Rusedski to play on next season [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rusedski to play on next season

Agassi Aces
09-26-2006, 05:55 PM
I was just wondering, is Greg Rusedski scheduled to play any more ATP events or ATP Challenger events this season? He confirmed during the Davis Cup at the weekend that he will play one more Davis Cup tie in England in April and one more Wimbledon next July.

Horatio Caine
09-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I was just wondering, is Greg Rusedski scheduled to play any more ATP events or ATP Challenger events this season? He confirmed during the Davis Cup at the weekend that he will play one more Davis Cup tie in England in April and one more Wimbledon next July.

No more ATP events...not sure about challengers. He isn't as motivated as he was before...if he could guarantee WCs to his favourite tournies next year I'd be confident he'd call it quits for the year and wait until 2007 before he plays competitvely again.

He might play some of the big challengers e.g. Luxembourg...but he won't go any lower than that I wouldn't think.

Horatio Caine
11-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I guess I usually know what is going on with most Brits...but he really has gone off the radar :confused:

Is he just resting ahead of next year? I'm thinking he'll retire immediately after Wimbledon...or maybe at the US Open if his ranking will get him in. But I'll be surprised if he has thrown in the towel right now as he has got his wish...a DC tie at home with the added bonus of our opposition being fairly respectable.

Also...has Arvind Parmar officially retired? :scratch:

Thanks for any info :yeah:

TheHawk
11-05-2006, 10:32 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5366606.stm

Horatio Caine
11-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks for that...but that doesn't answer the question :confused:

TheHawk
11-05-2006, 11:02 AM
That's the most recent news I found :)

Deathless Mortal
11-05-2006, 12:26 PM
He's old. :p

Dancing Hero
11-05-2006, 12:34 PM
If he had stayed Canadian, he probably would have won some big titles. When he switched to being a British tennis player, he was doomed.:) It's the curse of Fred Perry.

:D :devil: :wavey:

Forever-Delayed
11-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I guess I usually know what is going on with most Brits...but he really has gone off the radar :confused:

Is he just resting ahead of next year? I'm thinking he'll retire immediately after Wimbledon...or maybe at the US Open if his ranking will get him in. But I'll be surprised if he has thrown in the towel right now as he has got his wish...a DC tie at home with the added bonus of our opposition being fairly respectable.

Also...has Arvind Parmar officially retired? :scratch:

Thanks for any info :yeah:

The last I had heard was that he wanted to play at least once more in the UK, and that he wanted to play one more Wimbledon and one more Davis Cup tie, which i guess he might do.

He'll probably retire after Wimbledon next year

Saying that, he is in the alternate list for a challenger in Ukraine next week

Arvind Parmar has officially retired... it was announced at the challenger in Nottingham a couple weeks ago

Horatio Caine
11-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Arvind Parmar has officially retired... it was announced at the challenger in Nottingham a couple weeks ago

:sad:

adee-gee
11-05-2006, 02:50 PM
It's ok, we have some good youngsters coming through :p

And there's always Ian Flanagan :hearts: :worship:

TMJordan
11-05-2006, 02:51 PM
I can tell you this about Rusedski....

He beat Boredo on clay this year :haha::haha::haha:

Horatio Caine
11-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I can tell you this about Rusedski....

He beat Boredo on clay this year :haha::haha::haha:

Yeah I know :confused:

But boy was it funny! :haha: :haha: :haha:

*Ljubica*
11-05-2006, 03:48 PM
The last I had heard was that he wanted to play at least once more in the UK, and that he wanted to play one more Wimbledon and one more Davis Cup tie, which i guess he might do.

He'll probably retire after Wimbledon next year

Saying that, he is in the alternate list for a challenger in Ukraine next week

Yes - I heard the same. Even if he is not ranked high enough for direct entry into Wimbledon, he'll get a Wild Card there for sure and then retire after that. I read somewhere that he said now that he is a Father, his priorities have obviously changed -and he doesn't want to travel so much and miss his daughter growing up. He is already doing some commentary work for Sky so I doubt he will be short of money or job offers :) Didn't know about Parmar though - he wasn't that old was he?

safin-rules-no.1
11-05-2006, 03:51 PM

im devastated:rolleyes:

MarcelaTauro
11-05-2006, 09:58 PM

He done the right thing

coral
11-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I think he's dithering and also practising to become a TV pundit.
Greg has always been prone to injury and doubt he'll continue next season at age 33. I have never thought he was anywhere near as good a player as Tim Henman though they both achieved the same ranking og 4 in the world and Greg has more titles.

buddyholly
11-05-2006, 11:09 PM
When you are ranked 203 it is hard to get into tournaments. After a couple of wins on clay at the beginning of the year it has been all first round losses and a plummet in the rankings. At his age he is not about to play quallies, so he just won't get into any more tournaments, except a wild card for Wimbledon.

