Sounds like we all should've been on the Kiwis! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sounds like we all should've been on the Kiwis!

Mr Flamboyant
11-13-2006, 07:55 AM
In light of today's news re Pom halfback Sean Long .. looks like he may have CASHED IN HIS LAST CHIPS!!:lol:

dave nz
11-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Been real busy today havn't heard anything, link to the story mate ?

Mr Flamboyant
11-13-2006, 11:45 AM
^ mate unaware of any direct web links but fox broke the story so foxsports.com.au would no doubt have something ..

Word is Long was sent packing over a "gambling issue" .. apparently involving saturday's tri-nations test. It's not the first time Long has been in trouble over this, he was found guilty of betting against his Super League side (in a game he was playing) a few years ago!

Straby
11-13-2006, 12:25 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/international_and_australian/6142442.stm ;)
There is a paragraph about betting in the article, but sounds like he went home to be with his pregnant wife..

bad gambler
11-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Nah he was just completely pissed on the plane back from Wellington after they lost on Saturday...

Long is an interesting case - in 2004 St Helens were due to play Bradford on Good Friday, at the time it was billed as being the game of the season but the then coach Millward tactically pulled all his starters basically on the morning of the game as Saints had to back up and play on the Easter Monday therefore played a whole heap of academy players instead.

Of course the night before both teams were quoted as dead evens in the market, so Long and Gleeson bet against the Saints on The Thursday when they knew they were not playing at the evens. When the word got out literally hours before kickoff that Millward had changed his team there was obviously a plunge in the odds for the Bulls, they went from evens to around $1.05 in a matter of minutes...

Long and Gleeson were suspended for 6 months, Saints were hit with a $25k pound fine for changing their team literally an hour from kick off.

You ask why I know all this? Because I was on the Saints in a large way that day and was completely helpless when I saw them move from $1.95 to $11 before I realised what was going on.

Millward is the scum of the earth as far as I am concerned, I was glad he got the punt from St Helens couple of years ago and ever since no club has wanted him, god forbid an NRL club would ever want his services in the future.

Personally don't have an issue of players backing themselves, however clearly backing their opponents should be cracked down and as far as I am concerned Long and Gleeson are very lucky to still be playing league, should have been done for life IMO

dave nz
11-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Personally don't have an issue of players backing themselves, however clearly backing their opponents should be cracked down and as far as I am concerned Long and Gleeson are very lucky to still be playing league, should have been done for life IMO

This is an issue I have a strong opinion on and something I have gone into quite deeply at the site I help run cappersmall.
Basically for the future survival and well being of sports and sportsbetting, the powers that be on any sport need to come down on such cases as the Long and Gleeson one in a way that acts as a serious deterrent. Life bans would be fine with me too. There have been numerous cases over the years on various sports and a slap with a wet bus ticket like a fine or suspension doesn't cut it. You want to stamp it out life bans are what is required in what should treated very seriously.