Miami Direct Entry Player List [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami Direct Entry Player List

Fee
03-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Here's the direct entry list for Miami. I'll post the Wildcards here as soon as they are announced. The 12 Qualifying spots will be filled right before the tournament starts (48 player draw for qualifying).

1 Roger Federer (SUI)
2 Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
3 Andy Roddick (USA)
4 Guillermo Coria (ARG)
5 Andre Agassi (USA)
6 Rainer Schuettler (GER)
7 Carlos Moya (ESP)
8 David Nalbandian (ARG)
9 Mark Philippoussis (AUS)
10 Paradorn Srichaphan (THA)
11 Tim Henman (GBR)
12 Sebastien Grosjean (FRA)
13 Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
14 Nicolas Massu (CHI)
15 Sjeng Schalken (NED)
16 Jiri Novak (CZE)
17 Gustavo Kuerten (BRA)
18 Martin Verkerk (NED)
19 Tommy Robredo (ESP)
20 Agustin Calleri (ARG)
21 Mardy Fish (USA)
22 Max Mirnyi (BLR)
23 Taylor Dent (USA)
24 Younes El Aynaoui (MAR)
25 Robby Ginepri (USA)
26 Albert Costa (ESP)
27 Vincent Spadea (USA)
28 Jonas Bjorkman (SWE)
29 Felix Mantilla (ESP)
30 Arnaud Clement (FRA)
31 Mariano Zabaleta (ARG)
32 Marat Safin (RUS)
33 Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
34 Gaston Gaudio (ARG)
35 Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
36 Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)
37 James Blake (USA)
38 Hicham Arazi (MAR)
39 Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
40 Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG)
41 Rafael Nadal (ESP)
42 Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
43 Sargis Sargsian (ARM)
44 Filippo Volandri (ITA)
45 Flavio Saretta (BRA)
46 Wayne Ferreira (RSA)
47 Radek Stepanek (CZE)
48 Olivier Rochus (BEL)
49 David Sanchez (ESP)
50 Karol Kucera (SVK)
51 Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
52 Andrei Pavel (ROM)
53 Robin Soderling (SWE)
54 Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
55 Nicolas Kiefer (GER)
56 Raemon Sluiter (NED)
57 Todd Martin (USA)
58 Alberto Martin (ESP)
59 Nicolas Lapentti (ECU)
60 Nicolas Escude (FRA)
61 Karol Beck (SVK)
62 Gregory Carraz (FRA)
63 Xavier Malisse (BEL)
64 Luis Horna (PER)
65 Jan-Michael Gambill (USA)
66 Ivo Karlovic (CRO)
67 David Ferrer (ESP)
68 Irakli Labadze (GEO)
69 Fabrice Santoro (FRA)
70 Victor Hanescu (ROM)
71 Hyung-Taik Lee (KOR)
72 Cyril Saulnier (FRA)
73 Davide Sanguinetti (ITA)
74 Lars Burgsmuller (GER)
75 Jurgen Melzer (AUT)
76 Joachim Johansson (SWE)
77 Thomas Enqvist (SWE)
*143 Guillermo Canas (ARG)
*466 Thomas Johansson (SWE)

* entry protection

As of March 4, 2004

RaVeR
03-07-2004, 10:31 AM
no Ancic???

croat123
03-07-2004, 02:36 PM
mario is probably the top seed in qualifying because the rankings used for this list a old

Billabong
03-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the list:)! GO GUGA and FED!!!:)!

petosp
03-09-2004, 03:10 PM
good luck for Andre to defend this title

Lee
03-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Haas still tries to get a WC than use protective ranking?

It's Miami and I don't think he will have problem getting a WC.

Fee
03-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Yes, Tommy told me in San Jose that he will try for wildcards whenever possible to save his protected ranking option. He can only use that for eight tournaments.

Everyone remember that the direct entry list is based on the ATP Entry Ranking 42 days before the start of the tournament. So get a calendar out, count backward, then go to SteveGTennis.com and find the list for that particular Monday (I'd do it myself but I have a very slow connection).

