Indian wells main draw [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Indian wells main draw

Frooty_Bazooty
03-09-2004, 10:12 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2004/404/MDS.pdf

Omg, Pavel vs Federer again??!?!? thats the 4th time this year!

Frooty_Bazooty
03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Possible Agassi vs Hrbaty 3rd round

Frooty_Bazooty
03-09-2004, 10:15 PM
hewitt may meet federer in semis

*Marat BigFan*
where?? I can't open that

Frooty_Bazooty
nope, even earlier, in the quarters

croat123
03-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Goran vs. Todd!! :eek:

*Marat BigFan*
03-09-2004, 10:18 PM
how about Marat?

Frooty_Bazooty
possible scootdale rematch in 2nd round, kiefer vs spadea

roddick may play safin in 3rd and henman in quarters!

WyveN
marat can meet andy in 3rd round, given their second round opponenets its extremely unlikely that they wont verse each other

federer has easy road until quarters where he may play hewitt

federer and roddick are in same half

*Marat BigFan*
03-09-2004, 10:19 PM
how about first round and second round?

Frooty_Bazooty
03-09-2004, 10:20 PM
safin to play davydenko or Q in 2nd

ljubicic vs soderling....interesting first round match

croat123
03-09-2004, 10:21 PM
safin has a bye and then plays the winner of davydenko and a qualifier

*Marat BigFan*
How about Paradorn?

WyveN
agassis quarter is pretty weak as usual

Frooty_Bazooty
grosjean has a very good draw, but im not sure if he's injured or not :confused:

croat123
03-09-2004, 10:23 PM
ljubicic has a great draw if he gets past the first round...

*Marat BigFan*
03-09-2004, 10:24 PM
why i can't open the page??

jtipson
03-09-2004, 10:25 PM
marat can meet andy in 3rd round, given their second round opponenets its extremely unlikely that they wont verse each other

Nah, Federer has Coria. Roddick is in the bottom half.
Roddick has Safin AND Henman. :devil: And Spadea, possibly in the 4th.

-wokkel-
03-09-2004, 10:25 PM
safin against roddick in 3rd round!

Sagie
03-09-2004, 10:27 PM
I cant open the page either... What about Nieminen? And could somebody please post the whole draw here?

jtipson
03-09-2004, 10:27 PM
why i can't open the page??

Do you have Adobe Acrobat? If not, you'll need to download it or wait until someone types out the draw.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-09-2004, 10:29 PM
nieminen to meet moya in 3rd, massu/ljubicic/calleri in 4th, ferrero/kuerten in quarter

tangerine_dream
03-09-2004, 10:30 PM
agassis quarter is pretty weak as usual

That's because compared to Agassi, everyone is "weak". ;)

Sagie
thanks...

Sjengster
Ha ha ha, so Federer's tough draws were supposed to stop some time, were they? That's Hewitt in his half for the third tournament in a row, and in his quarter for the second time after the AO. To say nothing of Gonzalez early on... eek!

Awful draw, Schalken to face the winner of Escude and Gaudio in the second round?!! Aaargh, that's three of my favourite players in the same section.

*Marat BigFan*
03-09-2004, 10:31 PM
how about Paradorn?

Frooty_Bazooty
03-09-2004, 10:32 PM
and should he win that, he has safin or roddick in the 4th round :p

Frooty_Bazooty
03-09-2004, 10:32 PM
paradorn has easy draw until 4th where he might play hewitt

WyveN
03-09-2004, 10:45 PM
pavel is getting worse draws then Roger, gets to meet Roger very early for the past 3 tournaments. And he seems to be beating everyone else comfortably

jtipson
03-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Full draw, numbers after names are seedings:

Federer, Roger 1
bye
Karlovic, Ivo
Pavel, Andrei
Melzer, Jurgen
Hanescu, Victor
bye
Gonzalez, Fernando 26

Fish, Mardy 18
bye
qualifier q
Ulihrach, Bohdan
Martin, Todd
Ivanisevic, Goran
bye
Novak, Jiri 16

Srichaphan, Paradorn 10
bye
Enqvist, Thomas wc
Haas, Tommy wc
Volandri, Filippo
Canas, Guillermo
bye
Costa, Albert 23

Chela, Juan Ignacio 32
bye
qualifier q
Martin, Alberto
qualifier q
Johansson, Thomas
bye
Hewitt, Lleyton 8

Coria, Guillermo 4
bye
Ancic, Mario
Sargsian, Sargis
Bogomolov, Alex wc
qualifier q
bye
Mirnyi, Max 27

Clement, Arnaud 24
bye
Zabaleta, Mariano
Sluiter, Raemon
Sanguinetti, Davide
Santoro, Fabrice
bye
Grosjean, Sebastien 13

Philippoussis, Mark 12
bye
Lee, Hyung-Taik
Youzhny, Mikhail
Moodie, Wesley
Horna, Luis
bye
Lopez, Feliciano 20

Hrbaty, Dominik 31
bye
Malisse, Xavier
Beck, Karol
Sanchez, David
Saulnier, Cyril
bye
Agassi, Andre 5

Schuettler, Rainer 6
bye
qualifier q
qualifier q
qualifier q
Vahaly, Brian
bye
Bjorkman, Jonas 28

Robredo, Tommy 18
bye
Ferrer, David
Corretja, Alex wc
Mantilla, Felix
qualifier q
bye
Henman, Tim 9

Schalken, Sjeng 14
bye
Gaudio, Gaston
Escude, Nicolas
Kiefer, Nicolas
Saretta, Flavio
bye
Spadea, Vincent 21

Safin, Marat 30, wc
bye
qualifier q
Davydenko, Nikolay
Gambill, Jan-Michael
qualifier q
bye
Roddick, Andy 3

Moya, Carlos 7
bye
Labadze, Irakli
qualifier q
Arazi, Hicham
Rochus, Olivier
bye
Nieminen, Jarkko 29

Calleri, Agustin 22
bye
Ljubicic, Ivan
Soderling, Robin
Burgsmuller, Lars
Nadal, Rafael
bye
Massu, Nicolas 11

Kuerten, Gustavo 16
bye
qualifier q
Dent, Taylor
Ramirez Hidalgo, Ruben
Lapentti, Nicolas
bye
Verkerk, Martin 17

Ginepri, Robby 26
bye
Blake, James
Stepanek, Radek
Andreev, Igor
Ferreira, Wayne
bye
Ferrero, Juan Carlos 2

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 10:54 PM
oy gevalt.

-wokkel-
03-09-2004, 10:54 PM
where is the qualli draw?

Sjengster
03-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Ah, I posted the draw over in the tournament forum... without bothering to fill in the seedings from 9 to 32, so this is much appreciated.

LCeh
03-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Well, compared to Dubai and AO, Roger doesn't have such a tough draw. Don't mean to be arrogant, but with the way Roger has been playing, whoever gets him early is gonna have a tough time. I certainly can't wait for the Roddick/Safin match though, should be a really good one.

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 10:59 PM
I certainly can't wait for the Roddick/Safin match though, should be a really good one.

Andy has to get through Gambill first.

jtipson
03-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Ah, I posted the draw over in the tournament forum... without bothering to fill in the seedings from 9 to 32, so this is much appreciated.

Guess we were busy on that at the same time ;).

Like the look of Henman's draw, by the way, nice path to the quarters (depending on the qualifiers of course!).

