Guga in Indian Wells! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Guga in Indian Wells!

Billabong
03-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Ok guys here's our Indian Wells thread:)! Last year Guga reached the final and played great, let's hope he can repeat some good performance this year!!!

GOOOOOO GUGZ:D!!!!!!

star
03-02-2004, 12:36 PM
:yippee: Guga!

One of my fondest memories of IW is sitting up high on one of the grandstand courts watching some match I can't remember with Guga practicing on the court behind me. His moan/groan accompanited the match... the twilight was beautiful..... the temperature perfect... and the sounds... lovely. :)

Billabong
03-02-2004, 12:40 PM
wow star:)! Will you return there this year?? I would adore to be there:)!

amethyst
03-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Star, I hope you get to SEE him this year, not only hearing the soundtrack... ;)

Lee
03-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Fonte: EQUIPE GUGA

Three days after winning the two-time Brasil Open championship, in Bahia, Gustavo Kuerten is back to practice, but on a different type of surface, the hard court. He is going to the United States next week, to play the first two Masters Series events of the season, Indian Wells and Miami.

“Right now we are focus on the preparation for the Masters Series events and it is great because we’ve got 10 days to recover and to practice, after a month of clay court play,” said Guga, who was last year’s runner-up at the Masters Series Indian Wells.

Guga will go on with the same practice routine, which preceded the ATP Auckland, last January, also played on hard court, with emphasis on the approach and volleys.

The Masters Series Indian Wells, which will last 10 days for the first time, begins on March 12. The Masters Series Miami begins on January 24.

Iker1
03-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Guga!Go!!

Wojtek
03-06-2004, 04:57 AM
Go Guga

Billabong
03-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the article Lee:)! When does the draw come out??

amethyst
03-07-2004, 11:25 AM
According to the tournaments official website the men´s draw is made on tuesday, march 9 and the main draw matches start on friday, march 12. The women start their main draw matches on wednesday. On monday and tuesday there will be qualifiying matches.
So we´ll have to wait quite long until Guga gets into action.

Lee
03-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Anybody knows when Guga will be in Indian Wells?

Billabong
03-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Guga usually gets to big tournaments in the middle of the precedent week, so I expect him to be there Tuesday or Wednesday! I'll try to find an article:)!

amethyst
03-08-2004, 08:39 PM
I just read on terra that Guga will leave for IW on Tuesday. The article also said that Guga was elected atp player of the month for February (I hope I can rely on my non-existing portuguese ;) ), but it´s not confirmed on the atp site yet.

Lee
03-08-2004, 09:29 PM
I just read on terra that Guga will leave for IW on Tuesday. The article also said that Guga was elected atp player of the month for February (I hope I can rely on my non-existing portuguese ;) ), but it´s not confirmed on the atp site yet.

Thanks for the info. I read the same thing from Guga's site so I think we can congrate Guga!

GO GUGA!!!!!!!!!!

Billabong
03-08-2004, 11:06 PM
YEAH GUGA you rock:)! Thanks for the info guys:D!!!

go gugzzzzzz:)!!!

Iker1
03-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Hi,everyone.
Does anyone know anything about the draw?
Tell us,ok?Thanks!
Go,Guga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billabong
03-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi Sadie,
the draw will be out today in the afternoon! We'll post it here:)!

Iker1
03-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi Sadie,
the draw will be out today in the afternoon! We'll post it here:)!
Hi,Seb! :wavey:
Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!

Billabong
03-10-2004, 12:34 AM
MAIN DRAW

1 Roger Federer vs bye
Ivo Karlovic vs Andrei Pavel
Jurgen Melzer vs Victor Hanescu
25 Fernando Gonzáles vs bye

18 Mardy Fish vs bye
Qualy vs Bohdan Ulhirach
Todd Martin vs Goran Ivanisevic
16 Jiri Novak

10 Paradorn Srichapan vs bye
Thomas Enqvist vs Tommy Haas
Filippo Volandri vs Guillermo Cañas
23 Albert Costa vs bye

32 Juan Ignacio Chela vs bye
Qualy vs Alberto Martín
Qualy vs Thomas Johansson
8 Lleyton Hewitt vs bye

4 Guillermo Coria vs bye
Mario Ancic vs Sargis Sargsian
Alex Bogomolov Jr vs Qualy
27 Marx Mirnyi vs bye

24 Arnaud Clement vs bye
Mariano Zabaleta vs Raemon Sluiter
Davide Sanguinetti vs Fabrice Santoro
13 Sebastian Grosjean vs bye

