Predict the New Balls Final Slam tally [in early 2004 i underestimated FED]**... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Predict the New Balls Final Slam tally [in early 2004 i underestimated FED]**...

CmonAussie
03-05-2004, 02:05 PM
:cool: :rolleyes: :worship: :wavey: :p :angel: :eek:
Howdy guys >> thought I had an Idea for a thread! :wavey:
*So it looks like the Old Balls are just about done; Agassi is still holding out but I think he's maybe not going to win anymore slams. :rolleyes:
Therefore Old Balls Final Slam Tally
= Sampras 14; Agassi 8; Courier 4; Kafelnekov 2; Rafter 2; Chang 1; Ivanisavic 1; Kuerten 3(still more to come?); Moya 1(one more time?).

*#*-->>How about the New Generation, what will their final Slam tally's be?? This is what I foresee(Nostradamis eye wishfully looking 10-years down the track). :confused:
~~ Federer 8, Hewitt 7, Roddick 3, Ferrero 3, Safin 2, Nadal 4, Srichaphan 1(one-Slam-wonder will be OK when you're a trailblazer). :)

Experimentee
03-05-2004, 02:45 PM
It annoys me how people persist into dividing players into "Old Balls" and "New Balls". Kuerten and Moya are not that old. I think Kuerten was once part of the New Balls recently. Just shows how artificial this division is.
Why dont we just consider all of them on their individual merits instead of grouping them?

Pink Panther
03-05-2004, 03:04 PM
I think Guga was part of the New Balls campaign back in 2000?

Being such an avid fan of Lleyton, I'm surprised you chose Federer over Hewitt.

But I think you're right about Nadal. Going at this rate, I won't be surprised if he wins a slam in a few years time. :)

WyveN
03-05-2004, 03:31 PM
there was a thread like this a short while ago......what changed apart from Roger winning 1 extra slam?

Lee
03-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I think Guga was part of the New Balls campaign back in 2000?

Yes, Guga was in the New Balls campaign and he joked about him being middle ball, as he's not exactly new but not old.

WyveN
03-05-2004, 03:42 PM
the way i see it

17-23 new ball
23-27 mid ball
28+ old ball
60+ Todd Martin ball

Frooty_Bazooty
03-05-2004, 05:12 PM
there is no way in a million billion years that srichaphan will ever win a slam. he hasnt got an ice cubes chance in hell

Billabong
03-05-2004, 08:58 PM
I agree with Wyven;)!

SaFed2005
03-05-2004, 11:50 PM
the way i see it
60+ Todd Martin ball

LMAO LMAO
ROFL

Sjengster
03-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Wyvern's predicted Slam tally:

Federer 11
Roddick 8-10
Ferrero 5
Safin 4
Hewitt 0

WyveN
03-06-2004, 12:43 AM
did I post that before?
I don't know how Hewitt can end up with 0 when he already has 2

Frooty_Bazooty
03-06-2004, 12:51 AM
touché :lol:

Fedex
03-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Federer 9+
Safin 5+
Nalbandian 4+
Roddick 2
Hewitt 2 (the ones he already has ;)
Nadal 4+
Ferrero 3+
=29 or more!

CmonAussie
03-06-2004, 01:58 AM
Kuerten is going to be 28yrs later this year -->> so I think he's closer to Old Ball than New Ball; how many players win Slams after their late-20's~ only Agassi stands out as bucking the trend.
Certainly Federer, Ferrero, Hewitt, Roddick & Safin are all part of the same generation...
## The only reason I'm making an artifitial divide between "Old Balls" & "New Balls" is to look at who are the leading players of their generation for comparison interest.
*For instance in the late 1980's early 90's Boris Becker & Stefan Edberg were clearly intense rivals(3-consecutive Wimbledon finals together) & they both ended up winning 3/4 Slams & they both had 6-Slams as their Final Tally..!!

