The "Mardy, sort out your serve b/c there's nothing to cheer about in 2007" thread. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "Mardy, sort out your serve b/c there's nothing to cheer about in 2007" thread.

Pages : [1] 2

Deboogle!.
11-29-2006, 04:45 AM
Mardy has entered Auckland, during the 2nd week of the 2007 season. He's not entered in any of the three week 1 tourneys so I guess he's starting his 2007 in Auckland before the AO.

Here's to a fantabulous 2007 for Mardy! :drink:

simpletennis
11-29-2006, 05:00 AM
cheers! :drink:

pieross
11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Go Mardy!!!

~EMiLiTA~
12-04-2006, 04:51 AM
hi guys, i don't normally post here but just thought you might be interested in this piece of news i just got sent by email:

Mardy Fish Joins Hopman Cup Field
4 December 2006

AMERICAN Mardy Fish has joined the field for Hyundai Hopman Cup XIX with the withdrawal through injury of defending champion Taylor Dent.

Fish, a silver medallist in singles at the Athens Olympics, had reached a career-high ranking of 17 before a wrist injury sent him spiraling down the ranks to 350. Following surgery, he has fought his way back inside the top 50 and returned to the Tour’s winning list by claiming the title in Houston this year.

Dent and Lisa Raymond combined to win last summer’s Hopman Cup, the fourth for the USA and Dent was set to partner five-times Grand Slam champion Venus Williams this January as No 4 seeds. Fish will now have this honour.

That seeding will remain unchanged, as will the schedule of matches for the USA.

Tournament Director Paul McNamee said Dent suffered a recurrence of a back injury in March this year and had yet to return to the court, although he had been confident of making a comeback in Perth.

“He has been battling the injury all year and recently started practicing again,” says McNamee. “But he’s just not ready and now doesn’t plan coming to Australia at all this summer.”

Deboogle!.
12-04-2006, 03:15 PM
ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

too bad for Taylor but yay for Mardy :D

renee_chin
12-06-2006, 01:33 AM
taylor :awww:

hopefully we're getting hopman cup broadcast next year as we did this year - haven't gotta see mardy play in a looooooooooooooooooooong time :D

Jlee
12-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Poor Taylor!

Good luck Mardy :yeah:

pieross
12-09-2006, 05:45 AM
OMG....Taylor injury again and again...so poor...

Good Luck and Go Mardy!

ataptc
12-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Taylor :(

Make good use of this opportunity and start the year right, Mardy!

Kumero
12-22-2006, 02:12 AM
Who's Mardy dating now?

mrserenawilliams
12-22-2006, 02:33 AM
me ;)

:tears: I wish :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-22-2006, 02:54 AM
Who's Mardy dating now?Who cares?

mrserenawilliams
12-22-2006, 09:15 AM
:lol: agreed

hamilton877
12-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Marty should WELCOME the chance to play with freshly divorced Ashley in an exotic locale, and looking for some off court 'bonding' to build the team,

if'n ya follow me

Deboogle!.
12-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Marty should WELCOME the chance to play with freshly divorced Ashley in an exotic locale, and looking for some off court 'bonding' to build the team,

if'n ya follow meNope, sorry, I'm not :scratch:

andyroddickfan03
12-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Yay Go Mardy!

Deboogle!.
12-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Very inauspicious start to the year, losing to Haehnel :o:o:o:o

Jerome Haehnel def Mardy Fish 7-5 4-6 7-6(3)

Deboogle!.
12-30-2006, 04:01 PM
some pics from hopman cup

andyroddickfan03
12-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Oh no :(

pieross
12-31-2006, 08:51 AM
:o :o
I hate TB....

pieross
01-01-2007, 05:38 AM
Whats up to Mardy's left wrist?
i think i see a band on it...the color is orange...

Deboogle!.
01-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I dunno, hopefully it's not giving him a problem again :unsure:

andyroddickfan03
01-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Mardy usually always wears some kind of tape on it the last few times I've seen him he has something on it

pieross
01-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Mardy def Tusunov 6-1 6-3:D
but Harkleroad lost to Petrova3-6 0-6:o

and the mix double
Harkleroad/Fish lost to Petrova/Tursunov 3-6 5-7:o

they lost the qualification to final...:o

pieross
01-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Mardy usually always wears some kind of tape on it the last few times I've seen him he has something on it
Maybe he just protect his wrist not injure again...and thats i hope so...

Deboogle!.
01-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Maybe he just protect his wrist not injure again...and thats i hope so...Yeah, I'm sure. But it just looks different than his wrap looked last year. Maybe he decided to stop wearing the sweat band over it :shrug:

Mardy is playing with an unmarked racquet :scratch:

Deboogle!.
01-02-2007, 01:31 PM
more pics :)

andyroddickfan03
01-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah most of the time he's wearing a sweatband over it. I know when I saw him for WTT he was.

andyroddickfan03
01-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh and that racket is a wilson lol zoom into the picture with them both going for the volley you can see the W on it

pieross
01-03-2007, 05:02 AM
had Mardy changed racket already?
I always believed that he is still with dunlop..

Jlee
01-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Wow, 6-1 6-3 over Dmitry? :yeah:

Deboogle!.
01-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Mardy beat Healey (who replaced flip) 7-5 7-5... too bad the US didn't win any matches but at least Mardy won 2 and has some confidence to go into Auckland, etc.

pieross
01-06-2007, 07:57 AM
ROBREDO, Tommy ESP v RAMIREZ HIDALGO, Ruben ESP
MONFILS, Gael FRA v MARTIN, Alberto ESP
KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER v HORNA, Luis PER
QUALIFIER v HRBATY, Dominik SVK

NIEMINEN, Jarkko FIN v ROCHUS, Olivier BEL
KING-TURNER, Daniel NZL v QUALIFIER
SERRA, Florent FRA v LAPENTTI, Nicolas ECU
DEL POTRO, Juan Martin ARG v CALLERI, Agustin ARG

WAWRINKA, Stanislas SUI v ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP
VLIEGEN, Kristof BEL v TIPSAREVIC, Janko SRB
BRACCIALI, Daniele ITA v SIMON, Gilles FRA
GAUDIO, Gaston ARG v FERRER, David ESP

FERRERO, Juan Carlos ESP v MASSU, Nicolas CHI
MAHUT, Nicolas FRA v CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG
QUALIFIER v FISH, Mardy USA
QUALIFIER v ANCIC, Mario CRO

the draw is soooo poor......
the 2nd r will meet Ancic...

Deboogle!.
01-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Gah, I swear, Mardy gets the worst draws ever.

Deboogle!.
01-11-2007, 02:02 AM
In Auckland, Mardy beat Kendrick, then beat Ancic 4 and 4! He will play Massu or Chela later today in the QF, they got backed up due to rain

PinkFeatherBoa
01-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Mardy! :hearts: Keep up the good play!

Deboogle!.
01-11-2007, 05:24 AM
:banana:

annutjuh
01-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Mardy beat Juan Ignacio Chela 7-6(3), 7-6(8)! :D

Deboogle!.
01-11-2007, 02:14 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: What a great win, those are the kinds of matches he usually loses

idolwatcher1
01-11-2007, 11:35 PM
If Mardy can get past Ljubicic in the first round (which I believe he can, but it's an "IF")... it's smooth sailing for him to get to his first slam quarterfinal where he would likely meet Andy (Roddick)! :)

PinkFeatherBoa
01-12-2007, 12:52 AM
It's a tough opener, but I agree that the rest of Mardy's draw (until Andy) looks pretty good. Hopefully if he keeps up his good form he'll have a good showing.

Good luck Mardy for the AO and for tonight (if it ever stops raining!)!

Deboogle!.
01-12-2007, 01:44 AM
WHY DOES MARDY GET THE WORST DRAWS IN HISTORY.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

pieross
01-12-2007, 04:33 AM
Good luck today Mardy!!!
Yesterday he win 2 tbs...that may help him have more confidents to gei in AO..
But AO draw is really terrible....

Deboogle!.
01-12-2007, 04:34 AM
It's not helping that the weather in Auckland is crappy and he had to play 2 matches yesterday and it may look like they'll get backed up again today.... not great :o

pieross
01-12-2007, 04:50 AM
OMG...the weather is soooooo bad in Auckland...
poor mardy...will the match delay to tomorrow?

pieross
01-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Mardy lost to Ferrer
0-6:mad: 6-4 1-6......:o :o
I think he choke again and again..

Deboogle!.
01-12-2007, 02:36 PM
oh dear :o what a way to ruin all the progress. sigh.

pieross
01-13-2007, 06:47 AM
pics of yesterday

pieross
01-15-2007, 05:16 AM
mardy lost 1st set by 4-6...
He was broken on the 9th game...
How foooooooooooolish!

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 05:19 AM
He's serving so poorly still. I don't understand why, after all these years, he can't serve more consistently. He holds so often serving like 40%, imagine if he could get his first serve consistently in!!! Gah :(

annutjuh
01-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Mardy won the second set 7-6 and is now 2-1 up and serving

pieross
01-15-2007, 07:42 AM
haahaahahah!!Mardy wins!!!
Mardy defeat Ljubicic 4-6 7-6(2) 6-4 6-3
itssssssssss a wonderful match!
I was watching it Live!Some of mardys plays are excellent!

pieross
01-15-2007, 07:47 AM
He's serving so poorly still. I don't understand why, after all these years, he can't serve more consistently. He holds so often serving like 40%, imagine if he could get his first serve consistently in!!! Gah :(
yep,the 1st set..i wonder whether that player is mardy..cos' the serve is so poor....
but luckly...on the rest of the match,the serve is getting better and better..

J. Corwin
01-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Mardy, what a win :worship:

cath777
01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Nice win, Mardy :yeah:

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Bravo Mr Fish :hatoff:

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm so thrilled for him I don't even know what to say!!

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 02:35 PM
:)

pieross
01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Thx...Deb
Mardy looks so coooooool and so goooood!:D :D

keep going MARDY!!!!! :woohoo::woohoo:

pieross
01-15-2007, 03:40 PM
add some another pics.....

chisey
01-15-2007, 04:03 PM
holy crap! I'm probably late for the celebration, but man, this is fantastic for Mardy! Way to go!

ataptc
01-15-2007, 04:13 PM
:yippee:

HEiKE
01-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Gosh, I haven't been on here for ages! :rolleyes:

Woo hoo!! Way to go, Mardy!! Well done and good luck against Mahut!! Kick butt!!

Btw, has anyone seen the match on telly?

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Mardy was in the commentary booth during Serena's match and they talked to him for a long time.

He said all kinds of stuff, how he has to be aggressive and come to the net and how everything starts with his serve

And he looks lovely :inlove:

tangerine_dream
01-16-2007, 02:30 AM
Wow, wow what a win for Mardy! :yippee:

From Different Directions, Americans Make Move
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY
January 16, 2007

MELBOURNE, Australia, Tuesday, Jan. 16 — They both produced upsets on the first day of the Australian Open, both made significant career moves, but the perspectives were hardly the same for the Americans Sam Querrey and Mardy Fish.

Querrey, at 19, is on his way up; Fish, at 25, is on his way back.

“You take it for granted the first time,” Fish said after his four-set victory over fourth-seeded Ivan Ljubicic on Monday. “Not anymore.”

