does well in the Miami Masters then he won't arrive in Luxembourg until Wednesday of the Davis Cup week which would limit his preparation and put our chances of winning the tie in more jeopardy than they are already in.

I am glad that Greg has been cleared and I wish him every success this year and for the remainder of his career. Good luck Greg!!! I will proudly continue to support you!!!
---Jez, University of Nottingham

Kudos and congratulations to Greg on his acquittal. May I say I have always admired his tenacity and hope he goes on to play well in the near future. Good on yer mate and I hope an apology is on its way from Pat Cash
---John Adams, London

Congratulations Greg! I hope that now he can put his ordeal behind him and return to the top. But it was rather unfair that someone innocent had to go through what Greg had to go through.
---Arobind Velagapudi, Helsinki, Finland

What great news, hopefully Greg can get back on track and finish his career on a positive note. Congrats to Greg!!
---Lucie & Jill, N.Ireland

Great news about Greg Rusedski being cleared. Hopefully he can get back to his winning ways and a story book ending like Ivanisevic had is on the cards.
---Ollie Burgess, Lancaster

Really pleased for Gregg, his family and all who believed in Him.
---Andrew, East Bridgford, Notts.UK

This is great news, British Tennis needs Henman and Rusedski and hopefully this will spur them on for this Tennis year.
---R Smith, England

In common with the actions of that other Australian sportsman that was recently made to eat his words, will we now see Pat Cash prancing up Oxford Street in one of Serena William's dresses?
---Jon Andersson, Worthing

There seem to be double standards in drug testing. An athlete (Chambers) is convicted (unknowingly he says) when he takes a banned substance, but Rusedski who appears to have done the same is cleared. There must be unanimity between sports for a policy to make sense.
---Michael, Bristol

So pleased for Greg and his wife. Saw him in Birmingham once chatting away to young children about the sport he seemed very happy chatting away!!! Well done Greg
---Pat White,

Justice has been done, I am so pleased for Greg, that this ordeal will now hopefully be laid to rest, and he can get back to playing the exciting tennis we love him for
---Emma, Somerset

Excellent news Re Greg Rusedski and fair play to the LTA for their decision. Never doubted him and now hope he play to his potential again
---Mark, Newcastle, UK

Like many other fans, I'm so glad for Greg being cleared. He deserves our praise that he has stood his ground and shown that he is a great player without relying on the use of performance-enhancing drugs. He is a player of great sportsmanship. Way to go, Greg!
---Christopher Chao, Hong Kong

Delighted that Cannonball Greg has been cleared. Look forward to seeing him lift the crown at Wimbledon this year. Well done Greg!
---Paul Kilby, Merchant City, Scotland

Good for Greg! At least the UK has got a character not afraid to let his emotions show on court to follow at Wimbledon this year - not that unconvincing choreographed tight lipped single fist air punch of tedious Tim! Give those umpires some stick Greg 'Rudeboy' Rusedski!.
---Iain Lorraine, Nottingham

Really good news.
---Mike, London Area

Fantastic news for Greg and all of his many fans. Justice has prevailed, why it took so long we'll probably never know, but the right result has come at last. Greg is one of the most honest, professional and genuine guys on the Tour and it's ridiculous to think that he could ever even think of taking a performance enhancing substance.

Let's hope that the ATP are now taking a long, hard look at their testing procedures etc. - to nearly ruin the career of an innocent man is bad enough, it mustn't happen to anyone else. Now perhaps Greg can return to the Tour and play as we know he can, all power to your elbow Greg, you're the BEST!!!
---Sandy Read, Sutton, Cambs.

I am very happy for Greg that he has been cleared. When the news broke out originally, it sounded from some quarters that he was desperate and somehow it was highlighted as if he was the first guy within the tennis fraternity to have tested positive.

I am glad he kept his cool and went through the processes. I think it is time that the news channels that almost overblew the Rusedski matter should now publish the names of all the tennis players that have failed various drug tests but have been kept under wraps. Its only fair.
---Henry M Brown, Berkshire

I would like to congratulate Greg, and to say he should be justly proud of the faith put in him by his friends and colleagues, most especially David Lloyd.
---Bridget, London

What ever happened to strict liability? Dwain chambers case was identical to this and was handed a 2 year ban. It seems a rule for one and a rule for another!
---Mr Roche, Sheffield

I am glad for Greg... everyone knew he was not guilty. However, he is guilty of having the worst topspin backhand in tennis history and I think that should have been enough to warrant a lengthy ban.
---Simon Mundie, Surrey

When I heard the news that Greg has been cleared, I started to cry, I am so happy for you Greg, all the best
---Marilyn Inniss, Croydon

Justice has been done. The whole process has been unfair and the ATP need to take a long hard look at themselves and the way they have handled all this and tried to make one player a scapegoat.