Agassi Aces
11-16-2006, 08:47 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6150296.stm

Rusedski's career in the balance

Rusedski has not played since September
Former British number one Greg Rusedski says he is yet to decide whether he will continue playing next season.
The 33-year-old has a long-term hip injury which may need surgery and he has lost his place in the top 200.

"My future is by no means decided and I'm still weighing up my options," said Rusedski, who lost to Stefan Koubek in a Ukraine challenger on Wednesday.

"I feel I've got some good tennis left, but I have to listen to my body and make the right call at the right time."

Rusedski's ranking means he no longer qualifies automatically for ATP Tour events.

The 33-year-old was in Ukraine attempting to build up his form ahead of his appearance in the Aberdeen Cup exhibition event next week.

However, after knocking out Kenneth Carlsen in the first round Rusedski lost 3-6 6-3 6-3 to Koubek.

Rusedski's agent at IMG told BBC Sport she was in discussions with the former world number four regarding his schedule for next season, but no decisions would be taken until December.

"It's fantastic to be able to pass on the baton to someone with as big a future as Andy"
Greg Rusedski

However, the Briton has made no secret of his desire to play at least one more Davis Cup tie on home soil.

That may mean Rusedski delays his retirement until after Britain's encounter with the Netherlands in April.

Rusedski will face team-mate Andy Murray at the England v Scotland Aberdeen Cup on 25 and 26 November.

The veteran paid tribute to the 19-year-old's progress over the last season.

"It's fantastic to be able to pass on the baton to someone with as big a future as Andy," he said.

"He's an exceptional talent. His first ATP title in San Jose and his victory over Roger Federer in Cincinnati showed that he can mix it with the very best and he deserves all the success that comes his way.

"He's a fine ambassador for British tennis. He's extremely focused, passionate about the game, and I'm sure that he'll inspire kids all over the country to pick up a racket and give the sport a try."

LK_22
11-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Greg's waiting until the Davis Cup until he ends an impressive career :yeah:

R.Federer
11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Well I wish him the best. He's a new dad, and his game has been on the decline for a while. I never really cared too much about him, but I had a stretch when I disliked him for his crass "half a step too slow" outburst. Nevertheless, good luck in the rest of your life Gru!

Voo de Mar
11-16-2006, 09:24 PM
It's good time to retire...

CooCooCachoo
11-16-2006, 09:29 PM
He should retire somewhere bigger than Dnepropetrovsk or Shrewbury :tape:

revolution
11-16-2006, 09:32 PM
He'll probably play Wimbledon one last time and go out there although not with the publicity of Agassi.

Agassi Aces
11-16-2006, 09:43 PM
On Five Live he said his tentative schedule for 2007 (his final year on the tour) would be:

Auckland
Australian Open
San Jose
Indian Wells TMS
Miami TMS
Davis Cup First Round, Birmingham
Rome TMS
French Open, Paris
Queens
Nottingham
Wimbledon

This obviously relies heavily on wildcards for Qualifying and Main Entry.

Horatio Caine
11-16-2006, 11:43 PM
He has to be having a laugh with a couple of those! :haha: Rome and Paris? He detests clay...and he hasn't a chance in hell of getting a WC or qualifying for them.

Auckland should give him WC as past champion...plus their own players are hopeless. The Aussies should give us something back for once as we've given them WCs...doubt San José would give him one...possibly 1 of IW / Miami...no need to talk about our events...I'd love to see him this year in what will be his final Nottingham...would be totally awesome.

I have a feeling Henman could be playing DC in April...if Greg goes as well, we'll have the "Dream Team" together for one tie...that would be wicked! But to be eligible for DC, I think he has to play some matches before then...

shotgun
11-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Rusedski deserves as many WCs as Henman gets.

Agassi Aces
11-25-2006, 07:10 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6182870.stm

Rusedski to play on next season

Rusedski does not know if he will play another Wimbledon
Ex-British number one Greg Rusedski says he will play on next season and wants to represent Great Britain in the Davis Cup in April.
The 33-year-old has a long-term hip injury and has slipped to 193rd in the world, leading him to previously hint he might retire at the end of 2006.

But he told the Sun on Saturday: "I'm definitely going to play next year, I don't know how much.

"If I have to, I'll play a few smaller events, maybe some Challengers."

Britain face Holland in Birmingham in April and Rusedski has made no secret of his desire to play at least one more Davis Cup tie on home soil.

"I've spoken to (Davis Cup coach) John Lloyd and if selected, I'd love to play in Birmingham," he said.

"To maintain my fitness, I will try to get a few wildcards to events," added Rusedski, who will not be heading to Australia for the start of the season.

British number four Rusedski said he did not know if he would be competing at Wimbledon in June.

"I cannot look that far ahead," he said. "I enjoy my tennis and it's difficult to know when to call it a day. I am closer to the end, I know that."