In 2004, Fish soared into the top 20, following the lead of his childhood friend Andy Roddick, and ended up with the silver medal at the Summer Olympics and a regular spot on the United States Davis Cup team. Then came two operations on his left wrist that dropped him to a low of 341 in the rankings last February.

But Fish has steadily rebuilt his game and confidence with the help of his full-time coach Scott Humphries and part-time coach Todd Martin, the former finalist at the Australian Open and United States Open.

Fish has changed his once questionable work habits and also changed the grip and lowered the back swing on his formerly shaky forehand. “I played three matches in particular that I remember most where guys just hit every shot to my forehand; I wouldn’t see a backhand,” Fish said. “I was lost; I had no confidence whatsoever, and I needed to do something. Now it feels great. It feels just like another shot.”

Now, less than a month into a new season, he has already beaten two Croatian members of the top 10 : Mario Ancic on his way to the semifinals in Auckland, New Zealand and now Ljubicic, who has one of the best serves in the game if not a stellar record in Grand Slam tournaments (he has lost 15 times in the first round in 30 appearances).

“I played a lot of really good matches last year and was on the losing end of most all of them,” Fish said.

“I played a great match today,” Fish said of his 4-6, 7-6 (2), 6-4, 6-4 victory. “I knew I had to play well. I knew I had to serve well. I put myself in a position to win the match. I was real focused. Been working a lot with that, the mental side, with Todd.”

For Querrey, the teenager from Thousand Oaks, Calif., there has not yet been any downside to elite tennis, except perhaps missing out on the chance to attend the University of Southern California on a tennis scholarship. Until last year, that was his plan, but the rapid development of his game and the enthusiasm of agents and officials caused him to turn pro instead.

His 6-7 (2), 6-4, 6-1, 6-3 upset of the 27th-seeded Jose Acasuso of Argentina on Monday was the latest indication that Querrey made a fine decision. Acasuso is an unpredictable sort, still reeling from losing the decisive match against Russia’ s Marat Safin in December’s Davis Cup final in Moscow, a match that would have given Argentina its first title and guaranteed him celebrity status for life in his home country.

But Acasuso can still rip his gorgeous one-handed backhand with the best, and Querrey, all 6 feet 6 inches of him, showed resilience and intelligence in his first Australian Open match. He served big under pressure, pushing forward on multiple occasions, varying pace and trajectories with his forehand and chasing down Acasuso’s increasingly desperate shots with surprising agility.

Querrey looks like a farm hand, with his rawboned build and ruddy angular face, but he is pretty handy with a racket, too, and has benefited from plenty of private practice time with Roddick, most recently for several days in Hawaii before the Open.

“He gives me pointers nonstop, every changeover,” Querrey said of his practice matches with Roddick. “I like it. He’s always telling me what to do, where to hit the ball. It’s great.”

In Hawaii, he finally beat Roddick for the first time in many attempts in a best-of-three-set practice match, which according to Querrey, left Roddick shouting to onlookers nearby: “I can’t believe I lost a match to Sam Querrey.”

After they arrived in Melbourne, shortly after Roddick had beaten the world’s No. 1 player, Roger Federer, in the final of an exhibition tournament, Roddick spotted Querrey in the hotel lobby. “He said, ‘I can’t beat you in a practice match but I can beat Federer,’” Querrey said.

Roddick, who struggled but won here in four sets on Monday against the talented French wildcard Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, is clearly a good mentor, which is not a bad idea in an increasingly competitive tennis world where young Americans are hardly guaranteed of the same sort of success as their predecessors.

“He’s someone that I can always go to, always ask any questions, and he’ll always come up with an answer,” Fish said. “I haven’t maybe necessarily utilized him as much as I should have in the past year, but he’s always there.”

mishar
01-16-2007, 02:30 AM
Hurrah for Mardy! Make it to the QF!

mishar
01-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Great article. It's so nice to see the Americans helping each other out

Deboogle!.
01-16-2007, 05:26 AM
M. FISH/I. Ljubicic

4-6, 7-6, 6-4, 6-4

Q. When you got your hands over your head, what's going through your mind there?

MARDY FISH: Oh, I was pretty excited, to be honest with you. You know, I played a lot of really good matches last year, and was on the losing end of most all of them. I played a great match today. I knew I had to play well. I knew I had to serve well.

Put myself in a position to, you know, win the match. I was real focused. Been working a lot with that, the mental side, with Todd. All that stuff's paying off.

You know, I was just excited. I was just excited, you know, it was a great opportunity for me to play someone like him and show everybody that I can play, you know, that I'm back. My ranking doesn't show exactly how I'm playing. It does take time to get back up there from 350 in the world. I'm inching my way back.

Q. What does Todd say about closing out matches?

MARDY FISH: It's not so much closing out matches as, you know, staying focused, you know, matching my opponent's intensity level. I played a guy like Mario Ancic last week who is extremely tough mentally. If you can match his energy, he says, if you can match his energy, stay focused like he does, I think you'll have a pretty good shot at winning. Sure enough, I did.:haha:

Today was no different. I was real fired up out there. I think I let that show. I let Ivan know, you know, that I was here and I wanted to win. I wasn't just, you know, first-round walkover. He's good, man. I played him in 2003, at the beginning of the 2003. I've obviously seen him play on TV, but I haven't hit with him since. He's got a big serve. I was real impressed with his game.

If you don't dictate play with him, he's going to kill you, so...

Q. What does it say to you about yourself to beat a top player at a Slam, given everything you've gone through?

MARDY FISH: Yeah, I'm just happy. I'm just real happy that I could do it at a place -- at a big tournament like this. Playing last week, I played well last week, beat Mario. It's a great win for me.

Every tournament's big. But this is obviously bigger than last week. Beating guys three out of five sets, you know, in the top five, is awfully tough. Two out of three is obviously tough as well. It's tough to win three tough sets against someone like him.

Q. How did you react when you saw your draw, Ljubicic?

MARDY FISH: You know, I said, That's a tough draw, to be honest (smiling). That's a tough draw. I haven't been seeded in Grand Slams for a while - I think since 2004 US Open. I've had some pretty good draws, to be honest with you. I played some qualifiers, some guys ranked around in the 70s, 80s.

You know, I've had some good luck. I had that in the back of my head, as well. I knew eventually, you know, the luck of the draw was going to get me.

But, again, I saw it as an opportunity. I saw it -- I feel like I'm playing well. I feel like if I can have everything click, you know, starting with the serve, then having the forehand that I changed, hitting that well, anything can happen.

You know, a combination of getting a little bit of luck there in each of the third and fourth sets, getting some breaks, just trying to put a lot of returns in play. I got a little lucky.

Q. What have you learned about yourself through this process of rebuilding your game?

MARDY FISH: Well, I mean, it was a long -- I kind of think back to 2005, end of the year, you know, after the US Open when I got my second surgery. That was tough. The first one was a couple months. You know, everybody gets it. Not everybody gets surgery, but everybody is out for that particular amount of time. It's not every time you have to have two surgeries on the same thing. That was tough mentally. It was real tough.

Took a little bit of time off after that second surgery to maybe find myself, I guess, figure out exactly what I needed to do, set out a plan. The only good thing about that was that I had a timetable. I knew exactly when I was going to get back. I knew I had a tournament, you know, a goal.

I worked really hard. I stayed on top of my fitness off the court a lot. I didn't practice all that much on the court because I was real limited to what I could have done. I worked real hard off the court with Pat Etcheberry. I've continued to do that throughout. Watched James have that great year in 2005, coming back from what he came back from. Kind of wanted to follow in his footsteps. He finished 20 in the world, and I finished 47.

I thought it was a good year. A little unlucky to have it come after James' year. You know, I found just persistence. Todd and I worked real hard in the off-season. I went up there by myself and worked with him for a couple weeks. Changed my forehand completely. That's helped a lot.

Q. What do you mean? You don't think you got the credit you deserved?

MARDY FISH: I don't know necessarily that. Just personally, it kind of takes away. I felt like maybe I took away from myself a little bit of what I did. It was my goal going in to try to win the comeback player of the year.:hug:

I figured that if I could do that, that meant that I'd done something. I don't know, I didn't really care about the respect, getting the respect back necessarily, but convincing myself that I had a good year.

We all want to do just as good as James does, just as good as Andy's doing. He's a great model of persistence, what we can strive to get to. I mean, he's playing unbelievable tennis, as you all know. We're real happy for him. It's great.

Q. It's not that easy to change a stroke completely when you've been playing one way for a long time. Why did you decide to do it and how quickly did it come?

MARDY FISH: Because the forehand was terrible, first (smiling). I played guys -- played a few guys, I won't name names, but I played three matches in particular that I remember most that just hit every shot to my forehand. I wouldn't see a backhand. I was frustrated.

I knew that it was something I needed to change. The first day that Todd came down to Tampa, the first day I was back practicing -- I took two weeks off, started again -- and the first day I was back, I said, Can we change it? Can we do something?

He's like, Okay, let's do it. From then on -- I think that was middle of November -- so from then on, we've been working on it every day, with Scott every day here.:yeah:

You know, it feels great. It felt great from the first day. From the first day, I thought it was better. I thought, Okay, I can go out and play right now and it's still going to be better.

Q. It's a grip change?

MARDY FISH: It's a grip change and the take-back change. Take it back lower. It was lost. I was lost. I had no confidence whatsoever, and I needed to do something.

Now it feels great. It feels just like another shot. Feels like I can hit winners off of it. It feels great.

Q. It's more low to high now?

MARDY FISH: Yeah. I didn't have much trouble with the low balls off maybe a slice, because I have to get under it. I have to go. It's the high balls that I had no pace. I just lost complete confidence in it.

Now every shot is low to high. It's funny, because my dad always taught me that when I was 10 years old: Look through your strengths. That's what I'm doing now.

Q. The opening game break, you finished that off with a forehand?

MARDY FISH: Yes. The fourth set?

Q. Yes.

MARDY FISH: Yes. I knew today, I had to -- if Ivan gets initiative, takes initiative, you're toast. I felt like I was hitting my shots deep. My shots were penetrating real well.

He's the kind of guy that if you have an opening on his serve, you have to take it, you have to be aggressive. That was my mindset.

Q. It's been a while since we could say six American men on one side of a draw during a Slam.

MARDY FISH: Yeah, it's been a while. Andy and James are definitely doing their part. The Bryan brothers are definitely doing their part. I'd like to say that I'm taking my sweet old time to get back up there, inching my way.

It would be nice to have one -- obviously take it one at a time. It would be nice to have one big result to get from 40 to 20 or whatever, really get back up there.

Q. Did Andy say, Thanks for knocking Ljubicic out of my quarter?

MARDY FISH: I haven't seen him yet, but I'm sure he will (smiling).:haha:

Q. How much has he been helping you emotionally through this period of time?

MARDY FISH: Andy?

Q. Yes.

MARDY FISH: He's a great friend. When we get around each other, we tend to talk more tennis than not because, you know, he loves tennis. There's some guys out here that don't watch tennis. I don't think James watches much tennis at all when he's away from the game. He watches it here, watches us play, watches his buddies play. But I don't think he watches much tennis. Obviously, he loves the game, whatever. :D

Andy and I love tennis. When it's on, I watch it every time. Women's tennis, whatever, I watch it. We talk more tennis than you think. He's just a good friend. He's someone that I can always go to, always ask any question, and he'll always come up with an answer.:hug:

You know, I haven't maybe necessarily utilized him as much as I should have in the past year, but he's always there. He's always there to lean on.:D

Q. Do you think that was a big mental win for him over Federer the other day, or do you throw it out because it's an XO?

MARDY FISH: No, I don't think you throw it out. I watched it. It was a little windy. No, you definitely take that. Maybe if they play here, he gets up early, he can remember stuff that he did. They were both trying.