I now just look forward to Greg resuming his career and this whole episode will give him even greater motivation.
---Martin Gray, Falkirk. Scotland

Great news for Greg. Greg's nandralone amount was minute and could have stayed in his system for two months which means it was given to him BEFORE the ATP banned the contaminated substance.

You can't compare what happened to Rusedski to that of other drugs cheats in other sports. These people are guilty of putting a substance into their bodies given to them by an outside supplier whether it be a doctor or trainer, Greg's was given to him by the ATP itself.

The ATP needs to look at itself very closely indeed if it is to survive this scandal. Some of these tablets were left unlocked and unattended at tournaments and could easily have been tampered with. This is just crazy and asking for trouble.

I completely agree David Aindow about Pat Cash, he should have learned the facts before shouting his mouth off. Greg's reputation is clear, Cash's has gone down in many peoples opinion.
---Iain, Luton, UK

What is going on? You have the IAAF banning Dwaine Chambers for just having the substance in his bloodstream regardless whether it was taking unwittingly or not. Now the ATP clears Greg for a similar offence.

This whole drugs debate needs urgent examination, as at the moment the IAAF and ATP are sending completely opposing messages regarding doping offences.
---Graham K, Hartlepool

Never thought for one minute he was guilty. Delighted he has been cleared. Hope he can now get back on court. Shame verdict took so long.
---Annie Williams, London

Some drugs used for one purpose often contain substances which, when used by themselves, would be considered performance-enhancing. It is up to the ATP & WTA to notify players and trainers which substances are not to be used. Violators who are caught through random drug testing should be given swift sentences.
---Miles Raymond, Nova Scotia

Well done Greg, we are all really proud of you, best of luck for the rest of the year.
---Gofannon LeBoutillier, Cornwall

We have been waiting to hear this news for days. It is great that Greg has been cleared and we look forward to seeing him back in action in the Davis Cup next month. We are not surprised that Greg was cleared. So many influential people in the game supported him. Nobody wants to see drugs in sport.
---The Smith Family, Leeds

Well done on winning the case Greg!! I always knew you would. Now go out there and show them what you're made of!!!
---Sue Turner-Smith, Ash, Surrey

The question is why was Rusedski put in this position in the first place? The ATP needs to clarify a few of the drug laws and whether players can still take electrolytes and supplements. We need to find out what is in these things that is making these players test positive.
---Daniel McGuire, Tennessee, USA

Of course Greg didn't take performance enhancing drugs, anyone who saw him play last year would agree that his performances were anything but enhanced.
---GW Lewis, England

Well done Greg. It's been a dreadful time for you and Lucy. Now put it behind you and go on and win Wimbledon!
---Pat Cook, Purley, U.K.

The drug case and verdict won't have much effect on Greg Rusedski's career. Although I'm Canadian and have rooted for Greg, his best days are behind him. I root for Federer these days.
---Aldon, Canada

Excellent! It will be great to see you out there again, Greg. Enjoy your upcoming matches & put this all behind!
---Val, Victoria, B.C. Canada

Ron from the north east, you're talking rubbish. Would you take it lying down if you were innocent? No. Tennis has punished several players before due to the taking of drugs and suspended them. If Greg was guilty you can bet he'd be treated the same. I think he should be allowed to continue with his career and hopefully climb back up the rankings.
---Kieran, Manchester

Something is wrong with this sporting picture! How is it that Athletes like Dwain Chambers, etc, get a ban for unknowingly taking banned substances and Greg Rudeski, is cleared? Barry Bonds will likely go scott free as well, when he got his supplements from the same company as did Dwain - Balco. Why the discrepancies in Athletics, Tennis & Baseball anti-doping stance?
---Mand, Haftfield

That's great news! From the start I never believed the allegations against Greg. I hope to see him build on this and make his climb back to the top of the game.
---Lowell, London, UK

So pleased for Greg. Can't wait to see him in Luxembourg next month!
---Sheena Birch, Burton on Trent

Congratulations to Greg. But the issue does not lie with him it lies with the WADA and the ATP. If it is true what Greg said about over 40 tennis players had positive nandrolone tests last year, they should be named and the ATP should be dealt with.
---Chris, London

I think the Rusdeski verdict was just and fair.

As the ATP revealed yesterday, the unknown source of nandrolene is still causing elevated test results. Whilst they need to get to the bottom of this urgently, under the current circumstances, it is surely not currently appropriate to enforce a policy of strict liability.

