Guga walks out on Brasil DC Team [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Guga walks out on Brasil DC Team

TheBoiledEgg
03-09-2004, 05:23 PM
http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/L0/S57/E6234/sport_Lng0_Spo57_Evt6234_Sto558685.shtml

Guga quits Brazil

Upset over the sudden change in captain, Gustavo Kuerten on Tuesday announced that he would forego Brazil's upcoming Davis Cup tie against Paraguay. In a statement, the former world number one added that the current administration at the Brazilian federation (CBT) "is doing little to develop tennis and help players."

"I have the Davis [Cup] in my blood and I'm sad not to play this time," Kuerten added pointing that he's played for his country in every fixture since 1996, barring one in 2002 when he was injured.

Guga expressed his displeasure over the sudden replacement at the end of February of Davis Cup captain Ricardo Acioly by Jaime Oncins:

"We consider that the timing is totally unappropriate," he had said at the time adding that he wished that the players had been consulted.

Kuerten, who issued his statement before flying to California to take part in the Indian Wells Masters, also pointed that Brazilian players weren't being consulted regarding home venues for the Davis Cup.

Brazil face Paraguay April 9-11in an American Zone fixture in Costa do Sauipe in the Bahia region of the northeast of the country.

Lee
03-09-2004, 05:45 PM
I post this in Guga's Forum but yes, it worths to discuss in GM.

Guga has been upset with CBT for many years (as you can see how many top 50 players from Brasil compare with Argentina) and this sudden change of DC captain is the last straw.

He had openly criticised CBT (which was quite out of character for Guga) at the beginning of Brasil Open 2004 and looked like CBT has done nothing to placate or communicate the country's greatest tennis player. The good thing I read from the news is he said he would not play next DC tie but did not say never.

CooCooCachoo
03-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Hmm. This is not a good thing. In fact, with Kuerten, Brazil has quite a strong team. Now, they are not worthy of the highest division at all. What makes me wonder, is whether Gustavo would have supported Jaime Oncins, a respected former player, if the replacement had been discussed, or whether he would do everything to prevent Oncins from being the team captain.

Lee
03-09-2004, 05:55 PM
I believe Guga will support Oncins. He played doubles with Jaime in DC ties before.

Lee
03-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Also, there's the rumor that the country's #2 and #3 players, Saretta (rank 46) and Mello (132) may boycott the coming DC tie too.

sigmagirl91
03-09-2004, 06:35 PM
I agree with all that was said. If the players had a say in this, then no problem. Since they didn't....problem....

Lee
03-09-2004, 06:48 PM
The change of captain was not exactly sudden. When the team play DC last September vs Canada, the team had a meeting with current president of CBT. Unfortunately, the suggestions by tennis players and Ricardo Acioly were not welcome by the president Nelson Nastas. Nastas insisted he considered Acioly not doing a good job as captain before the tie but I think players believe the firing is a retailiation and warning.

amethyst
03-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Guga had a good relationsship with Oncins (they played doubles together for a very long time and he always names him as one of his idols) so I guess he would have supported Oncins as team captain if he had been asked in advance. But I really wonder what their relationsship is now after all this fuss.

Lee
03-09-2004, 06:56 PM
I really feel sorry for Jaime Oncins, he is caught at the crossfire between players and Nelson Nastas.

Santorofan
03-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Yes, clearly there are additional details on this matter that the general public is not privy to, as Guga is generally not one to make moutains out of mole hills. Hopefully Guga and the other players can successfully pressure the institution to reform its methods of operation.

Leo
03-10-2004, 12:18 AM
:eek:

Play for your nation, Guga, and forget about the Brazilian tennis federation!

Billabong
03-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys!
Hhhhmmm now the Brazil team definitely lost its key player...

Lee
03-10-2004, 03:58 PM
It is confirmed Brasil's #2 player, Flavio Saretta will not play in the upcoming DC tie vs Paraguay.

Santorofan
03-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Neither will Andre Sa...the Brazilan Tennis Federation is now further in chaos as it's new appointed captain Oncins has stepped down in response.

Perhaps something good will resinate from all of this???

Leo
03-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Wow, what madness! :eek: Oncins must feel like crap, the poor guy. :(

armaniman
03-11-2004, 12:44 AM
No Guga in Brazil D.C team? thats like a car with no steering wheel !

Billabong
03-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Without Guga, Saretta and Sŕ, what will be the Brazilian team????

Action Jackson
03-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Mello, Marcio Carlsson and I wonder if they will have to bring out Meligieni from retirement.

The Brazil tennis Federation seem to have their head up their own arses, then again that is similar to the football federation, so maybe it's a good thing that Guga, Saretta, Sa walked out and I can understand Oncins resigning as well.

tennischick
03-11-2004, 02:18 AM
wow. no guessing who the most powerful guy in Brazilian tennis happens to be! :eek:

Denise
03-11-2004, 02:56 AM
I don't believe Guga will going to "back" with his decision. :sad: And forgive the president of the CBT (Brazilian Federation of Tennis). To be honest i'm not surprised at all with that whole mass with the DC team. Guga is not satisfied for ages and he seemed quite upset in the interviews on TV. We don't know exactly what's happenin' and nobory can jugde Guga, Saretta, Sa... and well, it's pretty sad that's going on but the players are fed up with the "politics" inside... and some man from the federation said: "Yeah, we changed the coach of DC but they can do anything. We can change the things the way we want. We don't need to check out their opinions(of the players)". :eek: :eek:

C'MON!!!!!!!! They're not happy with the burocratic side of CBT!! Everyone must have a serious conversation and reconsider their points.

Lee
03-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Paraguay has a walkover?

It's time for an overhaul for the CBT.

luckystar
03-11-2004, 05:04 PM
I don't know the new captain, but I do know that they kinda lost the best player they have in the team. We'll see how far they can get

Lee
03-19-2004, 04:37 AM
http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040317/3/2ib8.html

Brazilian tennis chief tries to avert Davis Cup boycott

Wed 17 Mar, 9:10 PM

SAO PAULO (AFP) - Brazilian tennis chief Nelson Nastas tried to diffuse threats of a Davis Cup boycott by announcing that he will stand down as president of the country's tennis federation.

Tennis in Brazil has been in crisis for a week after triple French Open champion and former world number one Gustavo Kuerten said he would boycott the Davis Cup clash with Paraguay next month in protest at not being consulted over the appointment of Jaime Oncins as captain in place of Ricardo Acioly.

The trouble worsened when fellow team members Flavio Saretta and Andre Sa also refused to take part in the Americana zone Group One tie scheduled for April 9-11 at Bahia.

Seven days ago, Oncins quit after less than a month in charge because of the furore and now Nastas has given in to the pressure by revealing that he will not stand in Brazilian Tennis Confederation (CBT) elections on May 15.

Nastas announced new elections and gave the players the opportunity to choose the coaching staff for the Davis Cup second round tie.

"I hope now the players will reconsider their intention to boycott the Davis Cup," he said.

The CBT has also been hit by allegations of financial irregularities with Brazilian police opening an investigation into the claims.