Roger, he doesn't want too lose, even if it's an exhibition. He definitely doesn't want to lose. Maybe he wasn't taking it completely as this week. But he doesn't want to lose, for sure.

tangerine_dream
01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Had some time to finally read the scoring thread for Ivan-Mardy. :haha: I enjoyed every minute of it:

Ducky Fish couldn't touch Ljubicic's serve with racquet that had head size of 100ft
IvanLjubicic I think Fish has the lowest 1st serve % of anyone in the top 100. He is always around the 40 % mark
Ducky How did Fish beat Ancic last week?
Ducky Ivan is serving much better here..than in Doha...speed wise...
bad gambler Ljubo just yawned in between the last point, guy is in cruise control
Grinder Ljubo's really improved his forehand this year, it's huge and consistent nowadays.
Ducky Ljubicic goes from 40-0 to 40-40
Ducky good thing is Fish is terrible :lol:
Ducky got to win those 2nd serves...Fish cant put in a 1st to save his life.
Mistaflava Wow, Fish doesn't look all that bad...
Swisha fish is not moving great either .. ivan is still in this..
Ducky Fish needs to miss some 1st serves :mad:
Diegz Ljubo in bad form... really bad...
Diegz bad bad bad ljubo.... lot of people gonna cry today...
croat123 dammit
fish has come up with aces on a couple of big points now
Sutti Ljubicic and grand slams...:o
sigmagirl91 And Ivan serves
0-15
0-30. What was that again about "this game gives me hope he can break in the fourth?" He can't even hold in the fourth.
15-30
30-30...if Ivan continues to play like this, he'll be catching a red-eye flight outta Oz.
30-40....I love trash talk...it makes me feel sexy.
Deuce
AD Fish
Deuce
AD Fish
Fish breaks....now let's see if Ivan can break back!!
croat123 yup, broken
that's all folks
good night :wavey:
Ducky bp Ivan :)
Ducky saved :mad:
Ducky Ivan is missing way too many 2nd on return
bad gambler Can Ljubo play any worse?
Swisha i guess not..i don t know if i he was bothered or handicapped.. if not he looked like he couldnt care less.. awful performance especially last 2 sets
Bilbo it will be a funny aftermatch thread with ljubo fans
matulci ljubo sucks
Ducky well that was quick....
croat123 fish really didn't have to do much. sprem would have beaten ljubo today :o
Ducky Ivan is fine after the lose...he's already forgotten about it and he will be ready to defend the Zagreb title.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
LMGDFAO tangy. Bored much!?!?

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 04:00 AM
Mardy beat Mahut in 4!! into the 3rd round!!!!!!!!!

surfpinky
01-17-2007, 04:11 AM
MARDY FISH IS A WINNER !!!!!!!!
lkjsdlkfj

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 04:12 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT He sure is!!!

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Interview! :banana:
http://www.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=393768

pieross
01-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Thx DEB.....

MARDY/Delic are playing against Arthus/Luczak on the 13th court..
Mardy/Delic win the first set 7-5

annutjuh
01-18-2007, 07:20 AM
and they won the match 7-5 6-3

pieross
01-18-2007, 07:26 AM
yep,Mardy/Delic 7-5 6-3 def Arthurs/Luczak...

and get into the 2nd r!

tomorrow Mardy will meet Arthurs again in the men's single 3rd r....

chisey
01-19-2007, 01:03 AM
those interviews are fantastic, thank you for posting them. I hope that Mardy can keep going. I love a comeback :D

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Well Mardy made the 4th round for the first time ever in a slam because Arthurs hurt himself. It was awful and so sad, but I'm so happy for Mardy

surfpinky
01-19-2007, 09:58 AM
MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dsf

J. Corwin
01-19-2007, 10:32 AM
poor wayno, what a way to end his career :sad:

lucky mardy :cool:

renee_chin
01-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Poor Arthurs :sad: What an unfortunate way for him to be out of his last AO...

But yay for Mardy! Hopefully this is the beginning of something great for him :D

pieross
01-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Poor Arthurs...
but good luck mardy..its the first time to get in 4th r...
he will face Ferrer in the 4th r...
Last week Mardy lost to Ferrer and end the match in Auckland...

chisey
01-19-2007, 07:25 PM
yikes, I hadn't realized Arthurs hurt himself. Poor guy, what a way to end it all.

Although, really, considering everything (wrist surgeries, and didn't he get the flu or something during Wimbledon?), Mardy was kind of due some good luck, right?

HEiKE
01-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Woo hoo! Way to go, Mardy! I'm really happy he's doing a great job! :) Though I'm sorry for Wayne...

Deboogle!.
01-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Although, really, considering everything (wrist surgeries, and didn't he get the flu or something during Wimbledon?), Mardy was kind of due some good luck, right?Yes, and Yes. :D

knight_ley
01-20-2007, 01:42 AM
I would like to contribue with a :woohoo:!

Deboogle!.
01-20-2007, 03:58 AM
M. FISH/W. Arthurs
3‑0 (ret.)

Q. Sweet and sour?

Yeah, it's a tough way to end. This is a real big tournament for him. We have been friends for quite some time out here, joking around a lot. He's one of the better guys you'll meet out on the road. It's tough. I was shocked. I had no idea that he was hurting. You know, it's a tough way to end it all.

Q. When did you notice he was first in trouble?

Well, I felt like something was weird when he came back from the injury and didn't want to hit any serves. He didn't warm up his serve. I felt like that was a little weird. But I still had no clue what was wrong. Maybe his arm. I thought maybe his arm. I didn't think anything. He hit his first serve. I was shocked at how slow it was compared to his normal serve. I don't think I missed a return on a first serve. Felt weird on his leg. I think it was his right leg. I just tried to put as many balls in. I didn't know what was going on. I just tried to put in as many balls in the court, then figure out what was wrong, so...

Q. Did you see him staggering at all in the first service game?

Absolutely, yeah. You want to try to focus as much as you can. I was well aware that something was seriously wrong.

Q. How tough was it to go through the motions?

Yeah, I mean, I didn't know if he was in pain. I didn't know. I didn't hear anything. Usually you don't hear about a guy's injury until you go on. I had to do what I had to. I've got to try to win. I had to try to keep my mind on, Okay, he's probably going to keep playing. It was drizzling like slightly. I thought, Maybe if it rains, he can come back. I was keeping my mind that I still was going to have to play.

Q. What did you say to him at the end?

I just said, I'm sorry, man. Not supposed to be that way. I didn't know. I talked to him a little bit in there. He said, You're never going to believe what happened. I said, What happened? He said, I'll tell you later. He walked out.

Q. Is it a bit of a flat feeling or are you thinking you're in the fourth round?

It really is, to be honest with you. I mean, I'll take it. All things aside, I'll take it for sure. I was out 10 months of '05. I've had a little bit of bad luck. It's nice to get a little bit of good luck. It does feel like I didn't really earn my way in. But, again, I'll take it.

Q. In that third game, did you hit a couple of balls to him?

Not on purpose. I mean, again, I didn't know what was wrong.I didn't know like how serious it was. I didn't know if he couldn't ‑‑ I assume if I hit one right to him, he could just try to slap a winner. I didn't know how bad it was. I didn't know if he could move at all, if he could just move a little bit. I tried to put the ball away from him as much as I could. It turned out he couldn't move a step.

Q. You didn't need to prove it today, but you're serving well in this tournament. Can you explain how you do that?

I mean, my serve has been a pretty integral part of my game since I started. When I serve well, I've had some real good tournaments where I've served real well. I served real well at the Olympics. I served real well in Cincinnati in 2003. Everything kind of flows with my game, works with my game if I serve well. I like to get to the net. I use it kind of as a tool to get forward as much as I can, whether it be serve and volley, whether it be off the first ball. Serve is a major part of my game. I've been trying to work on more of a high percentage of making first serves in than I have been in the past.:scratch: That's what my coach, Todd Martin, and I have been working on a lot. It feels good.

Q. Does the surface have any influence?

I mean, it helps I think on the second serve. It's a little bit quicker than it used to be. Ball moves through a little bit. Yeah, it helps. It's not a slow hard court. It definitely helps your serve.

Q. Not the way you want to get into the fourth round, but can you talk about your potential matchups?

Yeah, I didn't even know who I was going to play in the next round. You kind of look at the first couple, first round or two, see. In this case I don't think I looked very far past the first round in Ljubicic. Once you get past that, you see ‑‑ went to the ESPN studios after my first match, Fowler showed me exactly what my draw was. I knew through the third round. I didn't know until someone told me Ferrer and Stepanek. I saw Stepanek won the first set. I never played him before. I have played Ferrer four times. We're 2‑2. I won the first two, and he's won the last two. Definitely a tough match‑up for me, Ferrer. I feel like Stepanek and I play the same game styles. We both rely on our backhands, our serves, both want to get to the net as much as we can.

Q. What was the surface like? Was it slippery at all because of the drizzly rain?

It wasn't. It wasn't coming down hard. It was just I didn't know if he would keep going because it was drizzling a little bit. I didn't know. He couldn't move, so I didn't really know what he was waiting for. Maybe he was waiting if it would hopefully rain and he would feel better. It wasn't slippery enough to not play.

Q. You finished up and practiced a little?

I just hit. Just practiced some. Worked on some volleys and stuff. I'm playing doubles tomorrow, too. Get a little more practice tomorrow.

Q. How long did you hit for after?

45 minutes.

Q. Did you have anything to say yesterday to Wayne after doubles?

I said, I'll see you tomorrow at the handshake. That's about it.

Deboogle!.
01-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Fish hoping quick start in '07 is an omen
By Matt Wilansky
ESPN.com

Just as quickly as Mardy Fish climbed his way up the ATP ladder, he all but disappeared. A slew of injuries derailed his progress for a good portion of two years. In the second half of the 2004 season and through most of 2005, Fish spent as much time off the court healing as he did on it.

But that was two years ago. And now, for the first time since 2003, the American is hoping to get through an entire season healthy. If he is able to stay injury-free, Fish could very well get his ranking back to where it was three years ago, in the top 20.

Currently at the Australian Open, and thanks in part to Wayne Arthurs, who retired down 0-3 in the first set of their Thursday third-round match, Fish has reached his first career round-of-16 appearance in a Grand Slam.

"It's about time some luck was on his side. After all that Fish has gone through, he deserved that break," said ESPN tennis analyst Luke Jensen. Fish's next opponent is David Ferrer, the No. 16 seed from Spain. All indications favor Fish. Ferrer is coming off a five-set win over Radek Stepanek, a match in which he had to climb back from a two-set deficit. Said Jensen, "Fish has a decisive advantage because the surface here is playing quicker. He'll go into that match with fresh legs, unlike his opponent."

Don't think Fish has had a cakewalk in Melbourne, though. His first-round opponent was the bald-headed, big-hitting Ivan Ljubicic, the No. 4 seed. After dropping the first set, Fish won the next three, sending the Croat home a lot sooner than expected. As it stands now, Fish is responsible for the only elimination of a top-10 player from the Australian Open.