Billabong
03-10-2004, 02:32 AM
Do you think Agassi can win a 4th straight Miami win?? That would certainly be a superb achievement:)! There are so many players I want to win lol:)!

jayakris
03-17-2004, 08:17 PM
Kafelnikov is off from the main draw list and enquist is in the draw.

Rusedski, Lisnard and Tabara off from the qualfying list which has fallen 4 spots down to #165 Kratochvil. It will drop quite a bit more soon..

Jay

michelleg
03-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Where can I find such a qualifier list???

jayakris
03-18-2004, 12:21 AM
It is not publicly available anywhere ..

Jay

michelleg
03-18-2004, 02:59 PM
So can you tell me if Fernando Vicente just might happen to be on that top secret list?

Are you on the other coast here in FL?

Deboogle!.
03-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Anyone know if Juan Carlos is gonna try to play?

Tricky_Forehand
03-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Anyone know if Juan Carlos is gonna try to play?

From what I know about adult chickenpox is that it takes even longer to recover from then as a child having it. I had chicken pox when I was 5 and it took about 2 weeks. I remember when Lleyton had it, it seemed to take him about two months to reach full energy level again. I know that Chicken Pox can be mild too so hopefully Juanqui has the mild version. There's never a good time to get sick but this has to be one of the worst times. Poor guy. :sad:

Action Jackson
03-19-2004, 08:12 AM
So can you tell me if Fernando Vicente just might happen to be on that top secret list?

Are you on the other coast here in FL?

I know he is playing in the Mexico City challenger at the moment he is in the QFs, if he was playing he probably would have been in Boca Raton.

My Italian is fairly ordinary but from what I read and got from that free translation is that he is playing the challenger in Cagliari.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Yea the pox defintiely takes longer for adults to recover, because they typically get sicker. I'm assuming Juan Carlos won't play but I was just wondering if there was any official word or not out there.

Kiara
03-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Is Nalbandian out for this as well?

*Ljubica*
03-19-2004, 03:52 PM
David only started training again on Monday this week, Kiara. He won't make any official announcement about Miami until Monday next week, but as he says his main priority is Davis Cup I think he may well decide to miss Miami too - kind of depends how he feels after a week's solid training.

jayakris
03-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply Michelleg.

Vicente is currently 8th in the waiting list for the main draw. Main draw cut is right now at #79; Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo and Bohdan Ulihrach (injury rank) are in.

Vicente has not entered the qualifying list for Miami. So, he will have to sign in as an alternate for that and wait for a no-show after the qualifying draw is made (and then he might well be the top seed in the qualies!).

The qualifying cut is right now at #168 Roko Kranusek. Monaco, Veronelli, Hernych, Muller, Tipsarevic are next in for qualis.

Jay

michelleg
03-20-2004, 02:58 AM
Jay,

Thanks for the info, will be there on Monday. Just look for the frazzled blonde with three young children.

See you at B.E.D. on Wednesday nite??? :p

Deboogle!.
03-20-2004, 05:06 AM
David only started training again on Monday this week, Kiara. He won't make any official announcement about Miami until Monday next week, but as he says his main priority is Davis Cup I think he may well decide to miss Miami too - kind of depends how he feels after a week's solid training.

The draw's being made on Monday, so he'd have to decide by then I imagine, right? Well, hopefully he does what's best for him. The tournament needs him and Juan Carlos but they shouldn't push themselves if they're not 100% ready!

*Ljubica*
03-20-2004, 12:13 PM
The draw's being made on Monday, so he'd have to decide by then I imagine, right? Well, hopefully he does what's best for him. The tournament needs him and Juan Carlos but they shouldn't push themselves if they're not 100% ready!

I totally agree with you bunk. So many players come back far too quickly (either pushed by greedy management companies or terrified of losing ranking points), and it impedes their recovery badly, which is what happened with David when he entered Dubai when he wasn't 100% fit. From a purely selfish, personal point of view, I would rather he missed Miami and came back ready for the European season where I can actually see him play live :) , but, as you say, he must do what's best for him and I'll respect his decision. Can't see Juanqui coming back in Miami though - chicken-pox is a very debilitating illness and will take longer than this for an adult to recover I should think.