After all, drug testing is designed to weed out those who are cheating, not to penalise innocent athletes who have simply taken basic supplements to replenish their systems.
---Jo, Berkshire, UK

Yet again, the decision to let Rusedski off shows that ONLY Athletics takes the drug problem in sport seriously. I would call for tennis to be chucked out of the OLYMPICS. He 'did not knowingly take the drug?' well, neither did skier Alan Baxter, yet he lost his Olympic medal, and accepted it like a MAN! Not like Rusedski! A sad, sad day....
---Ron Macrae, North East

Go Greg!! Now get back where you deserve to be in the rankings!
---Samantha, Barcelona, Spain

Excellent! Well Done you! Everybody knew you were innocent, go and prove to everyone how good you are, Greg Rusedski - Wimbledon Champ 2004.
---Paul, New Zealand

It's fantastic news that Greg Rusedski has been cleared. It will be brilliant to see him back on court - Go Greg!!
---Paul Evans, Wales, UK

I, like others, was very surprised to hear that Greg had been accused of being a drugs cheat - he had the image of being 'clean'. I am highly delighted that he has been found to be innocent, and hope that he can go back to being Britain's number one player. Good luck Greg!
---Fiona Wherrett, Livingston, Scotland

oasis04
03-11-2004, 06:30 PM
<A Sceptic.......my first thoughts were WTF! Maybe there is more going on than we realise........but second thought was.......logical drug testing 4FS! They need 2 revise the rules, and what can, and cant b taken.

Surely players have to take big responsibily you dont think?

The top players are apparently tested over 20 times a season...Federer came out and said he was tested over 21 times and never had a problem so why does rusedski get so much sympathy????

jtipson
03-11-2004, 06:34 PM
He gets sympathy because it seems he wasn't cheating, yet he had to go through this process and nearly had his career ended.

The purpose of drug testing is to catch cheats, isn't it? If it punishes the innocent, then it's a step too far.

amethyst
03-11-2004, 07:16 PM
It remains a mystery to me why pro sports and sports organisations (the problem exists not in tennis only) should be unable to provide themselves with uncontaminated supplements. They should have enough power and/or money to get the producers to produce clean stuff. They could even built their own factory if necessary. So I´m still suspicious that that all this supplement talk might be an excuse for the use of banned substances.

scoobydoo
03-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Rusedski dun cheat, the ATP should have egg on their face for having made such a mess of their whole drug testing system as it is at present.

Here in wednesbury, west midlands our local sunday football league have carried out drug testing on players for a couple of years and works great and no problems unlike the ATP, the whole rusedski episode has been a farce.

armaniman
03-12-2004, 01:12 AM
justice has been done with him being cleared.

now hes free to resume career, britains chances of having a wimbledon champion this year have been boosted by 0.01 %

Mwarra
03-12-2004, 01:22 AM
LMAOOOOOOOOOOO WOW those r great odds armaniman! Glad Im not a Brit! hehehe only joking!

Mwarra
03-12-2004, 01:33 AM
Of course they need 2 take responsibility Oasis04 but dont u think with all the money they pay their coaches and staff.....they would b told the rules and told what they cant take?

Tennis Fool
03-12-2004, 04:14 AM
ATP Should Apologize to Rusedski Says Agassi
28 minutes ago Add Sports - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Matthew Cronin

INDIAN WELLS, California (Reuters) - Andre Agassi (news) said Thursday the ATP should apologize to Greg Rusedski (news) if it is discovered men's tennis's governing body gave the Briton a supplement that was contaminated.

"The ATP has put this in the hands of the IOC (news - web sites) (International Olympic Committee) and WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) to make sure that the appropriate things are done," Agassi told reporters at the Pacific Life Open which starts Friday.

"I believe you should go above and beyond in supporting your players. Assuming there was a cross-contamination, there should definitely be an apology."

Wednesday, a tribunal appointed by the ATP exonerated Canadian-born Rusedski after he tested positive for nandrolone, saying the ATP itself had probably provided contaminated supplements.

"I can only imagine what it would be like to have your entire life and career on the line," Agassi said.

"That's why it's so important that the due process is fair. They had an investigation that found he should be exonerated.

"From a competitor's standpoint, the players have to count on two things: how extensive our testing is, meaning are we really getting to the bottom of are people cheating, and is there going to be some sort of due process that's fair?

"All we can really do is count on our governing body to see if it is dealt with fairly."

Even though Rusedski tested positive for twice the legal limit of nandrolone, eight times grand slam champion Agassi believes the 1997 U.S. Open (news - web sites) runner-up was not trying to get an edge.

'NOT CHEATING'

"In this case and all other cases we've talked about, we are talking about positives that are so minimal they are not even performance enhancing," Agassi said.

