Sampras - Agassi 2002 US Open Final [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sampras - Agassi 2002 US Open Final

In_Disguise
12-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Hello, Does anyone know where I can download or get hold of a copy of the Sampras/Agassi 2002 US Open Final?

I never had the chance to watch that game unfortunately, and it'll be interesting to see how their standard match up with today's players just 4 years ago...

RogersGirl
12-05-2006, 11:00 PM
i have it on tape, pm me if you're interested :wavey:

Byrd
12-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Sampras got a bit lucky in that match, Agassi choked and if it went to a 5th set he would of won seeing that Sampras was struggling.

Horatio Caine
12-06-2006, 12:39 AM
I saw some of the re-run when much of the US Open was rained off this year and the standard at times was appalling! Sampras's serve was the only thing firing for much of the match and even then he was serving a fair few dfs. Don't know what happened to Agassi that day

rod99
12-06-2006, 02:45 AM
agassi got screwed b/c he played the second semi-final match the day before and had an extremely tough 4 set win over hewitt who was ranked #1 in the world. sampras had an easy straight set win over schalken in the first match. since the final was played the next day (ridiculous, as it's the only grand slam that plays the semis and finals on back to back days), agassi admitted that he came out extremely sluggish from the day before. he had sampras in big trouble in the 4th, as he had a break point to go up a break. sampras started going for broke and got the one break he needed to win the set.

MisterQ
12-06-2006, 03:43 AM
Pete made an incredible half-volley to break point in the fourth set. Gotta take your hat off to him for that shot under such pressure. :hatoff:

Missing that shot could very well have changed the outcome of the match.

Mimi
12-06-2006, 03:46 AM
the most important win for Pete :worship:

MisterQ
12-06-2006, 05:17 AM
the most important win for Pete :worship:

Surely that was Wimbledon 2000. ;)

USO2002 was icing on the cake. :lol:

Lee
12-06-2006, 05:24 AM

Not exactly. Pete had been struggling winning any title since Wimbledon 2000. He had been saying he still believed he could win another big one. And he kept his word and that's very important to him.

MisterQ
12-06-2006, 05:26 AM
Not exactly. Pete had been struggling winning any title since Wimbledon 2000. He had been saying he still believed he could win another big one. And he kept his word and that's very important to him.

I know the story, and I can see why it could be the most important to him personally. :)

But Wimbledon seems more important for the history books, in my mind at least. ;)

Lee
12-06-2006, 05:28 AM
I know the story, and I can see why it could be the most important to him personally. :)

But Wimbledon seems more important for the history books, in my mind at least. ;)

Let's see how many more Slams Federer will win! ;)

Mimi
12-06-2006, 06:20 AM
for me, its the best win, being written off by so many experts, pete won the last match with a win in a slam final, nobody did this before (not 100% sure)? and I as his fans, have this last laugh :p

RonE
12-06-2006, 09:35 AM
for me, its the best win, being written off by so many experts, pete won the last match with a win in a slam final, nobody did this before (not 100% sure)? and I as his fans, have this last laugh :p

Absolutely. That was the best possible way to go- finish off the career with a slam title beating the biggest rival of your generation in the final. A true storybook ending :worship:

buzz
12-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Absolutely. That was the best possible way to go- finish off the career with a slam title beating the biggest rival of your generation in the final. A true storybook ending :worship:

Yes it sounds legendary, the 2002US is making him more of a legend I think than the 2000WIM:worship:

Agassi Aces
12-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Agassi bounced back though at the following grand slam, blitzing the field at the 2003 Australian Open dropping just ONE SET!!!

Lendl's Forehand
12-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Agassi had sooooo many chances in that 4th set. No doubt that he would have won the match if he could have taken it to a 5th set. Sampras didn't have another set of tennis in him.

angiel
12-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Agassi had sooooo many chances in that 4th set. No doubt that he would have won the match if he could have taken it to a 5th set. Sampras didn't have another set of tennis in him.

You dont know no such thing and luck dont make you win a slam like the US OPEN my friend, it takes great tennis to do so - he would still lost even winning the 5th set, Pete has never lost to Andre at the OPEN, never.:worship: :worship: :worship:

Osama B Hitler
12-06-2006, 10:06 PM
You dont know no such thing and luck dont make you win a slam like the US OPEN my friend, it takes great tennis to do so - he would still lost even winning the 5th set, Pete has never lost to Andre at the OPEN, never.:worship: :worship: :worship:

I know Sampras was out of gas by the end of the 4th by having watched the match. And its not a personal thing its just obvious that he was either going to win it in the 4th set or lose easily in 5 - just like what happened to Sampras against Agassi at the 2000 Australian Open.