ATP Halle Commitment List [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP Halle Commitment List

CooCooCachoo
03-07-2004, 08:57 AM
OK :) I know it's early, but the website already stated the commitment list, so here it goes:

1. Federer, Roger (SUI)
2. Ferrero, Juan Carlos (ESP)
3. Schüttler, Rainer (GER)
4. Nalbandian, David (ARG)
5. Novak, Jiri (CZE)
6. El Aynaoui, Younes (MOR)
7. Verkerk, Martin (NED)
8. Fish, Mardy (USA)
9. Lopez, Feliciano (ESP)
10. Safin, Marat (RUS)
11. Youzhny, Mikhail (RUS)
12. Kiefer, Nicolas (GER)
13. Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
14. Burgsmüller, Lars (GER)
15. Popp, Alexander (GER)
16. Söderling, Robin (SWE)
17. Johansson, Thomas (SWE)
18. Haas, Tommy (GER)

Quite some good names out there! The tournament is played from June 5 until June 13.

*Ljubica*
03-07-2004, 12:49 PM
That is an excellent line-up CooCooCachoo. I've never been to Halle - may just be tempted to change my mind for a week-end though!

KarstenBraasch#1
03-07-2004, 01:05 PM
All those clay-courters again :yawn:

Springy
03-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Feli:)

Havok
03-07-2004, 04:09 PM
im surprised that quite a few top players are going to Halle instead of Queens Club, which is the bigger event of the 2 grass court warmups during that week :scratch:

*Ljubica*
03-07-2004, 04:29 PM
im surprised that quite a few top players are going to Halle instead of Queens Club, which is the bigger event of the 2 grass court warmups during that week :scratch:

As I've been to Queens many times over the years, I'm actually not at all surprised Naldo. It used to be a fantastic tournament years ago attracting big names like Sampras, Becker etc., but lately it has really gone downhill. The organisation is not as good as it used to be, and the place is full of "yuppies" and Sponsors' guests who don't know the first thing about tennis.

I've never personally been to Halle (although I may rectify that this year!), but I've heard great things about it's organisation, with excellent facilities both for fans and players. Also there's a roof over the main court, so no boring rain delays. And Leipzig (just a couple of miles from Halle) is a very short flight from London with no significant time differences or huge climatic changes for the players to adjust to.

TheBoiledEgg
03-07-2004, 04:46 PM
its not gonna be much diff from other yrs
looks a pretty much standard field.

but there's still a few weeks to go before the lists are made OFFICIAL.

Queens will have

Roddick
Agassi
Hewitt
Philippoussis
Grosjean
Henman
Srichaphan
T Martin

Ivanisevic (WC) if he is still fit

Leo
03-07-2004, 05:20 PM
If Ferrero makes the second week of the French Open, he won't play Halle. It has always been his rule.

CooCooCachoo
03-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Eek Rosie.. that sucks :) About the yuppies and such.. I have always wanted to go there :(

That is an excellent line-up CooCooCachoo. I've never been to Halle - may just be tempted to change my mind for a week-end though!

I am also thinking about going to Halle, but not because of the line-up..

And it's not all claycourters at all.. Feliciano Lopez is a very good grass court player too.

*Ljubica*
03-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Eek Rosie.. that sucks :) About the yuppies and such.. I have always wanted to go there :(

I am also thinking about going to Halle, but not because of the line-up..

And it's not all claycourters at all.. Feliciano Lopez is a very good grass court player too.

Yes, well - of course it's only a personal opinion, but I would NOT recommend a visit to Queens, CooCooCachoo. If you're coming to England in Summer then Wimbledon is the obvious choice - not a huge favourite of mine, but it does have an atmosphere all of it's own that is well worth experiencing at least once. But Queens is absolutely everything you can possibly hate about the stereotypical, English upper-class "garden party" - complete with the rain, the braying women in big hats, and the "hooray Henrys" who've never heard of any tennis player but Tim Henman, - and probably wouldn't recognise him either! Do you know, - when I saw Goran play Caratti there in 2001, it was the first match on and there were 45 people in the audience - yes I sat and counted them all! Everyone else was in their sponsors' hospitality lunches and finally trooped in giggling and chattering half way through the next match, which was Marat - and he was NOT impressed :devil:

Frooty_Bazooty
03-07-2004, 09:12 PM
im surprised theres no clement or kucera on that list :confused:

Havok
03-07-2004, 09:46 PM
i didn't know about the crap organization of Queens. thanks for the info;)

*Ljubica*
03-07-2004, 09:49 PM
i didn't know about the crap organization of Queens. thanks for the info;)

You're welcome :) It's actually the very closest tournament to where I live so my parents used to take me there from when I was really small - you just can't imagine how much it has changed for the worst over the years - it makes me really sad actually :sad:

Frooty_Bazooty
03-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Yes, well - of course it's only a personal opinion, but I would NOT recommend a visit to Queens, CooCooCachoo. If you're coming to England in Summer then Wimbledon is the obvious choice - not a huge favourite of mine, but it does have an atmosphere all of it's own that is well worth experiencing at least once. But Queens is absolutely everything you can possibly hate about the stereotypical, English upper-class "garden party" - complete with the rain, the braying women in big hats, and the "hooray Henrys" who've never heard of any tennis player but Tim Henman, - and probably wouldn't recognise him either! Do you know, - when I saw Goran play Caratti there in 2001, it was the first match on and there were 45 people in the audience - yes I sat and counted them all! Everyone else was in their sponsors' hospitality lunches and finally trooped in giggling and chattering half way through the next match, which was Marat - and he was NOT impressed :devil:

this is a huge problem in britain, and its even worse so at Wimbledon. Some big british companies buy lots of tickets to give to all their employees who most of 2which dont have the slightest interest in tennis. and so when it comes to mens finals day you have a quarter of the seats taken by snobby company managers who r there only to get in with their bosses and you also have a lot of empty seats which i think is an absolute scandal.