Sjengster
03-09-2004, 11:04 PM
The qualies could throw up some tricky opponents, but Henman really has no excuse if he doesn't do well in a field like this. The two main seeds, Robredo and Schuettler, are both players whom he's beaten in the past at IW albeit in tight three-setters, so it's a winnable section.

Action Jackson
03-09-2004, 11:21 PM
If it happens the Federer/Gonzalez match is one that I would be interested in watching.

I wonder if they will only show Roddick and Agassi on the TV coverage, luckily I don't have to worry about that.

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 11:33 PM
I wonder if they will only show Roddick and Agassi on the TV coverage, luckily I don't have to worry about that.

I thought you were smarter than that GWH. of course they will, unfortunately. They're showing us a lot of live coverage in the US but it's only for little 2-3 hour blocks at a time. What they'll do if Andy loses to Gambill or Safin and Andre loses to Hrbaty, who knows.

shaoyu
03-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Me too George as they have not met each other before. I want to see how Roger handles that blow-away style of Gonzalez.

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Gonzo seems so inconsistent that unless he's really having an on day, he's pretty beatable. I don't see Roger having much trouble with him.

rassklovn
03-10-2004, 12:08 AM
That's the thing bunk you don't know with Gonzalez anything can happen with him and that's why he's so hard to play, yet very easy to beat when he is playing crap.

rassklovn
03-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Hopefully Hrbaty and Agassi can meet up in the 3rd round, so Hrbaty can take him Agassi again and improve his H2H record and make up for that loss at RG.

Leo
03-10-2004, 12:15 AM

Roddick could easily lose to Gambill in the second round; he almost did in Scottsdale, after all.

No, Roddick's in the same half as Ferrero. It's Coria and Federer in the other semi. Why do I doubt that those won't actually be the real semifinal match-ups? I wouldn't be surprised if all of the top 4 seeds lost prior to the semis.

Leo
03-10-2004, 12:18 AM
pavel is getting worse draws then Roger, gets to meet Roger very early for the past 3 tournaments. And he seems to be beating everyone else comfortably

Indeed. Poor Andrei seems to be playing well again but can't escape Federer early in events.

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Roddick could easily lose to Gambill in the second round; he almost did in Scottsdale, after all.

No, Roddick's in the same half as Ferrero. It's Coria and Federer in the other semi. Why do I doubt that those won't actually be the real semifinal match-ups? I wouldn't be surprised if all of the top 4 seeds lost prior to the semis.

Well I was at the Gambill match in Scottsdale. Andy didn't almost lose, not by any stretch. I mean yes he lost the first in a tiebreaker, but he wasn't broken the whole match.. He did have to play great tennis in the second and third to beat him, but Gambill was also serving incredibly well and I don't know him well enough to know if he's capable of doing that again. It will be tough for sure, though, and yes Andy could definitely lose :(

And I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if none of the 4 seeds were in the semis right now either. Based on current form I'd pick Moya over Ferrero in that quarter.

Leo
03-10-2004, 12:21 AM
I thought you were smarter than that GWH. of course they will, unfortunately. They're showing us a lot of live coverage in the US but it's only for little 2-3 hour blocks at a time. What they'll do if Andy loses to Gambill or Safin and Andre loses to Hrbaty, who knows.

They'll show Gambill, Blake, Ginepri, and Fish instead, of course.

I would like to see Ferrero vs. Blake rematch of their fun Cincy '02 match, if they can both make it that far. Ferrero's got to deal with troublesome Ferreira first, and he won't have a boisterous crowd this time to see him through.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-10-2004, 12:26 AM
leo, im not sure if you wanted to sign up for PAW indian wells or not. you said "yeah sure" but im not sure if u meant you wanted to sign up or whether you were replying to someone else comment.

Leo
03-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Well I was at the Gambill match in Scottsdale. Andy didn't almost lose, not by any stretch. I mean yes he lost the first in a tiebreaker, but he wasn't broken the whole match.. He did have to play great tennis in the second and third to beat him, but Gambill was also serving incredibly well and I don't know him well enough to know if he's capable of doing that again. It will be tough for sure, though, and yes Andy could definitely lose :(

And I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if none of the 4 seeds were in the semis right now either. Based on current form I'd pick Moya over Ferrero in that quarter.

Oh, I just assumed Roddick wasn't playing well in that match against Gambill. But I guess Ken Doll does have some good tennis left in him. Still, Roddick will probably beat him again this week (or next week, whatever) to set up a rematch with Safin, assuming, of course, that Marat isn't upset by his far less talented compatriot.

If Moya/Ferrero actually takes place in the quarters (I wish, but doubt), I would definitely like Ferrero's chances in that one. Moya might have had some better results so far this season, but that was mostly on clay. And, in all honesty, Ferrero owns the vet (7-2 H2H), and pyschologically I'm not sure Moya would have the confidence to pull off the upset. Ferrero's a whole new player now, as well. I don't even think Moya has the edge on serve anymore like he used to in that match-up.

Leo
03-10-2004, 12:29 AM
leo, im not sure if you wanted to sign up for PAW indian wells or not. you said "yeah sure" but im not sure if u meant you wanted to sign up or whether you were replying to someone else comment.

Yes, I do want to sign up. :)

When do we post our first round of picks? The day before the tournament starts?

rassklovn
03-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by GWH

Hmmm, I think you know the answer to that and as you said it's lucky that I don't have to worry about such narrow coverage.

bunk, are you feeling ok? You give credit for GWH being smarter than that. Though what you do say about Hrbaty beaing Agassi ( will happen if they play) and Roddick losing early that would kill the ratings. At the same time as Leo said they might show Brian Vahaly, Spadea, Fish, Baker, Morrison, Ginepri, Bryan brothers just to keep the dream alive.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Yes, I do want to sign up. :)

When do we post our first round of picks? The day before the tournament starts?

Whenever you want, Ive put the points for all the matches that dont have qualies in them up already. You can stake on them if u want now or you can wait til matches in the later rounds, whichever you prefer
:)

Billabong
03-10-2004, 01:29 AM
I hope Guga can go far again:)! Thanks for the draw guys:)!

GOOOOO GUGZZZZ:D!!!!

tangerine_dream
03-10-2004, 01:38 AM
Gonzo seems so inconsistent that unless he's really having an on day, he's pretty beatable. I don't see Roger having much trouble with him.

I wouldn't count on it. Gonzo's erratic style is perfect for preventing Roger from falling into a comfort zone. Players with no rhythm (or who refuse to let Roger settle in) tend to throw him off kilter a bit.

TennisLurker
03-10-2004, 01:40 AM
Gaudio is soooo going to lose to Escude that i dont even want to think about it.

Evil Coria has many big guys with big serves near, I think he will lose early.

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Oh, I just assumed Roddick wasn't playing well in that match against Gambill. But I guess Ken Doll does have some good tennis left in him. Still, Roddick will probably beat him again this week (or next week, whatever) to set up a rematch with Safin, assuming, of course, that Marat isn't upset by his far less talented compatriot.