Anyway it's going to be interesting what this generation is able to achieve.
Personally I think a lot of people over-rate Nalbandian while at the same time they under-rate Hewitt... David may have all the skills necessary to win Slams but he seems to play his worst tennis in Finals(looks like a choker to me) while conversly Lleyton is often able to rise to the occassion-->> somehow his 1st serve percentage improves dramatically in the latter stages of SF/Finals;~ I just can't see how he won't win more Slams as many posters like to predict..

J. Corwin
03-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Wyvern's predicted Slam tally:

Federer 11
Roddick 8-10
Ferrero 5
Safin 4
Hewitt 0

Hewitt will be the first player ever to LOSE past slam titles.

¿esquímaux?
03-06-2004, 10:25 AM
60+ Todd Martin ball

:haha: :lol: LMAO *DEAD*

Chloe le Bopper
03-06-2004, 10:34 AM
LOL. That's quite a feat! If he didn't already have a place in the Hall booked, they ought to throw him a special display just for that;)

Back on topic...

I can see Fed winning 6-10. If he's at the lower or upper end of that will dependon his health, and whether or not he's truly done with his pitiful big event losses. I would like to think he is, but we'll see.

I don't see Ferrero winning more than another couple, if that. He's too... spent.

I would be suprised if Coria didn't win RG once, and also if Roddick didn't at least win the USO another couple times.

MisterQ
03-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Federer 7-8
Roddick 5
Safin 4
Hewitt 3
Ferrero 3
Coria 2
Nalbandian 1

Sjengster
03-06-2004, 03:21 PM

He would be if Wyvern had his way. ;)

OK, I think I got the question confused with the future tally of Slams for the New Balls, ie how many they win from now on.

Now that I've been made to look suitably stupid, here are my picks:

Federer 4
Hewitt 4
Ferrero 3
Roddick 3
Safin 2

*Ljubica*
03-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Federer - 10
Hewitt - 5
Ferrero - 4
Safin - 3
Nalbandian - 2
Roddick - 2

Sjengster
03-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Oh, and before I forget:

Coria 2
Nalbandian 1

I'm probably being a little too conservative, but I have a feeling that with the depth on the men's tour no-one will be able to rack up more than six Slams at most.

Fedex
03-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Rosie? Only 2 for David. I have a little more faith in him that he will get 3 or more slams.

*Ljubica*
03-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Rosie? Only 2 for David. I have a little more faith in him that he will get 3 or more slams.

LOL Fedex :p Well my first reaction was to put down about 25(!), but as Sjengster, says there are so many brilliant players around now of that age-group (Ferrero,Safin, Hewitt etc), and such strength in depth, that I had to be realistic. David definately has the talent to win a lot more than 2, but with his continuing injury worries and the fact that he hasn't won one yet, - I decided to play safe. Of course I will be the happiest person in the world if he proves me wrong :)

vene
03-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Ha! how can anyone think that Andy will win another slam? :confused: Roddick will never win another slam! He just barely managed to win the US Open when all the other players were dead tired. He just is not up to snuff.....

Sjengster
03-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Vene, what a great opening post from you. It shows that you're really going to have something original and worthwhile to contribute to the board.

*Ljubica*
03-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Ha! how can anyone think that Andy will win another slam? :confused: Roddick will never win another slam! He just barely managed to win the US Open when all the other players were dead tired. He just is not up to snuff.....

:p Oh my vene - do you really want to start another war here? Actually I pretty much agree with you (my dislike of Roddick is well known on these boards and I've never tried to hide it!), but with that big serve I'm afraid to say I do think he will win at least one more :devil: Most probably the US Open again, where they can always call on a few friendly "home-town" linesmen and favourable scheduling when things get rough :haha:

Fedex
03-06-2004, 08:39 PM
:lol: I agree Rosie!!!
God it was a 'line call' that won him it. the one against David in the semis. Still tears me up to know that "someone was responsible for David not winning that match! Shouting out so David would think he won the point, which he lost of course, because he thought that a linesperson called it. If i ever found that person i would strangle them by the throat!!!! :mad:

Fedex
03-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Amazing, isnt it how i show 2 different emotions in 1 post. 1st laughter, then anger.