This weekend Rusedski is playing for an England side against Scotland in the Aberdeen Cup, an exhibition event which also features British number one Andy Murray.

jazar
11-25-2006, 08:03 AM
although his experience would be beneficial to the davis cup team, i don't think he can realistically expect to win if he is selected. he only just scraped passed stakhovsky in the last round and holland, although not the strongest team, are better than the ukraine.
if he really wants to play though, he should play lots of challengers to build up his form.
i think he will play wimbledon. they are bound to offer him a wildcard and its probably his favorite tournament so he may want to retire there.

LK_22
11-25-2006, 10:24 AM
although his experience would be beneficial to the davis cup team, i don't think he can realistically expect to win if he is selected. he only just scraped passed stakhovsky in the last round and holland, although not the strongest team, are better than the ukraine.
if he really wants to play though, he should play lots of challengers to build up his form.
i think he will play wimbledon. they are bound to offer him a wildcard and its probably his favorite tournament so he may want to retire there.

I don't know about that, remember the tie against the Ukraine was on red clay!
This time the surface will definitely favour Greg's game and I think if he has played enough matches he will be too strong for both Sluiter and whoever else they might pick, Haase maybe?

JustmeUK
11-25-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't know about that, remember the tie against the Ukraine was on red clay!
This time the surface will definitely favour Greg's game and I think if he has played enough matches he will be too strong for both Sluiter and whoever else they might pick, Haase maybe?

I'm not so sure. He still has a good serve but the given how his body is breaking down, he's now a good bit slower meaning he's not as good a S&Ver. I am not sure what Greg is trying to achieve. Graceful retirement befits him more than anything else.

Horatio Caine
11-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Great to see him giving it one more shot :yeah:

I don't agree with the Stakhovsky comment...I had him down to lose comfortably to the Ukranian...it was a very difficult match and not only did he come back from a large deficit, but he also did it on the surface most taxing to his game and body. It was a superb win.

You can't dismiss the Dutch at all...Sluiter is very strong on fast surfaces and has a mean game which is difficult to read. I don't know anything about Haase except he is a young player...they're always dangerous.

The fact is...if Henman comes forward for the tie, I can't see Rusedski playing a live rubber at all.

Blue Heart24
11-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Have a nice last year,Greg :yeah:

Mishka Logvi
11-25-2006, 11:28 AM
good i will bet against Greg! ::::))))

gusman890
11-25-2006, 01:22 PM
i hope so, i like watching him serve.

Jim Jones
11-25-2006, 01:24 PM
He should retire after playing the grass tournament in Rhode Island which is a week after Wimbledon. He had had decent results in that tournament and has a good chance of winning it if he is healthy. Most good players don't play there. If Henman played it he probably would have a grass title by now which surprisingly he does not. So competion is usually weak.

LK_22
11-25-2006, 03:26 PM
You can't dismiss the Dutch at all...Sluiter is very strong on fast surfaces and has a mean game which is difficult to read. I don't know anything about Haase except he is a young player...they're always dangerous.

The fact is...if Henman comes forward for the tie, I can't see Rusedski playing a live rubber at all.

Agree, but assuming Murray will win the two singles games, then Greg only needs to get the one win to assure victory. Sluiter is a tough player on his day, but will the surface benefit him against Greg? I would prefer Greg to go out on a high (and i'm sure that's what he wants) and barring injury, he would have prepared well for this tie

Would be great to see Henman, Murray and Rusedski all playing a part :yeah:

LK_22
11-25-2006, 03:30 PM
He should retire after playing the grass tournament in Rhode Island which is a week after Wimbledon. He had had decent results in that tournament and has a good chance of winning it if he is healthy. Most good players don't play there. If Henman played it he probably would have a grass title by now which surprisingly he does not. So competion is usually weak.

Yeah I don't know why Tim's never played at Newport either, seems the perfect place to pick up another tournament win.

Greg's still techinally the two-time defending champion there, he might want to keep his record at 10-0 for the last two tournaments played there, but it would be a great ending to his career if he finished with a title

Horatio Caine
11-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Agree, but assuming Murray will win the two singles games, then Greg only needs to get the one win to assure victory. Sluiter is a tough player on his day, but will the surface benefit him against Greg? I would prefer Greg to go out on a high (and i'm sure that's what he wants) and barring injury, he would have prepared well for this tie

Would be great to see Henman, Murray and Rusedski all playing a part :yeah:

I'd put Greg as 51/49 favourite for the match...purely because Sluiter's double-hander prevents him from hitting truly effective passing shots...and indoors will make it more difficult for him. But do you honestly see Greg breaking the Sluiter serve indoors with his pretty weak return? :help:

Horatio Caine
11-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah I don't know why Tim's never played at Newport either, seems the perfect place to pick up another tournament win.
Because Tim is above the MM tournaments...shame he doesn't understand the concept of winning the ones he enters though :help: