Seeds? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Seeds?

lurker
08-13-2002, 02:47 AM
As of now, Pete Sampras is number 17 on the entry list. He has final points to defend at Long Island. He's not entered in Indianapolis or Washington as far as I know. Can it be that he will not be seeded in the top 16 for the US Open?!?!?!?

When is the seeding finalized? After this week? Or now?

Dissident
08-13-2002, 03:56 AM
The seeds are made according to next week´s rankings. I think Pete didnt enter any tournament in this week last year, so his points wont change. The problem is that the players right over him on the rankings dont have points to defend either, so I dont believe he can get to the top 16 before the US. But maybe one of the players above him pull out, then he would be seeded 16.
I guess thats right, but I wouldnt gamble my life on it... :p

lurker
08-13-2002, 04:14 AM
Sampras unseeded? (rubbing hands with glee...evil grin forming):D

Lucas Arg
08-13-2002, 07:21 AM
I am glad Canas and Nalbandian are 15 and 16:) ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-13-2002, 08:13 AM
I'm glad Ferrero is still in the top 8 :D

Nacho
08-13-2002, 03:46 PM
I'm glad I agree with Becca :D

TheBoiledEgg
08-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Johansson might w.d so Pete might get in

anyway it won't make a difference as Pete is highly unlikely to make week 2

Hurley
08-13-2002, 08:50 PM
Sampras won't be UNseeded; remember there are 32 seeds these days :rolleyes:

TJ looks unlikely to play so the jackass may scrape out the #16 seed after all...

And he has made the final the last two years; Sampras goes farther in the US Open than any other tournament because he gets every other day off and a lot of night matches :rolleyes:

And I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see the USTA mess with the seedings this year, on both the men's AND the women's side, to benefit Sampras, Davenport, Agassi, Rubin at the expense of Hingis, Henin/Clijsters, Safin, Haas et al. :mad:

TheBoiledEgg
08-13-2002, 09:17 PM
I bet they put Yevgeny 5-8 range and if they did that he won't play simple as that
I can see others boycotting as well

Dissident
08-14-2002, 12:19 AM
If Wimbledon wasnt to open a precedent (sp?)...
This is just stupid. Rankings are made for that. How can they want to mess with the seeds? Stupid idiots! :mad:

Hurley
08-14-2002, 05:19 AM
I have a feeling that since Davenport will go in ranked #9, they will move her up into the Top 8, bumping out Hingis...or Henin if they go easy on Hingis like they would for Davenport....since it would be ludicrous to bump up Lindsay and not Martina...

So either way my girls end up screwed :mad:

Just you watch Sampr-ass get moved into Top 16 or even Top 8....just you watch :rolleyes:

TennisHack
08-14-2002, 05:56 AM
I didn't think the US Open messed with seeds like Wimbledon did. Wimbly likes to seed according to grass results, they don't care about the entry system :rolleyes: :fiery: but I thought the other slams were more or less true to the rankings.

lurker
08-14-2002, 06:07 AM
Hmmm...I remember Steffi Graf got a special seeding here in 1998. Could be that Lindsay could get the same thing. I see no way they can justify moving up the Monkey Man...he gets what he's ranked on the entry system. I'm hoping someone else overtakes him 'cause if Johanssen is pulling out, TBE is right, he'll sneak in to the top 16.:o

TennisHack
08-14-2002, 06:22 AM
Well, an injury protected ranking is one thing, but I didn't think they blatantly moved people around.

Tommy Jo is talking surgery, so here's hoping someone else passes Pete as well!

Chloe le Bopper
08-14-2002, 08:49 AM
If they move Davenport over Hingis I'll be totally appalled - both have only won the event once, Hingis has been in more finals, and hasn't lost before the semis since 1996, correct?

If they do this it will be clear pro American bias, and i would hope there was an outcry.

anyway it won't make a difference as Pete is highly unlikely to make week 2

As much as I'd like to agree, haven't we been saying that for a couple of years now ;)

TheBoiledEgg
08-14-2002, 10:19 AM
but this year he's been worse than the two previous years

he's been losing to the Mr Nobodies of this world this year but oops i forgot isn't 2002 the year of the Mr Nobody :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 12:51 PM
2002 IS the year of Mr nobodies, but hewitt did ruin that a little bit :fiery:

Maybe someone can put it back to the nobodies at the US Open :D :D :D

You GO Justin Gimblestob *snicker*