MisterQ
03-06-2004, 08:54 PM
:lol: I agree Rosie!!!
God it was a 'line call' that won him it. the one against David in the semis. Still tears me up to know that "someone was responsible for David not winning that match! Shouting out so David would think he won the point, which he lost of course, because he thought that a linesperson called it. If i ever found that person i would strangle them by the throat!!!! :mad:

Had that point worked out differently, it still would have been 50/50 chance of winning the set. The point which would have won David the match for sure (match point) was saved by a Roddick ace.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's very unfortunate that that semi was marred by controversy. The guy who called out from the stands was totally out of line. But there is still no guarantee that the set would have been David's...

*Ljubica*
03-06-2004, 08:56 PM
I agree with your sentiments exactly Fedex. No mater how much I try to forget and "move on", I still get choked every time I think about that match. So if ever you find the perpetrator, please don't strangle him until I've come over to help you :devil:

armaniman
03-06-2004, 11:42 PM
federer 8
hewitt 4
safin 3
ferrero 3
roduck 3
nalbandian 1

Chloe le Bopper
03-07-2004, 04:03 AM
I'm not sure if I should bother, but I will anyways.

See, regardless of the fact that everybody not named Roddick and Agassi got absolutely screwed with the scheduling last year, Roddick's hardcourt results had been pretty exceptional leading up that slam. I didn't actually think he'd win a slam until this year, but the upward arc of his results indicated, to me at least, that sooner or later, he was going to win the US Open.

I do think that he got a bit lucky last year, but I'm not convinced that it would mattered if he hadn't.

sebastiagol
03-07-2004, 05:12 AM
Gonzalez i think he is going to win at least one Slam..

Gonzalez - 1+

CmonAussie
06-20-2007, 02:30 AM
><
This is what I predicted in May 2004
ATT = At The Time

*Federer 8 [he only had 2 ATT]~~~ sadly I underestimated FED & his dominance!
*Hewitt 7 [he had 2 ATT]~~~ he would have 5-6 if FED weren`t so greedy!
*Roddick 3 [he had 1 ATT]~~~ he would have 3 if FED weren`t so greedy!
*Ferrero 3 [he had 1 ATT]~~~ geez he burned out in a hurry!
*Safin 2 [he had 1 ATT]~~~ yah I got this right<:)
*Nadal 4 [he had 0 ATT]~~~ this may prove to be correct??
*Srichaphan 1 ~~~ i was way off course here><

gusman890
06-20-2007, 02:33 AM
lol poor p-dorn..

god aussie, you built his hopes up for nothing...;)

Johnny Groove
06-20-2007, 02:40 AM
Interesting to see people on the nadal bandwagon so long ago.

CmonAussie
06-20-2007, 02:50 AM
lol poor p-dorn..
god aussie, you built his hopes up for nothing...;)

:wavey:
:sad:
Yah i had big hopes for P-Dorn~~ the flexible Thai was doing some serious damage on tour from 2002 to 2004!! I thought he had the goods & mentality to pull of a big win->> sadly his idea of a big win was getting Ms.Universe in the sack [plus the the big W (not Wimby):devil: ]..

fenomeno2111
06-20-2007, 03:11 AM
It's funny how back then people thought Ferrero, Roddick, Coria and Nalbandian were going to win slams. Now nobody would bet on that. That just shows how hard it is to predict this sort of stuff! Now in 5 years from now who do you see winning slams? Federer, Rafa......ZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz

trixtah
06-20-2007, 03:58 AM
Interesting to see people on the nadal bandwagon so long ago.

It wasn't really a bandwagon that long ago...2004? Everyone hopped on later

BlakeorHenman
06-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Fed - 16
Nadal - 7
Murray - 2
Djokovic - 4
Safin - 3
Roddick - 2

Not willing to predict any others...

CmonAussie
06-20-2007, 04:52 AM
It wasn't really a bandwagon that long ago...2004? Everyone hopped on later

There you go I`m not a bandwagoner;)
b4 Nadal had even won a MM ATP title I predicted 4-Slams for him:cool:

The defining moment for me was seeing Nadal`s impressive play at the 2004 AO [lost 3rd Rd in 3-sets to Hewitt but two were tiebreakers]- where he gave an in-form Lleyton a run for his money [though Rafa was still just 17yrs at the time]!!