Fish made his pro debut in 2000, but spent the majority of his time in tennis' version of the minor leagues, playing in the Futures circuits and Challenger tournaments. It took him three years before he finally had a breakthrough. In 2003, Fish's game noticeably reached new heights and he won his first career title in Stockholm. He was also the only player to take a set off Roger Federer at Wimbledon that season before the Swiss upended him in the third round.

But for all of Fish's accomplishments that season, he played second fiddle to a more celebrated duo of young Americans -- Andy Roddick and James Blake. In 2003, Roddick-mania took center stage when he won the U.S. Open and then finished the season as the world's top-ranked player. He frequented magazine covers and his off-the-court activities were covered heavily by the media.

Fish didn't care, though; life on the ATP Tour was good. Said Jensen, "He was just a guy who wanted to win. He had a big-time game and top-notch talent." Fish reached his first Masters Series final that year. He held two match points versus good buddy Roddick until succumbing in a third-set tiebreaker.

Unfortunately for him, though, Fish's career took an unexpected turn. In 2004, the injury bug hit, derailing his progress. He was sidelined for seven weeks with hip tendinitis.

"It's unfortunate that his injuries came at such a bad time," said Jensen. "He was making huge strides, not just in 2003, but in 2004 in Athens. Remember, he was a silver medalist at the Olympics that year." Fish took Nicolas Massu into the fifth set but was unable to put the match away and take home the gold.

In 2005, a wrist injury forced the American to miss all but three tournaments after the French Open. Fish saw his ranking plummet to No. 227. "That was a low point in his career. He had worked so hard to get to where he was. He was quickly becoming a legitimate threat on tour. The timing couldn't have been worse," said Jensen.

Fish began his comeback in 2006. He was awarded a wild card into the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships in April and promptly won, defeating Austrian Jurgen Melzer in the final.

"I wasn't surprised he could win a title, but I was shocked he was able to do it on that surface," said Jensen. "Fish was relentless in his pursuit to get back. I am not at all surprised he was able to get back and be successful. Coming back after missing so much time is difficult for anyone, especially when you're in the prime of your career and so much time is spent rehabbing. Fish worked his tail off, though."

By year's end, Fish's ranking had leaped 80 spots. And this season, he's off to a balmy start. He reached the semifinals of Auckland last week before making his current run at the Australian Open.

"Yeah, I'm just happy. I'm just real happy that I could do it at a place -- at a big tournament like this," Fish told reporters after upsetting Ljubicic. "I saw it as an opportunity. I feel like I'm playing well. I feel like if I can have everything click, you know, starting with the serve, then having the forehand that I changed, hitting that well, anything can happen."

Said Jensen, "The sky's the limit for this guy. Remember, he has something to prove, much like Peyton Manning and the Colts do, and that is a huge motivational factor."

chisey
01-21-2007, 01:05 AM
It seems it's not the thing to post during-match here, but I just checked on the score at the AO website, and Mardy's doing really well, up 5-1 :D It's great!

nkhera1
01-21-2007, 01:22 AM
What will Fish's ranking be if he wins against Ferrer? Does anyone know how many points he gets?

chisey
01-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Well, I don't really know much how the rankings things work, but if he beats Ferrer he'll be through to the quarters, right? And I poked around the ATP website until I found someone who had made it to the quarters of the Australian Open, and they were listed as getting 250 points for it, so my guess would be 250. The ATP website lists him as having 841 points now, so that would be quite a boost, I'd think.

But now I feel like I'm jinxing him thinking about it >< *bites nails*

Deboogle!.
01-21-2007, 03:17 AM
Mardy beat Ferrer in 4 sets. HELL FUCKING YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SLAM OF A QF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeahhh!
01-21-2007, 03:18 AM
Hi:wavey:
just wanted to say I am extremely happy he won:aparty: :bounce: :banana:

idolwatcher1
01-21-2007, 03:19 AM
If Mardy can get past Ljubicic in the first round (which I believe he can, but it's an "IF")... it's smooth sailing for him to get to his first slam quarterfinal where he would likely meet Andy (Roddick)! :)
:angel:

WTG Mardy!! :D Into his first slam QF where he's awaiting Roddick?

Grinder
01-21-2007, 03:19 AM
:eek:

MARDY TO THE QUARTERFINALS!!!!!
:woohoo:

chisey
01-21-2007, 03:26 AM
YAY!!:D :D :D

Now Andy just needs to do his part to make my dream quarterfinals.

Congrats, Mardy!!

pieross
01-21-2007, 03:30 AM
:bigclap: :bigclap: :banana: :banana: :banana: yeahhhhhh!C'mon Mardy!!!!!
Great win!!!its hard to believe that!!!!!

darnyelb
01-21-2007, 03:44 AM
never ventured into this forum, but hell yeah, Fish in the last 8!

Deboogle!.
01-21-2007, 04:29 AM
i really hate that mardy has to play andy now :sad:

pieross
01-21-2007, 06:33 AM
I hate the draw,too...
Yesterday James met Robby I hated the draw much....now i hate the draw at all..

Pammy
01-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Me too, it will be an emotional match for them and for us:sad: .

HEiKE
01-21-2007, 01:34 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Yay!! Way to go Mardy!! I'm super excited and proud he won and made it to QF!!

:bigclap: :yippee: :bigclap: :yippee:

chisey
01-21-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't know, personally I like it when two players I like play each other. That way, whichever way it ends up I can be happy for the winner. Especially since getting to the semis will be an improvement on last year for either player.

Of course I'll admit that I'd rather Andy win in this situation since I want him to eventually beat Federer. But, if he has to lose before he gets to Federer, I'd rather it be to Mardy than anyone else he's faced so far.

So really I'm just hoping that it's a good match all around, and that they say nice things about each other in post-match interviews.

And no matter what happens, I'm really glad Mardy got to the quarters :D

ataptc
01-21-2007, 01:56 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:
Exactly. But I'm happy for the both of them so far! :)

Deboogle!.
01-21-2007, 02:06 PM
M. FISH/D. Ferrer
6‑1, 7‑6, 2‑6, 7‑5

An interview with:
MARDY FISH

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Must be nice to get through tight spots like that. Up and down.

MARDY FISH: Yeah, he's a tough, tough player. I've lost to him the last two times we played. We've played in some pretty big matches, but none like that. It was nice to win that one.

I played him last week in Auckland. Was pretty fatigued after having played two matches the day before, then coming back the next day to play him was tough. I think it played a pretty big part on the fact I haven't logged too much court time, to be able to stick with him like that.

Q. Feel overdue to be in the last eight of a major finally?

MARDY FISH: I don't know. I mean, maybe. I feel like I played some pretty good tennis in 2003, 2004, last year. I mean, the good news of playing the fourth seed in a first round, if you beat him, the draw is going to open up, give you the chance to play someone like Ferrer, who is obviously a great player, but not someone in the top five in the fourth round. You take advantage when you can.

Q. How did this match not get away from you? You were in the driver's seat, controlling well. He digs back in.

MARDY FISH: Yeah, I stuck with it. I went into the match thinking if I could hold serve every time, I felt like I would win the match in straight sets. I didn't lose serve until the third set. I was up two sets to love.

Felt pretty confident there in the fourth, up a break, serving and hitting the ball pretty well. Missed a pretty easy forehand at 30‑15 right before we stopped at the rain. That was a little frustrating. Eventually lost that game. I knew there was that one side, the one side with the wind, without the sun, when it was sunny, was the best side to win the games on. I knew if I kept holding serve, even though I lost serve there, we were still on serve, if I could keep holding serve, get him on that side one more time, see what happens. Sure enough I hit a return winner on the first point, played a couple good points. He missed some shots he didn't normally do. Got a little tight there. Took advantage.

Q. You and Andy go back a long way. You've never met at this stage of a major.

MARDY FISH: Yeah, that would be pretty special. Guys were asking me in there who would I rather play. I think I'd rather play Andy. I think just growing up, we've kind of dreamt about, talked about playing in the quarterfinals, finals, whatever, of Slams, big tournaments and stuff. That would be pretty special. I'm sure he would say the exact same thing.

Q. How does this compare to the silver medal at the Olympics?

MARDY FISH: If you said, What would you rather have, quarterfinals of Australian Open or silver medalist for your country? I'd say silver medal. But apart from that, playing Davis Cup, it's right up there.

Q. Talk about some of your mental work with Todd. Seems to be working out pretty well for you.

MARDY FISH: That was one of the main focuses of our off‑season, apart from the forehand, was to try to find maybe a happy medium on the court, try to find your place where you can go, relax. Scott does a great job as well here when he's in our corner. He's always positive.

We sat down for quite some time and logged a lot of time off the court talking about different situations in matches, in tournaments, in games, in points and stuff, about not only playing the points but in between points and stuff like that. We spent quite a lot of time, more time than we ever have, this off‑season talking about that.

Q. How many sets do you think you and Andy have played total, including practice sets as kids?

MARDY FISH: That's tough. We've played a lot. I don't know maybe sets. We've practiced sessions. We've logged a lot of time. I was 17, he was 16, through till we were about ‑‑ I was two or three straight years there, we would practice every day.

Q. What would you have to improve to win a Slam?

MARDY FISH: I think there's that big hurdle of Mr. Federer, first of all, trying to beat him. I feel like I can beat anybody if I play well, if I serve well. I've never been in this situation in a Slam before. You kind of feel like, and guys have said, other guys who are here consistently or guys in the quarters consistently, like Andy, just put yourself in the second week and anything can happen. It's only three matches away. That's not at the forefront of my mind by any means.

But, you know, it's nice to be in that situation, in that environment, to be able to play these types of matches. It's different. It's something that you work hard to try to accomplish. I mean, these are the tournaments you want to do well at.

Q. Todd is a pretty cerebral guy, pretty intense. You're pretty laid back. How does that work?

MARDY FISH: Yeah, we have completely different personalities. But I think, you know, I kind of maybe fire him up a little and he brings me down a little. Not "brings me down," but bringing my fieriness down a little bit (smiling).

Like I said before, he's a great tennis mind. Even when he was playing and I was playing, he was someone you could go to, he was always there for all the young guys coming up to ask any questions. I mean, I feel like I have an invaluable source where I can just call him up, like I do every morning here, it's in the afternoon there, and I can talk to him about, okay, the wind was like this, I was playing this guy. He just stopped not that long ago, so he's played Ferrer, he's played Andy, he's played Ancic. He's played all these guys not that long ago.

I feel like we have similar styles of play. We both like to use our serve as a tool to get to the net. We both want to get to the net as much as we can. He brings the aspect of thinking on the court a little bit more to me. He also brings the hard work to me. I might bring a little bit more shot‑making than he had, but he was a lot smarter than me when he played. It's a great mix. It's invaluable to be able to call him up and say, I play Ferrer today, what should I do? He's got a hundred things to tell me about. He talks a lot.

Q. What is separating you and Andy?

MARDY FISH: Well, Andy's battle‑tested. Andy's played a lot of these types of matches before. He's got an enormous serve. He's got one of the biggest forehands in the game. We play different. We both try to serve big and use our serves in our games. I mean, I try to get to the net. He likes to stay back. It's a fun contrast to play because my backhand is better, his forehand is better. I'll try to exploit his backhand; he'll try to exploit my forehand.

We've played four or five times. Two of them have been 7‑6 in the third. The other ones we played I think six tiebreakers out of 12 or whatever. We've had a lot of great matches even on tour.

