OLYMPICS [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

OLYMPICS

Devotee
03-08-2004, 07:13 AM
The ATP tournament calendar lists the Athens Olympics tennis event as
taking place on hard court.
I've been hearing for a long time that it was to be on clay.

Domino
03-08-2004, 07:23 AM
Exactly what do you want to discuss? The court, who is going to win? Becuase either way, like the Wimbledon Thread, this is getting a bit ahead of everything.

Chloe le Bopper
03-08-2004, 07:45 AM
I think that he's confused about the surface, judging from his post.

Originally it was slated to be on clay, but some people bitched that they would have no chan... I mean, that it was too close to the USO.

Domino
03-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Why not have it on clay? It would make it more open since there would be more people who could win it.

I would also like to take the time to point out that professionals shouldn't be playing in the Olympics. The Olympics are supposed to be for Amateurs, so why don't they restrict the tennis players to only the juniors. This helps them get the exposure they need, and the professionals don't need the Olympics because they have the slams which mean more to them. I would love to see the future tennis stars competing in the Olympics, rather than watch one top 10 player bash through a relatively weak field.

Chloe le Bopper
03-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Here is my problem with the "Olympics are for amateurs" argument.

"Amateurs" these days, are athletes who train all year long. The better ones are able to subsidize their expenses through sponserships, and national federations.

What exactly is "amateur" about that? Some of those people are making more money than I ever will.

Things might not be quite so peachy for all amateur athletes, but that is the story of many.

Chloe le Bopper
03-08-2004, 07:54 AM
And it was on clay... but apparently there was an outcry over that, because as i said, some poeple would have no chan... I mean, it's right before the USO :)

tall_one
03-08-2004, 10:31 AM
It is on Hardcourt (Decoturf - outdoors)

http://www2.itftennis.com/olympics/html/2004index.html

maratski
03-08-2004, 02:39 PM
It's an honour to represent your country in the world's biggest sporting event. If players want to do so, let them. I find your argument of letting juniors play it rather pathetic. I fail to see the point, but perhaps that just me.

Devotee
03-08-2004, 08:49 PM
And it was on clay... but apparently there was an outcry over that, because as i said, some poeple would have no chan... I mean, it's right before the USO :)

Well, then I hope it's an extremely slow DecoTurf court, in order to
give all players at least a chance to win a medal, even if their favorite
surface is clay.

Chloe le Bopper
03-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Oh, I'm sure somebody will pay somebody to speed it the Hell up, if possible :p

Lee
03-08-2004, 10:55 PM
For me, I think it makes more sense to play on hard court. It's not easy for players to play 2 to 3 months on hard court, then play Olympics on clay and then back to hard court for USO and whatever hard court tournaments afterward.

J. Corwin
03-08-2004, 11:39 PM
For me, I think it makes more sense to play on hard court. It's not easy for players to play 2 to 3 months on hard court, then play Olympics on clay and then back to hard court for USO and whatever hard court tournaments afterward.

Interesting point.

Now if they made tennis a winter Olympics sport as well...they could make that one indoor carpet or something (or indoor clay I suppose).

Billabong
03-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the info:)!

Shy
03-09-2004, 04:28 AM
Interesting point.

Now if they made tennis a winter Olympics sport as well...they could make that one indoor carpet or something (or indoor clay I suppose).Now,they would made then play tennis on skates.

Lee
03-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Now,they would made then play tennis on skates.

You want everyone crush the net :eek: ;)