Stensland
06-20-2007, 05:15 AM
ok, here's my guesses for this and the upcoming generation:

fed - 15

nadal - 5

roddick - 2

djokovic - 2

korolev - 2

and maybe some journeyman lateron.

Stensland
06-20-2007, 05:21 AM
The defining moment for me was seeing Nadal`s impressive play at the 2004 AO [lost 3rd Rd in 3-sets to Hewitt but two were tiebreakers]- where he gave an in-form Lleyton a run for his money [though Rafa was still just 17yrs at the time]!!

was that the same tournament where he played youzhny and won after being matchpoint down, where youzhny hit a soooooooo easy overhead way out on matchpoint? you could tell the russian was so exhilarated that he took the ball volley and even nadal was smiling. i've never seen a greater gift on mp down (well, apart from mahut vs. roddick just this week). it was either 04 or 05.

Marek.
06-20-2007, 05:57 AM
was that the same tournament where he played youzhny and won after being matchpoint down, where youzhny hit a soooooooo easy overhead way out on matchpoint? you could tell the russian was so exhilarated that he took the ball volley and even nadal was smiling. i've never seen a greater gift on mp down (well, apart from mahut vs. roddick just this week). it was either 04 or 05.

It was 2005. He lost to Hewitt again but in five sets. I never saw that match but I'm sure Youzhny thought about it when they met at the US Open and intentionally went triple set point down to get some revenge. :devil: ;)

CmonAussie
06-20-2007, 06:43 AM

:cool: Yeah that was 2005;)
At the 2004 AO Nadal was already making a name for himself~~ having lost the final of Auckland in the lead up!!
Though Hewitt def Nadal in straight sets that year everyone who watched could see that Rafa was dictating a lot of the play [& was unlucky to lose the 1st two set tie breakers]..

By 2005 Nadal was quite a star with a big following thanks to his Davis Cup heroics in Dec 04 [where he took down #2 Roddick]..

Still in early 2005 nobody could have predicted how dominant Nadal was going to become on clay-->>
The 1st glimpse of Nadal`s clay court dominance came in February 05 when he won Costa De Souipe & Acapulco back-to-back!!

BTW,-that match with Youzhny [Rd.2 05 AO] was the 1st time Nadal had ever won a match in 5-sets:cool:
I remember him saying that it was a big honour to be put on centre court [Rod Laver Arena] because he still wasn`t a big name~~ though 5-months later he was an FO champion:worship:

Stensland
06-20-2007, 06:53 AM
I remember him saying that it was a big honour to be put on centre court [Rod Laver Arena] because he still wasn`t a big name~~ though 5-months later he was an FO champion:worship:

are you sure the younzhny-match 05 was on centre court? i have a smaller one in mind (not court 17 of course). it was a day match, i remember that as well; sun was shining.

CmonAussie
06-20-2007, 07:46 AM
are you sure the younzhny-match 05 was on centre court? i have a smaller one in mind (not court 17 of course). it was a day match, i remember that as well; sun was shining.

Australian Open, Australia
Grand Slam, 17-Jan-05, O, Hard , Draw: 128

R128 Benneteau, Julien (FRA) 65 6-0 6-4 6-2
R64 Youzhny, Mikhail (RUS) 15 6-1 4-6 4-6 7-5 6-3
R32 Reynolds, Bobby (USA) 283 6-1 6-1 6-3
R16 Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS) 3 5-7 6-3 6-1 6-7(3) 2-6

Yeah I`m sure the Youzhny match was on centre court [Rod Laver Arena];)
It was played late afternoon-early evening... so the sun & shadows on the court were a problem towards the end of the match!!