Deboogle!.
03-20-2004, 12:39 PM
yea, definitely. But it's too bad for them b/c they both probably would do well on a slow hardcourt like Miami. I remember David hurting his ankle during DC but I didn't remember hearing it was that bad. It's just too bad it's taking so long to heal. And yep the pox can last for weeks for an adult. He's lucky he didn't have to be hospitalized and whatnot. Considering he went home to Spain, I don't see him crossing the Pond for Miami, not when the clay season is about to start, he's much much better off just being 100% fit for that, I should think.

*Ljubica*
03-20-2004, 01:22 PM
yea, definitely. But it's too bad for them b/c they both probably would do well on a slow hardcourt like Miami. I remember David hurting his ankle during DC but I didn't remember hearing it was that bad. It's just too bad it's taking so long to heal. And yep the pox can last for weeks for an adult. He's lucky he didn't have to be hospitalized and whatnot. Considering he went home to Spain, I don't see him crossing the Pond for Miami, not when the clay season is about to start, he's much much better off just being 100% fit for that, I should think.

Actually no-one knew David's injury was so bad - not even him - that was the problem! He injured it in DC practice, but continued playing and training as normal until they suddently realised it wasn't healing naturally with time as everyone had thought it would :sad: It is a tendonitis problem (much the same as his wrist was) - guess maybe his body just naturally takes longer to heal than some other people do :( And I agree with you about Juanqui - the most important part of his season is about to begin, with Roland Garros and 3 Masters' Series on clay - so I expect him to stay at home and recover fully over the next few weeks.

Kiara
03-20-2004, 02:41 PM
aw poor David :hug: I hope both he and JCF will be 100% healthy in time for Davis Cup !

Deboogle!.
03-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Actually no-one knew David's injury was so bad - not even him - that was the problem! He injured it in DC practice, but continued playing and training as normal until they suddently realised it wasn't healing naturally with time as everyone had thought it would :sad: It is a tendonitis problem (much the same as his wrist was) - guess maybe his body just naturally takes longer to heal than some other people do :( And I agree with you about Juanqui - the most important part of his season is about to begin, with Roland Garros and 3 Masters' Series on clay - so I expect him to stay at home and recover fully over the next few weeks.

ooooooooohhhhhhhh I didn't realize that. Well that's just horrible. It sounds like he might be prone to tendonitis then? Though I don't know if there's really much that can be done about that, seems like some people are just more prone to that than others.

well eek, guys, get well soon ok? They both sort of seem to have been plagued lately! :(

Neely
03-21-2004, 12:21 AM
:bounce: Let's go, Andre!! :woohoo:

go for the quadruple win there! :yeah: :worship: :D

*Ljubica*
03-21-2004, 01:49 PM
ooooooooohhhhhhhh I didn't realize that. Well that's just horrible. It sounds like he might be prone to tendonitis then? Though I don't know if there's really much that can be done about that, seems like some people are just more prone to that than others.

well eek, guys, get well soon ok? They both sort of seem to have been plagued lately! :(

Well bunk, David has just said today (Sunday) that he WILL play in Miami. I sincerely hope he's made the right decision and that he is 100% fit and not coming back too soon, but of course even he won't know that for sure til he's been tested under proper match conditions, - practice conditions are a completely different thing so only time will tell.

star
03-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Pim Pim is in the direct entry. :bounce:

Kom ingen, Pim Pim!! and please play better than you have been playing the past two weeks.

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 02:12 PM
well that's good Rosie, hopefully he's healed.

and yay star :) Maybe he'll get an American in his draw and you'll get to see him on TV lmfao

i love paradorn
03-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Does anybody know when the qualifying draw will be made? And, is the schedule of play the same as the one in Indian Wells?

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 09:17 PM
the qualie draw should come out sometime today since the qualifying starts tomorrow!

And no, the schedule is a bit different, they start the draw a little earlier so it's a little bit spread out. If you go to the tournament site and click the "tickets" link it says when the sessions/rounds are played.