Q. For you it's stepping up on the big points?

MARDY FISH: I mean, he's real intense. No one out here really wants it more. You can tell when he's playing. He's a fiery guy, very feisty, hates to lose like everybody else. Everybody hates to lose. But he takes it to another level. His brother John, they're a great mix because they're ‑‑ John is the exact same way. They just hate to lose. That's kind of cliché, but it's really true with Andy. He just works his butt off. He's worked his butt off to get to where he is. He deserves all the credit.

Q. Do you have to get in his face, match his intensity?

MARDY FISH: Absolutely, absolutely. That's no different than how we've been playing. We were more like brothers when we were growing up than best friends anyways. We fought all the time. We've always been friends. I'll always be friends with Andy regardless of what happens on a tennis court. He knows I want to win just as bad as he wants to win. Whatever is said or whatever happens on the tennis court, we'll always be friends. We'll always leave it on the court. It's not a problem.

Q. Have you practiced at all since you've been down here?

MARDY FISH: Down here, no. I played doubles. John called me one day, but I played doubles that day. Otherwise we would have hit. We haven't hit.

ataptc
01-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Looking forward to their matchup! I hope it doesn't disappoint! :)

:tOMMYbOY:
01-23-2007, 03:50 AM
great article. not off to a great start against andy. down 2 breaks :(

jeahhh!
01-23-2007, 05:14 AM
:bigcry: poor Mardy That was just awful

ataptc
01-23-2007, 06:11 AM
I wish he could have put up more of a fight

pieross
01-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Poor Mardy...
I hope his didnt got some physical problem in the match...
Cos' he looks lack of energy on the court

anyway...Tomorrow is another day...Still stand for Mardy!

Deboogle!.
01-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I wish he could have put up more of a fightMe too :( I think he was fine physically, just not able to play good tennis :(

A. RODDICK/M. Fish

6-2, 6-2, 6-2

An interview with:

MARDY FISH

THE MODERATOR: First question, please.

Q. Mardy, take us through what happened.

MARDY FISH: Yeah, started out I guess pretty flat. You know, real nervous obviously, which I thought was to be expected. It felt real different out there. I never played on that court before. Never even walked out on that court before. It felt real different.

You know, two breaks in each set before I even knew what was going on. I got one break there back in the second set, thought maybe, Okay, this is when the rhythm of my serve is going to start coming back.

You know, I felt like I was coming to the net good, getting good looks at volleys and stuff. He played real well. He's been playing great lately. Obviously it's a lot of pressure on your serve games when he serves that well, because he's going to hold most of the time.

You kind of feel like every time you walk out there, not unlike Ljubicic, where it just felt like, If I lose my serve, I'm going to lose the set almost.

He played well from the beginning. I don't know if I was flat. I tried changing things up a little bit. Maybe coming in off seconds, you know, serving and volleying, staying back, trying to take the first ball. Didn't really feel like anything was working.

Q. You know Andy so well. Do you feel a Jimmy Connors' effect in his game?

MARDY FISH: Yeah. I mean, I feel like -- I mean, today is the best I've ever played against him. For him, it all starts with the serve. If he's serving well, again, he just puts so much pressure on you to hold. You start pressing, start thinking, Okay, if I'm down 15-30 here, this is a huge point, I better make the first serve. You miss the first serve.

He's hitting his backhand well. You know what he's doing well, he's really passing well. I don't think he missed very many passing shots. He just made me hit tough volleys almost every time. I made a couple. I hit a couple back to him. I missed a couple. You know, he just puts a lot of pressure on you that way.

Q. Besides the serve, do you feel him putting pressure on you at other points in the game?

MARDY FISH: Yeah, you kind of feel like, uhm, you know, maybe he's looking to attack on that second serve, which wasn't the case before. You could kind of spin the serve in, you know, start the point from there. You know, he's using his slice real well to kind of make the points a little bit longer.

He knows I'm the type of person that wants to make the points short, want to get to the net on the first ball if I can. He just slices that kind of nothing ball deep where I have to generate all the pace. That was something he wasn't using as much. I don't know if Jimmy has done a lot of that.

I mean, you just see it in his confidence level as well. Maybe not necessarily in his game, but you feel like he's on a mission almost, you know, to get back to the top.

I didn't give him much I don't feel like, but he came up with every answer that I gave him today.

Q. The way Andy is playing, do you think he can go all the way this year?

MARDY FISH: Absolutely. Roger doesn't like to lose, even in exhibitions. Andy won that Kooyong thing. They've played tight matches before. Finals of the US Open was pretty close. A tight four-setter. He definitely can win the tournament. I mean, you know, if Roger gets by tonight, it will be a pretty interesting

visit our archives at www.asapsports.com M. Fish - 23.01.07

match.

Q. What did you talk about up at the net when it was all over?

MARDY FISH: Not much, to be honest with you. I wasn't too talkative. I just said, Great playing, good luck. He said, Thanks.

Q. Before we didn't give too much importance to the coach. Now sometimes you have the impression even players give maybe too much importance to the coach. What is the right size? How important is Martin for you? How important is Connors for Roddick?

MARDY FISH: I think, for one, speaking maybe on Andy's behalf, he's just real confident. It's not something that he uses on the court necessarily. Jimmy's in his corner. That's a pretty big tennis mind to have in your corner. I'm sure he's giving him lots of stuff.

I speak for myself, Todd Martin has been a huge aspect of my tennis so far this year. Kind of scratch 2005. Worked our way back the best we could last year into the top 50. He knows a lot.

Yeah, there's only so much that they can do. We got to get out there and play. Someone like Brad Gilbert, for instance, I think is a great strategic coach, knows other people's games really well, gives Andy Murray a real good scouting report. I think Jimmy I'm sure does that just as good. I know Todd does it real well, too.

Q. What is it going to take? This is your first time at this level. What is it going to take for you to build on this and come back strong, do better the next time?

MARDY FISH: I think it helps to be seeded in some of these tournaments now, not to run into someone like Ljubicic in the first round would help. You know, just build on the year so far. I've won quite a few matches so far this year, including Hopman Cup. Won a couple matches there. Thought that was a great start to the year.

To get three matches under my belt before going to Auckland. Making the semis there, losing in three sets to Ferrer. Beating him here. Winning three or four matches here. It's going to help to build. I don't have anything to defend until Houston, which is in April. It's a great opportunity for me right now, and I'm well aware of it. 2

Q. You know Andy really well. I know he's played Roger tough last couple times. He goes into the match 1-12 against a guy. Can he really go out there with a lot of confidence?

MARDY FISH: I mean, I think now more so than ever he will. Knowing that you can take sets off a guy, knowing that you can play with a guy. With his serve, if he serves well, I think in my opinion he's got a real good shot.

Roger is Roger. I can go on and on talking about him, how good he is. Obviously it's a huge mountain to climb. To beat him in a Grand Slam, three out of five... Two out of three would be easier, if that's even a good term for it.

You know, a stage like this, I think Andy likes these courts a lot. These courts, they're playing pretty quick this year. I was able to serve and volley pretty much my way to the quarters. This surface is going to help his serve a lot against him. I think that's big.

Q. You mentioned you considered Andy like a brother. Does that make it easier or harder?

MARDY FISH: I'm sure we prefer to not play each other. Maybe we'd prefer to play each other in the final. We've had some real good matches. This one was probably the most lopsided match we've ever had. It's ironic it comes on one of the biggest stages we've played on.

We played a lot of great sets, even on tour, tiebreakers. It's a little bit tougher to play friends. You want to get fired up out there. I'm sure Andy's obviously stoked to make the semis, but he didn't show much emotion. I'm sure that was because -- I don't know if he felt bad for the way I was playing.

You know, he didn't want to show me up or something. It's not that he shows up other players, but he'll show a lot more emotion if he's not that close to someone else. That makes it a little tougher. Maybe you're not as fired up about beating a guy as you normally would be.

Q. What happens next? Do you have the kind of relationship where you two can have a laugh about it, or will it become the match that doesn't get mentioned for a couple of months?

MARDY FISH: No, I mean, we won't talk about the match. We talk about what 25-year-olds talk about, I guess. We never really talk about tennis until right before. We had a joke or two right before we were walking out on the court, then it's business. We're both professionals.

I can easily sit here and lose 2-2-2 and not mention anything about how I played and talk

visit our archives at www.asapsports.com M. Fish - 23.01.07

about how great he played, because he did play a great match. Everything that I tried to do, tried to change, tried to come up with, he came up with better shots, so...

Q. In terms of confidence, do you put more stock into Andy getting close to beating Roger in Shanghai or the XO?

MARDY FISH: I think Shanghai. He had match points in the second set, right? That's one of the biggest stages we have out here. He played him tough. I mean, he's played him tough the past few times he's played.

Who knows, maybe I'm making too much of the XO. Maybe people are making too much of the XO. Or maybe we're not. Maybe that was one of the steps mentally that he had to get over to take him out in one of these tournaments.

Q. What kind of respect do you have for the wheelchair tennis here in Melbourne Park?

MARDY FISH: I haven't seen much. When is it on?

Q. From Thursday.

MARDY FISH: Today is Tuesday. I might be gone by tomorrow. But I would watch if I could.

Q. Will you talk to Andy or make him buy you dinner or will it take a couple days for this thing to get over?

MARDY FISH: No, we -- unless he wants to go out -- unless he wants to come out with us tonight, which I'm sure he won't. No, I mean, we won't talk about it. I'm sure I'll see him in San Jose. I'm sure I'll talk to him when we get back. We talk on the phone all the time. I'm sure he'll give it a couple days for me to let it all soak in.

tangerine_dream
01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Mardy :hug:

I hope this bad loss doesn't start him on another downward spiral :unsure: He's worked so hard to get back to good health, he should be proud of his performance at AO. His first slam QF appearance, and he knocked out two good players to get there.

Hopefully he can use his AO success as a springboard to play great and do well during the spring/summer hardcourt season. :yippee:

:tOMMYbOY:
01-23-2007, 08:11 PM
tough loss. :sad: he will definately bounce back. looks like a promising year. he still hasnt lost his little gut :awww: :hearts:

pieross
02-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Mardy will come to San Jose...
he is the 5th seed..but the draw are sooooooooo poor!

pieross
02-11-2007, 06:16 AM
(1) RODDICK, Andy USA vs DANCEVIC, Frank CAN
GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA vs (WC) QUERREY, Sam USA
SCHUETTLER, Rainer GER vs LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP
UDOMCHOKE, Danai THA vs (8) SPADEA, Vincent USA

(3) MURRAY, Andy GBR vs KIM, Kevin USA
PLESS, Kristian DEN vs QUALIFIER
KENDRICK, Robert USA vs GREUL, Simon GER
QUALIFIER vs (7) LEE, Hyung-Taik KOR

(6) BECKER, Benjamin GER vs QUALIFIER
ECONOMIDIS, Konstantinos GRE vs PHAU, Bjorn GER
LU, Yen-Hsun TPE vs QUALIFIER
(WC) OUDSEMA, Scott USA vs (4) SAFIN, Marat RUS

(5) FISH, Mardy USA vs GABASHVILI, Teimuraz RUS
DELIC, Amer USA vs (WC) WARBURG, Sam USA
KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO vs GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo ESP
KUNITSYN, Igor RUS vs (2) BLAKE, James USA

I think he would meet James in the QF...
thats toooo poor....

cobalt60
02-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Mardy won but what is bizarre to me is that the time on the match was:
1 hour,1minute and 1 second.