No, Andy played great in the second and third sets, really good. First set he played ok, was a little flat, and Gambill was serving out of sight (he had 21 or 22 aces to Andy's 11 in the whole match) and threw him off guard and he played a couple sloppy points in the TB. Then Gambill's serve % went down just a little and Andy pounced on it, hit some incredible returns and passing shots, etc. And he was actually volleying well lol. But yea, Gambill definitely pushed Andy to play very well to get the win, especially because he attacked his BH at any and every opportunity. He should beat him again at IW, especially since the weather should be warmer which would help his back stay looser, but he could also definitely lose, that's all I'm saying lol

bunk, are you feeling ok? You give credit for GWH being smarter than that. Though what you do say about Hrbaty beaing Agassi ( will happen if they play) and Roddick losing early that would kill the ratings. At the same time as Leo said they might show Brian Vahaly, Spadea, Fish, Baker, Morrison, Ginepri, Bryan brothers just to keep the dream alive.

what do you mean am I feeling ok? LOL. sorry, didn't understand what you meant.

And yes that's what I meant about ESPN. with no Williams sisters and no Capriati or Seles, Davenport is the only lady for them to show so yea, if Andy and Andre lose early ESPN is fucked up a creek lol. I would pass out if they showed the Bryan Brothers. They didn't even show their AO Final. They do have way too much coverage to ONLY show Andy and Andre, but obviously, ESPN is praying to the gods for them to do well lol

but you know, after I was at a tournament with a lot of great and interesting players and saw that 99% of the people there only cared about Andy (Andre didn't play), I see why ESPN does what it does. The audience in the stadium in Scottsdale about tripled when Andy went on court (and about doubled what it was when another American like James or Robby was playing). So while it's horribly annoying, they probably really do know what they are doing over there at ESPN.

tangerine_dream
03-10-2004, 02:25 AM
Ivanisevic pulls out of Indian Wells
10 March, 2004

INDIAN WELLS, California, March 9 (Reuters) - Former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic has pulled out of this week's $2.7 million Pacific Life Open with a back injury, ATP spokesman Greg Sharko said on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old Ivanisevic has played sparingly due to a shoulder injury that required surgery since winning the Wimbledon crown in 2001.

The Croat has played three tournaments this year, winning his first round match in Milan over Bohdan Ulihrach before falling in the next round to Tommy Robredo.

Ivanisevic lost in the first of round of his next two tournaments in Rotterdam and Marseille last month.

Number one ranked Roger Federer is the top seed at the ATP Tennis Masters Series event that features 19 of the world's top 20 men, including number two ranked Juan Carlos Ferrero and number three Andy Roddick. Men's play begins on Friday.

Argentine newspapers reported on Monday that world number eight David Nalbandian had pulled out because of an ankle injury.

The women's tournament, which begins on Wednesday, has been hit by several withdrawals with world number six Jennifer Capriati the latest on Tuesday because of a back injury.

-----

Another player with a back injury. Well, that sucks. :sad:

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 02:30 AM
aw poor Goran :(

tangerine_dream
03-10-2004, 02:56 AM
but you know, after I was at a tournament with a lot of great and interesting players and saw that 99% of the people there only cared about Andy (Andre didn't play), I see why ESPN does what it does. The audience in the stadium in Scottsdale about tripled when Andy went on court (and about doubled what it was when another American like James or Robby was playing). So while it's horribly annoying, they probably really do know what they are doing over there at ESPN.

What ESPN does is no different than what Eurosport, the BBC, Telemundo and others news/sport networks do: focus on people who will bring in the ratings and the money. In the US, that would be Agassi and Roddick (surprise!). In Thailand, it's Paradorn. Go to the UK and bask in Henmanmania! :lol: It's the same the world over. :)

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 03:24 AM
Tangerinus, with the TV coverage I get I don't have that problem and have you ever watched Eurosport?

They have Spanish, German, English and French commentary, so they cater to different markets, no shit tangerinus of course they are going to show local players in those markets, at the same time they don't so favour one player/two players that the rest of the audience remains ignorant of the other players, unlike if it's not Agassi or Roddick then it's not worth showing in the US market.

alfonsojose
03-10-2004, 03:41 AM
Rainer .. You have to beat Bjorkman and crush the qualifier .. go :)

alfonsojose
03-10-2004, 03:50 AM
Moya barely survived on Mexico and it was against no top-20 players and on clay. Ferrero is another player. I think ferrero would beat him at IW.

And i hope Spadea :worship: can beat that arrogant Kiefer :( again

J. Corwin
03-10-2004, 04:08 AM
I just printed the draw out. Should be fun following and making predictions.

Fedex
03-10-2004, 04:28 AM
Easy path for Rogi to the semis!! Go Rogi!!! :D :woohoo:

RogiFan88
03-10-2004, 05:14 AM
What ESPN does is no different than what Eurosport, the BBC, Telemundo and others news/sport networks do: focus on people who will bring in the ratings and the money. In the US, that would be Agassi and Roddick (surprise!). In Thailand, it's Paradorn. Go to the UK and bask in Henmanmania! :lol: It's the same the world over. :)

Almost everywhere, exc in Canada... what Canadian players do we get here?? We just get what you Yanks get... I don't mind AA and Pandy dropping out early but my reward w be the likes of Vahaly?!! :rolleyes:

RogiFan88
03-10-2004, 05:16 AM
I wouldn't count on it. Gonzo's erratic style is perfect for preventing Roger from falling into a comfort zone. Players with no rhythm (or who refuse to let Roger settle in) tend to throw him off kilter a bit.

Hmm... have they played each other?? Can't recall...

Gonzo has been very erratic of late, exc for Vina del Mar I guess... playing recklessly, as bad as Paradorn... :p and I like these guys... :p

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 05:34 AM
Hmm... have they played each other?? Can't recall...

Gonzo has been very erratic of late, exc for Vina del Mar I guess... playing recklessly, as bad as Paradorn... :p and I like these guys... :p

No, they haven't played each other yet and Gonzo is always erratic so that isn't surprising.

Originally Posted by Fedex
Easy path for Rogi to the semis!! Go Rogi!!!

Once again your arrogance has shined through, so you might as well say what's the point of the other people playing in tournament, if Rogi is already in the semis before the tournament has started. If and when he loses you would be one of the first people making rubbish excuses.

It's good that most Rogi fans aren't like yourself.

CooCooCachoo
03-10-2004, 05:46 AM
Poor Andrei :(

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Yes, like Pavel is the kind of guy who deserves to keep having Roger in his same section, why couldn't it be someone less likeable.

Domino
03-10-2004, 06:11 AM
Federer has a dangerous draw. Gonzo is always a threat to anyone- taking ferrero to five sets in RG last year, and beating Roddick in Cincinatti two years ago. Although, he could lose in two bagel sets if he isn't on. However, at Vina del Mar, he didn't seem like he was trying to kill the ball with every stroke, signifying he may be maturing a bit. Also, Rogi might face Fish in the fourth round. :)

WyveN
03-10-2004, 06:11 AM

With the consistancy the top players are showing I will be surprised if at least a couple of them don't reach semi. Coria should drop out and probably one of the other three will be upset.

lsy
03-10-2004, 06:15 AM
Once again your arrogance has shined through, so you might as well say what's the point of the other people playing in tournament, if Rogi is already in the semis before the tournament has started. If and when he loses you would be one of the first people making rubbish excuses.

It's good that most Rogi fans aren't like yourself.

Finally someone sees this...thank you George! :)

I agree with the arrogance of some though...I don't know how one can get so confident really. Even Rogi seems to be in great form, I still couldn't see past anything but to follow it match by match. Men's tennis fields is so deep that anybody has the chance to blow any favourites away anyday. No top players can afford to take any of their opponents lightly if they want to win any tournaments.

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 06:15 AM
Yes, Domino your boy better actually do well in these Nth American TMS as he won't be doing much in the others.