At around 7pm the sunshine coming into Rod Laver can be pretty distracting [providing the roof is open of course]:eek:

#BTW, Nadal`s Rd.1 & Rd.3 matches were both played on outside courts;)

bokehlicious
06-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Fed: 10
Nadal: 15
Djokovic: 25

marcRD
06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Federer 20
Nadal 7
Hewitt 2
Roddick 1
Nalbandian 0
Safin 2
BErdych 2
Gasquet 2
Djokovic 1
Murray 1
Del Potro 2

Just dont know who the next grand slam winner will be besides Nadal and Federer?

CmonAussie
06-20-2007, 09:16 AM
My updated prediction:

FED ~ 16
RAFA ~ 7
LLEGS ~ 3
NOLE ~ 2
SAFIN ~ 2
A.ROD ~ 1
JCF ~ 1

Djokovic will win a Slam by the end of 08!

stebs
06-20-2007, 09:20 AM
My updated prediction:

FED ~ 16
RAFA ~ 7
LLEGS ~ 3
NOLE ~ 2
SAFIN ~ 2
A.ROD ~ 1
JCF ~ 1

Djokovic will win a Slam by the end of 08!

Which slam is Hewitt winning?

marcRD
06-20-2007, 09:29 AM

good call.

CmonAussie
06-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Which slam is Hewitt winning?

Hopefully AO 08:cool:

marcRD
06-20-2007, 11:01 AM

Who is going to beat Federer?

CmonAussie
06-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Who is going to beat Federer?

Canas/Volandri:confused:

marcRD
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Canas/Volandri:confused:

Then you know you have the odds aganst you. :lol:

Hewitt would howevery have a great chanse to win any of the 3 fast grandslams if Federer for some reason wasnt participating in the later rounds.

liptea
06-20-2007, 01:17 PM
:cool: :rolleyes: :worship: :wavey: :p :angel: :eek:
Howdy guys >> thought I had an Idea for a thread! :wavey:
*So it looks like the Old Balls are just about done; Agassi is still holding out but I think he's maybe not going to win anymore slams. :rolleyes:
Therefore Old Balls Final Slam Tally
= Sampras 14; Agassi 8; Courier 4; Kafelnekov 2; Rafter 2; Chang 1; Ivanisavic 1; Kuerten 3(still more to come?); Moya 1(one more time?).

*#*-->>How about the New Generation, what will their final Slam tally's be?? This is what I foresee(Nostradamis eye wishfully looking 10-years down the track). :confused:
~~ Federer 8, Hewitt 7, Roddick 3, Ferrero 3, Safin 2, Nadal 4, Srichaphan 1(one-Slam-wonder will be OK when you're a trailblazer). :)

nice try on moya and guga. :( get those two off the beach!

stebs
06-20-2007, 01:24 PM

You are entitled to hope of course but you really predict this as well? I suppose you're a loyal fan but being realistic makes the good times better and if Hewitt wins the AO I will eat my words but tbh it is as likely as King Oscar failing to win Wimbledon, about 1%.

leng jai
06-20-2007, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't go that far. There are players that can take out Federer at the AO if they play exceptionally well, and you can't rule out injury even though Federer seems to never get injured. If you take Federer out of the equation Hewitt would be in the top 5 favourites to win.

stebs
06-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't go that far. There are players that can take out Federer at the AO if they play exceptionally well, and you can't rule out injury even though Federer seems to never get injured. If you take Federer out of the equation Hewitt would be in the top 5 favourites to win.

The AO is his least favourite fast court surface but yes I guess you're right. He can't be written off but I don't like his chances against Nadal on that surface either and it's unlikely they are both getting beat early leaving a path for Hewitt, even if it were to happen Hewitt is not heavy favourite or anything like that.

leng jai
06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Lleyton doesn't like the AO as much as Wimbledon and the US but the advantage is that the slower surface at the AO means he can't be blown off the court like he can at the US. For example, Roddick gave Hewitt a beat down at the US last year, but I can easily envisage the opposite result had it been at the AO. Hewitt can grind more effectively at the AO. Wimbledon is different due to the abundance of grass court gimps. A lot depends on how he finishes this year and if he can get a few decent GS runs to build up his confidence and regain the mental edge which won him so many matches back in 2001/02

Lleytonisthebest
06-20-2007, 01:55 PM
he also needs to climb back the rankings just to avoid nadal or federer in the early stages

stebs
06-20-2007, 01:56 PM
he also needs to climb back the rankings just to avoid nadal or federer in the early stages
In terms of winning a slam it doesn't make that much difference if Hewitt has to play them anyway. As far as Federer is concerned I think it would benefit Hewitt to play him earlier when he is not at his best.