J. Corwin
02-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Think he wants to be #1 this year? :angel:

cobalt60
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Think he wants to be #1 this year? :angel:

you are a smart aleck :p Aren't you due somewhere soon? ;)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Mardyyyy :banana: :banana:

J. Corwin
02-14-2007, 10:40 PM
you are a smart aleck :p Aren't you due somewhere soon? ;)

yes, and I better get moving or I won't hear the end of it;) Half an hour, but guys need time to get ready too;)

:wavey:

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Mardy won again today, and he'll play Karlovic :unsure: tomorrow in the QF :)

surfpinky
02-16-2007, 03:07 AM
lkjsdfds

ataptc
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Playing against Karlovic is always hard. I hope he is ready for him!

tangerine_dream
02-16-2007, 05:29 PM
LOL. I love that photo of Mardy grabbing his face :lol:

Good luck against Ivo the Serving Machine, Mardy. Avenge James :boxing:

http://www.tennisreporters.net/spadea_021607.html
FISH RETURNS WITH NEW FOREHAND
Mardy had reason to fist pump again on Thursday, when he took a 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 decision over Sam Warburg. Fish’s re-tooled forehand is looking better and better by the day and he’s convinced that because he’s turning that stroke into a weapon, that he has a serious chance at regaining the Top 20 and staying there.

Don’t look now, but the athletic all-courter has returned the Top 25, a little more than year after he returned from a serious wrist injury.

He’s super motivated, has a very good serve, terrific return and blowtorch backhand. There’s a good five questionable veterans in front of him in the rankings who easily fall back. Fish has yet to prove himself as a money player at the Slams, but he did reasonably well at the Aussie Open until he faced his good buddy Andy Roddick, and then was blown out.

“I can’t even remember three points from that match,” said Fish, who will face Ivo Karlovic in the quarters.

Unfortunately for Roddick, the same thing happened to him against Roger Federer. Fish saw that match while flying courtesy of satellite TV. “What are you going to do about that guy?” he said of the dominant Federer.

Fish still considers himself part of the US Davis Cup team, even though he hasn’t played a tie since the '04 final, when the US went down to Spain in Seville. Barring injury, Pat McEnroe’s team is a closed shop now: Roddick, James Blake and the Bryan Brothers. Fish, Robby Ginepri, Sam Querrey and Spadea can only stand up and cheer.

“They guys on the team haven’t given [McEnroe] any reason to think about a change,” Fish said. “I’ll do anything for those guys, including being a practice partner.”

Fish did get a major twinkle in his eye when asked whether he would like another shot at the Spaniards at home in April in North Carolina. “On a slick indoor hard court – yeah!”

pieross
02-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Mardy lost to the Serving Machine by 67 46....so poor...

pieross
02-17-2007, 05:17 PM
the single draw of Memphis

(1)RODDICK, Andy USA vs JOHANSSON, Thomas SWE
BECKER, Benjamin GER vs KENDRICK, Robert USA
(wc)GUCCIONE, Chris AUS vs LU, Yen-Hsun TPE
QUALIFIER vs (6)MELZER, Jurgen AUT

(3)MURRAY, Andy GBR vs DANCEVIC, Frank CAN
PLESS, Kristian DEN vs KUNITSYN, Igor RUS
KOUBEK, Stefan AUT vs GREUL, Simon GER
QUALIFIER vs (8)GINEPRI, Robby USA

(5)MALISSE, Xavier BEL vs QUALIFIER
(wc)KUZNETSOV, Alex USA vs QUALIFIER
DEL POTRO, Juan Martin ARG vs LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP
PHAU, Bjorn GER vs (4)FISH, Mardy USA

(7)BENNETEAU, Julien FRA vs LEE, Hyung-Taik KOR
KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO vs (wc)QUERREY, Sam USA
GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA vs DELIC, Amer USA
SPADEA, Vincent USA vs (2)HAAS, Tommy GER

i think the draw is better than San Jose...
so c'mon fish!

Deboogle!.
02-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I dunno, Phau is a solid player. Mardy will have to play well. But he definitely has an opportunity to do well and pick up some points :)

GollyLou
02-17-2007, 06:49 PM
His draw isn't terrible, but it's not great. At least he can't lose any points, I'm just glad he's not playing Andy in the first round like he did last year.

Deboogle!.
02-17-2007, 07:07 PM
His draw isn't terrible, but it's not great. At least he can't lose any points, I'm just glad he's not playing Andy in the first round like he did last year.Definitely. And because he lost first round last year, he can pick up some points and ranking spots with a decent run here.

GollyLou
02-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Definitely. And because he lost first round last year, he can pick up some points and ranking spots with a decent run here.

And hopefully he'll soon be back into the top 20. :D :banana: Which would make me very happy. (Though, probably drop straight back out when he loses all of his Houston points.)

Deboogle!.
02-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Well now that he's back in the top 25, he's looking at being seeded and having better draws, so hopefully that snowballs, because he got some really awful draws last year when he was trying to come back up. He's got a few rounds to defend at Indian Wells first, but he will be seeded there and Miami, so that should help. Then if he can do well at those 2 tourneys and Memphis, hopefully losing his Houston points won't have too bad of an effect. We can hope :)

GollyLou
02-17-2007, 07:25 PM
He did get some horrible, horrible draws. Like getting Rafa in the second round at IW and also Queens. At least he'll avoid things like that now, and he's much less rusty now than he was at this time last year. And he'll be seeded at Houston too, so that will definitely help. :) I just can't see him doing half as well as he did.

Deboogle!.
02-17-2007, 07:30 PM
in Houston, no, I can't either, but hey you never know! But with the QF at San Jose and hopefully a good result in Memphis and the early good result in Auckland, he will have enough in his optionals to make the hit from houston not that bad. Doing well in Miami especially would help, b/c he only won one match there.

Also in April he's looking at one of his good challenger results coming off so yes, he definitely will have work to do this Spring.

GollyLou
02-17-2007, 07:39 PM
:lol: That's true. I never expected him to win it last year and he did. Hopefully he'll win a couple of rounds, do well in the tourneys up until then and it won't be too bad for him. A nice easy draw in Miami would be nice. Or at least winning more than one match.

And yeah, hopefully he'll do really well in Memphis. Because I doubt he'll get as many points from the European clay season as he did from the challengers last year.

tangerine_dream
02-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Mardy lost to the Serving Machine by 67 46....so poor...
Karlovic should be banned. He doesn't even play tennis, he just serves and serves and serves, and he's lucky he's 6'10" so nobody can get a racket on it. :rolleyes: And people say Andy's nothing but a serve? Not compared to this guy.

Even Mardy's not impressed:
"It just doesn't really seem like tennis," Fish said. "It's not very often you play a match and you're excited when it gets to 40-30."

Well, onwards to Memphis. Good luck to Mardy. :dance:

pieross
02-19-2007, 07:50 PM
I dunno, Phau is a solid player. Mardy will have to play well. But he definitely has an opportunity to do well and pick up some points :)

if Mardy cant play well he can lose to anybody...
But I believe that Mardy will pass thought Phau with an awesome play...:D

pieross
02-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Karlovic should be banned. He doesn't even play tennis, he just serves and serves and serves, and he's lucky he's 6'10" so nobody can get a racket on it. :rolleyes: And people say Andy's nothing but a serve? Not compared to this guy.

Even Mardy's not impressed:
"It just doesn't really seem like tennis," Fish said. "It's not very often you play a match and you're excited when it gets to 40-30."

Well, onwards to Memphis. Good luck to Mardy. :dance:
i am so agree with Mardy and u...
Thats so hard to break Karlovic..When the bp come..The ace will come after..
when Mardy see a chance , chance will go away soon with the serve..

well...Whatever...Good luck to Mardy too :woohoo:

Deboogle!.
02-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Mardy beat Phau easily!!! :woohoo:

jeahhh!
02-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Mardy beat Phau easily!!! :woohoo:

:banana: :banana:

Deboogle!.
02-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Resurgent Fish makes confident start in Memphis
Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:01 AM GMT

(adds later matches)

By Simon Cambers

MEMPHIS, Tennessee, Feb 20 (Reuters) - Fourth seed Mardy Fish made a confident start at the Memphis International when he brushed aside German Bjorn Phau 6-3 6-2 in the first round on Tuesday.

The American, who reached the Australian Open quarter-finals last month, broke once to win the first set and twice more in the second to seal his place in round two.

World number 25 Fish will play Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina, who hammered Spaniard Feliciano Lopez 6-1 6-2.

After two operations on his wrist in 2005, Fish stormed back up the rankings to end last year at 47th.

Having remodelled his forehand with his coach Todd Martin, his confidence is at an all-time high and a place in the top 10 this year is a real possibility.

"That's the goal," Fish told reporters. "I am definitely playing the best tennis of my life.

"I used to feel that I could play with guys in the top 10 but now I almost feel like I should beat them. It's all about confidence and becoming more consistent.":D

pieross
02-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Great job,Mardy...haha!

ataptc
02-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Go Mardy! :banana:

tangerine_dream
02-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Yay Mardy, keep it going :drive:

yay me, I found one pic :banana:

edit
Mardy wins again :yippee:

Reuters - Fourth seed Mardy Fish slammed 22 aces on his way to a 6-1 7-6 win over Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro at the Memphis International on Thursday.

The American saved two set points before winning the tiebreak 11-9 to set up a quarter-final clash with Russian qualifier Teimuraz Gabashvili.

pieross
02-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Thx tangerine

Mardy looks great and shaving clean...

the qualifier i know none of him..

but why not keep going Mardy!!!

Deboogle!.
02-23-2007, 01:04 AM
:woohoo: if only he could get his first serve % consistently higher... he'd win so much more.

tangerine_dream
02-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Another random quote from Mardy about Frankencroat Ivo:

Tower of power: Mardy Fish, on dealing with the angle of serve from 6-foot-10 Croatian Ivo Karlovic: "The only thing worse than his serve would be him as a lefty."

:haha:

And it looks like Mardy is s/v a lot more than he usually does. I found this over at tennis.com:

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/02/tuesday_for_me_.html
Lisa McDermott's Memphis Diary

Second Rev: I found out up close and personal that we’ve got a fleet-footed American who really loves to play the net in Mardy Fish. He beat Bjorn Phau, coming to the net so frequently that you would easily take Fish for a serve-and-volleyer. Mardy confessed after that match that becoming something like that was indeed one of his goals. He wants to play aggressively and get to the net. "I always have been that way, from when I first started playing. I loved coming into the net. I loved shortening the points and when I was 10 years old I did that."

He added that the result was that everyone he played in the 12-and-unders tried moonballing or lobbing over him. Fish's father is a tennis teaching pro but he said neither of his tennis nut parents was a net rusher. He shrugged, admitting: "That's just the way I like to play."

One element that has really helped his net play, Fish said, is playing doubles frequently, especially with his great friend, James Blake.

While he was out with injury and getting ready to make his present comeback, Fish retooled his game, strengthening what had been his more vulnerable forehand wing and tinkering with his serve. Of his off-season, he said: "I think I worked more on the practice court in the off-season than I ever have before. I went through quite a few boring practices in November and December where Todd (Martin, Fish’s coach) fed me balls for hours on end, time after time. It was just that repetitive."