12 Mark Philippoussis vs bye
Hyung-Taik Lee vs Mikhail Youzhny
Wesley Moodie vs Luis Horna
20 Feliciano López vs bye

31 Dominik Hrbaty vs bye
Xavier Malisse vs Karol Beck
David Sánchez vs Cyril Saulnier
4 Andre Agassi vs bye

6 Rainer Schuettler vs bye
Qualy vs Qualy
Qualy vs Brian Vahaly
28 Jonas Bjorkman vs bye

18 Tommy Robredo vs bye
David Ferrer vs Alex Corretja
Félix Mantilla vs Qualy
9 Tim Henman vs bye

14 Sjeng Schalken vs bye
Gastón Gaudio vs Nicolás Escudé
Nicolás Kiefer vs Flavio Saretta
21 Vincent Spadea vs bye

30 Marat Safin vs bye
Qualy vs Nikolay Davydenko
Jan-Michaell Gambill vs Qualy
3 Andy Roddick vs bye

7 Carlos Moyá vs bye
Irakli Labadze vs Qualy
Hicham Arazi vs Olivier Rochus
29 Jarkko Nieminen vs bye

22 Agustin Calleri vs bye
Ivan Ljubici vs Robin Sonderling
Lars Burgsmuller vs Rafael Nadal
11 Nicolás Massu vs bye

15 Gustavo Kuerten vs bye
Qualy vs Taylor Dent
Rubén Ramírez-Hidalgo vs Nicolás Lapentti
17 Martin Verkerk vs bye

26 Robby Ginepri vs bye
James Blake vs Radek Stepanek
Igor Andreev vs Wayne Ferreira
2 Juan Carlos Ferreo vs bye

What do you think about Guga's draw?? Dent can be a tough test, but I think Guga can win this... I think the real test will come into the quarters against Ferrero, but let's take it one match at a time, Verkerk is also very tough! I think Guga will be fully prepared, he seems confident:)!

GOOOOOOOO GUGSSS!!!

Lee
03-10-2004, 01:21 AM
I hope I'm as confident as you, Seb! Dent, Verkerk and Ferrero are tough opponents.

GO GUGA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billabong
03-10-2004, 01:31 AM
lol lee I agree, both Dent and Verkerk have very hard serves! But serve isn't everything;)! Guga can do it!

GO GUGZ:)!

Wojtek
03-10-2004, 05:23 AM
Good luck Guga :D

Dent, Lapentti and Verkerk are playing badly this year so Guga can beat them.

I hope J.Johansson won't play against Dent ;)

Iker1
03-10-2004, 09:32 AM
It seems a little tough.Never mind.Go,Guga!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel:

amethyst
03-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Dent can be very dangerous especially on hardcourts. And Guga sometimes has problems handling big servers. Let´s hope Gugas serve will work against these opponents.

Good luck Guga :)

tall_one
03-10-2004, 06:34 PM
http://www.radiotennis.com/

I'm not sure if they will put Guga on there, but it is free (although when you register it says it isn't) :)

Billabong
03-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the link Nicki:)!

amethyst
03-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Gaston Gaudio will take J.C. Ferreros (who withdraws because of chicken pox) spot in the draw. So Guga could play Gaudio in the 4th round (if they both get that far).

Lee
03-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Taylor Dent recovered from a horrible first set and won in 3 sets vs G. Lapentti 1-6 6-4 6-4. He will play Guga in next round.

GO GUGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee
03-13-2004, 02:16 AM
Guga will play Dent on Saturday on Stadium Court. His will be the last (4th) match for day session which started at 10am pt.

Billabong
03-13-2004, 04:16 AM
I hope Guga will be ready for this test, that could be a tough one!

GOOOOOO GUGZ:D!!!

amethyst
03-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Taylor Dent recovered from a horrible first set and won in 3 sets vs G. Lapentti 1-6 6-4 6-4. He will play Guga in next round.

GO GUGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 64 64 is a strange score for such a big server. It seems that he had often phases in his last matches were his serve was off. So maybe there´s some hope for Guga :) . But I´m still not happy with this match. I think much will depend if Guga himself manages to serve well..