Wyver, we never know that little manipulative crybaby could somehow surprise you, then again maybe not. As it stands hopefully there are some good matches, but the Tv networks will be victorious.

lsy
03-10-2004, 06:20 AM
but having said that, Rogi's draw doesn't seem to be as dreadful as Andy this time round.

I can't wait for some great matches on tv finally...yeah!!!

Domino
03-10-2004, 07:01 AM
I had a talk with him the other day and he seemed really excited because he didn't play IW last year. He just wants to make it to play Roger because he always learns a lot from his losses to him. Last year he followed up a loss in Madrid to him with a win in Stockholm. He always tells me that playing Roger lets you know what you need to improve in your game because he finds everything that is weak and punishes it.

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Well wouldn't Fish need a dose of self belief and not go so shitty when things aren't going his way. I remember his great tantrum when old man Ferreira took him out the AO.

The way that sounds like is he wants to play Roger and expects to lose, so he can learn from the loss. At least the last statement is correct.

Domino
03-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Well, he took both losses last year pretty well, especially the Wimbledon third round loss because he took a set of Roger. When he doesn't expect to win, he goes into a match a different player than when he thinks he should win. When he thinks he is going to lose, he plays different every point, basically prodding his opponent to see how he responds. He always says that he has a lot of time to win big, but he has to learn how to play the really big guys (except Roddick-he knows how to play him) before he can win big.

WyveN
03-10-2004, 07:16 AM
I thought Fish would want to make it to Roger to have a chance at beating the best. *shrug*

Domino
03-10-2004, 07:23 AM
There is always that. You can kind of tell that most of the time, he doesn't expect to win. When he first beat Moya last year was like the first time he ever believed he was going to be a top 50 player (that was his goal for the end of last year). He actually said to me last year, "If I don't end the year in the top 50, I am going off to college like you did." Then he beat Moya again, but had the meltdown in the next round in the Aus Open.

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 07:24 AM
He so knows how to play Roddick, but has never beaten him on the tour, methinks Fish isn't doing some right.

Ah! yes, it's called taking your chances when they came around.

Domino
03-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Give him time. Some people don't mature as players as quickly as others (I.E. Nadal). He wants to flag Roddick this year until he surpasses him. (Don't be fooled by the fact that they used to live together. Roddick truly doesn't like it that Fish has made it as far as he has, and doesn't want Mardy to climb any higher).

Dirk
03-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Oh come on. You're telling me Andy is upset that his pal Mardy is having success?

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 07:35 AM
I still say you are overrating the guy, if he proves me wrong then great if not scepticism will rule the way. Since when has Fish been #1 (Playstation tennis doesn't count).

Back to the topic I see Ancic is in the same section as the evil crybaby Coria. If Ancic beats Sargsian, I could see an interesting match between these two.

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Oh come on. You're telling me Andy is upset that his pal Mardy is having success?

It wouldn't surprise me actually considering how popular Andrew is among his peers, if he won more Slams then it would be an issue. Then again it's not so bad that they don't talk to each other.

Dirk
03-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Mardy is not going to win slams. Not for awhile. He might turn into this great player in a few years with his S&V game. I actually like watching Mardy. He is fun. I can't wait to tape his match with Roger. I just hope they both make it there. Still if Andy is upset about Mardy then he is a fucker. I am sure when if Mardy does win a slam he will not need help from the USTA in terms of scheduling.

Domino
03-10-2004, 07:50 AM
GWH, a matchup between Ancic and Coria would be great, but Coria would win if Ancic isn't mentally there. If Ancic is ready to win though, a great upset would be in the making.

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 08:00 AM
That depends if Ancic serves well and the courts are usually quick, if Coria starts whining, there are the ingridients for an upset.

Domino
03-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Yeah, actually Corai got beat pretty bad by Mirnyi in Cincy last year. It was a fast surface, and Mirnyi was serving very well.

Chloe le Bopper
03-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Tangerinus, with the TV coverage I get I don't have that problem and have you ever watched Eurosport?

They have Spanish, German, English and French commentary, so they cater to different markets, no shit tangerinus of course they are going to show local players in those markets, at the same time they don't so favour one player/two players that the rest of the audience remains ignorant of the other players, unlike if it's not Agassi or Roddick then it's not worth showing in the US market.
Nicely put. The problem isn't that they show Roddick and Agassi, the problem is that if those two are around, they dont' show anybody else, unless they have no other choice. And they wonder why "nobody knows who these guys are!" :rolleyes:

As for whoever was suggesting Moya would beat Ferrero... for starters, I'll be surprised if Ferrero gets that far. If he's healthy, I can see an inspired Ferreira wanting a little revenge for that last match, which he should have won. Just in case, perhaps he should bring a conveniently timed injury time-out and a few dozen booing friends in his bag of tricks to use on Ferrero just in case he falls behind 2-5 in the third...

If somehow that quarter does come off, as Leo pointed out, Ferrero has Moya owned. A lot of their matches have been very close, but Ferrero almost always wins. 7-2, and one of those losses came when Ferrero was 19

Chloe le Bopper
03-10-2004, 08:55 AM
By the way, is Massu still in slumping-choking-dog form, or has he gotten over that?

WyveN
03-10-2004, 08:57 AM
or perhaps it was just that Massu was in brilliant, once in a decade form late last year

Chloe le Bopper
03-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Well wouldn't Fish need a dose of self belief and not go so shitty when things aren't going his way. I remember his great tantrum when old man Ferreira took him out the AO.

The way that sounds like is he wants to play Roger and expects to lose, so he can learn from the loss. At least the last statement is correct.
Oh, that tantrum was awful :( I was rooting for him that match, for the first time ever, and uuuuggghhhhh *blocks it out of memory*

Chloe le Bopper
03-10-2004, 09:00 AM
or perhaps it was just that Massu was in brilliant, once in a decade form late last year
Entirely possible. As long as Nadal can get passed Lars, and then take out Massu, I don't really care which it is ;)

J. Corwin
03-10-2004, 09:15 AM

I think Andy is very happy for his friend's success and will continue to be so if Mardy achieves even greater success. However, if Mardy achieves great things, and Andy himself is slumping and doing badly, then maybe there would be some resentment deep down insde. Just my opinion.

Domino
03-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Fact is, it was assumed that Mardy would be the number one golfer in the world, and Andy the number one tennis player in the world (When they were younger, that was their plan). Now Andy feels that Mardy is trying to take what is his, tennis, when he thought Mardy wanted to be a pro golfer. Mardy actually didn't know what he wanted to do until 2000, and even then, after 2002 he considered quitting and going to college.

Anyways, back on topic. An interesting second round matchup could be Blake v Ginepri, if Blake beats Stepanek.

Chloe le Bopper
03-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Interesting back story on Roddick and Mardy. Thanks for sharing.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Ivanisevic pulls out of Indian Wells
10 March, 2004

INDIAN WELLS, California, March 9 (Reuters) - Former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic has pulled out of this week's $2.7 million Pacific Life Open with a back injury, ATP spokesman Greg Sharko said on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old Ivanisevic has played sparingly due to a shoulder injury that required surgery since winning the Wimbledon crown in 2001.

The Croat has played three tournaments this year, winning his first round match in Milan over Bohdan Ulihrach before falling in the next round to Tommy Robredo.

Ivanisevic lost in the first of round of his next two tournaments in Rotterdam and Marseille last month.