Fish, who’s known as one of the few tennis players who not only listens to country music but prefers it, likes Memphis. And he's looking at two big Masters Series tournaments (Indian Wells and Key Biscayne) where the vibe will be similar and the courts equally friendly to his game. He said, "I've put myself in a good position here at the beginning of the year, playing so well. I'm in unfamiliar territory, starting out so well. This year, I got my 10th win in February instead of June, like I did last year. Sure I started a little later last year, but this still feels very good." :cool:

Deboogle!.
02-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Mardy was leading 6-2 4-1 when Gabashvili retired, so Mardy is into the semis!!! :banana::banana: He'll play the winner of haas/Querrey

pieross
02-23-2007, 07:04 PM
yep.Mardy comes to Semi!!!

Querrey lost 1st set to Haas by 2-6..
I think Mardy would meet tommy in Semi..
thats a tough match..

Tom Paulman
02-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I think it's not impossible for Mardy to beat Haas, although the Haas-Querrey score might look scary...

HEiKE
02-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Yay, go Mardy! Way to go!

Deboogle!.
02-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Mardy appears to be serving just horribly in his match against Haas. I don't understand why his first serve is so inconsistent :awww: but until he can improve his first serve % this will keep happening to him, the top players will keep beating him and beating him pretty easily b/c his 2nd serve isn't nearly as good as his first :awww:

pieross
02-24-2007, 05:46 PM
yeah,i quite agree with u, Deb.
Today he took 15 aces..but his serve was too inconsistent...this game maybe a love game,then another game he may lose all the 1st serve...
thats too disappointed to watch him lost the match...

Deboogle!.
02-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Yep :awww: If he could just serve 60% throughout the course of a match and do it more consistently, he would win some of these matches against the better players.

but the good news is that he will get a few ranking spots and nice SF points, and he has a couple weeks off until Indian Wells. he'll be seeded there this year which is good b/c he has some points to defend. hopefully I'll see him there :)

tangerine_dream
02-25-2007, 03:24 AM
Oof! Mugged by the Haas.

Oh well. Mardy had a great week here. Tommy has just been on fire all week long, hasn't dropped a set, hasn't lost served. I don't think even Andy will be able to stop him in the final. :scared:

Keep up the great playing, Mardy. Consistency, consistency. :banana:

pieross
03-08-2007, 12:51 PM
1/4

(1)FEDERER, Roger SUI vs BYE
Q vs HAJEK, Jan CZE
MOYA, Carlos ESP vs Q
BYE vs (25)STEPANEK, Radek CZE
(19)HEWITT, Lleyton AUS vs BYE
TIPSAREVIC, Janko SRB vs SRICHAPHAN, Paradorn THA
HORNA, Luis PER vs VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA
BYE vs (14)FERRER, David ESP

(12)DJOKOVIC, Novak SRB vs BYE
GINEPRI, Robby USA vs (wc)KENDRICK, Robert USA
KOROLEV, Evgeny RUS vs GREUL, Simon GER
BYE vs (20)TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS
(27)MELZER, Jurgen AUT vs BYE
MONFILS, Gael FRA vs BENNETEAU, Julien FRA
PLESS, Kristian DEN vs SERRA, Florent FRA
BYE vs (6)BLAKE, James USA

2/4

(4)DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS vs BYE
ROCHUS, Christophe BEL vs (wc)QUERREY, Sam USA
HENMAN, Tim GBR vs HERNYCH, Jan CZE
BYE vs (28)CALLERI, Agustin ARG
(23)SAFIN, Marat RUS vs BYE
MONACO, Juan ARG vs MAHUT, Nicolas FRA
Q vs Q
BYE vs (13)MURRAY, Andy GBR

(9)HAAS, Tommy GER vs BYE
Q vs Q
VLIEGEN, Kristof BEL vs Q
BYE vs (24)HRBATY, Dominik SVK
(26)SODERLING, Robin SWE vs BYE
GIMELSTOB, Justin USA vs BRACCIALI, Daniele ITA
DANCEVIC, Frank CAN vs Q
BYE vs (5)GONZALEZ, Fernando CHI

3/4

(8)LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO vs BYE
BECKER, Benjamin GER vs Q
MIRNYI, Max BLR vs JOHANSSON, Thomas SWE
BYE vs (31)ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP
(21)FISH, Mardy USA vs BYE
MARTIN, Alberto ESP vs MATHIEU, Paul-Henri FRA
KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER vs LEE, Hyung-Taik KOR
BYE vs (10)NALBANDIAN, David ARG

(15)GASQUET, Richard FRA vs BYE
(wc)KUERTEN, Gustavo BRA vs DEL POTRO, Juan Martin ARG
ROITMAN, Sergio ARG vs GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA
BYE vs (18)NIEMINEN, Jarkko FIN
(29)MALISSE, Xavier BEL vs BYE
KOUBEK, Stefan AUT vs SPADEA, Vincent USA
LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP vs ROCHUS, Olivier BEL
BYE vs (3)RODDICK, Andy USA

4/4

(7)ROBREDO, Tommy ESP vs BYE
SIMON, Gilles FRA vs Q
PHAU, Bjorn GER vs BJORKMAN, Jonas SWE
BYE vs (30)CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG
(17)BAGHDATIS, Marcos CYP vs BYE
GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo ESP vs MASSU, Nicolas CHI
(wc)RUSSELL, Michael USA vs GICQUEL, Marc FRA
BYE vs (11)BERDYCH, Tomas CZE

(16)YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS vs BYE
GROSJEAN, Sebastien FRA vs ACASUSO, Jose ARG
MAYER, Florian GER vs KUNITSYN, Igor RUS
BYE vs (22)FERRERO, Juan Carlos ESP
(32)VERDASCO, Fernando ESP vs BYE
Q vs (wc)KUZNETSOV, Alex USA
Q vs CLEMENT, Arnaud FRA
BYE vs (2)NADAL, Rafael ESP

well,I have to say..i dont like the draw at all..
i call it the worst draw i ever seen..
cos Mathieu and Nalbandian are the player i like too..
and to Mardy..the match with both players would be tough...

HEiKE
03-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Another bad draw for Mardy :-( Anyway, good luck and kick butt!!

Deboogle!.
03-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Maybe the draw wasn't great, but he should've won today :(

pieross
03-13-2007, 05:08 AM
Mardy lost to Mathieu...
its a complecated feeling to me..
Well,i just wonder is it Mardy injury?
he withdraw from the double..

Deboogle!.
03-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Maybe he is hurt because he pulled out of Miami today :crying2:

jeahhh!
03-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Mardy:sobbing:

GollyLou
03-18-2007, 10:31 PM
:tape:

I really hope it's nothing serious and not his wrist again. :sad:

chisey
03-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Are you kidding me? God he has just the crappiest luck. He was just doing really well again, too :sobbing: I hope it's a little thing that can be fixed soon.

otowngurl86apa
03-19-2007, 08:53 PM
:wavey: I've never posted before, been a lurker for about a year. I'm a huge Mardy fan, and I was just wondering if anyone knew yet why Mardy pulled out? I noticed that during the end of the Mathieu match last week he was rubbing his right shoulder a lot. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Edit: I just got a google alert about it, and it is his shoulder. :( At least it isn't his wrist again.

Sun-Sentinel.com
March 19, 2007
Two Yanks Yanked
KEY BISCAYNE -- Even before 14 Americans played their first-round qualifying match at the Sony Ericsson, the tournament lost two Yanks.

Mardy Fish pulled out of the main draw with a shoulder problem, to be replaced by Potito Starace (you say Potito and I say Potahto)

Deboogle!.
03-20-2007, 01:31 AM
welcome! I have seen your name at the bottom of the forums a lot :) Glad to see you post (but too bad on these kinds of terms :()

Hope it's not too bad and that he will be better for Houston :awww:

pieross
03-20-2007, 05:42 AM
yeah,hope mardy is nothing serious..
just need a rest for another tournament
Get better soon mardy~

otowngurl86apa
03-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
Doesn't seem like it's too serious.

Fish out with injury to shoulder

By Charles Bricker
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted March 20 2007

KEY BISCAYNE – Even before the first day of qualifying began at the Sony Ericsson Open on Monday, two notable American players withdrew from the tournament.

Mardy Fish of Tampa, who has worked back to No. 23 following two wrist surgeries, withdrew from the main draw with a shoulder injury. It's not serious, however, and Fish expects to return to the ATP Tour in time to defend his title in Houston, April 9-15.

He practiced the past two days at Saddlebrook, near Tampa, with good friend James Blake, who is seeded eighth here, and he said has no pain hitting ground strokes but cannot serve.

pieross
03-20-2007, 01:38 PM
thanks and welcome...

yeah,thats a good news for us..
the houston is more important for Mardy..
Get better and ready for Houston

Deboogle!.
03-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks for posting that. Good to hear. :)

knight_ley
03-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks!!!! :)

ataptc
03-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Phrew.. :)

HEiKE
03-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Glad it is nothing serious! Get well soon for Houston, Mardy!

pieross
03-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Mardy awarded the COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR of ATP!!!

Well done Mardy!

pieross
04-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Houston

(1) RODDICK, Andy USA vs MONTANES, Albert ESP
QUALIFIER vs RAMIREZ HIDALGO, Ruben ESP
RUSSELL, Michael USA vs GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA
SPADEA, Vincent USA vs (7) GINEPRI, Robby USA

(3) HAAS, Tommy GER vs QUERREY, Sam USA
DEVILDER, Nicolas FRA vs (WC) GIMELSTOB, Justin USA
GROSJEAN, Sebastien FRA vs HARTFIELD, Diego ARG
KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO vs (6) BECKER, Benjamin GER

(5) MELZER, Jurgen AUT vs SCHUETTLER, Rainer GER
HANESCU, Victor ROU vs VERKERK, Martin NED
QUALIFIER vs (WC) SWEETING, Ryan USA
VASSALLO ARGUELLO, Martin ARG vs (4) FISH, Mardy USA

(8) MONACO, Juan ARG vs (WC) GAMBILL, Jan-Michael USA
DELIC, Amer USA vs KENDRICK, Robert USA
QUALIFIER vs HORNA, Luis PER
QUALIFIER vs (2) BLAKE, James USA

otowngurl86apa
04-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Can't say that I'm too excited about that draw...

GollyLou
04-08-2007, 08:58 AM
It could be worse. but it could be way better.

ataptc
04-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Good Luck Mardy!

otowngurl86apa
04-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Mardy's first on tomorrow at 1pm local time. Good luck!

knight_ley
04-10-2007, 07:07 AM
:dance:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Mardy beat Vassallo Arguello 5-7 6-3 7-5 :rocker2: Great win for Mardy on clay :rocker2:

Only problem is his serve stats :help:

otowngurl86apa
04-10-2007, 08:49 PM
He really had me worried for a while!
The serve stats definitely need a little help right now.

Deboogle!.
04-10-2007, 08:55 PM
The first serve % and DFs are just..... GAH. :sobbing: No reason for it either :awww:

His ankle in the 2nd pic :scared: :scared: :scared:

otowngurl86apa
04-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah I know, he's got the weapon, use it!!

Eww! That does not look comfortable at all!

pieross
04-10-2007, 09:17 PM
the serve is terrible..
the DF scare me..
well..anyway....Mardy WIN!!!!!!

otowngurl86apa
04-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Haha yes, the win is the most important thing! Especially from 2 breaks down in the 3rd!

