uk tournaments? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

uk tournaments?

joeb_uk
03-05-2004, 05:13 PM
hi, could someone please list the tournaments that happen here in england? i would like to go to see some, including challengers, satellites etc. thanks guys

Fee
03-05-2004, 06:08 PM
I don't have a list like that, but I'm sure you could find it at www.atptennis.com or www.stevegtennis.com. Both sites have the complete ATP calendar.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-05-2004, 06:18 PM
well, theres a very big WTA tournament on in your home town but if you're looking for mens, there are 3 in a year and they are all during the grass court season. nottingham, stella artois and of course wimbledon

id say ur best bet is stella artois, thats an awesome tournament and it wont be as hard to get into as wimbledon. nottingham is quite small and doesnt attract the big names

joeb_uk
03-05-2004, 06:48 PM
yeah im maybe planning on the one here, i may get the weekly ticket for 99 pounds if i can get a week off college

*Ljubica*
03-05-2004, 06:59 PM
As far as Challengers go, if you visit the LTA web-site, they can probably help you. The link is:- http://www.lta.org.uk/ . There are also several good exhibitions in the period coming up to Wimbledon, like the Liverpool tournament and the one at Stoke Poges, and Wimbledon qualifying at Roehampton is good fun for a day out.

joeb_uk
03-05-2004, 07:16 PM
cool, thanks rosie. those are the kinda things im looking for, ones that arent listed on atp etc

*Ljubica*
03-05-2004, 07:29 PM
cool, thanks rosie. those are the kinda things im looking for, ones that arent listed on atp etc

OK - two links that you may find interesting:-

The Liverpool tournament is http://www.liverpooltennis.co.uk/
My friend is involved with the organisation of this one - Marat played there and won in 2002, althiugh he has no plans to play there this year.

Stoke Poges is:- http://www.bdcc.info/thesite/platinum.html/
This is one of my own personal favourites, because David loves it there and it's so close to where I live! Hope these help :)

Btw - do you subscribe to "Ace" magazine? They always print lists of up-and-coming tournaments every month, and have a special "British Tennis" section with news of challengers etc.

joeb_uk
03-05-2004, 07:44 PM
i used to subscribe hehe when i was alot younger, maybe 5 years ago. but not anymore. what happened to the brighton one?

*Ljubica*
03-05-2004, 09:26 PM
i used to subscribe hehe when i was alot younger, maybe 5 years ago. but not anymore. what happened to the brighton one?

The Brighton tournament only lasted one year - I think it folded due to lack of interest and major sponsorship as it was too close to Bercy and Stuttgart (now Madrid) Masters, to attract enough big names. I actually read in "Ace" recently that they're wanting to bring another hard-court tournament to Britain, but whether it will get off the ground with the current crowded schedule, remains to be seen. I don't read "Ace" thoroughly myself nowadays (too much "Come On Tim" for me!), but it can be useful occasionally.

joeb_uk
03-05-2004, 09:33 PM
lol, typical english magazine heh. yeah would be good to see a hardcourt tourney here too

Raquel
03-06-2004, 12:59 AM
I agree with Rosie about going to Roehampton for the Wimbledon qualifying for a cool day out. There's always a lot of matches and the day I went there was men's, women's and doubles all going on. :)

Kiara
03-06-2004, 03:32 PM
The one at Surbiton, is that a challenger?I know Mario Ancic was there last year and Taylor Dent won there a few years ago, I wouldnt mind going cos it's just really close by...

CooCooCachoo
03-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah, Surbiton is a Challenger.

I agree with Rosie about going to Roehampton for the Wimbledon qualifying for a cool day out. There's always a lot of matches and the day I went there was men's, women's and doubles all going on.

Would be nice to go.. Ugh, where to go to ;)

Horatio Caine
03-06-2004, 07:12 PM
I'd recommend going to the Nottingham Challenger. I'm a student at the University of Nottingham and i got to see some good tennis for free for the whole week. I actually wandered around the viewing galleries with Bates, Martin Lee, Van Scheppingen, Van Lottum, Zib, Delgado, Parmar etc. I got some autographs and even had a chatr with some of the players! It was great fun

joeb_uk
03-06-2004, 07:27 PM
is nottingham the one with 3 claycourts? that tin henman came and opened? i may have it confused

Horatio Caine
03-06-2004, 07:41 PM
no. it is the one where the samsung open is played. Only the challenger is played indoors. There are no clay courts. Joachim Johansson went there last year as well and look at how well he is doing!

joeb_uk
04-11-2004, 04:18 PM
i hope to go to roland garros for the last 3 days, but if i dont get the tickets i will be going to the surbiton challenger, does anyone know any names that will be there?

Aleksa's Laydee
04-11-2004, 04:32 PM
greg and mardy fish are big names and they play at nottingham but i gota agree that queens club is the best apart from wimbie and you should see the list of names signed up for queens!! :D

joeb_uk
04-11-2004, 04:36 PM
are there usually many tickets left for queens?

CooCooCachoo
04-11-2004, 04:37 PM
hope to go to roland garros for the last 3 days, but if i dont get the tickets i will be going to the surbiton challenger, does anyone know any names that will be there?

Challengers are never that quick to mention the players on the commitment list, simply because this is often last-week work. The bigger events, such as Nottingham and especially Queen's, depend on some big names to get the sales of the tickets going on. If they can offer for instance a Srichaphan (Nottingham) or Hewitt (Queen's), a guaranteed number of tickets will be sold well before the tournament starts. It's all marketing I guess, something Challengers depend on in a far lesser amount. My experience is that you won't know the names of the players for the Challengers any sooner than two weeks, three if you're lucky, before the tournament starts.

joeb_uk
04-11-2004, 04:40 PM
ok cool, thanks coocy. i was hoping to see mario ancic there

CooCooCachoo
04-11-2004, 04:41 PM
are there usually many tickets left for queens?

As far as I know, Queen's is a very popular tournament which requires early booking, especially since there is limited seating there. It's also relatively expensive ;)

joeb_uk
04-11-2004, 04:42 PM
lol i know, i checked and the prices are very high

CooCooCachoo
04-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Mario Ancic? Why? He might be a bit out of Surbiton's league, but who knows? If they pay for him.. ;)

joeb_uk
04-11-2004, 04:47 PM
he was there last year

CooCooCachoo
04-11-2004, 04:49 PM
I meant, why are you hoping he will play there?