AntennA
03-05-2004, 08:14 PM
anyone?

stephB
03-06-2004, 02:23 PM
i also looking for one!!!!!!!

jtipson
03-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Qualifying doesn't begin until Wednesday 10th, so I doubt there'll be a qually draw out until then.

You should be able to see it at www.stevegtennis.com next week.

i love paradorn
03-06-2004, 06:51 PM
go danai udomchoke!

Frooty_Bazooty
03-06-2004, 07:28 PM
the actualy qualifying isnt until wed and thu so the draw will probably be out on monday or early tuesday

nitsansh
03-06-2004, 09:24 PM
How many play in qualifying??

Fee
03-07-2004, 01:39 AM
Last year, the Miami Masters was a 96 player draw, like Indian Wells will be this year. They had 48 players in the Qualifying draw and they only had to play two matches to get down to the final 12. Indian Wells will probably be just like that.

By the way, the official tournament site is www.pacificlifeopen.com

nitsansh
03-07-2004, 07:28 PM
So we should expect the cut for qualifying to be around 130 if everyone enters, isn't it?
What is the qualifying cut for Miami usually is?

nitsansh
03-07-2004, 07:39 PM
WTA Tour Draw Size
Singles main draw 96
Singles qualifying 48
Doubles main draw 32
75 Direct Acceptances
9 Wild Cards
12 Qualifiers
Best of three sets

ATP Draw Size
Singles main draw 96
Singles qualifying: 48
Doubles main draw: 32
75 Direct Acceptances
9 Wild Cards
12 Qualifiers
Best of three sets

Schedule for the 2004 Pacific Life Open

March 8-9 - Women's Qualifying (Free Admission)
March 10-21 - Women's Main Draw
March 10-11 - Men's Qualifying
March 12-21 - Men's Main Draw

Starting Times

Monday, March 8 - Friday, March 19
10:00AM
Saturday, March 20
Men's and Women's Doubles Final
Sunday, March 21
Men's and Women's Singles Final

nitsansh
03-07-2004, 07:43 PM
The 2004 Pacific Life Open WTA Tour singles main draw will be made on Monday, March 8, while the ATP singles main draw will be made on Tuesday, March 9.

The WTA Tour doubles main draw will be made on Tuesday, March 9, while the ATP doubles main draw will be made on Friday, March 12.

There's no word on the qualifying draws... I guess the women's quali draw should be today and the men's on Tuesday...

Fee
03-07-2004, 11:39 PM
ATP Draw Size
Singles main draw 96
Singles qualifying: 48
Doubles main draw: 32
75 Direct Acceptances
9 Wild Cards
12 Qualifiers
Best of three sets

The tournament website says 79 direct acceptances for the men, and 5 wildcards.

nitsansh
03-08-2004, 12:52 AM
The tournament website says 79 direct acceptances for the men, and 5 wildcards.
That was copied from that website. It's their mistake, there are 5 WC for men as you said, and we know who they are... (Safin, Corretja, Enqvist, Haas, Bogomolov)

Lady
03-08-2004, 01:45 PM
But why Marat needs a WC??

natalie
03-08-2004, 01:52 PM
because he was too late to inscribe

jayakris
03-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Yes. Only 5 wildcards into the main draw. Same as at Miami last year. 5 WCs are there in the 48-size qualifying draw also. I assume the qualifying draw will only be made tomorrow. The cut for qualies has now fallen to about #230.

Jay

jtipson
03-08-2004, 03:48 PM
because he was too late to inscribe

No, nothing to do with that; it's because he was ranked too low at the cut-off date to get in automatically. See the other threads here for good explanations.

jayakris
03-08-2004, 06:31 PM
The qualifying draw will be made only after 9 pm Tuesday. They will wait to see which players in the qualifying list have lost in other challenger/futures events first round this week before removing their names (they are allowed to play qualies at Indian Wells, if they are willing to not play next week at another event).

So, we won't know till wednesday morning, just before the qualifying matches start.

Jay

*Marat BigFan*
03-08-2004, 09:15 PM
the main draw will be finish on Tuesday?

