in-match reporting in general messages [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

in-match reporting in general messages

lordmanji
12-07-2006, 12:52 AM
i think we should have in-match reporting. it could add excitement to the forum and provide a valuable service to those who cant watch the match or would like a play by play summary from a forumer's perspective. reading post match threads are boring since all they ever say is "good job" "i knew it" etc.
it should be in general messages because thats where most of us hang out. so then itd be like listening to the radio when reading a thread. i hope you seriously consider it.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2006, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting? :confused:

Lee
12-07-2006, 03:35 AM
Aren't live scores threads already covered this? :confused:

adee-gee
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
i think we should have in-match reporting. it could add excitement to the forum and provide a valuable service to those who cant watch the match or would like a play by play summary from a forumer's perspective. reading post match threads are boring since all they ever say is "good job" "i knew it" etc.
it should be in general messages because thats where most of us hang out. so then itd be like listening to the radio when reading a thread. i hope you seriously consider it.
I can see the point.

I most certainly agree with the bit I've bolded. In GM, a results thread is extremely boring unless something colntroversial has happened.

The most constructive discussion during a match used to be in GM when those threads were allowed. It's very hard to discuss it in the live scores thread as usually there is about 10 posts a minute, many of which are 15-0, 30-0 etc, or people swearing and cursing. It's hard to have a proper discussion. I think it's a fair point.

Action Jackson
12-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I can see the point.

I most certainly agree with the bit I've bolded. In GM, a results thread is extremely boring unless something colntroversial has happened.

The most constructive discussion during a match used to be in GM when those threads were allowed. It's very hard to discuss it in the live scores thread as usually there is about 10 posts a minute, many of which are 15-0, 30-0 etc, or people swearing and cursing. It's hard to have a proper discussion. I think it's a fair point.

Cry me a river about that and they shouldn't be allowed.

It defeats the purpose of having tournament forums then doesn't it.

shotgun
12-07-2006, 12:32 PM

The problem with allowing those in GM is that everyone will "migrate" to GM during the match and leave the tournament forum (which actually serves this purpose) empty.

In-match reporting can be found in the live score threads, if you just manage to dodge the gamblers cursing, you'll get a good perception of what's going on in the match. Some kind posters even provide a point-by-point live score.

As for the post-match threads in GM, I know it's full of posts saying "good job", "well done", etc., but there are always posters, albeit in a smaller number, who write a small summary of the match. It's just a matter of skimming through the thread and you'll find them.

Lee
12-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Live score threads used to be like that. Updates on the matches in progress and whoever watching the match, makes comments about the players and the matches. And I enjoyed them very much until some posters only interested in their bets and post all kinds of abuse toward players who they bet on and was losing.

adee-gee
12-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Live score threads used to be like that. Updates on the matches in progress and whoever watching the match, makes comments about the players and the matches. And I enjoyed them very much until some posters only interested in their bets and post all kinds of abuse toward players who they bet on and was losing.

Ban the gamblers :rocker2: (and the Croatians :rocker2: )

Deboogle!.
12-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Live score threads used to be like that. Updates on the matches in progress and whoever watching the match, makes comments about the players and the matches. And I enjoyed them very much until some posters only interested in their bets and post all kinds of abuse toward players who they bet on and was losing.I agree. And the few times where I've had coverage and done point-by-point, people just bitch and whine and want even more. Makes you not want to bother.

And the whole phenomenon of posting every match result in GM is a relatively recent one. I don't know how or when it started, but it didn't happen much when I first started posting here, only really important results were posted in GM. :shrug:

lordmanji
12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
yes, so lets bring live score to the gm! at this other web site i go to, they allow it and it does create a spectacular sense of community - nothing like the ups and downs of reading someones play by play reporting.

Lee
12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
yes, so lets bring live score to the gm! at this other web site i go to, they allow it and it does create a spectacular sense of community - nothing like the ups and downs of reading someones play by play reporting.

