Johansson likely to miss U.S. Open -- newspaper [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Johansson likely to miss U.S. Open -- newspaper

TheBoiledEgg
08-13-2002, 03:20 PM
STOCKHOLM (Reuters) -- Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson is likely to miss this month's U.S. Open with a shoulder injury, the Swedish daily Expressen reported Tuesday.

"I have giant problems with the shoulder," Johansson told the newspaper.

"I will have to rest for 10 to 14 days, after that a new magnetic scan will be done. I'll know then if I'll have to undergo surgery."

The U.S. Open -- the final grand slam of the year -- begins in New York in 13 days' time.

Johansson became a hero at home when he ended Sweden's decade-long barren streak at majors earlier this year.

The nation had dominated tennis through Bjorn Borg in the 1970s and Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg in the '80s and '90s but had not triumphed in a major since Edbergs's victory over Pete Sampras in the 1992 U.S. Open.

Johansson put the Swede's back on the map, however, with a surprise victory over Russia's Marat Safin in Melbourne in January.

His form since then, though, has been patchy and despite that grand slam triumph the 27-year-old is ranked just 12th in the world.

tennischick
08-13-2002, 03:25 PM
it takes a lot to win a Slam...i hope he takes the time to recover properly. this is too bad but it explains why his results have been so patchy since Oz.

Nacho
08-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Pffff, he really needed the points coming from the Open in order to qualify for the Master :(

Gambill_Rules
08-13-2002, 03:34 PM
Its sad to hear.

U.S. AIR FORCE
08-13-2002, 04:43 PM
:sad:

Scotso
08-13-2002, 07:08 PM
Thomas :sad:

Layla
08-13-2002, 07:14 PM
That's dreadful. Poor Thomas. :sad:

Chloe le Bopper
08-13-2002, 08:52 PM
This is too bad :( He's such a nice player :(

:rolleyes: at me, I thought it said "Juanqui" and nearly had a heartattack :rolleyes:

Still a shame though - I hope he gets well soon - more realistically however, I hope he rests and comes out firing next season.

TennisHack
08-14-2002, 12:18 AM
Oh, this is terrible news. :( I really enjoyed Thomas's run at the Aussie Open this year and it's been sad to know he's only gone downhill from there and now he might have to have surgery. :sad:

I hope he does recover well enough to try to defend his title.

Dissident
08-14-2002, 12:52 AM
Oh, I didnt see this thread and I just posted something about his shoulder on the other one. oops :o

Anyway, this sucks. He is indeed a wonderful player. That run at the Aussie, like TH said, was great!
It explains a big deal why he is struggling so big time. His game is a lot dependable of his serve. It gives him a lot of confidence. :sad:

tennischick
08-17-2002, 02:11 PM
update on Johansson...

JOHANSSON'S INJURY DOUBT

Australian Open champion THOMAS JOHANSSON is struggling with a right shoulder injury that may cause him to miss the US Open. After his first round loss to Taylor Dent at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati, the Swede was examined by the Swedish Davis Cup doctor Per Renstrom. "At first I thought I'd need surgery immediately," Johansson told Swedish newspaper Expressen on Monday. "But Per told me to rest for 10 to 14 days and then I'll go through another MRI. By that time I'll find out if I'll need surgery or not. Now it looks like I'll miss US Open in New York as well. It will be a bonus if I can play there, but I'm not counting on it." The problem started in Toronto after Johansson felt a pain in his shoulder while practicing with his coach.

the atp insider

Sophie
08-17-2002, 09:25 PM
Don't the four GS champions automatically qualify for the Masters cup?

Dissident
08-18-2002, 04:33 AM
No, Shopie. Any Slam Winner among the top 8 gets in. ONE of the Slam winners ranked on the 9-20 rage gets a wildcard to play it. Thats why Thomas situation is not good at all for that. :sad:

Nimi
08-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Well isnt the story is like Goran's?
Anyways, his serve is him biggest wepon, & you need a healthy shoulder to serve well, so he should withdraw from the US Open.