Deboogle!.
03-08-2004, 10:36 PM
the main draw will be finish on Tuesday?

Yep, the women's was posted today like they said it would be so I'd assume sometime tomorrow afternoon (California time) it'll go up on the tourney's site.

jayakris
03-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Yes, I believe the main draw will be out first before the qualifying draw is made. As of now, the main draw cut is at #79 Ulihrach. Carraz, Kafelnikov, Kucera and Vicente from the initial list are not playing, and so Ruben Ramirez, Jurgen Melzer, Andre Igor, and Ulihrach made the cut. Wesley Moodie and Brian Vahaly are next in line for main draw.

Jay

Fee
03-09-2004, 02:11 AM
Thanks for that info Jay. Where is Joachim Johansson on the list? I thought he was close to getting in too.

jayakris
03-09-2004, 04:44 AM
J.Johansson is 8th in the waiting list, 6 behind Vahaly (but there may be a some guys in between who may not be playing, I suppose, though).

Jay

jayakris
03-09-2004, 12:56 PM
OK, Nalbandian has withdrawn from main draw. Moody into main draw. Vahaly next in line.

Jay

jayakris
03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
El Aynaoui withdrew from main draw. Vahaly makes main draw...

Since Fee asked above, J.Johansson is now 5th in the waiting list for main draw.

Jay

Wombi
03-09-2004, 05:43 PM
where is the cut for the quali?

Deboogle!.
03-09-2004, 05:43 PM
oh no younes too??????? :bigcry:

but, congrats to Vahaly. He made the QF at IW last year so it's good for him to be in the draw to maybe finally get a win this year.

jayakris
03-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Wombi -- No clue about the qualies cut because a lot of the playerees who were in the qualies list are playing in various events. Depends on who will show up! ..

Jay

Fee
03-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Jay,
Are you at IW? I'll be there Sunday - Wednesday. Let's meet at the Garden Restaurant for a chilly beverage! And thanks for the draw info.

jayakris
03-09-2004, 06:55 PM
I am not at Indian Wells. In Irvine, CA actually. Not sure when exactly I will be going there .. That would be fun to hook up... Thanks.

Jay

nitsansh
03-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Inquiry to ranking experts....

If a player who is accepted into a mandatory event (GS or MS) withdraws and enters another tournament on the same week... does that mean he gets both 0 points in the mandatory tournament and his score in the other week on the same ranking date?
There is a case of this kind this week... Vicente is playing at Bogota challenger...

and what about those who are not on the original acceptance list but could have entered as reserves and chose to play elsewhere?

Also... which ranking date determines the seeding at IW? This week or last week?

If it goes by this week ranking, the top qualifying seeds are:
Joachim Johansson
Anthony Dupuis
Fernando Verdasco
Dmitri Tursunov
Jose Acasuso
Galo Blanco
Richard Gasquet
PH Mathieu (probably still injured)
Albert Portas
Stefan Koubek
John Van Lottum
Nicolas Mahut
Kenneth Carlsen
Michael Llodra
Greg Rusedski (probably not playing...)
Harel Levy
Tomas Behrend

If 1st round losers at challengers can enter the IW qualies if they lose in 1st round, look out for result of Oscar Hernandez at Bogota today. If he enters the qualifying he would be seeded after Tursunov.
Also... Tomas Berdych withdrew from Wrexham and could be seeded just behind Tursunov or Hernandez.
If last week's ranking are used the biggest loser would be Verdasco, who might not be among the top 12 seeds if all the above enter the qualies.

jayakris
03-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Acasuso, Blanco, Gasquet, Mathie, Portas, Mahut, Llodra, and Behrend from your list did not enter the qualies. Carlsen and Rusedski withdrew.

Oscar cannot play qualies because he did not enter three weeks back. For Masters event qualies, the draw is made based solely on the separate qualies entry list (not made with those who missed the cut from the main draw entry list AND sign-ins as done in other ATP events). Bascially you are expected to enter the qualies and you are epxected to come if you made the initial cut for qualies (there are fines if you don't withdraw by draw time and become a no-show.) So, if you don't enter the qualies 3 weeks ahead, then one can play only by signing in as an alternate and waiting for a withdrawal/no-show.

