IW: The House That Chang Built... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW: The House That Chang Built...

Tennis Fool
03-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Another notch for the Michael Chang HOF Cheering Team...
Chang is a 3-time winner of this event (92, 96, 97), more than anyone else in its 17-year history of the event.

Those that were 2-time winners, were also back-to-back winners...*
Boris Becker 87-88
Pete Sampras 94-95
Lleyton Hewitt 02-03

*The lone exception, Jim Courier, who won in 91 and 93.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2004, 01:23 PM
always interesting factoids, TF :)

Leo
03-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Chang doesn't deserve HOF honors, IMO.

MisterQ
03-09-2004, 02:41 AM
Chang doesn't deserve HOF honors, IMO.

I agree, Leo. (Although if just a few things had gone differently in his career, he might be HOF material).

MisterQ
03-09-2004, 02:41 AM
but that is an impressive Indian Wells record, no doubt about it... :)

Tennis Fool
03-09-2004, 03:47 AM
Bunk: Thanks.

Leo, Q: Why doesn't he?

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 05:00 AM
um.... *embarrassed* what's "HOF honors"??

MisterQ
03-09-2004, 05:23 AM
bunk, HOF = Hall O' Fame ;)

Tennis Fool, with regards to the HOF, Chang only won 1 slam and never got to No. 1 in the world. Now of course he was very close to No. 1, and in the finals of several other slams, which is what I meant when I said he came close. But it seems that Hall of Famers usually have at least 3 slams under their belt. I think some players with 2 slams could also be candidates --- for example I think Rafter and Kafelnikov will probably be considered. But 1 slammers are unlikely.

I don't mean any disrespect to Chang's remarkable career with these comments. I'm just stating what I think will be true --- that the HOF will probably not vote him in. But of course, it's up to them, so maybe they will, who knows...
:)

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks SuperQ :hug:

Yonge
03-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Wow, I just saw this:

Back to back wins in Indian Wells and Miami in the same year.

Agassi in 2001
Rios 1998
Sampras 1994
Chang 1992
Courier 1991

It's like playing a slam! I wonder how they did in their next tournament after Miami (which I think is on clay).

EDIT: ooops...my mistake. The schedule might have been different back then (the Miami event was in Key Biscayne). But I'm sure Agassi has done it in 2001.

Tennis Fool
03-10-2004, 10:29 PM
bunk, HOF = Hall O' Fame ;)

Tennis Fool, with regards to the HOF, Chang only won 1 slam and never got to No. 1 in the world. Now of course he was very close to No. 1, and in the finals of several other slams, which is what I meant when I said he came close. But it seems that Hall of Famers usually have at least 3 slams under their belt. I think some players with 2 slams could also be candidates --- for example I think Rafter and Kafelnikov will probably be considered. But 1 slammers are unlikely.

I don't mean any disrespect to Chang's remarkable career with these comments. I'm just stating what I think will be true --- that the HOF will probably not vote him in. But of course, it's up to them, so maybe they will, who knows...
:)

Well, if the HOF can honor Bud Collins over his illustrious tennis career, I think they can find a slot for Chang.

Tennis Fool
03-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Wow, I just saw this:

Back to back wins in Indian Wells and Miami in the same year.

Agassi in 2001
Rios 1998
Sampras 1994
Chang 1992
Courier 1991

And he's in that illustrious list with future HOF's all (maybe even Rios).

Leo
03-11-2004, 01:18 AM
And he's in that illustrious list with future HOF's all (maybe even Rios).

No, Rios would never. Yes, he was once #1 and won several Masters Series events, but you honestly need to have 1 Slam in singles, dubs, or mixed to even have a slight chance of being inducted.

Mister Q pretty much summed up my opinions of the Chang matter. IMO, 1 Slam doesn't cut it.

Experimentee
03-11-2004, 12:59 PM
But it is not like Chang was a player who only won one Slam and didnt do anything else after that. He had a consistent career where he maintained the #2 ranking and won a whole bunch of other big titles. The only player who stopped him from getting to #1 was Sampras. I think maintaining #2 for that long is better than getting to #1 for only 1 or 2 weeks, like Rafter did.

Yonge
03-17-2004, 11:05 PM
I agree Experimentee. I think Chang actually has a chance of being inducted into the HOF even though he never got to No. 1. I know he only has 1 slam, but is having multiple slams a requirement for getting inducted? I'm not sure about that. Maybe they should consider his other achievements, such as winning 34 titles - 1 slam, 7 MS - spanning 3 decades (80s, 90s, and 00s), youngest slam winner, being a role model/ inspiration to Asian (or others) athletes and helping to promote tennis in that region, which isn't really tennis-crazy, etc. It sounds like an HOF-worthy career to me.