Espn is showing the Franklin Final with Spadea... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Espn is showing the Franklin Final with Spadea...

henree
03-07-2004, 05:19 PM
So if anyone is interested tune in. I almost missed it myself, I didn't expect Espn to be showing any tennis until Indian Wells...

MisterQ
03-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey thanks, henree! did not know that. :)

There's table tennis on right now on ESPN2.

MisterQ
03-07-2004, 05:27 PM
The Table Tennis is in a fifth set! lol

tangerine_dream
03-07-2004, 05:33 PM
How funny would it be if ESPN decided to scrap the Spadea-Kiefer final and show the Roddick-Spadea match from last night instead? :devil:

If they did that I'd be :haha: :haha: :haha:

croat123
03-07-2004, 05:42 PM
they wouldn't show spadea-roddick cause roddick lost. they'd probably show gambill-roddick and pretend it's the final ("live") :o

faboozadoo15
03-07-2004, 06:27 PM
they wouldn't show spadea-roddick cause roddick lost. they'd probably show gambill-roddick and pretend it's the final ("live") :o
LOL

anyway, hopefully this is a good match! so they will start showing other events, thats what i always hope for

J. Corwin
03-07-2004, 10:17 PM
They showed this tournament last year too, although it wasn't live. They also covered the women's event here (before it got scrapped of course).

Deboogle!.
03-07-2004, 10:24 PM
ESPN didn't have rights to any match before the final, I don't think.

Anyway.... I taped it b/c I was in the air during the match, but Spadea and Kiefer were by far the most boring and least inspiring players I saw all week so I did not watch the tape lol.

Congrats to Vince though, he played very well in the matches I saw of his and deserved to win.

MisterQ
03-07-2004, 10:28 PM
The match-up was great, though, bunk. I didn't expect much from it either, but it was very entertaining. I recommend it.

Deboogle!.
03-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Well that's good. If I didn't have 9272097620946 things to do I'd watch it but I'm exhausted from flying and have a LOT to do lol. Plus...I just saw them both live and in person and I was just really unimpressed lol

MisterQ
03-07-2004, 10:31 PM
alrighty then...

Lee
03-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Well that's good. If I didn't have 9272097620946 things to do I'd watch it but I'm exhausted from flying and have a LOT to do lol. Plus...I just saw them both live and in person and I was just really unimpressed lol

Just keep the tape and try to get back to it later. It's a very hard fought match.

Scotso
03-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Vince :D

tennischick
03-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Spud...:)

Deboogle!.
03-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Just keep the tape and try to get back to it later. It's a very hard fought match.

hehe ok. I'll do that.

Plus, this was all a new experience for me. I think I'm a little tennis-ed out at the moment lol. Plus jet-lagged and just overall exhausted haha.

Leo
03-08-2004, 02:38 AM
Oh, that's understandable. Make sure to tell us everything about your experience, though. We wanna know. :D

I also recommend watching the match. It was very dramatic and featured some amazing points. Great stuff.

Action Jackson
03-08-2004, 03:02 AM
I saw the match and I would agree with the above it's definitely worth watching,

Congrats on Spudea for coming back after choking his chance to serve it out in the 2nd set.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2004, 03:13 AM
Oh, that's understandable. Make sure to tell us everything about your experience, though. We wanna know. :D

I wrote a whole report. It's for our Andy site, though, so is understandably geared towards that audience but I talked about lots of other things too and all the matches I saw (which because of the rain ended up being quite a few!). I wrote it yesterday at the pool and today on the plane so I have to find the time to type it up and it's long lol. Oh and I was really sad the Bryans did not play, since they had in years past :sad:

Real quickly....

highlights (people who I either had no opinion of before I saw them and liked, or not the best opinion of and liked better, or have an even better opinion of than I did previously):
~Malisse, Soderling (Malisse v. Soderling was a beautiful match, was a shame the stadium was practically empty), Hanescu (didn't have time to watch enough of his match unfortunately but I liked what I saw), Ginepri, Blake, Roddick (yes, sorry haters, I like him even more now), Gambill (their QF was by far the highest-quality tennis I saw), Bogomolov (I think the kid shows a lot of promise)

lowlights (people who I either had no opinion of before and didn't really like once I saw them):
~Arthurs, Kiefer.

people I still have the same nonexistent opinion of:
~Moodie (sort of blah but nice game), Dent (well, he pulled out lol), Spadea (he played great all week but personality-wise does NOTHING for me), Verkerk...