Jimnik
06-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Everytime these old threads are bumped up, it makes everyone realize just how spectacular Ferrero's drop was.

If I would have made a prediction back then, I would have estimated:

Federer 9-10 slams
Roddick 4-5
Ferrero 3-4
Safin 3-4
Hewitt 3-4

And yet with all this unpredictability, tennis couldn't have become more predictable. With this Fed-Nadal dominance over the last few years, everyone knew who all the slam winners would be, except for the AO 2005.

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM

Close but its

Fed 12
Djoko 14
Nadal 15

Stensland
06-20-2007, 06:13 PM
IF lleyton would win the ao 08, i think he'd retire after that.

thrust
06-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I doubt that Hewitt or Safin will ever win another Slam. Roddick has a chance at Wimnledon, as long as he doesn^t have to play Roger. A healthy rested Nadal can win on any surface, especially the AO, and obviously the FO. Gasquet will never win a Slam. As long as Roger and Nadal are at their best, the rest of the field has little chance to win Slams. The lack not only the game, but even more so, the mentality to win Slams.

Johnny Groove
06-20-2007, 08:56 PM
:cool: Yeah that was 2005;)
At the 2004 AO Nadal was already making a name for himself~~ having lost the final of Auckland in the lead up!!
Though Hewitt def Nadal in straight sets that year everyone who watched could see that Rafa was dictating a lot of the play [& was unlucky to lose the 1st two set tie breakers]..

By 2005 Nadal was quite a star with a big following thanks to his Davis Cup heroics in Dec 04 [where he took down #2 Roddick]..

Still in early 2005 nobody could have predicted how dominant Nadal was going to become on clay-->>
The 1st glimpse of Nadal`s clay court dominance came in February 05 when he won Costa De Souipe & Acapulco back-to-back!!

BTW,-that match with Youzhny [Rd.2 05 AO] was the 1st time Nadal had ever won a match in 5-sets:cool:

yep, i remember all that. That AO 05 match with hewitt was insane :worship:

Also, early 2k4 was big for him. He won the doubles title just the week before Auckland, in Chennai with Robredo. Then he lost to Hrbaty in the auckland final, in a close 3 setter. I felt bad for him, i thought for sure hed win that one

ChrisDoesDallas
06-21-2007, 07:12 AM
I'll still stand by Gasquet and Berdych, I see both of them winning a slam at some point, or at least making a final or two. I really hope Djokovic doesn't win one. I'd love Murray to win several, he's been my favorite youngster since last year. I think Safin can grind out one more slam one day. The rest will go to Federer or Nadal save major injury.

bokehlicious
06-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Close but its

Fed 12
Djoko 14
Nadal 15

:eek: :eek: 2 more slams for the ego king ?!?! What the hell are you on ? :confused: :confused: you sound like a Fedtard ! :o

CmonAussie
10-17-2007, 09:09 AM

so far the story is:

Fed: 12
Nadal: 3
Djokovic: 0

~~~
i guess you didn`t figure on FED taking out RAFA @ the Wimby final [again]:p & NOLE @ the USO final:cool:

Tabledott
10-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Federer : 23 - 25
Nadal : 6
Nole : 3
My predictions:
08:
AO Federer
FO Nadal
WM Federer
UO Federer

09:
AO Federer
FO Federer
WM Federer
UO Federer

10:
AO Djokovic
FO Nadal
WM Federer
UO Federer

Then I don't know

LocoPorElTenis
10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Federer : 23 - 25
Nadal : 6
Nole : 3
My predictions:
08:
AO Federer
FO Nadal
WM Federer
UO Federer

09:
AO Federer
FO Federer
WM Federer
UO Federer

10:
AO Djokovic
FO Nadal
WM Federer
UO Federer

Then I don't know

Please give me something of what you're smoking :smoke:

stebs
10-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Federer gets one or two in '08, one in '09 and one more in his career, probably '10. That means he would either end with 15 or with 16.

Nadal probably gets 6-9 slams and I will go for 8 if his body holds up. I see those coming with three from RG, one AO and one Wimbledon.

I see Djokovic getting 4-6 slams in his career. I will go for five, 3 AO's, 1 USO and 1 of either Wimbledon or RG.

Frooty_Bazooty
10-17-2007, 11:38 AM
ah old threads with no fighting in them, they were the good old days :sad:

Tabledott
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Please give me something of what you're smoking :smoke:

Are you ready to bet with me that Fed will win more that 20 GS ?

CmonAussie
10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Federer gets one or two in '08, one in '09 and one more in his career, probably '10. That means he would either end with 15 or with 16.

Nadal probably gets 6-9 slams and I will go for 8 if his body holds up. I see those coming with three from RG, one AO and one Wimbledon.

I see Djokovic getting 4-6 slams in his career. I will go for five, 3 AO's, 1 USO and 1 of either Wimbledon or RG.

..i agree with you mostly:cool:
though with Rafa & Nole i`d stick with the lower end of the ranges you suggest.

FED gets 16-majors

RAFA with 6

NOLE with 4

CmonAussie
10-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Federer 9+
Safin 5+
Nalbandian 4+
Roddick 2
Nadal 4+
Ferrero 3+
=29 or more!

FED`s already got 12:p
Safin`s stuck on 2:sad:
Nalbandian`s going to retire with his lone TMC to console him:eek:
Roddick will be very lucky to ever win another!
Hewitt will be very lucky to ever win another:sad:
Nadal`s already got 3:cool:
Ferrero has 1 & it`s been 4yrs since he won any tourney:o

World Beater
10-17-2007, 11:48 PM
ppl said federer would win max 8-10 slams. i thought it was a conservative cowardly prediction when he won W in 03. I still think its conservative now to say federer will win 15 slams.

When federer, the little boy defeated KING sampras at W at the age of 18 years, it was pretty obvious to me what would happen the following years. It was only a matter of time.

Alex999
10-18-2007, 12:16 AM
ppl said federer would win max 8-10 slams. i thought it was a conservative cowardly prediction when he won W in 03. I still think its conservative now to say federer will win 15 slams.

When federer, the little boy defeated KING sampras at W at the age of 18 years, it was pretty obvious to me what would happen the following years. It was only a matter of time.

Wasn't Federer 22 yo in 2003?

LocoPorElTenis
10-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Are you ready to bet with me that Fed will win more that 20 GS ?

You said he'd win 25, including 6 in a row between 2008 and 2009. I'm willing to bet whatever you're smoking that that's not going to happen :haha:

LocoPorElTenis
10-18-2007, 12:21 AM

Did you say it in 2003? No, you're saying it in 2007. It's easy to call other cowards in hindsight :rolleyes:

World Beater
10-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Did you say it in 2003? No, you're saying it in 2007. It's easy to call other cowards in hindsight :rolleyes:

yes i did.

btw. i didnt call ppl cowardly. I said their predictions were cowardly. there is a difference. Nobody was willing to take a risk on this guy but the talent was obvious. All that was needed was confirmation of his mindset, and it was confirmed when he started winning slams.

When federer won 3 slams in 04, the wisest posters on MTF said that would never happen again. Guess what? it happened twice more.

Ppl are now saying that federer will win 3 slams the rest of his career, and he is only 26 yrs old now? If he is healthy, i think that is a very pessimistic prediction.

Federer says he will play till 2012. If healthy, he wins five more slams at least i would think. That is a more realistic prediction. An adventurous prediction would be 20 slams.

