THE MOST SUCCESFULL ARGENTINE PLAYER IN THE EUROPEAN CLAY SEASON [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

THE MOST SUCCESFULL ARGENTINE PLAYER IN THE EUROPEAN CLAY SEASON

MAURO
03-06-2004, 04:00 PM
WHO WILL BE THE MOST SUCCESSFULL ARGENTINE PLAYER IN THE EUROPEAN CLAY SEASON WINNING TOURNAMENTS LIKE BARCELONA, ROME, HAMBURGO, MONTECARLO OR ROLAND GARROS?

I think at least two Masters Series will be for a PLAYER ARGENTINE.

*Ljubica*
03-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Well I guess Coria is the obvious answer to this one after his excellent results on clay last year, but I voted for David just because I think he's the much better all-round player with the much greater variety of game - oh, yes, and I'm probably a bit biased too! :)

Scotty5
03-06-2004, 05:10 PM
I think Coria will play all the tournaments, have consistently good results, and maybe even win Monte Carlo or Hamburg, where several top players often don't play.
But David or even Canas could very well triumph at one with the toughest draw.

Fedex
03-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Coria. But like Rosie said, David has a better all-around game, and can therefore win on all surfaces

JC`s rainbow
03-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Guillermo of course and I`m a bit biased, too - LOL !!

jazz_girl
03-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Well I guess Coria is the obvious answer to this one after his excellent results on clay last year, but I voted for David just because I think he's the much better all-round player with the much greater variety of game - oh, yes, and I'm probably a bit biased too! :)
I totally agree with you.

CooCooCachoo
03-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Someone just wants Coría to win a poll.

MAURO
03-06-2004, 08:30 PM

no man, you are wrong.

I voted for David as Rosie and the others who said David is an all surfaces player and in clay he can do it very well if he focus.

And I think Cañas, Calleri and Chela could do it very well too

armaniman
03-07-2004, 03:37 AM

have you seen the poll for who will end year at number one?? with tim henman in 2nd place behind federer ? LMAO :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway back to this poll......its between nalbandian and coria and more likely to be coria although theres some talent in the list, their results are too scratchy compared to coria going on 2003 evidence and hes got best shot out of them all of winning the french.

Chloe le Bopper
03-07-2004, 03:42 AM
I think Coria will play all the tournaments, have consistently good results, and maybe even win Monte Carlo or Hamburg, where several top players often don't play.
But David or even Canas could very well triumph at one with the toughest draw.
He doesn't need several top players out of the draw in order to win. He's shown that he can beat pretty much anybody on clay, aside from Ferrero. Guga too, of course, but Guga hasn't been in form the last couple of years.

Anyways, unless his leg falls off, I will go with Coria. Nalbandian could do well, but Coria is much better on the dirt than David is. The other players listed are too spotty (ie: Gaudio, and Canas because of his injury), or not as good as Coria (Calleri - but I imagine he'll have a pretty decent clay season as well)

MAURO
03-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Nalbandian and the others could do it so well too
believe it

It is not the clay world of Coria

Leo
03-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Coria.

I would like it to be Gaudio, but his head is not screwed on right.

And hopefully Nalbandian can have a better clay season this year than last, now that he is a much better and more complete player.

TennisLurker
03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Nalbandian was not very fit last year, he didnt have the stamina for long clay matches, he was a little on the fat side, that is why he had that injury in Wimbledon in his abdominal muscles.

Nnow he is a lot fitter than last year, he should do better on clay.

renatoal
03-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Coria

Sjengster
03-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Nalbandian will certainly have good clay results, but I don't think he'll have the same consistency as Coria - apart from that Hamburg semi last year, the rest of his results on the dirt were not terrific, tanking away the final set against Mantilla in Rome and going down 6-1 in the fifth to everyone's favourite French journeyman Coutelot at RG. They were both so friendly at the net afterwards... I too hope that Gaudio can put it together and win something big on the clay, but if he's losing to the likes of Sanchez and Acasuso already then there really is no hope.

RogiFan88
03-07-2004, 10:57 PM
I'll be boring and go w Guille too, barring any injury. He has shown his consistency on clay, more than any other Argie, last yr.

Nalby is more all-surface than Coria and I haven't really seen him play on clay actually so I'm not sure about him.

As for Gaudio... he doesn't have the determination to keep winning... he can bother guys like Rogi and Juanqui but he always looks like he couldn't care less... too bad.

Calleri needs to get tougher mentally if he is to do well on any surface... I just remember him losing to Coria in Hamburg.

Canas and Chela... I w go w Canas first.

Santorofan
03-07-2004, 11:06 PM
I believe the legendary Jose Luis Clerc - former #4 in the world and twice a semifinalist at Roland Garros - should also be in the running on this poll...

MAURO
03-08-2004, 06:34 PM
I believe the legendary Jose Luis Clerc - former #4 in the world and twice a semifinalist at Roland Garros - should also be in the running on this poll...

yeah but i thought in 2004

Billabong
03-09-2004, 12:23 AM
I also think Coria may be the one... we'll see;)!