Head tennis racquets [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Head tennis racquets

khanazam
11-25-2006, 07:15 AM
hi guys. i just bought the head senior liquid metal 4 racket. i just dont understand this chart thing with the L6, L5,....,L1, S1, S2, S3, ...., S10.
This racquet I bought is an S4. Does that mean its for someone with a moderate swing motion? Also, what string tension do you guys recommend with this racquet. I have a big swing motion, a fast serve, generally i stay at the back and hit top spin and drop shits. thanks.

jazar
11-25-2006, 09:09 AM
S4 is for a moderate swing size and moderate power. i would recommend a tension at about 54

JustmeUK
11-25-2006, 11:12 AM
hi guys. i just bought the head senior liquid metal 4 racket. i just dont understand this chart thing with the L6, L5,....,L1, S1, S2, S3, ...., S10.
This racquet I bought is an S4. Does that mean its for someone with a moderate swing motion? Also, what string tension do you guys recommend with this racquet. I have a big swing motion, a fast serve, generally i stay at the back and hit top spin and drop shits. thanks.

Head uses L6/7 to S10 to describe how much power the racket has. L6/7 are generally recommended for players who can generate their own power. For example the Head Classic 600 (which is supposedly what Safin modifies for his own use) would be considered an L7. S10 are the most powerful rackets. The Liquidmetal 4 is not a bad racket. It's hard to know if it would be the best fit for your game. Big swing motions and fast serves and top spin all imply you have a certain grasp of the fundamentals and can play reasonably well. In which case you might be better off with something a little less powerful like the LM Instinct or even Radicals/Prestige. Then again as long as you are playing well with it.. who cares S4 or L6?

As for string tension start in the middle of the recommended range and hit with the racket. If you think it's too stiff (arm hurts then you're better off stringing a lower tension). If you want more control on your shots then go with a higher tension. Adjust in 2lb increments/decrements and test again.

Do a search for Tennis Warehouse and go look in their forums. They have a good section on gear (rackets/stringing/strings etc). Do watch yourself in there though. A lot of those guys like to think they can handle traditional old school rackets (like the Head Classic mentioned above - 12.4oz and small head of 93sq inches) when they would probably be better off with something a little more forgiving (less than 11.4oz and 98 sq inches up). Sometimes this is more an ego thing than an it helps my game thing.

avocadoe
11-25-2006, 12:50 PM
can I sneak in here? I am well over half a century old and play tennis 2 to 3times a week. I am a woman, slender, 100 pounds, 5 foot four, and have been playing with a Prince TT Attitude for about 4 years. About to buy a new racket, to have two stucks. Any suggestions? Tried a Babolot the other day and liked it on my groundies, more POP than the Prince but didn't like it for volleying. I like to volley. I have topspin on both sides, pretty long strokes, one handed BH. Yesterday the Prince OS3 I wanted to try was already out, so I took a very light, on sale Prince, and didn't like it. It swung fast but if I didn't put 100 percent of myself into it, had nothing on its own. So any thoughts will be much appreciated?

JustmeUK
11-25-2006, 01:28 PM
can I sneak in here? I am well over half a century old and play tennis 2 to 3times a week. I am a woman, slender, 100 pounds, 5 foot four, and have been playing with a Prince TT Attitude for about 4 years. About to buy a new racket, to have two stucks. Any suggestions? Tried a Babolot the other day and liked it on my groundies, more POP than the Prince but didn't like it for volleying. I like to volley. I have topspin on both sides, pretty long strokes, one handed BH. Yesterday the Prince OS3 I wanted to try was already out, so I took a very light, on sale Prince, and didn't like it. It swung fast but if I didn't put 100 percent of myself into it, had nothing on its own. So any thoughts will be much appreciated?

Hmm that depends on whether you want something similar or something different. Also you don't mention if u're using the oversize version (115sq inches +) or the midplus (110sq inch). If it's the ioversize and you want to stick with prince then the O3 Silver is the closest thing to what u're swinging. If it's the midplus then the O3 Blue or the oversize version of any of the new hybrid (hornet/shark/spectrum) lines have a similar headsize to the O3 Blue. Just try and demo all of them before you buy.

If u have the OS and want to try something different then the logical step would bhe to go to the midpluses mentioned above. If u're using a midplus and u want to try something different then try the 105sq inch frames which in the prince line would be the O3 red.

avocadoe
11-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Hmm that depends on whether you want something similar or something different. Also you don't mention if u're using the oversize version or the midplus. If it's the ioversize and you want to stick with prince then the O3 Silver is the closest thing to what u're swinging. If it's the midplus then the O3 Blue or the oversize version of any of the new hybrid (hornet/shark/spectrum) lines have a similar headsize to the O3 Blue. Just try and demo all of them before you buy.

Thanks:wavey: I don't like oversize...my Prince is mid-size I guess, will try your suggestions. I know Roger Federer's racket is all wrong for me but I'll have to try it :) I like the Prince feel, soft, no vibration. When I chose this racket five years ago I hadn't played tennis since the old wood days. Back then I played a LOT, hs and college team, and evey moment I had. But learning new strokes with the new equipment has been challenging!

Solat
11-27-2006, 03:32 AM

:eek: :umbrella: :lol:

Burrow
11-27-2006, 04:55 PM

really,now?

khanazam
11-30-2006, 09:18 PM
hahaha

GlennMirnyi
12-01-2006, 02:48 AM
In head, the longer swings are for L6. I use L4.