His next match is not before 7:00pm tomorrow, against Zabaleta.

ataptc
04-11-2007, 02:14 PM
At least he showed great fighting spirit in the third set..

And yikes that 2nd pic doesn't look good, especially with no ankle guards..

All the best for tomorrow.. Zabaleta can be dangerous though

GollyLou
04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
The fact that he was broken 5 times and that serve percentage and the DFs... even for Mardy, that's a lot of DFs. :(

:eek: That doesn't look good for his ankle at all.

knight_ley
04-11-2007, 07:56 PM
:drink: Here's to him playing a bit better in round two... (and not doing scary things with his ankle).

Deboogle!.
04-12-2007, 01:57 AM
he lost in 2 :( 5-7 4-6. Serving stats so atrocious. Lots of points lost too :(

otowngurl86apa
04-12-2007, 02:04 AM
:( that was not very fun to watch live score during. Deb, do you know how much this is going to affect his ranking?

Deboogle!.
04-12-2007, 02:10 AM
no higher than 30 next week :( http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4596297&postcount=1

I just don't understand his problems with his serve. He cut down on the DFs today, but still, he (well, almost no players can really) cannot expect to win matches serving under 50%. He served 46% but won over 80% of his 1st serve points (really good on clay), but under 50% of his 2nd serve points. I dunno what, but he needs to do something - put a little spin on his serve, take a little bit of pace on it, something.

otowngurl86apa
04-12-2007, 02:12 AM
:( That's no good.

It kind of makes me wonder if his shoulder is really feeling better, with all these serving problems. Something needs to be done about it though, he's not going to win any matches serving like that :(

Deboogle!.
04-12-2007, 02:14 AM
well he said even before DC that his shoulder was fine. Plus, serve % has always always been a problem for him :(

otowngurl86apa
04-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Oh, I didn't know he said that. That makes me feel a little better, but he needs to work on it :(

knight_ley
04-12-2007, 02:51 AM
:(

pieross
04-12-2007, 04:34 AM
:( :( Mardy!!!

Maybe his shoulder still have some problems...
But luckly the clay season come..he can have a lot of time to heal..

Deboogle!.
04-12-2007, 04:40 AM
nah, his shoulder is fine. if he says it's fine, i believe him. he's had problems with his serve at least since i've been following him, so like 3+ years. :(

pieross
04-12-2007, 05:23 AM
but in an interview Andy said Mardy's shoulder was a little bit banged up..

anyway,the serve is always soooooo bad!
i wonder does he try to improve it?I think he knows how important the serve to him..

Deboogle!.
04-12-2007, 05:30 AM
that was before DC. Mardy said during the DC week that his shoulder was fine. So, I believe him.

ataptc
04-13-2007, 01:39 PM
I really wish he could improve his serving stats soon since it's costing him pretty much most of the matches he's lost.. I want to see a winning Mardy again (and on my tv) :(

pieross
04-13-2007, 01:55 PM
that was before DC. Mardy said during the DC week that his shoulder was fine. So, I believe him.

Maybe i should always trust him..:cool:

if isnt shoulder's problem,he should work on his serve now!:devil:

HEiKE
04-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Yay, yay, yay!! I just found out that Mardy's gonna play at the World Team Cup in Duesseldorf this year!! :woohoo:

I finally get to see him again after Halle 2004 :yippee: I got the whole week off work for Duesseldorf so it should be a great week seeing the US team there. The Bryans as well as James are playing - thats a team I'll love!

Deboogle!.
04-18-2007, 06:01 PM
:yeah:

ataptc
05-05-2007, 03:36 PM
What a horrible, horrible draw for Rome :sad:

otowngurl86apa
05-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Seriously, the luck of the bad draw strikes again :(

Deboogle!.
05-05-2007, 09:11 PM
:mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery:

jeahhh!
05-06-2007, 03:16 AM
:sobbing:

pieross
05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
worst draw ever...

well,enjoy the journey,Mardy....

otowngurl86apa
05-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Let's look on the bright side, FLAKE is back!!! Granted they play Gasquet/Benneteau in the first round, but FLAKE is back :)

ataptc
05-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Not a good draw for Flake as well, but I want new pics!

otowngurl86apa
05-08-2007, 03:09 PM
well... I'm just glad I wasn't around to watch it. 4-6, 4-6. Hopefully Flake will do better in doubles tonight!!

Only one picture right now. It's weird to see Mardy without facial hair! I couldn't figure out for the longest time what was different about him, but he shaved!

pieross
05-08-2007, 03:51 PM
OMG...Does his new Girlfriend ask him to shave?
I rather like to see his facial hair!!

And the match...i dont want to talk about his serve any more...
the 1st serve always below 50%..how can he win!

otowngurl86apa
05-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Me too, it's just weird to see him without it.

Yeah, I'm definitely glad I wasn't around to see that...

Deboogle!.
05-08-2007, 03:57 PM
OMG...Does his new Girlfriend ask him to shave?
I rather like to see his facial hair!!LOL!!! She's not new ;) Anyway, I think he looks great without it, his facial hair under his chin and stuff is pretty nasty for me. :lol:
And the match...i dont want to talk about his serve any more...
the 1st serve always below 50%..how can he win!he can't which is why he doesn't :(

ataptc
05-08-2007, 04:23 PM
It's weird to see Mardy without facial hair!
I am not used to it too :lol:
he can't which is why he doesn't :(
That fact makes me :sad:

Go Flake!

otowngurl86apa
05-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Flake won their first match, and are playing again tonight against Acacuso/Chela :(

otowngurl86apa
05-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Ignore my last post, apparently Benneteau/Gasquet pulled out of doubles. So today was Flake's first round... and they WON!! :D

pieross
05-10-2007, 05:00 PM
LOL!!! She's not new ;) Anyway, I think he looks great without it, his facial hair under his chin and stuff is pretty nasty for me. :lol:
he can't which is why he doesn't :(
yep,She' old...and 1 year elder than Mardy... :p

Well...his facial hair...i wish it can grow on the head..and add to the hair..
That hair style could look much better...

otowngurl86apa
05-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Damm/Paes d. Blake/Fish in a walk over.

I hope they just want to move on and prepare in Hamburg and nothing is wrong :confused:

Deboogle!.
05-11-2007, 03:08 AM
[3] Damm/Paes d Blake/Fish walkover (Fish, fever)

So no injury, thank goodness:)

ataptc
05-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Yes thankfully. I was worried for a moment

otowngurl86apa
05-11-2007, 12:13 PM
OH good! Thanks Deb, I was worried too!

tangerine_dream
05-11-2007, 04:17 PM
What happened to Flake in doubles?

pieross
05-11-2007, 05:32 PM
thx,Deb...that could be a good news~

otowngurl86apa
05-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Well the Hamburg draw is out....
First round vs. Moya :rolleyes:

pieross
05-13-2007, 04:11 PM
why Mardy always meet Argentina or Spanish on the clay...

Poor Mardy...but better than Rome..

otowngurl86apa
05-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Seriously, it sucks.

And first round doubles for Flake... Federer/Wawrinka :rolleyes:

ataptc
05-14-2007, 06:15 AM
What a great draw for both Mardy and Flake:sobbing:

HEiKE
05-14-2007, 06:03 PM
I hate those draws!! :( Anyway, good luck Mardy & Flake!!

Just one week until I get to see them!! :) I so cant't wait for Duesseldorf!

pieross
05-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Mardy lost to Moya 0-6 3-6.....

thats terrible!!!!!!!!!

it seems Mardy 1st serve looks better than last time..
but the scores....

ataptc
05-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Mardy :banghead:

But Flake won 6-2 7-5!!! :woohoo:

otowngurl86apa
05-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I slept through the first set (luckily) but woke up in enough time to watch the 2nd, and he was really frustrated. I'm hoping that will motivate him to work on his serve more.

I'm very glad Flake won! Maybe that'll give Mardy a little bit of confidence, that he beat Roger somewhere lol

Deboogle!.
05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Mardy :o

Flake! :bounce:

otowngurl86apa
05-15-2007, 03:37 PM
That is a great way to sum it up Deb!

tangerine_dream
05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Flake! :banana:

otowngurl86apa
05-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Two pics from the Flake match, not that you can really see him in either of them, but it's something!

pieross
05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Flake def.Knowles/Nestor 6-2 6-2.....

thats hard to believe!Great job,guys!

Deboogle!.
05-17-2007, 04:53 PM
:eek: I keep trying to tell people they're good - maybe they'll believe me :p

jeahhh!
05-17-2007, 04:55 PM
:eek: I keep trying to tell people they're good - maybe they'll believe me :p

I believe you.:p

goodwoman
05-17-2007, 05:34 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: Keep it going, Flake!!!

Tytta!.
05-17-2007, 06:21 PM
:worship:

ataptc
05-18-2007, 03:53 AM
WOW :woohoo:

HEiKE
05-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Well done, Mardy and James aka Flake :bigclap:

See you in Duesseldorf! Yay, I'm leaving Monday morning and I so can't wait!! :yippee: First day and I'm gonna see USA vs. Chile :cool:

otowngurl86apa
05-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Mardy lost to Massu 4-6 6-7. He plays Acasuso tomorrow.

pieross
05-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Clay is always the nightmare..
WELL...good luck today mardy~

otowngurl86apa
05-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Today's match has been suspended due to rain with Mardy losing 5-7, 4-5. Acasuso was going to serve for the match when it started raining.

And I'm bored, so pictures! Looks like Mardy took a fall!

Deboogle!.
05-22-2007, 08:32 PM
acasuso ended up winning.... but no surprise, he is a much better clay player than Mardy.

Hopefully he's ok, yikes.

pieross
05-24-2007, 11:03 AM
i've watched that match..it happened at the end of 1st set..Mardy serve to Acasuso..0-30..Mardy came to the net,and he got a fall..
it seemed he got a twist on right foot ankle...but its ok..only hurt knees a little..
after the fall..0-40...then mardy lost that game..the scores turn to 5-6..

mardy withdraw the match against T.Johansson..who can tell me what happened?

otowngurl86apa
05-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I really wish I didn't know what happened... :sad:

Fish out of French Open after freak foot injury
May 24, 2007

DUESSELDORF, Germany (AP) -- Mardy Fish will miss the French Open after injuring his foot kicking a football.

Fish and his U.S. teammates at the World Team Cup visited the NFL Europa team Rhein Fire on Wednesday. He apparently sprained ligaments in his foot while trying to kick a field goal.

The 31st-ranked Fish has returned to the United States for treatment, ruling him out of the French Open beginning Sunday.

"I don't know how severe it is," teammate James Blake said Thursday. "He's hoping that it is just something where he is off his feet for four, five days and then he can start hitting lightly. If that's the case he will be ready for the grass."

Fish was scheduled to play singles Thursday in a match against Sweden at the World Team Cup. He was replaced by doubles specialist Mike Bryan, who lost his match as Sweden won the best-of-three series 2-1.

"It's really unfortunate," Blake said. "We all learn not to do silly things and to be more careful if we are going to do anything like that. But we also have to be human beings and live a life. We can't live in a shell or a bubble and only play tennis and never go out and do anything. It's a tough balance."

Deboogle!.
05-24-2007, 09:03 PM
holy crap :o