twist/top spin serve grip [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

twist/top spin serve grip

Derk
11-24-2006, 03:19 AM
I've been trying to do a twist serve using a western grip, it feels right for some reason, and I get the ball over the net at a fast speed and also generates alot of top spin because it bounces high. I was just wondering if my grip was right.....and I don't know if its called a twist or what it is.. thanks!

Solat
11-24-2006, 03:24 AM
:confused:

my teeny brain does not compute this concept

got some video footage?

Derk
11-24-2006, 03:31 AM
no...I can try getting some though

Derk
11-30-2006, 01:33 AM
It seems to be working fine...

GlennMirnyi
12-04-2006, 01:30 AM
You shouldn't use a western grip to serve.

jole
12-04-2006, 02:05 AM
Use continental, or eastern backhand (if you need more spin).

Solat
12-04-2006, 07:31 AM
the only thing i can comprehend here would be a banana serve ie reverse spin, and yeah you could use a W grip to make it easier but it makes it fairly obvious what you are going to do, its a bit of a novelty serve anyway

scarecrows
12-04-2006, 07:39 AM
you either:

1. don't know what a western grip is
2. don't know what a twist serve is (though I prefer to call it kick serve or topspin serve)

no bloody way you can get the ball high above the net with a grip like that

sodman12
12-04-2006, 03:33 PM
i understand what you are doing.

Guys hes using the western grip but making contact with the other side of the raquet face(not the side you would hit with if you were using it to hit a groundstroke)

Basicly hes just twisting the continental grip to the right which opens up the face of the raquet.

I do the same thing but not as extreme as i used to.

It is a twist serve by the way. although if your coming right over the top then it could be considered a topspin serve.

Solat
12-05-2006, 02:13 AM
i understand what you are doing.

Guys hes using the western grip but making contact with the other side of the raquet face(not the side you would hit with if you were using it to hit a groundstroke)

Basicly hes just twisting the continental grip to the right which opens up the face of the raquet.

I do the same thing but not as extreme as i used to.

It is a twist serve by the way. although if your coming right over the top then it could be considered a topspin serve.

i just read this post and walked out on court and hit 2 serves with this grip, this is the most crazy idea i have ever heard or tried, what possible advantage is there to using this

zicofirol
12-05-2006, 02:20 AM
i just read this post and walked out on court and hit 2 serves with this grip, this is the most crazy idea i have ever heard or tried, what possible advantage is there to using this

I imagine this is the serve where he gets lefty spin serving right handed, depending who you play agains it can be an advantage, at the lower levels it definately is, but if you play higher rec. level you might surprise people at first but they will get use to it.

sodman12
12-05-2006, 10:24 PM
No your still not understanding. Its not lefty spin.

Hold your raquet in western with the face of the raquet that will be hitting the ball (on a normal forehand) facing the ground.

Then make contact with the ball with the other side of the racquet.

If you still can grasp this concept then hold the racquet in continintal grip and twist the racquet clock wise untill the face is opened up almost paralell to the ground.

If you have any questions ask again. This tecnique works very well esp. for generating a lot of spin on your serve.

zicofirol
12-06-2006, 02:25 AM
I did it and aside form the grip there is nothing that odd about this serve, youre basically doing the same thing you would do on any spin serve except with a western grip...

sodman12
12-06-2006, 01:43 PM
it just helps with spin since instead of you making the racquet come over the ball your kinda helping it since the racquet is already in that position.