It doesn't matter which forum the threads are in. If you bring live score to GM, it's still the same. With bad gamblers (no pun for our supermod here ;) ) polluting the threads. It actually will mess up GM with all live scores thread there from various tournaments. You will have live scores from 2-3-4 ATP tournaments and have you check the live scores thread in challenger lately?

If live score threads from ATP tournaments are allowed in GM, then we have to allow live scores threads from challengers too, right? Soon, you won't be able to find the topic you like to discuss on GM as they are buried under all those live score threads.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm with Lee. We have the current tournament forum system, each day of a tournament has its own thread with live scoring and commentary and everyone is free to go to those threads and participate. GM is a mess as it is and I think this would make it even moreso. Sometimes there are three tournaments going on at once :eek:

adee-gee
12-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Fascists :ras: :p

scarecrows
12-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Ban the gamblers :rocker2: (and the Croatians :rocker2: )

unban tt boy :awww:

JMG
12-07-2006, 11:10 PM

tt boy never did that and still got banned. :shrug:

lordmanji
12-07-2006, 11:10 PM
It doesn't matter which forum the threads are in. If you bring live score to GM, it's still the same. With bad gamblers (no pun for our supermod here ;) ) polluting the threads. It actually will mess up GM with all live scores thread there from various tournaments. You will have live scores from 2-3-4 ATP tournaments and have you check the live scores thread in challenger lately?

If live score threads from ATP tournaments are allowed in GM, then we have to allow live scores threads from challengers too, right? Soon, you won't be able to find the topic you like to discuss on GM as they are buried under all those live score threads.

who cares about challengers? the average tennis fan doesnt and neither does the average poster. just allow the atp events in and im sure the regular posters will outnumber the gamblers by 10 to 1. let the few suffer and the many enjoy :angel:

Lee
12-08-2006, 12:50 AM
who cares about challengers? the average tennis fan doesnt and neither does the average poster.

That's not the point. If there are live score threads in GM, then it doesn't matter it's challenger or ATP tournaments. And the result is there can be 8-9 live score threads at the same time.

just allow the atp events in and im sure the regular posters will outnumber the gamblers by 10 to 1. let the few suffer and the many enjoy :angel:

It's not that long ago that there are live scores thread in GM and sorry, I didn't see anything good coming from there.

And I don't see the point of a thread in GM instead of in the tournament forum. If a poster really wants to do what you suggest, how difficult it's to get into the tournament forum?

And I can tell you right now. If we allow live score threads in GM, it will be the other way round, more posters will suffer and few may enjoy.

Lee
12-08-2006, 12:54 AM
unban tt boy :awww:

tt boy never did that and still got banned. :shrug:

If there are any questions about this poster's banning, please PM any supermods or Steve here instead of raising this in an unrelated thread. :shrug:

Lee
12-08-2006, 12:55 AM
That's the end for me about this topic. I have said all I wanted and needed to say here. :wavey:

12-08-2006, 06:23 AM
That's the end for me about this topic. I have said all I wanted and needed to say here. :wavey:
I agree with you Lee. The scoring threads belong in the Tournament section.

Carlita
12-08-2006, 10:43 AM
hmmm bad idea...... if we keep the in match reporting to the tournament forums it's much easier to find the match / tournament you're looking for. Like Lee said, 7 or 8 livescore threads in GM will get messy.

jazz_girl
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
It used to be a chaos when live-score threads were allowed in GM and I remember having lots of reported posts a day because of wrong scores and things like that. All it did was to create problems and a lot of work to us, because we couldn't catch up on so many posts to delete thing.
As Carlita said, having the tournaments forums, it's much easier to find a specific live-score thread, and only people interested in reading how a certain match is progressing will go there avoiding (or reducing) all the unnecessary posts such as "good job" or "what a choke".
I've gived point by point information on many matches in the past in the tournaments forums and they've been a success. Unfourtunatly I haven't been able to do it lately, but if any of you want to volunteer, you're free to do it. I agree, it would be really exciting to follow it, when you can't watch it on tv, rather than follow it through a live-score site ;)
I know that allowing these kind of threads in GM will only create more confusion and disconfort among members.