"You are talking about an amount of something in your system that's a clear indication of cross-contamination that happens probably in a good portion of the products that you take at the local drug store.

"This isn't about players cheating, it's about something that is showing up in player's systems that isn't even considered performance enhancing. The issue should be dealt with head on."

Even though the ATP anti-doping policy has failed to successfully prosecute in the cases of Rusedski and Czech Bohdan Ulihrach, whose suspension was overturned last year, Agassi said the tour needs to keep vigilant.

"I need to be on the court knowing that if I am playing someone who is trying to enhance their performance illegally, that they are going to get caught."

Agassi was recently named to an ATP task force that is investigating the issues and said that the tour must locate the source of the contamination and approve a set of supplemental products that the players can take.

"We've got guys being scared to drink out of a Gatorade bottle," Agassi said.

"We have to get to the bottom if it. The thought of somebody's livelihood, career or legacy to be ripped to shreds for an accident is a terrible thought."

oasis04
03-12-2004, 04:21 AM
ATP owe him a lot for putting him under stress and leaving him in limbo land for so long.

oasis04
03-12-2004, 04:25 AM
LMAOOOOOOOOOOO WOW those r great odds armaniman! Glad Im not a Brit! hehehe only joking!

its funny I was saying I am glad I am not an aussie after the world cup rugby triumph last year LMAO

(shes an australian by the way for people who dont get it, lmao)

J. Corwin
03-12-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure about all these conspiracy theories. Would be too sad if it/they were true.

Smankyou
03-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Rusedski dun cheat, the ATP should have egg on their face for having made such a mess of their whole drug testing system as it is at present.

As the regulatory body for men's tennis, the ATP was merely doing their job. It's unfair to criticise as there is obviously more to the story than we know.

I think it's a great stand on their behalf to let the players know that they will be caught if they play around with drugs.

Smankyou
03-12-2004, 11:52 AM
its funny I was saying I am glad I am not an aussie after the world cup rugby triumph last year LMAO

lol. Don't even get me started on that.

And the last time I checked... making it to the finals isn't a bad effort :)

Action Jackson
03-12-2004, 12:15 PM
The ATP are incompetent my blind cousin could run their drug policy much better than those clowns, they should just let the WADA do it and have nothing to do with the testing procedure.

Mwarra
03-13-2004, 07:46 PM
OASIS04 AND DAN FULLER NEEDS 2 GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO AND RUN 2 MUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

armaniman
03-13-2004, 07:49 PM
needs to get off drugs and booze, split with father of her kids, stop swearing, see a councellor, stop sending presents across the world to people on net she has known for 5 minutes.

ALSO stop preying on men years younger than her 10,000 MILES AWAY to try and regain her youth and generally get a LIFE !!!!

armaniman
03-13-2004, 07:51 PM
ALISON WARRILOW 9mwarra) is a slag who webcams and strips and sends pics and tried to get me to visit there and if anyone does not belive me i have all the pictures, her address and everything

SHES A FREAK SO STAY CLEAR !!!

reason she said mummy comment is my mum hates her and toold her to stay away and bloody good job too as shes a messed up lying, drunken old sex orientated slapper

hedgehog
03-13-2004, 07:54 PM
chill mate !! your a cool guy, they have all the problems and thats why they cause the shit, you have loads going for you and their life is fked so forget them and let them swim in their own shit

armaniman
03-13-2004, 07:58 PM
thankyou hedge mate, your cool and a great mate and so right. shes not even into tennis so dont know why she followed me onto this site..

KEEP IT TENNIS !!!!!!!

armaniman
03-13-2004, 08:24 PM
perhaps if mwarra kept up with the times she woudl know i am working....she reckons i spend my life on here...she however does not work and is sad enugh to drink her life away and follow younger men around on the net.

ILR
03-14-2004, 01:58 AM
Good for Greg. I found it hard to believe that he would do something like this.

sigmagirl91
03-14-2004, 02:07 AM
OMG, did I miss something? How did the conversation turn from Greg being cleared to someone being sex-starved and man crazy?
Another thread, wrecked for the good people who are interested in some REAL dialogue. A pity....

armaniman
03-14-2004, 02:16 AM
well she tried to wreck the song game on on threads too and i can ASSURE you i am a REAL tennis fan and ask other users on here that i know if you are in any doubt !!!

sigmagirl91
03-14-2004, 02:19 AM
Hey, I didn't say anything about your not being a real fan. I am just wondering where the talk about some sex-starved, man crazy woman with 5 kids came from. That's all....
Thanks for cleaning up nice and neat the fact that you are a real fan.