Two or three guys who played Bogota (Kevin Kim, Hugo Armando and Jose De Armas who lost by today) are trying to rush up to Indian Wells by tomorrow morning to play qualies. The first two have made the cut and the 3rd is next in, who may be in by tonight.

I believe the seedings for qualies will be based on this week's ranks - but I am not sure.

Jay

nitsansh
03-09-2004, 08:25 PM
According to my calculation, Johansson is now 4th on the waiting list.
Of the 5 players between him and Vahaly on the entry list, based on Jan 19 ranking, 2 are off the list for sure: Safin is WC, and Popp is into 2nd round at Wrexham challenger. Also, Hernandez is playing his 1st round at Bogota today.
The next 2 on the list are Dupuis and Ascione, followed by Hernandez, Johansson, Koubek, C Rochus, Van Lottum, Mahut, Gasquet, Tursunov, Blanco. All those were top-100 players on Jan 19 and may not get into MD.

nitsansh
03-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Acasuso, Blanco, Gasquet, Mathie, Portas, Mahut, Llodra, and Behrend from your list did not enter the qualies. Carlsen and Rusedski withdrew.

So that leave the following players...

Joachim Johansson
Anthony Dupuis
Fernando Verdasco
Dmitri Tursunov
Stefan Koubek
John Van Lottum
Harel Levy

Next in ranking order:
Ascione
Mutis
Rosset
Goldstein
Vassalo-Arguello
Boutter
C Rochus
Salzenstein
Benneteau
Patience
(not included: Sanguinetti, Bogomolov in MD, Puerta suspended, Montanes since he was above Vahaly in entry list)

If I recall correctly, Mutis and Vassalo still play at Wrexham.
I would doubt that Rosset is playing in qualies.
Boutter is absence from the tour recently.
The 2 Americans I'm sure entered the qualies
Ascione is 2nd in waiting list and probably there
I would also expect Rochus and Patience to play qualies, but I doubt about Benneteau...

Scotso
03-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Why would the main draw be out b4 qualies :mad:

nitsansh
03-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Read Jayakris' post earlier...

They wait till Tuesday evening to allow 1st round losers in challengers this week to enter the qualies draw...

-wokkel-
03-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Fuck! Joachim should play quallies!

jayakris
03-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Looks like the cut for qualies is #293 Emin Agayev, who was about 35 out from the qualifying cut initially. I think there will be about 3 or 4 no-shows when the qualies are held tomorrow. A few guys got into the list only iover the last 2 days or so and may not manage to travel to Palm Springs by tomorrow.

Jay

SuperRevelation
03-10-2004, 12:50 AM
so is Joachim going to play qualies??? he better!

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Bogomolov won't be in qualies b/c he was given a WC. And wow I see the Q draw still is not out yet!

i love paradorn
03-10-2004, 02:48 AM
it's been out for a while now
http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2004/404/QS.pdf

jayakris
03-10-2004, 02:48 AM
They will make the qual draw only at 9 pm, I think. Still an hour to go.

Jay

i love paradorn
03-10-2004, 02:55 AM
that hour has passed

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 03:12 AM
Here is the link to the qualifying draw.

http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/10/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/10/oncourt/draws/ATPQS_2004.pdf

Action Jackson
03-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Johansson is the number 1 seed.
Verdasco
Tursunov
Koubek
Van Lottum
Levy
Ascione

jayakris
03-10-2004, 05:05 AM
Basically anybody can walk in and take those three alternate spots tomorrow morning when the alternates sign in by 9.30 am. If you have an ATP rank, you are probably in...

Then there may be at least a couple more spots which will open with no shows too ..

Jay

jayakris
03-10-2004, 05:09 AM
I think people at the Indian Wells office screwed up a bit in not handling the 5 wildcards they had. Guys like Pedroso, Reynolds etc could have used the two wildcard spots they wasted. They only gave three wildcards. They had five to give ... As of afternoon there, the ATP guys and basically nobody seemed to have a list of wildcards. There were players ready to catch an evening flight and come in, and nobody did. I suppose the LA area kids who can drive down there will get to play. From what I can see, this was not done well by PLO people, but I don't know more details.

