just got back from the McAllen, TX $15k [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

just got back from the McAllen, TX $15k

Scotso
03-05-2004, 09:23 PM
It was pretty cool, my first event and I was so shocked at how I was just sitting there amongst all the players... they didn't seem to think it was a big deal to talk to me but I was like :o

I watched three matches:

Nicolas Todero def. Bobby Reynolds 6-4 6-1
I wasn't really impressed by either player, I mean they were good, but made a lot of errors. "Bobby" as the umpire called him, was a pretty big brat. He kept complaining about the calls, but he wasn't the worst sport there.

Federico Luzzi def. Matej Bocko 6-3 6-1
Bocko is listed as Slovakian but I had a few words with him before his match, and it is obvious that he was raised in the United States. He was a really nice but shy guy, and I loved watching him play. He was a lefty and had a beautiful game, just a bit erratic today and was bothered by Luzzi. Luzzi, Luzzi, Luzzi.... I went to the tournament thinking he was the only one I knew/liked that was still in it. I was NOT impressed. He was a spoiled brat. He complained about calls, about the sun, about not having ballkids, about not having an umbrella... there were about 10 fresh towels delivered for the match and Lucci took 9 of them. He yelled at Bocko in Italian during the match after he won a long point, and he yelled at the umpire all the time, calling him stupid and a disaster and telling him to shut up. When he was up 6-3 5-1 he started getting really pissy and yelling at this poor guy that was taking pictures for a magazine (I slunk down at this point because I was snapping away too, but at Matej, who was VERY cute). He just kept yelling at the poor guy, I was scared for him. He won the match but by the end the entire crowd was cheering loudly for the Bocko. I've never seen such a lousy attitude on the tennis court. What a horrible person.

Raven Klaasen vs. Jacob Adaktusson
I didn't watch much of this one because I was more interested in the other two. This was a long match. It was on when I got there, the other two matches finished, and then when I left, they were tied in the third set. They both looked like great players. I saw Jacob with his shirt off, and also Bocko, and yumm. Yes, yumm. Anyway, I digress.

I guess the highlight of the event for me was getting to talk to Matej Bocko and BRIAN BAKER. Yes, Brian Baker. He was hanging out around the court with his coach waiting for his doubles match, and I recognized him and talked to him a bit. He was nice, I think suprised a little that I knew who he was... he lost in the first round here. But, it was cool and I got a picture with him. I'll post that and my others when I get them developed.

It was a nice intimate setting for my first pro event, I'm only sad that Brian Baker lost early so I couldn't see him, and that Daniel Garza didn't even show up... and I guess I was disappointed that Federico Luzzi is such an asshole. But still, I had fun. I'm badly sunburned though, and will be burning for a week. I need to go now though, another benefit of being in South Texas is that I get Mexican TV, and the Abierto Mexicano de Tenis is on :D

Scotso
03-05-2004, 09:28 PM
I forgot to say that I was Thomas Blake walking around... his hair is bigger than his brother's ever was.

Pink Panther
03-05-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm surprised that Luzzi was such an a$$hole. Have to think twice before rooting for him now...:awww:

But thanx for the report anyway. :D

Kristen
03-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Raven Klaasen vs. Jacob Adaktusson
I didn't watch much of this one because I was more interested in the other two. This was a long match. It was on when I got there, the other two matches finished, and then when I left, they were tied in the third set. They both looked like great players. I saw Jacob with his shirt off, and also Bocko, and yumm. Yes, yumm. Anyway, I digress.

OMG! So impressed... I wish I had an opportunity to see Adaktusson play! looking forward to seeing your photos :D

tennischick
03-06-2004, 01:46 AM
thanks for the live reports. these are always the best read...;)

Scotso
03-07-2004, 01:30 AM
On our way back home my boyfriend and I had a layover in Houston, and we saw Brian Baker there! He remembered us and took a picture with my boyfriend, so I'll post that too when it's developed ;)

armaniman
03-07-2004, 02:09 AM
cool, sounds like you had a great day, meeting and having good chat with the players and acapulco tournie on tv.... what could be better?

cant imagine you being sunburnt there as its freezing in uk at the moment lol

tennischick
03-07-2004, 05:15 PM
have you been to Placencia Dr. Scotso? i have never been to Belize -- it's one of the Caribbean places for some reason i just never think of visiting. Marion Jones was born there in case anyone's interested.

CooCooCachoo
03-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Great read, Dr. Scotso :) And the Federico Luzzi story.. really unique! I have never seen him in real life, but I'll keep this in mind just in case I might run into him here in The Netherlands.. ;)

Haven't heard of Bocko, Klaasen and Aduktsson before, but it's nice ;)

maratski
03-08-2004, 01:12 PM
It seems you people have forgotten when Luzzi beat Clément in TMS Rome a few years ago. It's the only time I've heard about the guy. He acted like a jerk and Clément was so pissed after the match that he let his anger out on the lockerroom.

Thanks for the report scotso and glad to hear you had a good time :)