leng jai
10-18-2007, 12:24 AM

Yeah I'm sure you predicted this kind of domination :rolleyes: What other things are you seeing right now? You must be a rich man to have that kind of foresight. Please enlighten us oh chosen one.

LocoPorElTenis
10-18-2007, 12:25 AM
yes i did.

And we should take your word for it?

Good signature by the way.

World Beater
10-18-2007, 12:38 AM
And we should take your word for it?

Good signature by the way.

thanks. I dont care if you do or don't. But i have been wrong about other players and admitted it.

I was wrong about nadal, but when i say him play against agassi in canada on HC and saw how he transitioned his game to HC. I knew he wasn't just another amazing dirtballer. i admitted my mistake then.

World Beater
10-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Wasn't Federer 22 yo in 2003?

he was 18 when he beat sampras.

World Beater
10-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah I'm sure you predicted this kind of domination :rolleyes: What other things are you seeing right now? You must be a rich man to have that kind of foresight. Please enlighten us oh chosen one.

federer is one of a kind in tennis.

btw. lundgren, rafter, and ivanisevic all said federer would be among the greatest even before he started to win 3 slams a year.

At the moment there is nothing else to see for me, so im sorry i cant provide any predictions :sad: . But i will say that nadal is not going to win only 6 if he is healthy. Djokovic will also win more than 3 slams at the least if his body holds up. I know nadal and djokovic IF HEALTHY are going to be GREAT players.

There are many variables in tennis. Healthy and mental ability being two of the most important ones. With federer, it was always about how healthy he was going to be as talent and mental toughness were not huge questions for me when federer started winning slams.

Federer has a body type and style that is not conducive to injury. His training and professionalism has also contributed to his conditioning as an athlete. It's no surprise to me that federer is dominating the way he is given how he is able to maintain his body.

Burrow
10-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Just realized this was an old thread. Laughed at somebody saying Roddick would end up with 10-11 slams and Hewitt 7? :spit:

Burrow
10-18-2007, 12:51 AM

He was 19 not 18. Not far from 20.

World Beater
10-18-2007, 12:54 AM
He was 19 not 18. Not far from 20.

yes you are right. But if he was 18, he wouldn't be that far from 19 either.;)

World Beater
10-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Federer 9+
Safin 5+
Nalbandian 4+
Roddick 2
Nadal 4+
Ferrero 3+
=29 or more!

credit to this post. i would have never predicted nadal to be +4 in 2004.

World Beater
10-18-2007, 01:02 AM
btw. in clarification, I probably should have not used the word "cowardly", but i do think max 8 slams is a conservative prediction for a player if healthy with the talent and mind of federer.

Some people are saying federer wont have one more year of 3 slams. Im willing to say he has one more at the least before he retires.

i like this kind of thread because it is nice vindication for fans who have been following a player since the beginning when he was called a choker, wasted talent etc.

spencercarlos
10-18-2007, 04:51 AM

Spot on!! :)

CmonAussie
10-18-2007, 06:18 AM
credit to this post. i would have never predicted nadal to be +4 in 2004.

well i made the same prediction [in the original post that began this thread];)
on the 5th of March 2004 [recalling Nadal`s strong showing @ AO, where he pushed Hewitt]>> i predicted Nadal would win 4-slams:cool:

CmonAussie
10-18-2007, 06:22 AM
there is no way in a million billion years that srichaphan will ever win a slam. he hasnt got an ice cubes chance in hell

unfortunately you were completely right:cool: ,& i was completely wrong:sad: ..

i really thought Srichaphan was going to become the 1st Asian born slam champion:angel: ,alas we`re still waiting:sad: for an Asian slam [though it may happen in the women`s (already got a couple of womens doubles slams)]:cool:

World Beater
10-18-2007, 06:25 AM
well i made the same prediction [in the original post that began this thread];)
on the 5th of March 2004 [recalling Nadal`s strong showing @ AO, where he pushed Hewitt]>> i predicted Nadal would win 4-slams:cool:

i remember another thread where you made the prediction and I believed i acknowledged you there as well. at least i think i did.:)

CmonAussie
10-18-2007, 06:34 AM
i remember another thread where you made the prediction and I believed i acknowledged you there as well. at least i think i did.:)

:cool:
cheers world beater mate.
~~thanks for your contributions to the thread!