Do you think we'll have a 4 or 5 sets final in FO this year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you think we'll have a 4 or 5 sets final in FO this year?

Billabong
03-09-2004, 02:17 AM
In the last 5 GS finals, all matches were in 3 sets! Do you think the next French Open will end that streak?? I hope so:)!

Frooty_Bazooty
03-09-2004, 07:08 AM
i hope so, the last FO final sucked ass

oxy
03-09-2004, 07:09 AM
i hope so with 2 best players who isn't too tired out by earlier matches.

CmonAussie
03-09-2004, 09:26 AM
We haven't had a 5-set Slam since Ivanisavic & Rafter classic in 01 Wimbledon..!!

CmonAussie
03-09-2004, 09:30 AM
(@_@)Naturally I want to see Hewitt beat Federer in 5-set Rolland Garros Final~~ that may raise a few eyebrows, but I reckon Rocky Llegs has a history of doing the unexpected!!!

Chloe le Bopper
03-09-2004, 09:33 AM
I suppose that Ferrero will just have to lose before the finals it we want that to happen, since his style in slam finals seems to be "win easily or lose pathetically" ;)

CmonAussie
03-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Hello Rebecca long time no talk^^
*Ofcourse I hold Ferrero in high regard; I mean his accomplishments speak for themselves but I think you'd agree he does have a history of choking in big finals...
Certainly he's never pathetic even in defeat but I guess some players handle pressure better than others.
eg. 02 RG, 02 TMC, 03 USO,.. also he failed to play his best when he had a chance to finish No.1;~ I mean the way he lost his 3-matches in Houston was quite sad(;_:).
Anyway Ferrero may prove me wrong but I think he should consider seeing a sports psychologist wouldn't you agree??

Chloe le Bopper
03-09-2004, 09:57 AM
I don't think that Ferrero's problems are just mental. Me thinks - I'm stealing this from TC - that he has some conditioning issues too. How often has he played great just to flame out at the end.. or a tournament or a match? Blah.

It doesn't really bother me anymore. I've sort of come to expect it from him.

I don't hold the USO '03 against him, though. Considering what he was up against, it's incredible he got as far as he did. That, and don't even start me on how he should have been playing Nalbandian in the finals :p

CmonAussie
03-09-2004, 10:05 AM
#..Well the conditioning issue with Ferrero may be true but that's also got something to do with his mental decisions; often I think his scheduling is ridiculous because he gets worn out before the big tournaments.
-->> Also he struggles to win some matches you'd expect him to win easily(eg. Rotterdam)& then he complains about being tired in the Final; well he should of finished off his opponents in the early rounds more quickly~ then he can keep the stamina going for the more important ones.
### About 03 USO Final;>> ofcourse if Ferrero had been playing Nalbandian in the final then the result may have been different but Roddick had to play a 5-setter & his match was after Ferrero's win over Agassi, so Roddick had less time to recover & more exhausted after the longer match...!
It's always unfair in New York because the American's don't comprehend "fair play" but there's really no reason for Ferrero to lose in straight sets to Roddick, who would've been feeling a lot of pressure as well*#*.

Domino
03-09-2004, 10:10 AM
I cannot wait for GWE to see this. CmonAussie, now you want Hewitt to beat Federer final in RG. Your statements are bordering on rediculous. You are discounting Ferrero at RG, where he has never made the semis, yet Hewitt has never made it past the fourth round. I highly doubt we'll see Hewitt in the final against Federer this year, but to beat him, and in five sets is laughable. I can only see such I final happening if it is Coria v Ferrero or Federer v Ferrero.

CmonAussie
03-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Domino mate I'm not discounting Ferrero at RG~~ ofcourse he's one of the favourites but I have good reason to think he's a choker too..
# Why is it so laughable that we may see Hewitt beating Federer in a 5-set Final at RG???
*** Hewitt leads their head-to-head 7:3
>> Hewitt has wins over Federer even on Grass~ where most people would assume Fedex has the advantage.
## Federer hasn't won a 5-set match since 2001 & Hewitt beat Federer 6-months ago in a 5-setter!!!

Ridiculous NO, slightly optimistic YES.

Chloe le Bopper
03-09-2004, 10:27 AM
but I have good reason to think he's a choker too..

That's dandy. I don't entirely disagree that he's a bit of a plonker. BUT... Roland Garros is a whole different ballpark for Ferrero. He's only ever lost to the champ, and has made the semis 4 years running. One year or another he will stop making semis, but I don't think he really has much of a history there in terms of choking. Yes, his final against Costa was awful. But he's won more tight matches there than he has lost. He's won a couple that he likely shouldn't have (Gonzo 03, Gaudio 02)

Chloe le Bopper
03-09-2004, 10:29 AM
He's also had a couple of very weird one sided matches at RG against players that I wouldn't expect him to completely squash... Safin '02 and Hewitt '01, for example.

Domino
03-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Hewitt lost in a hometown match on his own best surface, hardcourt, to Federer. The past does not matter when Federer is a much different player now, and has won on the slowest surface, Hamburg, while Hewitt has not made a dent on clay.