Number one ranked Roger Federer is the top seed at the ATP Tennis Masters Series event that features 19 of the world's top 20 men, including number two ranked Juan Carlos Ferrero and number three Andy Roddick. Men's play begins on Friday.

Argentine newspapers reported on Monday that world number eight David Nalbandian had pulled out because of an ankle injury.

The women's tournament, which begins on Wednesday, has been hit by several withdrawals with world number six Jennifer Capriati the latest on Tuesday because of a back injury.

-----

Another player with a back injury. Well, that sucks. :sad:

Does this mean that Pimmy will be moved into the main draw?

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 02:41 PM
(Don't be fooled by the fact that they used to live together. Roddick truly doesn't like it that Fish has made it as far as he has, and doesn't want Mardy to climb any higher).

I love Mardy, think his time in the sun will come, all that stuff. But I absolutely disagree with this that I quoted above... All you have to do is watch them play to see that Andy and Mardy are good friends. they have a rapport that cannot be faked. How do you know so much about this? Did Andy tell you? If not, I don't see how you could possibly know how he (or Mardy for that matter) feels. If we're talking about jealousy, wouldn't Mardy be the jealous one since Andy's accomplished more than him so far and beaten him on their biggest occasions? Sorry, it all sounds a little too tabloid-y for me. Maybe it's because I like them both or whatever, but I just don't see any of that negative feeling. Obviously two friends can be competitive and want to beat each other - look at the Williams Sisters, they love each other but have to try to beat each other - but that doesn't mean there's underlying animosity there like you are suggesting between Mardy and Andy.

Oh and I'd LOVE to see Roger and Mardy play. Mardy was the only person who took a set off him at Wimbledon, I think if Mardy's really on his A Game he has a shot. Maybe a small shot, but a shot.

Space Cowgirl
03-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Rainer .. You have to beat Bjorkman and crush the qualifier .. go :)

Let's hope that qualifier isn't gonna be J Johansson!

tangerine_dream
03-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Tangerinus, with the TV coverage I get I don't have that problem and have you ever watched Eurosport? They have Spanish, German, English and French commentary, so they cater to different markets, no shit tangerinus of course they are going to show local players in those markets, at the same time they don't so favour one player/two players that the rest of the audience remains ignorant of the other players, unlike if it's not Agassi or Roddick then it's not worth showing in the US market.

Yes, I have seen Eurosport and I love it, I wish we got it here in the US. :banana:

Thanks for making your point but I still don't think ESPN "favors" the American players as much as you think they do. I've heard Pat Mac and Mary Carillo go ga-ga over the other players (esp Federer) as much as they have Roddick.

But programming-wise, yes, there was no need to replay Venus' losing match when we could have seen the Safin-Hewitt match (and I trust everybody sent a hailstorm of hate mail to ESPN for that one!). Still, it hasn't reached the "David Beckham ate a ham sandwich today, let's see what else he did today"-type coverage you see in other places. :)

Sjengster
03-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Entirely possible. As long as Nadal can get passed Lars, and then take out Massu, I don't really care which it is ;)

And for my part, as long as the winner of Nadal and Burgsmuller can take out Massu, I don't care which it is either. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Sjengster, you're such a hater! Deep down you just don't want to admit your Massu love.

But programming-wise, yes, there was no need to replay Venus' losing match when we could have seen the Safin-Hewitt match (and I trust everybody sent a hailstorm of hate mail to ESPN for that one!).

It was Nadal-Hewitt. If it was Safin-Hewitt, I assure out that this board would have exploded

alfonsojose
03-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Let's hope that qualifier isn't gonna be J Johansson!

:haha:

well, we'll have to say :wavey: Rainer, see U at Key Byscane.

vene
03-10-2004, 10:30 PM
And yes that's what I meant about ESPN. with no Williams sisters and no Capriati or Seles, Davenport is the only lady for them to show so yea, if Andy and Andre lose early ESPN is fucked up a creek lol. I would pass out if they showed the Bryan Brothers. They didn't even show their AO Final. They do have way too much coverage to ONLY show Andy and Andre, but obviously, ESPN is praying to the gods for them to do well lol

If you're talking about this year's Scottsdale, I don't think the field was that great. Andy was about the only one worth watching. But maybe if ESPN mentioned other players, people will turn up. I do not think they know what they are doing :D

vene
03-10-2004, 10:33 PM
I had a talk with him the other day and he seemed really excited because he didn't play IW last year. He just wants to make it to play Roger because he always learns a lot from his losses to him. Last year he followed up a loss in Madrid to him with a win in Stockholm. He always tells me that playing Roger lets you know what you need to improve in your game because he finds everything that is weak and punishes it.

So he wants a free tennis clinic from Roger? :)

J. Corwin
03-10-2004, 10:39 PM
It definitely was Hewitt-Nadal. (although I do remember them showing a two point highlight..or something like that;))

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 11:25 PM
If you're talking about this year's Scottsdale, I don't think the field was that great. Andy was about the only one worth watching. But maybe if ESPN mentioned other players, people will turn up. I do not think they know what they are doing :D

My point wasn't that it was a great field so much as the crowd was VERY knowledgable about tennis. They all knew Hanescu and Soderling and Malisse and Kiefer, but they wanted to see Andy, it was quite obvious. Blake, Ginepri, and Gambill were also popular. Point being, when an American was on court, even in doubles, the crowd nearly doubled or tripled. Did this come first or was it caused by ESPN's poor coverage, I don't know, that's hard to say. But the point is that ESPN, while maybe annoying and frustrating to those of us who DO want to see everyone else, knows what they're doing and they're only concerned about ratings and that's what showing the American players gets them.

vene
03-10-2004, 11:52 PM
My point wasn't that it was a great field so much as the crowd was VERY knowledgable about tennis. They all knew Hanescu and Soderling and Malisse and Kiefer, but they wanted to see Andy, it was quite obvious. Blake, Ginepri, and Gambill were also popular. Point being, when an American was on court, even in doubles, the crowd nearly doubled or tripled. Did this come first or was it caused by ESPN's poor coverage, I don't know, that's hard to say. But the point is that ESPN, while maybe annoying and frustrating to those of us who DO want to see everyone else, knows what they're doing and they're only concerned about ratings and that's what showing the American players gets them.

Again, Andy and other American players were obviously the main draws at Scottsdale because a lot of the top players were at Dubai. I just want to see good tennis. If I was at Scottsdale, I would certainly go see the American players, because they are at the top of that relatively low calibre field. However when the top players are playing I want to see them. I am not paying for cable so as to watch mediocre matches. The point is, Americans (myself included) do not want to see Ginepri when Hewitt is playing (I refer you to Wetheim's mail bag on the topic). I would also like to point out that last year"s US Open final, featuring Andy, was the lowest since 1998, and one of the lowest on record. A lot of Americans do not think ESPN knows what they are doing- presumably why Tennisweek had to interview ESPN execs on the topic.

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Fact is, it was assumed that Mardy would be the number one golfer in the world, and Andy the number one tennis player in the world (When they were younger, that was their plan). Now Andy feels that Mardy is trying to take what is his, tennis, when he thought Mardy wanted to be a pro golfer. Mardy actually didn't know what he wanted to do until 2000, and even then, after 2002 he considered quitting and going to college.

Interesting story, but I seriously doubt whether Mardy could be the number one golfer in the world, let alone the number one tennis player.