I wrote more in the tourney forum when I checked in from Scottsdale from the library, if you're really that interested :)

all in all I quite enjoyed my first tennis experience. I was spoiled rotten by the Soderling/Malisse match as my first live match ever, and I got some really great pictures to remember it all by. But I'm a little overwhelmed by it all still lol

TennisLurker
03-08-2004, 03:55 AM
And Kiefer is... an idiot...

"To win a title, to beat Andy and James along the way, and looking comfortable to close it out, then having to dig as deep as I've ever had to dig and to finish it off is wonderful," Spadea said. "I have to look in a thesaurus for a better word to say."

Kiefer was playing in his second final in three weeks, but was denied his seventh career crown. Runner-up in Memphis two weeks ago, he has won seven career crowns, but none since Hong Kong in 2000, before a string of injuries hampered his success

"If someone would have told me that I would have been in the two finals, I would have taken it straight away," said Kiefer, who converted just 2-of-9 break points. "I'm disappointed because I had so many chances to win and I didn't.

"I lost it today, he didn't win it. I felt he was tired and didn't feel so good but I didn't take enough chances against him."

Asked whether he gave credit to Spadea, Kiefer responded, "Of course, victory is victory."

Spadea had a diplomatic response to Kiefer's less than gracious comments.

"I just think anyone who tries to find chinks in a recent champion's armor is self professing your feelings and possibly your character," he said.

--------------

It is 2 am here, I am about to watch the taped match.

I am happy cuz Vince defeated the "I am number 4 in the world, I can pee in public" fake german Agassi.

lsy
03-08-2004, 04:19 AM
I'm pleasantly surprise to watch some exciting tennis in this tournament for the past 2 days. I saw Spadea match vs Andy and all I could think of is this guy is tough. He was persistent and patient even when he's down a set and a break in 2nd set. Andy broke him twice in the 2nd set but was also immediately broken back. No doubt Andy serves was failing him in the 2nd set but all credits to Spadea, he was running Andy from side to side at the baseline and forcing him into defensive position in most of their rallies.

oh, and the way he likes to charge in and bang winenrs out of Andy's 2nd serves was quite amazing. I think he really took advantage of Andy deficiency in net too, drawing Andy to net and played some really crappy volleys. This guy has some fantantics backhand too.

I'm definitely going to watch the reply of this final. I know nuts about Spadea but am glad he pulled off his first title.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2004, 05:20 AM
It's so funny to hear how horribly Andy played in the SF. He served, returned, passed, and volleyed so well in the QF. It's what makes tennis so interesting, how one night can be one thing and the next night almost the opposite. You sort of have to wonder what the hell happened (or at least, I do lol)

Oh and Spadea returned well all week, it was quite impressive. He absolutely trounced Arthurs, esp. his second serve and he ran James around and threw him off a lot too. I was really impressed by his game in both matches I was at, just not by him as a person at all lol.

lsy
03-08-2004, 05:44 AM
I don't know if it was Andy just playing horribly for no reason or if Spadea had forced him out of his game, didn't watch the QF, so can't comment.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2004, 01:31 PM
oh I'm sure it's a combination of both. but during the QF, Gambill pushed him really hard and he stepped up and started playing great, so I don't think that explains all the change in just one night. especially considering he was up a set and almost 2 breaks.

We should combine my knowledge of the QF and yours of the SF and figure it out ;)

alfonsojose
03-08-2004, 01:59 PM
The key was Andy serve. Andy relies a lot on it. It wasn't working against Spadea, who did take his chances returning.

KarstenBraasch#1
03-08-2004, 02:09 PM
And Kiefer is... an idiot...

--------------

I am happy cuz Vince defeated the "I am number 4 in the world, I can pee in public" fake german Agassi.

:haha:

Couldn't agree more. :worship: :yeah:

alfonsojose
03-08-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't know if he's and idiot, but definitely he's very rude :). Go Spadea !

Deboogle!.
03-08-2004, 03:15 PM
yea he was even very rude to the ball kids, during his QF match against Robby anyway...

Yonge
03-10-2004, 04:25 AM
UGH! Can't believe I missed this thread earlier. Anyway I HAVE to congratulate Vince for finally winning a title since I ridiculed him about being title-less in the past. :worship:

Next I'm hoping for F.Lo to hoist a trophy.