Annoying Forehand Trouble [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Annoying Forehand Trouble

lordmanji
12-08-2006, 11:01 PM
i absolutely LOATHE my forehand most days. especially today i was shanking so many balls low into the net. granted i didnt have any time to rally cause the other guy didnt want to and im trying out a new finish, but still. i have a semiwestern grip and the running forehand low balls are murder. its so exasperating knowing that i picked up a twohanded backhand pretty quick but its been two years and my forehand is still dysfunctional. funny thing is it used to be my best shot!

adee-gee
12-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Hard to say what you're doing wrong without seeing you.

Get someone to feed you balls and just hit lots of forehands, practice makes perfect ;)

sodman12
12-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Are the balls going into the net or long. im guess into the net. might wanna try switching to continential grip and just scooping back the forehands when your on the run instead of going for a full blown forehand.

lordmanji
12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Are the balls going into the net or long. im guess into the net. might wanna try switching to continential grip and just scooping back the forehands when your on the run instead of going for a full blown forehand.

yeah, low balls for that grip are murder. plus i havent perfected hitting low balls even when not on the run so...

on a semi-related note, ive been having alot of balls in matchplay land short. some will go deep but alot will go short. i realized yesterday after rallying very well - hitting deep - then losing two round robin matches 3-6 and 4-6 is that for some reason i hold back on hitting my shots. i just remember what a couple of coaches have told me which is "don't hit hard but be consistent." which i think is kind of a joke because hitting hard is almost the same thing as taking a full swing. especially with this semi western grip that relies on racket speed. and then you have to swing faster and througher the ball more so in a match cuz your opponents are hitting harder.

Osama B Hitler
12-11-2006, 08:37 PM
i absolutely LOATHE my forehand most days. especially today i was shanking so many balls low into the net. granted i didnt have any time to rally cause the other guy didnt want to and im trying out a new finish, but still. i have a semiwestern grip and the running forehand low balls are murder. its so exasperating knowing that i picked up a twohanded backhand pretty quick but its been two years and my forehand is still dysfunctional. funny thing is it used to be my best shot!

If I had to guess I'd say you're probably hitting the forehand with too much of a bent elbow. And also maybe rolling the wrist over too much. Gotta elongate the shot with you full hitting arm.

Try this the next time you're on court: hit 10 forhands with an open stance and then hit 10 with the conventional closed stance (stepping into it with your front foot). If you hit the ball better with the open stance, it confirms what I suspect in the above paragraph.

lordmanji
12-12-2006, 06:48 AM
hey osama, yes there are times i hit with too much a bent elbow. i still do it from time to time but its largely corrected. honestly i think im not taking a long and fast enough swing thats necessary for my grip (semiwest) and racket, the lm prestige (swing style of L6). i know i hold back during matches more for some reason - fear of kicking opponents ass? - so im gonna make it a point to just try to swing faster during matches next time. i will keep you all posted.

SwissMister1
12-12-2006, 01:47 PM
The racquet you are using now is meant for a player with a fuller, faster swing than what you use. If you aren't yet at the point where you can swing like that well you may want to use a racquet more suited to a slightly shorter slower swing. Although you do want to keep working on getting a fuller faster swing. Also, in colder weather (don't know if this is a problem for you) you lose power off the racquet this may be affecting things.

lordmanji
12-12-2006, 06:02 PM
The racquet you are using now is meant for a player with a fuller, faster swing than what you use. If you aren't yet at the point where you can swing like that well you may want to use a racquet more suited to a slightly shorter slower swing. Although you do want to keep working on getting a fuller faster swing. Also, in colder weather (don't know if this is a problem for you) you lose power off the racquet this may be affecting things.

yes youre right. i am not the best of players maybe like a 3.0. but during rallies i can manage quite well since i take a fuller and faster swing but during matches that kinda goes...
ah yes, i remember when i played at the top of the hill with my usta league team. that was one chilly and ugly night :cool:

+alonso
12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
I tend to loop my FH! :lol: it looks soo weak :p

My 2handed BH is great though :p

lordmanji
12-12-2006, 11:21 PM
I tend to loop my FH! :lol: it looks soo weak :p

My 2handed BH is great though :p

thats cause youre from chile :)

i had that looping problem a little while ago. i was doing two things: swinging from too low up in relation to the ball and had a too wristy action. i still have some wrist pronation but its more natural. i have a two hander as well and it is a much flatter shot as well. if im hitting my forehand well, though, it has much more pace than my backhand.

lordmanji
12-14-2006, 01:46 AM
i cant believe it but i played four sets today. lost em all 3-6 and 4-6,4-6,4-6. still, id have to say even with a few mishits on the forehand towards the end, i was really driving through and going for my forehands. only problem was i didnt really concentrate on my kick serve too much so i messed up and gave him a lot of balls that bounced right where he liked it. progress....

lordmanji
12-20-2006, 11:27 PM
played three more sets today. lost them all, 5-7 (let 4-1 at one point), 4-6, and then the final and ugliest set over, 0-6. forehand was average and progressively got worse culminating in the final set where many balls would either go way long or bounce on the court before reaching the net. some of it was definitely due to fatigue, but that is no excuse for such a massive breakdown. must be the technique. tomorrow will go out and hit many forehands, specifically focusing on bending my knees.

on a more positive note, most of kick serves went in. still need to add more pace but the technique is getting more solid. must also bend knees more on serve.

GlennMirnyi
12-21-2006, 02:44 AM
Man, some tips should be: bent more your knees to get the low balls, try hitting the ball earlier, and make a fuller swing.

My forehand is semiwestern too. If you're hitting the balls to the fence, try getting a racket that provides you more control.

lordmanji
12-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Man, some tips should be: bent more your knees to get the low balls, try hitting the ball earlier, and make a fuller swing.

My forehand is semiwestern too. If you're hitting the balls to the fence, try getting a racket that provides you more control.

i added lead tape recently to the head, 32 inches of gamma at 11 and 1 position. i like the power and stability and will try to correct my technique to cover for less control. im prob being arrogant but if fed can string at 48 lbs and a host of others play with lead at their head(although i dont know how much though it is less than how much ive applied) then i figure i can get used to it too.