Jay

Deboogle!.
03-10-2004, 05:22 AM
the qualie draw is finally up

http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/10/oncourt/draws/ATPQS_2004.pdf

Chai
03-10-2004, 05:37 AM
Good luck to
Danai Udomchoke :worship:
Joachim Johansson :wavey:

Fee
03-10-2004, 05:50 AM
So does that mean Marat's coach could try to get into qualifying? Or Thomas Blake and Torrey Gambill, just because they happen to be there with their brothers (if they are actually in town)? That's just kind of bizarre that this wasn't handled better.

Jay, can you send me a private message so that we can exchange contact info in case you make it out to IW. Thanks.

liS@
03-10-2004, 06:08 AM
So Safin did get his WC :D of course. And the amazing Nadal gets direct entrance.

Does anyone have any tips for those attending IW? Do tickets sell out at the gate for early rounds?

From past experiences, I know I would bring my own food if you don't want to pay for a $4 coke... Oh and the practice courts alone is worth the ticket price. ;)

Fee
03-10-2004, 06:56 AM
Wear very comfortable shoes and bring a hat. Put your sunscreen on your entire body before you get dressed so that you make sure every inch of you is covered. Check your bottle of sunscreen to make sure that it has either Parsol 1789 (Avobenzone) or Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide in the active ingredients (if it doesn't throw it away and find one that does). Eat before you get there, bring a water bottle, and if you are staying for the night session, bring warm clothes. Once the sun goes down and the breeze kicks up it can get really cold there.

Say hi if you see me. I'll be there Sunday - Wednesday, almost always in the vicinity of JMG, if he's around. If not, who knows where I will be.

Chloe le Bopper
03-10-2004, 08:17 AM
And the amazing Nadal gets direct entrance.

Bah. If he'd managed another round last week, he might have even had a seeding for the next one :p

Xavidbz
03-10-2004, 09:04 AM
GOOD LUCK TO NANDO VERDASCO!

stephB
03-10-2004, 10:41 AM
good luck to johnny. i hope he can make it to the main draw :)

Scotso
03-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Joachim :D
Fernando V :)
Gilles :D
HUGO ARMANDO :D
Philipp :D
Jean-Rene :D
Giovanni :)
Todd Reid :D
Frederic Niemeyer :D

Fee
03-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Here's the final Qualifying results. All of these winners will be put into the main draw:

S. Larose def Z. Fleishman 6-4, 6-2
H. Levy def G. Galimberti 6-1, 1-6, 6-2
W. Arthurs def A. Calatrava 7-6(3), 7-6(8)
D. Tursunov def H. Armando 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
G. Lapentti def P Kralert 6-0, 6-4
F. Verdasco def R. Kendrick 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-2
J. Van Lottum def R. Mello 6-4, 6-4
J. Hernych def J. Salzenstein 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
T. Ascione def A. Kim 7-5, 6-3
F. Niemeyer def T. Reid 1-6, 7-6(4), 6-3
G. Weiner def R. Sabau 6-1, 6-4
F. Browne def W. Odesnik 7-6(4) 7-6(6)

Scotso
03-12-2004, 03:42 AM
Frederic Niemeyer :D

:sad: Hugo :sad:

Tricky_Forehand
03-12-2004, 04:48 AM
Robert :mad: . Although I can't say that I'm all that surprised by the result because Fernando can be good on hard courts and he has been doing fairly well lately.

Dmitry :rolleyes: . What is with him and losing the first set? He can't afford to start so slow tomorrow against Tojo. C'mon Dmitry!!

Simon!! He actually stayed consistent for two matches. Ok, so he won by retirement yesterday but he still got the chance to play the even more inconsistent Zack Fleishman for a spot in the main draw. WTG Simon!! :D

Masto22
03-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Let´s Go Fede Browne!!!

Ma. Estefania
03-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Well done Giova :) Finally a main draw.