Has Hewitt difficulties when playing against topspin? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has Hewitt difficulties when playing against topspin?

Ace Tracker
08-13-2002, 02:54 AM
CINCINNATI, Ohio - Carlos Moya thinks he knows why he seems to have the beating of Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion Lleyton Hewitt.

Moya's 7-5 7-6 win over the Hewitt in the Cincinnati Masters final was his third win over the world number one this year.

"I realised he struggles when he plays against a Spanish guy or a South American," he said.

"After today he has lost nine matches this year and seven were against a Spanish or an Argentinean," Moya added.

"He doesn't like that game. I've been watching his matches and I realised that he was struggling with this kind of game.

"He feels better when the ball comes flat so I tried to put a lot of spin, tried to hit the ball hard, and it worked out pretty well."

Moya is one of the few men to hold a winning record over Hewitt, having beaten him in four out of their six matches, stretching back to their first encounter in Indian Wells in March 2000.

Cincinnati marked only Moya's second win over Hewitt on hard courts. His first came at the Australian Open in 2001, when Hewitt was hampered by a hamstring injury.

Hewitt admitted that Moya is "class" but denied that he struggled against Spaniards.

"Yeah I lost to a few of them this year but I don't think it gives me that much trouble. I think I've beaten them a lot as well. The guys I've lost to, they've been class players.

"You don't see the first rounds, when I chop up a lot of the Spanish and South American players as well."

Dissident
08-13-2002, 03:06 AM
I noticed Hewitt has a problem with high bounces. Whenever he needs to hit the ball on his shoulder level, or even not that high but over his perfect level, his accuracy goes down considerably.
As the spin can be responsible for that, I guess I agree.

lurker
08-13-2002, 03:14 AM
I think the problem only occurs when he is running to retrieve a high bouncing ball, especially to his backhand. He sends it back with less pace or accuracy, setting it up in his opponents hittingzone. He seems to handle kick serves to his backhand ok, especially because he is ready for these and has less ground to cover to get to these.

It is hard to flatten out a high bouncing ball hit at you with a lot of power, so those less powerful players may have been the ones he "chopped up".

However, Agassi also hits a heavy ball...he was able to handle Agassi I believe only through the strength of his serve during the quarterfinals. Serving at only 30% isn't going to help you win very many matches. Even though he was able to break Moya's serve, he wasn't able to hold his own, something he does so well usually by getting cheap points off the first serve. His first serve was lost somewhere in the wilderness during that final.:rolleyes:

Dissident
08-13-2002, 03:22 AM
Lurker elaborated a lot better than I could. And I couldnt agree more. Thanks! :)

Goonergal
08-13-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by lurker
His first serve was lost somewhere in the wilderness during that final.:rolleyes:

I like this quote Lurker! Don't ask me where it went :o But he'll do better next time :)

tennischick
08-13-2002, 12:58 PM
MOya is absolutely right. the Agassi comparison is not relevant bec Agassi hits a heavier flatter ball, not with as much topspin as the Spaniards and Argentineans. this is why Hewitt can beat him. Hewitt is also very fast on his feet -- his major 'weapon' and he can out-Agassi Agassi.

against the Spaniards it's another matter. i actually first noticed this weakness in Hewitt's game in the match against Jarkko who tended to kick his balls up high to both the Hewitt and forehand and backhand. Hewitt lost the first set and didn't find his way into the match until well into the second.

i think Moya is right.

TheBoiledEgg
08-13-2002, 01:02 PM
anyway Carlos has the potato's number so i'm :D