Originally posted by tangerinus
Thanks for making your point but I still don't think ESPN "favors" the American players as much as you think they do. I've heard Pat Mac and Mary Carillo go ga-ga over the other players (esp Federer) as much as they have Roddick.

You wouldn't think that because you are a Roddick and Agassi fan and as an American, you wouldn't see the level of the bias. Yes, I have been there and have seen the nauseous TV coverage of some tennis events. I had to watch it with the volume down and did my own commentary.

Whether people like it or not ESPN caters to a general market and they think the average person isn't going to give a shit about non-Americans. Since when does one commentators show an example of Federer love, reflect that they don't have an inherient bias that TV coverage shows showing of American players at the expense of others involved in a much better match.

Even where I am now, it's not that bad as the crap ESPN feeds, though as I said previously I am lucky I don't have to put up with it.

As was said by other posters it was Hewitt-Nadal and not Safin-Hewitt.

Leo
03-11-2004, 12:41 AM
And yes that's what I meant about ESPN. with no Williams sisters and no Capriati or Seles, Davenport is the only lady for them to show

Cha! :banana:

Yes, but that is due, in part, to the fact that ESPN only airs the Americans so those are the only players the American tennis public will know about! If ESPN started showing more top foreign tennis players deserving of air time, and not some half-decent Americans floating around #35, than the American public would learn more about those foreign guys, might become interested in them b/c of their game, personality, looks, etc., and would want to see them play in real life. It's not only ESPN's fault; little has been done by American media in general to promote foreign male tennis players.

Leo
03-11-2004, 01:07 AM
That depends if Ancic serves well and the courts are usually quick, if Coria starts whining, there are the ingridients for an upset.

The Sarge will take out Super Mario. :D

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 01:15 AM
The Sarge pisses me off why you ask? He beats players that I want to win, then he loses to the people you want him to beat.

The exception is when he plays The Poo he usually takes him out of the tournament.

Havok
03-11-2004, 01:23 AM
why can't people just block shit out and just watch a match :retard: i thought all men are capable of doing this? that's what i do all the time, but i only listen to Carillo because she makes me laugh :D

Deboogle!.
03-11-2004, 04:06 AM
Cha! :banana:

lol! Yay!

Yes, but that is due, in part, to the fact that ESPN only airs the Americans so those are the only players the American tennis public will know about! If ESPN started showing more top foreign tennis players deserving of air time, and not some half-decent Americans floating around #35, than the American public would learn more about those foreign guys, might become interested in them b/c of their game, personality, looks, etc., and would want to see them play in real life. It's not only ESPN's fault; little has been done by American media in general to promote foreign male tennis players.

Well this is what I was questioning really, just throwing it out there as a rhetorical. What came first, the chicken or the egg? What causes what? The unpopularity of non-Americans or ESPN's lack of coverage of non-Americans? We could go in circles trying to discuss it and never come to a concrete and totally for sure answer. That's all I'm saying - that it's *possible* that ESPN is just responding to what's already there, and not causing it. And you can't really honestly expect ESPN to take a chance and try to be this altruistic body that wants to be worldly and expose its viewers to international players. Corporate america doesn't take that kind of risks, sadly enough.

tangerine_dream
03-11-2004, 04:25 AM
You wouldn't think that because you are a Roddick and Agassi fan and as an American, you wouldn't see the level of the bias.

Aah, but on the flip side, you being the Roddick/Agassi hater would dwell on and resent them even if they were only mentioned once. That one time would be enough to set you off. "Goddammit, why can't these people SHUT UP about Agassi already!!" Selective hearing comes into play here. They said the name only once, but in your anti-Agassi mind, you heard it one too many times. :lol:

As was said by other posters it was Hewitt-Nadal and not Safin-Hewitt.

Well, someone knocked out the Safin-Hewitt match from programming that I was dying to see. Must've been an old Roddick match from 2002 that they showed again. ;)

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by Tangerinus
Aah, but on the flip side, you being the Roddick/Agassi hater would dwell on and resent them even if they were only mentioned once. That one time would be enough to set you off. "Goddammit, why can't these people SHUT UP about Agassi already!!" Selective hearing comes into play here. They said the name only once, but in your anti-Agassi mind, you heard it one too many times. :lol

Well well once again that's incorrect as I don't let my dislikes cloud my judgements on issues and yes I give reasons for why I come to particular concluisions. Where does the issue of resentment come into this? Facts are the American media and TV networks are not interested in showing or non-Americans to their TV audience or other target audience, they will only show these players either as a filler or just because they happened to be involved in the finals matches. To the American media tennis isn't an interesting sport if there isn't an American player dominating.

Agassi isn't going to be around forever, so the sentimental bullshit and waxing lyrical about his outstanding career is going to be continued further until he retires, and Roddick with coming through then they will continue the trend. As I said there are more than two players who are playing on the circuit and there should be a conscious effort to improve the narrow and parochial coverage.

You are one for talking about selective hearing/memory, would you like for me to give you some examples of this? Nah, that has been done before. Then again considering I hate Agassi so much according to you, you would have missed the occasions when I have commented objectively about his career and given him due respect which he has received everywhere because of his achievements, but that would spoil it for you.

tangerine_dream
03-11-2004, 05:06 AM
Well well once again that's incorrect as I don't let my dislikes cloud my judgements on issues and yes I give reasons for why I come to particular concluisions. Where does the issue of resentment come into this? Facts are the American media and TV networks are not interested in showing or non-Americans to their TV audience or other target audience, they will only show these players either as a filler or just because they happened to be involved in the finals matches. To the American media tennis isn't an interesting sport if there isn't an American player dominating.

Agassi isn't going to be around forever, so the sentimental bullshit and waxing lyrical about his outstanding career is going to be continued further until he retires, and Roddick with coming through then they will continue the trend. As I said.....
http://www.bsforums.com/images/smilies/blahblah.gif http://www.bsforums.com/images/smilies/blahblah.gif http://www.bsforums.com/images/smilies/blahblah.gif http://www.bsforums.com/images/smilies/blahblah.gif http://www.bsforums.com/images/smilies/blahblah.gif http://www.bsforums.com/images/smilies/blahblah.gif http://www.bsforums.com/images/smilies/blahblah.gif http://www.bsforums.com/images/smilies/blahblah.gif .

http://www.bsforums.com/images/smilies/squint.gif

*Pause*

Yes, I agree. ESPN shouldn't put all their eggs in one basket and should focus some attention on the other players, who are just as attractive, interesting, and play just as well as the Americans. Agassi won't be around much longer and Roddick can't carry the burden all by himself.

You are one for talking about selective hearing/memory, would you like for me to give you some examples of this? Nah, that has been done before. Then again considering I hate Agassi so much according to you, you would have missed the occasions when I have commented objectively about his career and given him due respect which he has received everywhere because of his achievements, but that would spoil it for you.

Do my lol and wink smilies not translate here? :banghead:
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s22/smilies-39454.png

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 05:26 AM
Well what I can say to that above post tangerinus. Oh! I know stop trying to agree with me tangerinus it doesn't suit you at all and it spoils my excitement everytime I read one of your posts. I mean it's always a highlight of my experience on MTF to see what I can learn from your sage comments about the tennis world.

Also I don't speak or write English at all, I have a translator who writes and types everything for me because I am an illiterate individual. As for your attempts at humour and whether it's an irony free zone. Well I have to say your attempts at humour are not as funny or as enjoyable as dental root canal surgery without the anaesthetic and splurting out blood from the mouth where the tooth has been extracted, in other words no the translations don't work.

