Applying Lead Tape [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Applying Lead Tape

lordmanji
12-12-2006, 02:06 AM
I have a head liquid metal prestige. there used to be specs on tennis warehouse where i got it but theyre not selling it anymore so took it off. anyway, i put lead tape wrapping it around the frame and through the string on the edge - i wonder if thats the right way? - at the 1 and 11 o clock positions. i put it there cuz it felt like i needed more weight at the head to produce racket head speed. can anyone tell me if im doing it right?

lordmanji
12-12-2006, 10:30 PM
this is why i dont like posting in any other area than general messages. sigh perhaps ill just stick to posting equipment related issues over at tenniswarehouse.

anyway, ive found out the answer to my question regarding how to apply lead tape. you cut your lead tape up no shorter than 3inches and longer than 6 inches. you then put layer over layer on the inside of the frame. so if you put six inches at the 12 o clock position, then youd then 3 inch mark would be right at the 12 o clock position.

Hairy Balls
12-21-2006, 03:02 AM
just joined today.

Yes that is about right. In addition you the tape on top if you want head heavy and at 4-8 if you want al little head light. You can also put lead on the shaft or grip area if you want the head even lighter. I have done some research a long time ago on the physics of tennis. I vaguely remember that you want the head of your racquet about 3x heavier than the ball. That way, you get a more effecient transfer of energy-->power, if that is your thing. It usually works out that the racquet should be around 12oz. Any less or more would decrease that efficiency. The old bell curve phenomenon.

tennisplayer89
01-21-2007, 06:11 PM
In my opinion a good place to add a few inches of lead tape is at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. It gives the racket more stability when hitting shots that do not quite hit the sweet spot. Keeps the racket face from twisting up or down as easily. However, I think some of the liquidmetals already have extra weight built in to this position in the head.

dannysspieler85
02-05-2007, 09:16 AM
in my opinion, if u have to put lead tape on ur racket, u simply got the wrong one. :D