Also, PMac just said that Ferrero has pulled out of Miami. Hope he gets better to 100% soooon!

Tricky_Forehand
03-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Am I the only one getting really pissed off at the fact that there's yet to be a quallie draw released?? And, add to that, as big as the Miami tournament is why does the website look so shoddy? I know I'm probably in a panic for nothing but there better be a live scoring link by tomorrow because there isn't one yet!!!

:mad: :fiery: :banghead:

Chris Seahorse
03-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Last year the Miami Website was a disgrace. And you are right Tennis724 it's not looking any better this year.

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 11:24 PM
The site looks pretty comprehensive to me, but I Agre there better be a live scoring - at least for the main draw!! I don't think it's uncommon to not do live scoring for qualies, but for the main draw at a TMS tourney, there should certainly be live scoring!! Can anyone remember from last year?

And as for the qualie draw, well it's not even up at the ATP site as a PDF either, so it's probably just not available yet for whatever reason. The ATP seems to put stuff up independently of the tournament sites, so can't blame the Nasdaq-100 site for that one I don't think?

i love paradorn
03-21-2004, 11:29 PM
I am positive there was live scoring on last year's website. Don't worry, there wasn't live scoring on the Indian wells website until the day women's qualies started. There has to be one this year, at least for the main draw matches.

Tricky_Forehand
03-21-2004, 11:46 PM
The site looks pretty comprehensive to me, but I Agre there better be a live scoring - at least for the main draw!! I don't think it's uncommon to not do live scoring for qualies, but for the main draw at a TMS tourney, there should certainly be live scoring!! Can anyone remember from last year?

I know that this tournament is sponsored by NASDAQ but the website seems more concerned with stocks than Tennis. And I also don't find the site all that well organized considering how well IW was done. Why Miami couldn't have a similar site to IW is beyond me :rolleyes:

And as for the qualie draw, well it's not even up at the ATP site as a PDF either, so it's probably just not available yet for whatever reason. The ATP seems to put stuff up independently of the tournament sites, so can't blame the Nasdaq-100 site for that one I don't think?

I've been trying to download the pdf too and I'm still waiting...lol. But considering that it's nearly 8 PM over there even if the QS isn't available the OP should be and it's not either :mad: .

Alex doesn't have to qualify so, at least, I'm not as mad as I could be :D

Deboogle!.
03-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Yea I noticed that the site was kind of focused on the stock market LMAO! That's good to hear they had live scoring last year. I just can't imagine a TMS tourney NOT having it.

The IW site is actually run by the ATP. A lot of their sites look similar, like the Memphis one a few weeks ago, the TMC one, and a few other TMS tourneys too. I don't know why they don't do them all. Maybe if the tournament doesn't get the site done by someone else (like for the TMS Paris one I'm pretty sure the French Tennis Federation ran it right?), the ATP picks it up and does it. But yea.... I dunno lol

Neely
03-22-2004, 12:05 AM
no, really... I can't believe that this Masters Series event is gonna be without live scores. I hope there will be one installed later.

One thing is for sure... the "NASDAQ-100 Ticker" is already working :lol: :rolls: :rolls:
(just click on "Launch the NASDAQ-100 Ticker" on the right side ;) )

_________

BTW, a short notice, especially to Armaniman ;) , but also to all other who didn't discover it yet on the homepage --> this year, the men's final will be played best of five :D

Corey Feldman
03-22-2004, 12:12 AM
there were scoreboards last year, and similiar to the slam scoreboards when you can see all the active matches on 1 page, but always slows your pc down :)

Deboogle!.
03-22-2004, 12:20 AM
that's great to hear, thanks Escude :)

Deboogle!.
03-22-2004, 12:52 AM
I see the site has put up the women's qualie draw so hopefully the men's is soon to come :)

And they've updated the direct entry list today too

playwithmybanan
03-22-2004, 10:27 PM
i've got to say, the rotterdam site was excellent. they had a live broadcast of the finals (hewitt vs. ferrero). it was great.