Lee
03-13-2004, 03:40 PM
16 64 64 is a strange score for such a big server. It seems that he had often phases in his last matches were his serve was off. So maybe there´s some hope for Guga :) . But I´m still not happy with this match. I think much will depend if Guga himself manages to serve well..

Yes, Guga needs to serve well himself. Also, he needs to take his chance whenever Dent's serve wears off a bit.

Lee
03-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Go Guga!!!!!!!!!!!!

spiiky
03-13-2004, 04:44 PM
it is going to be a difficult match, I believe that it is going to be similar to the one of PARIS AGAINST PHILIPPOUSSIS 2003... (to difference that DENT raises the network excessively).... he is going to be very complicated to break to him in good condition, but GUGA it was train specifically the return in these days... I believe that GUGA is going to be able to take to this match....good look GUGA!!!... :woohoo:

Lee
03-14-2004, 12:06 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Guga lost 7-5 6-4!

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Iker1
03-14-2004, 04:05 AM
Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I can scarcely believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jelena lost,Daniela lost,Elena was injured and now,Guga.I'm really hurt.
My faves.
Anyway,go Guga.
Thanks Lee for the info.

star
03-14-2004, 05:10 AM
I can't tell you how horribly Guga played today. But maybe this will sum it up for you. Twice in two different games, Dent double faulted THREE times in each game. Guga STILL didnt' break in either of the games.

Dent kept giving Guga low balls that he couldnt' handle. Dent beat Guga off the ground. It was awful, awful, awful.

Guga must grow his hair back very very quickly.

Wojtek
03-14-2004, 06:20 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: Guga

Wojtek
03-14-2004, 06:21 AM
I hope he will play good in Miami. He needs points to be seeded player in Monte Carlo.

amethyst
03-14-2004, 09:03 AM
:sad: but somehow I´m not surprised. Guga definitly has to improve against this type of player if he wants to post good results on hardcourts again.
At least Saretta won (sorry, Lee, I´m still no Kiefer fan ;) )

Billabong
03-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi guys,
I'm VERY disappointed with this result... Guga loses 350 pts by playing VERY badly... GUGA what did you do!!!

oh well he better do well in Miami!

Lee
03-14-2004, 08:44 PM
:sad: but somehow I´m not surprised. Guga definitly has to improve against this type of player if he wants to post good results on hardcourts again.
At least Saretta won (sorry, Lee, I´m still no Kiefer fan ;) )

No problem Claudia, I'm as big a Saretta fan as Kiefer. ;)

Dissident
03-15-2004, 04:21 AM
Shaggy lost to Spadea today. :sad:
Damn!

Lee
03-15-2004, 05:00 AM
Saretta needs to play better but Spadea is red hot these days.

Lee
03-16-2004, 06:33 PM
The article is a bit old but it's nice to read how Guga reacts to his defeat vs Dent.

Lee
03-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Fonte: EQUIPE GUGA

Gustavo Kuerten was eliminated at the Masters Series Indian Wells this Saturday, by North American Taylor Dent, in the second round of the Pacific Life Open. Dent beta the Brazilian in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4, but he couldn’t take away Guga’s motivation for the 2004 season and for the Masters Series Miami.

“When I found out I was going to play against Dent, I knew it would be a hard match. It’s tough to play against guys who don’t give you any rhythm early in the first match. I didn’t feel comfortable during the whole match. There was a moment I started to get some rhythm, started to return better, but he was serving quite well and my serve wasn’t good.

For me, the first rounds are sometimes the hardest matches to play, especially against guys like Dent. I like to feel the ball in the racquet, play from the baseline, hit the ball and he didn’t let me do anything,” explained Guga, last year’s runner-up in Indian Wells.

“I reached the final last year and now I lost in my first match. But, this is how the circuit is today, very competitive, anyone can win from the best players. Now I will stay here to practicing and getting ready to play Miami, which is a tournament as much or more important than this one. I think I had a very good start this year, by reaching the semifinal in Auckland, then the Australian Open third round, I played well on clay, which was one of my goals, I won the Brasil Open and I’ll just keep focus.”

Guga and coach Larri Passos will keep practicing in Indian Wells and should go to Miami until the weekend, where he will play the second Masters Series of the year, the Nasdaq-100 Open, beginning on March 23, also played on hard court.

Billabong
03-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the articles Lee:)!