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 05:29 AM
Back to the topic I am looking forward to the Gaudio vs Escude match. I don't hold up great hopes for Gaudio at the moment, he isn't playing that well and Escude who has been injured is likely to blow him away easily.

Gaudio can get some good results on hardcourts, but he can never win two matches in a row on the surface. Hopefully it will be a good match as I like them both.

Woohoo, I have made 2,000 posts and it seems I have followed the Kafelnikov path of playing as many tournaments as I can :clap2: :dance:

Deboogle!.
03-11-2004, 05:53 AM
LMFAO Tangy

Dirk
03-11-2004, 05:57 AM
Hey no cheap shots on Kaffy. If he was healthy and on tour he could kick both Gaudio's and Escude's asses.

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Actually Gaudio had the better of Kafelnikov and the only reasons he won that DC match was because Gaudio choked and because of a horrible overrule on Gaudio's match point.

The comment was in reference to how fast I got to 2000 posts, just like Kafelnikov playing 40 tournaments a year.

I am trying to keep this on topic I wonder if the Karlovic/Pavel match will be a 7-6, 6-7, 7-6 score or a 7-6, 7-6 scoreine?

Dirk
03-11-2004, 06:12 AM
No Gaudio was cramping like a woman. :haha: Kaffy turned him into a woman :rolls:

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 06:14 AM
Try sticking to the topic Dirk. I will discuss that other topic on another forum.

Dirk
03-11-2004, 06:17 AM
The umpire liked Kaffy. :devil:

Dirk
03-11-2004, 06:23 AM
Oh yeah this is about Wells and I know how much you really care about this event? :lol: This isn't the Andy forum we can chat slightly off the topic here. :D

Deboogle!.
03-11-2004, 06:25 AM
:rolleyes:

Dirk
03-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Bunk your not Star so its ok. ;) George and I are safe. You didn't start this thread did you?

Deboogle!.
03-11-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm not star, but star is my friend. No I didn't start this thread, but that doesn't mean your comment didn't go unappreciated.

But hey that draw looks great, feels like a slam almost....yeah.

Dirk
03-11-2004, 06:47 AM
I'm just joking. I like Star and your pretty cool too. I think its only Andylover that I don't like over there.

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 06:54 AM
It doesn't feel like a Slam at all bunk.

J. Corwin
03-11-2004, 06:58 AM
It isn't taboo to occasionally stray off topic.

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 07:01 AM
Not all jackson it's just some people get too pissed off when it happens.

WyveN
03-11-2004, 08:32 AM
yes nothing like a slam.
stakes are so much lower, I mean even if someone goes, there is virtually a repeat the week after.

bring on RG!

sigmagirl91
03-11-2004, 12:58 PM

Once again, you are in denial.
If ESPN had the choice to show anything with Hewitt, et. al. on TV, vs. showing Roddick, Agassi, or any other American, they would choose the American every single time. And Pat Mac and Mary Carillo do not control coverage of tennis; they only commentate, so your second statement has no bearing on this argument.

Deboogle!.
03-11-2004, 03:07 PM
It doesn't feel like a Slam at all bunk.

So now you tell me how to feel? Ok.

With all the great early matchups and the tough draw, it feels like a slam to me. So sue me.

WyveN
03-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Perhaps GWH is telling you that he doesn't feel like it is a slam, what is the problem with that?

Deboogle!.
03-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Well then it doesn't to him, but I don't need to be demeaned for thinking it does (in terms of the draw only).

Lee
03-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Well then it doesn't to him, but I don't need to be demeaned for thinking it does (in terms of the draw only).

Cool bunk! I don't think GWH intends to demean you or whatever. I know you two don't like each other but don't take everything he said so seriously.

Peace! ;)

Deboogle!.
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Cool bunk! I don't think GWH intends to demean you or whatever. I know you two don't like each other but don't take everything he said so seriously.

Peace! ;)

I know, but I can't help it, Lee. Even starting with his name, that offends me, and just the way he says things feel like personal insults. It's not like I try to let things bother me lol

alfonsojose
03-11-2004, 07:28 PM
How fast are the courts are IW? They seemed really slow last year. Are they slower than Miami?

Deboogle!.
03-11-2004, 08:03 PM
I thought Miami was supposed to be slower, but I'm not sure.

naiwen
03-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Aah, but on the flip side, you being the Roddick/Agassi hater would dwell on and resent them even if they were only mentioned once. That one time would be enough to set you off. "Goddammit, why can't these people SHUT UP about Agassi already!!" Selective hearing comes into play here. They said the name only once, but in your anti-Agassi mind, you heard it one too many times. :lol:

Go check ESPN.com. I could only see Roddick as headlines even when it was raining for several days in AZ. They put Federer's news only after Roddick's loss, but Spadea's pictures were posted soon till NOW.

Deboogle!.
03-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Go check ESPN.com. I could only see Roddick as headlines even when it was raining for several days in AZ. They put Federer's news only after Roddick's loss, but Spadea's pictures were posted soon till NOW.

And your point is?

No one is denying that ESPN gives way too much attention to Andy, Andre, the Williams Sisters and to a slightly lesser extent, the Americans overall. But first of all we've clearly established that the focus on Americans is understandable given that ESPN is an American station catering to an American audience in a country completely saturated with many other more popular sports. OK this is all pretty factual and I find it relatively hard to argue with.

I find the more interesting discussion in WHY this is the case. Is it that ESPN research has discovered that their ratings go down sharply when they DO show relatively unknown international players, OR was this ESPN's choice and THEY have created the culture of people only caring about American players. I don't know, it's a chicken or the egg problem. but I find it the much more interesting discussion, since we're all pretty much in agreement that ESPN does suck, it seems like the better question is not THAT it occurs but WHY.

TennisLurker
03-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Indian wells and Miami are slow hardcourts.

J. Corwin
03-12-2004, 12:10 AM
IW is faster than Miami. Miami is about as slow as it gets before rebound ace-esque speed of AO.

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2004, 12:22 AM

With all the great early matchups and the tough draw, it feels like a slam to me. So sue me.
It feels like a Masters Series, not a slam.

Just thought that I would contribute that.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 12:31 AM
IW is faster than Miami. Miami is about as slow as it gets before rebound ace-esque speed of AO.

So IW is faster than Miami and Miami is faster than AO/Rebound Ace?

J. Corwin
03-12-2004, 12:36 AM
So IW is faster than Miami and Miami is faster than AO/Rebound Ace?

yes :)

J. Corwin
03-12-2004, 12:37 AM
And it's the "perfect speed" for Andre. No wonder he does so well at AO and Miami. Not too slow, not too fast.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Ok thanks Jace :kiss:

And hehe yep that makes sense!

Action Jackson
03-12-2004, 01:21 AM

Ok, what the hell bought this overreaction on now then? If I was insulting you I would do it directly.

Two, to me it doesn't feel like a Slam at all and you think it does, difference of opinion no more, no less. The draw isn't that tough and 96 in the draw isn't necessarily a good thing, it should only be 64 and if that was case it would feel maybe a bit like a Slam. It's a TMS and that's all it will ever be, just like those morons who think Miami is the 5th Slam, it's not or ever really could be.

Indian Wells is much faster than Miami and yes Rebound Ace is different from anything that they have in the US.

