Getting to know MARAT SAFIN : THE BIOFILE [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Getting to know MARAT SAFIN : THE BIOFILE

Kiara
03-07-2004, 08:44 PM
BIOFILE: MARAT SAFIN
by: Scoop Malinowski

BORN: Jan. 27, 1980, in Moscow, Russia.
STATUS: The 2000 U.S. Open champ and world No. 1 ranked player.
CHILDHOOD HEROES: "Sampras, Kafelnikov and Medvedev...good players and nice people. It's important to be a nice person...not to be a great player who thinks he's like unbelievably great. I like a nice person."
PREMATCH FEELING: "I like to talk with people. Makes me loose. Not close my eyes and think about match. I prefer to spend that time with people...other players, my coach. Not to be very concentrated. You're already nervous before the match."
FAVORITE MOVIES: "The Godfather, Ronin, Torrente, Dumb & Dumber."
MUSICAL TASTES: "Metallica, Halloween, Enigma, Dream - the most hard, dance music [smiles]. Scooter, Mike Olfield."
EARLY TENNIS MEMORY: "My first tournament I played in Moscow, I was 7. And I make two rounds. So my first tournament I won two matches. Small tournament but very important for me."
GREATEST SPORTS MOMENT: "Winning the U.S. Open, a huge tournament (in three sets over Sampras). Also, I have the greatest memories from Roland Garros ('98). Beat two players from the top of tennis (Agassi and Kuerten, both in five sets). And in the beginning of the year I had no money to pay for the travel. Agassi - I'd lost to him one match before in Davis Cup. So that was very important because I wanted to win. To beat Agassi is very nice always. Whether he plays good or bad, just to beat Agassi any time is very nice."
TOUGHEST OPPONENTS: "Thomas Johansson. Difficult for me to play him. He plays fast, serves well, tough to return. Always play difficult matches with him. Players who serve and volley...Sampras, Rafter, Rusedski, Henman even Woodforde before he retired. Hard for me to play against them when they serve very well and make the volley all the time. Everybody is hard but they're the most hard."
FIRST CAR: '90 red VW Golf.
FAVORITE BREAKFAST CEREAL: "I prefer an omelette and pancakes."
FAVORITE ATHLETES TO WATCH: "Soccer clubs - Valencia of Spanish league, Inter Milan of Italian league, Spartak Moscow from my country. Ronaldo. Shaq. Mike Tyson - nice. Anna Kournikova. Jana Kandarr, the German - she is more like a model. Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders. I like hockey - but it's too dangerous. Baseball - I don't understand [laughs]."
PEOPLE MOST ADMIRED: "I don't like the people who think they're very important. I like people who are very friendly and just nice people. Not somebody who thinks they are the best of the best, just a nice person."

Shadow
03-07-2004, 09:01 PM
thanks a lot Kiara! that was great :) (i love what he says about just beeing a nice person:) )

when was it written?

Kiara
03-07-2004, 09:09 PM
your welcome Andy, erm I think it was done sometime ago but updated recently, Im not too sure.
yeah I like it too, except anyone who mentions Dumb and Dumber in the same sentence as The Godfather and Ronin should be.......:tape:

Shadow
03-07-2004, 09:13 PM

some things he said i already read somewhere in 2000 so i thought it would be from then.

Jessi
03-07-2004, 09:32 PM
thanks for that Kiara :kiss:

hey, whats wrong with Dumb and Dumber? Its no cinematic masterpiece but its still one damnfrickinhilarious movie. Jim Carey is a genius! :worship:

Jessi
03-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I beg to differ with Marat. I'd say his toughest opponent is himself.. he is his own worst enemy that boy.

Shadow
03-07-2004, 09:35 PM
I beg to differ with Marat. I'd say his toughest opponent is himself.. he is his own worst enemy that boy.

thats so true

but you know how he is with other players;)

Kiara
03-07-2004, 09:36 PM
if you say so :p
still better than Ferrero's pick which was "Titanic" lol!

Jessi
03-07-2004, 09:38 PM
:lol: Ferrero has some of the worst taste... i read his favorite musical artist is Mariah Carey :tape:

maratski
03-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Ferrero is adorable and just not as mature/diplomatic/intelligent/whateveryouliketocall it ;)

Cris
03-07-2004, 09:43 PM
That's great! :cool: Thanks Kiara! :kiss:

Ferrero's taste :o

Kiara
03-07-2004, 09:45 PM
The Mariah :tape: Carey, Titanic scene was a while ago, hopefully he's evolved since then ;)

Kiara
03-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Ferrero is adorable and just not as mature/diplomatic/intelligent/whateveryouliketocall it ;)
he probably is, in Spanish ;)

and I agree Ilhame, he's adorable :)

maratski
03-07-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm sure he's great in spanish ;)

I was checking a JC site the other day and noticed that he kisses OFTEN in public. This surprised me cause he's so shy.

Jessi
03-07-2004, 09:57 PM
:topic:

Kiara
03-07-2004, 09:58 PM
:topic:

*ahem* who died and made you the Forum Monitor? ;) thats my Job :p

Shadow
03-07-2004, 09:58 PM
dont turn Marats thread into Ferrero talk :angel:

Kiara
03-07-2004, 10:00 PM
*sigh* Fine, Ilhame, lets take this somewhere else....Ferrero isn't appreciated around here *glares*

;)

Shadow
03-07-2004, 10:02 PM
yeah he is not very special :angel:

Jessi
03-07-2004, 10:03 PM
*ahem* who died and made you the Forum Monitor? ;) thats my Job :p

and not doing a very good one :p you're too soft :p

Kiara
03-07-2004, 10:05 PM
and not doing a very good one :p you're too soft :p

:fiery:

Aurora
03-08-2004, 12:30 PM
your welcome Andy, erm I think it was done sometime ago but updated recently, Im not too sure.
yeah I like it too, except anyone who mentions Dumb and Dumber in the same sentence as The Godfather and Ronin should be.......:tape:

Agreed, and his musical taste needs some working too. Although I have to admit seeing Enigma has arroused my eeehm... thoughts.