WyveN
03-09-2004, 10:58 AM
by reading this thread I think Cmonaussie's logic is that Hewitt and Federer will be in the RG final as Ferrero wont make it because he is a choker in finals

excuse me while i go scratch my head

Dirk
03-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Yeah JC is sure a choker. :rolleyes: Man all chokers aspire to make the semis at least every time at RG. Don't even get me started on Hewitt playing Roger in the final. Roger actually could make it there. Hewitt doesn't have the legit leg to stand on when it comes to clay tennis. Hewitt's "run forest run" tennis has never stood out. Its something that every clay courter can pretty much do. Hewitt should be thankful Guga got his hip injury when he did. So turn off the rocky music and give it a rest......Hewitt will never win RG. Wimbly yes and Open yes, but I don't see him winning the first two slams of the year.

WyveN
03-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Domino mate I'm not discounting Ferrero at RG~~ ofcourse he's one of the favourites but I have good reason to think he's a choker too..
# Why is it so laughable that we may see Hewitt beating Federer in a 5-set Final at RG???
*** Hewitt leads their head-to-head 7:3
>> Hewitt has wins over Federer even on Grass~ where most people would assume Fedex has the advantage.
## Federer hasn't won a 5-set match since 2001 & Hewitt beat Federer 6-months ago in a 5-setter!!!

Ridiculous NO, slightly optimistic YES.

hopeful YES

realistic NO

CmonAussie
03-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Look Fedex is quickly becoming the favourite for every tournament he enters~ they said for a long time that he's got the potential to win al-4 Slams & he's doing a good job in the last few >> half-way to the career Slam already.
* However Hewitt had endured the worst part of his slump & many other distractions last year~>> legal battle with ATP, lost coach before Wimbledon, following Clijsters choking fortunes in slams ...etc.
~~Lleyton's maturing & I'm sure he realises there's no reason why he can't win at the French. I've argued the case before but I think most posters here have no idea about his potential to play well on Clay.
Anyway I said I'd like to see Hewitt beat Federer in the final of RG because that would be good for tennis. #When people buck the trend of what people expect to see (eg. Ivanisavic at Wimbledon or Agassi finally winning RG in 99)^ then it's good for the sport.
*#* Ferrero has an excellent chance of winning RG again & I wouldn't be at all surprised if he atleast made it to the Final again, but if it came down to him & Hewitt then I'm backing my guy again.
~~~Fedex has the most potential to dominate & he's good for the game overall; Mosquito fights well but has a history of choking; Rocky Llegs is a freaky fighter who doen't play pretty but he has a good idea what it takes to win the crucial matches!!

As for Roddick, well he'll always do well at USO & probably got a good shot at AO too...

Dirk
03-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Hewitt slides out of his shot not into them on clay. That is his biggest problem with movement among other things on clay. Too many clay courters who are just much better than him on that surface. He will always struggle there. He can only win if the top 15 claycourter just happened to be sick and miss RG.

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 02:00 PM
I'd take a good close final in ANY mandatory tournament, for crying out loud. When's the last time there was a good final in a TMS OR a GS? TMS Cincy last year was good and exciting but other than that I can't really think of one in most recent memory. I hope something comes along and breaks the streak though. It's no fun watching a whole tournament unfold and missing many of the great matches due to ESPN's stupidity and then the final is a snooze-a-thon lol

CmonAussie
03-09-2004, 02:20 PM
bunk mate(:>
* The last relatively significant Final that was 5-sets was actually 02 TMC~~ where Hewitt & Ferrero had a classic battle>> eventually Lleyton prevailed 7-5,7-5,2-6,2-6,6-4... but Ferrero was up a break twice in the final set & led 3-1! Ofcourse I was happy with that result(@_@)

Cincy final with Roddick & Fish was pretty good but only best of 3-sets takes away some of the drama. Also Fish was clearly the underdog^ having never won a tournament at that stage & Roddick was on an amazing roll which eventually netted him the USO & No.1 ultimately.

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Yea I know some of the TMS are only 3 sets, my point was that even most of those seem to have been blowouts TOO lol

Thanks for the research on the last 5-set final though :)

Leo
03-10-2004, 12:30 AM
In the last 5 GS finals, all matches were in 3 sets! Do you think the next French Open will end that streak?? I hope so:)!

The finals of the 2003 Slams, Masters Series, and Masters Cup were all straight set affairs, with Cincinnati being the one exception (Roddick d. Fish 4-6, 7-6, 7-6). So far, that trend has unfortunately continued this year with the Aussie Open final, but I doubt it will last come clay season.

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 01:22 AM
The finals of the 2003 Slams, Masters Series, and Masters Cup were all straight set affairs, with Cincinnati being the one exception (Roddick d. Fish 4-6, 7-6, 7-6). So far, that trend has unfortunately continued this year with the Aussie Open final, but I doubt it will last come clay season.

Wow ok so I wasn't making things up. That's really sad, I wonder why it is that the finals tend to be so one-sided. I hope you are right that this trend ends soon!!

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 02:34 AM
CmonAussie, well well your delusional statements about Hewitt and Federer playing in the RG final. The only thing I could actually comment is that you are living in an absolute fantasy land. As I proved your arguments were rubbish before, I don't need to go through them again.

As for a 5 set final, yes it would be great and I don't give a shit who plays in it except if it was Hewitt or Fish vs Roddick.

No, I must be the delusional one if any of those three are making an RG final.