Fee
03-12-2004, 02:23 AM
Juan Carlos Ferrero has withdrawn from IW due to chickenpox.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 02:26 AM
um..... what?!!?!? Chicken pox???? he's 23 and hasn't gotten a vaccine???

holy shit, he could be really sick for a while.

J. Corwin
03-12-2004, 02:28 AM
whoa...

Royally sucks ass

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 02:30 AM
no kidding... poor guy, he hasn't had a very healthy year so far.

and wow... if he'd pulled out before the draw was made, it'd probably look quite different.

J. Corwin
03-12-2004, 02:31 AM
I wonder who's the Lucky Loser.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 02:35 AM
I just read it...

"Jeff Salzenstein will replace Ferrero in the men's draw which has been boosted this year to 96 players from 64.

Salzenstein will play wildcard Alex Bogomolov, of the US, in the first round."

tangerine_dream
03-12-2004, 02:49 AM
Juan Carlos Ferrero has withdrawn from IW due to chickenpox.

What!?

Oh no, poor Juanqui :sad:

Pink Panther
03-12-2004, 02:50 AM
:lol: I just couldn't help laughing when I read it...I mean, at this age. <deep sigh> But poor him, how untimely. :(

Fee
03-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Darn, was hoping Robert or Zack would get that lucky loser slot. Well, good luck to Jeff, or Alex B. either one.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 02:54 AM
:lol: I just couldn't help laughing when I read it...I mean, at this age.

I know... that's why I'm so shocked he didn't have the vaccine!!

but if he doesn't get really sick or have to be hospitalized, he'll be really lucky. at this age, it can be really really bad!!

RogiFan88
03-12-2004, 02:55 AM
:sad: I can't believe this!!! Of all the players... poor Juanqui!! He better take care of himself... do you think he's passed it on to anyone else?!! :devil:

tangerine_dream
03-12-2004, 03:00 AM
I know... that's why I'm so shocked he didn't have the vaccine!!

:lol: Getting chicken pox in your 20s ... that sounds as weird as getting tuberculosis or scarlet fever. :tape:

rassklovn
03-12-2004, 03:05 AM
Tangerinus, Hewitt got chickenpox as well two years ago, at least it wasn't the bubonic plague.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 03:07 AM
Tangerinus, Hewitt got chickenpox as well two years ago, at least it wasn't the bubonic plague.

but getting it at this age can be very dangerous and you can be sick for quite a while. It's a lot more serious at 20 or 23 than 3 or 5 When I was 18 and getting ready to go to college my doctor said she would strongly advise against me going to school without getting the vaccine. Boy am I glad I did!!

Pink Panther
03-12-2004, 03:09 AM
The sad thing is he's won't be playing Miami either I think. How long does it usually take for adults to recover? Anyone know?

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 03:10 AM
I think it really depends. With something like chicken pox depending on how badly you get it, he might be fine in a few days or a month. The fact that he's in great shape and otherwise healthy should certainly help...

Pink Panther
03-12-2004, 03:11 AM
Bunk, I prefer your old avatar. ;) He looked happier.

J. Corwin
03-12-2004, 03:11 AM
I had to get 3 Hepatitis B shots before entering the University of California system. It was a requirement and I know it was for a very important reason.

Shy
03-12-2004, 03:12 AM
The sad thing is he's won't be playing Miami either I think. How long does it usually take for adults to recover? Anyone know?
Usually, a week or two.

Pink Panther
03-12-2004, 03:16 AM
...The fact that he's in great shape and otherwise healthy should certainly help...

*fingers crossed* Got some important clay tourneys coming up. ;)

And jackson, here in the UK, we're required to get the meningitis vaccine before going to college.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 03:16 AM
Bunk, I prefer your old avatar. ;) He looked happier.

lol sorry... he's actually cracking a joke in this one. I just like the look on his face, it makes me :lol:

I just found this on a site. Maybe Juan Carlos can take it and get better fast:

"A much better case for treatment of chicken pox can be made for adults. There is a "cure" for chicken pox in the form of the drug acyclovir. The drug kills the virus, one of the very few drugs in use that actually kills any virus. It works and it is a very safe drug. It can shorten the period of illness of chicken pox from 7 down to 5 days, and reduce the number of skin lesions. More importantly it can prevent the severe complications which sometime occur in adults. Acyclovir is expensive. Clear instructions for its use need to be given by the prescriber for it to be effective, and these must be strictly followed."

And Jace, I had to have that as well. Not sure if it's a law in Massachusetts but again, my doctor said I'd be pretty stupid if I didn't, so obviously I did lol

Lee
03-12-2004, 03:26 AM
"A much better case for treatment of chicken pox can be made for adults. There is a "cure" for chicken pox in the form of the drug acyclovir. The drug kills the virus, one of the very few drugs in use that actually kills any virus. It works and it is a very safe drug. It can shorten the period of illness of chicken pox from 7 down to 5 days, and reduce the number of skin lesions. More importantly it can prevent the severe complications which sometime occur in adults. Acyclovir is expensive. Clear instructions for its use need to be given by the prescriber for it to be effective, and these must be strictly followed."

I am not 100% sure but with treatment, the body may not develop full immunization to chicken pox, that means, he may be infected again.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 03:28 AM
I am not 100% sure but with treatment, the body may not develop full immunization to chicken pox, that means, he may be infected again.

:shrug: I dunno, all I know is in that paragraph I posted lol.

And maybe not but if the medicine is allowed under the drug rules and if it would help him be rested enough to play Miami, he could at least get the vaccine after that to make sure!

tangerine_dream
03-12-2004, 03:50 AM

LOL. Yeah, but it's still weird.

Fee
03-12-2004, 04:03 AM
For more on chickenpox, visit www.healthcentral.com. The worst thing about this is that he was contagious before he knew for sure he had it, so it is very possible that he infected someone else, but he would have had to get really close to that person. When I was in high school we had a chickenpox run at our school. At lot of people got it because it was during December and there was a lot of hugging going on for the holidays and such. I hope that JCF will be able to recover quickly with the help of whatever drugs the stupid ATP will let him take.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 04:05 AM
Well hopefully most of the other players he might've been in contact with already had the pox and won't get it again. I mean *most* people get it when they're little and now, a lot of people get the vaccine

Is Juan Carlos an only child (yes I have a reason for asking)

Action Jackson
03-12-2004, 04:08 AM
The only positive thing about this is that Gaudio is automatically in the second round and has to play the winner of Ferreira and Andreev.

No, bunk Ferrero is not an only child.

Fee
03-12-2004, 04:12 AM
GWH - Michelle says hi, having a ball, etc...

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 04:16 AM
No, bunk Ferrero is not an only child.

Ok thanks. I was wondering b/c most only children I know didn't get the chicken pox. We all had the vaccine. So it was just curiosity

Action Jackson
03-12-2004, 04:28 AM
Thanks for that Fee and I am glad that someone is having a ball.

Bunk, Ferrero has two sisters and one of them likes the hair peroxide more than Juanqui himself.

MisterQ
03-12-2004, 04:29 AM
I had chicken pox when I had a cast on my arm. That sucked.

Lee
03-12-2004, 04:30 AM
I had chicken pox when I had a cast on my arm. That sucked.

You should be forever grateful that you didn't get scar for your life :p

Deboogle!.
03-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Bunk, Ferrero has two sisters and one of them likes the hair peroxide more than Juanqui himself.

haha..... umm good to know lol

J. Corwin
03-12-2004, 07:30 AM
there will always be greater peroxide users/lovers