Billabong
03-07-2004, 10:11 PM
YEAH Rogi will be there to defend his title!!! GOOOOO FED:D!!!!!!

KarstenBraasch#1
03-07-2004, 10:15 PM
I've never personally been to Halle (although I may rectify that this year!), but I've heard great things about it's organisation, with excellent facilities both for fans and players. Also there's a roof over the main court, so no boring rain delays. And Leipzig (just a couple of miles from Halle) is a very short flight from London with no significant time differences or huge climatic changes for the players to adjust to.

Sorry Rosie but that's wrong. ;) Halle near Leipzig is NOT where this tournament is taking place, it's Halle/Westfalen near Bielefeld, about 300 km westward. See this:
http://www.derweg.org/deutschland/gesamt/deutschlandkarte.html

As for comparing Halle and Queens: In the mid-90's it looked like Halle might overtake Queens as a lot of top-players were playing in Halle. But that has changed. Last year Queens had a brilliant field, with all the Wimbledon contenders (except Roger). Halle had players like Clement and Vicente who are hopeless on grass. That's why Kiefer always reaches the final there. :tape:
Okay, maybe Queens' organisation is bad, I don't know. But the COURTS in Queens are 100 times better than Halle's. In Halle the balls don't bounce at all, they are often wet, and after one week the courts look worse than Wimbledon's after two weeks. I definitely think Queens is a better preparation for Wimby than Halle.

Sjengster
03-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Sorry Rosie but that's wrong. ;) Halle near Leipzig is NOT where this tournament is taking place, it's Halle/Westfalen near Bielefeld, about 300 km westward. See this:
http://www.derweg.org/deutschland/gesamt/deutschlandkarte.html

As for comparing Halle and Queens: In the mid-90's it looked like Halle might overtake Queens as a lot of top-players were playing in Halle. But that has changed. Last year Queens had a brilliant field, with all the Wimbledon contenders (except Roger). Halle had players like Clement and Vicente who are hopeless on grass. That's why Kiefer always reaches the final there. :tape:
Okay, maybe Queens' organisation is bad, I don't know. But the COURTS in Queens are 100 times better than Halle's. In Halle the balls don't bounce at all, they are often wet, and after one week the courts look worse than Wimbledon's after two weeks. I definitely think Queens is a better preparation for Wimby than Halle.

I do think it's a pity that Federer hasn't played Queens yet (possibly doesn't fancy running into Henman or Hewitt), but I suppose he likes to stay closer to home considering his success at German-speaking tournaments. And come on, Clement's a decent grass-courter, he's made two tournament finals in Holland and been to the 4th round at Wimbledon twice. Plus Vicente took a set off Federer last year, so he clearly ain't hopeless on grass. ;)

KarstenBraasch#1
03-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Okay, it was a bad example, but still there were lots of crap players in the draw.

Sjengster
03-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Maybe, but on the entry list for this year only Novak and Verkerk strike me as complete losses on grass. The likes of Lopez, Nalbandian, Youzhny, El Aynaoui and so forth have all had good results on the green stuff.

KarstenBraasch#1
03-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Still some open spots left. ;)

Sjengster
03-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Once you take away the names that TBE posted on the first page, there'll be some poor spots left at Queens as well. ;)

RogiFan88
03-07-2004, 11:04 PM

Hooray Henrys... I guess as long as there's an aristocracy in England there will be those types!! They are so goofy! Sounds positively dreadful, my dear!! :p

Yeah, Frooty, I hate corporate tickets... it afflicts us all over the world... disgusting practice... the true fans are deprived of tickets while those corporate asses either don't show up or do and take advantage of a free prime seat, hospitality, etc. YUKKK!!!

armaniman
03-07-2004, 11:20 PM
thats so true what rosie said about the toffs whose paws the tickets fall into for wimbledon....the public hardcore tennis fans sleep on pavement to queue while the silver spooners in flowery hats are sipping pimms while tennis nuts are watching scoreboard outside centre court and would die to have the tickets the socilalites are holding.

Wimbledon championships really need to get into this century and cut out the old farts in suits and badge and brill cream image. their happy to take money from their open all year round shop but when it comes to the fortnight, the amount of tickets they put on sale for ordinary tennis fans is a disgrace.

armaniman
03-07-2004, 11:22 PM
just you go to wimbledon ....you got the henman on the hill doing mexican wave on the grass when he wins a set while some of the corporate arseholes are looking over balcony with glass in hand and ticket for centre court in handbag or suit pocket