Early Commitments [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Early Commitments

~EMiLiTA~
11-08-2006, 03:15 PM
since we still don't have any 2007 forums, i'll have to post this news here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3854235a1823,00.html

Robredo and Ancic signed for Heineken Open
08 November 2006

Top 10 tennis players Tommy Robredo and Mario Ancic will lineup for January's Heineken Open in Auckland, promoters said today.


World No 6 Robredo, of Spain, and No 9 ranked Ancic, of Croatia, will be joined by defending champion Jarkko Nieminen of Finland, ranked 15th, at the January 8-13 tournament.

Robredo, 24, winner of two titles in 2006 has had a consistent year, gaining him a spot in the elite eight-man season ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai next week.

He has four career singles titles to his credit, two of which he won this year including the ATP Masters Series at Hamburg.

"Tommy has consolidated his top-10 position as one of the most consistent players in the world," tournament director Graham Pearce said today.

"It will be a treat for tennis fans to see him in action." Ancic, 22, has won two titles this year and made three finals in Auckland, Beijing and Marseille.

"This is the first time in the open era history that two top-10 players have entered the Heineken Open.

"This is looking to be our best quality field ever," Pearce said.

smucav
11-10-2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=16184&bannerregion=Ancic, Robredo, Nieminen Lead Auckland Field
By Tennis Week
11/10/2006

Tommy Robredo qualified for the Tennis Masters Cup for the first time in his career this season and the sixth-ranked Spaniard will start next season with a Heineken. Robredo, ninth-ranked Mario Ancic and defending champion Jarkko Nieminen of Finland will lead the field at the 2007 Heineken Open set for January 8-13 in Auckland, New Zealand.

The 24-year-old Robredo has won two tournament titles this year — the Tennis Masters Series-Hamburg where he defeated Ancic in the semis and Radek Stepanek in the final and the Bastad championship.

Ancic won two titles in 2006 taking home the trophies at ‘s-Hertogenbosch and St. Petersburg plus made three finals including the Heineken Open, Beijing and Marseille. The 22-year-old Ancic advanced to the 2006 Heineken Open final without dropping a set and defeating the defending champ Fernando Gonzalez as well as Andy Murray, Mark Nielsen and Stanislas Wawrinka. In Grand Slams this year Ancic had highlights on the clay at Roland Garros and the grass at Wimbledon reaching the quarters at both, but meeting Roger Federer on each occasion. Previously he made the semis at Wimbledon in 2004, falling to Andy Roddick.

World No. 15 Nieminen treated the Auckland crowd to one of the tournament's most thrilling matches in years when he overcame Belgian Olivier Rochus, 6-4, 6-7(4), 7-6(4) in the semifinals. In the final, Nieminen overwhelmed Ancic, 6-2, 6-2, to snap a streak of four straight final losses. Earlier in the tournament, he beat Marcos Baghdatis in the first round, Paul Goldstein in the second and Nicolas Massu to make the semis.

The Heineken Open featuring the Sovereign singles and doubles will be held at the ASB Tennis Centre, No. 1 Tennis Lane, Par nell January 8-13, with the first two rounds of qualifying set for Saturday, January 6 and Sunday, January 7 at the More FM Tennis Park, Albany.

*Ljubica*
11-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Juan Martin del Potro will play here.

Super-Fabio
11-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Dominik Hrbaty will play this tournament

angelical
11-17-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm surprised that after this year's debacle that Juan Carlos is coming back to Auckland (the year I won't be in the city!)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=94&ObjectID=10411330

Tennis: Organisers sure of Spaniard this time

Saturday November 18, 2006

Former world No 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain has been confirmed for the men's Open in January.

Ferrero has won 11 titles, including a Grand Slam win at Roland Garros in 2003, two Grand Slam finals in 2002 and the US Open in 2003.

Ranked at 23 in the world, Ferrero was to have played in the 2006 Heineken Open but a mix-up with his entry saw him miss the event.

But the January 8-13 tournament will be his third visit to Auckland.

His first time at the Open was in 2000 as the world No 45, where he beat No 61 Roger Federer 6-4, 6-4 on court six. Ferrero made the quarter-finals before losing to Juan Balcells in three sets.

His best performance this year was at the ATP Masters Series at Cincinnati where he took the hard road to reach the final, beating the then-ranked No 5 James Blake in straight sets in the second round, No 2 Rafael Nadal in two tie breaks in the quarters then No 7 Tommy Robredo in straight sets in the semis. He eventually fell to Andy Roddick.

Other top results for 2006 include third-round appearances at the Australian Open, Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

Tournament director Graham Pearce said it was great to have Ferrero returning to Auckland, especially after spectators missed the chance to see him this year.

"He adds to an already quality field and is an extremely talented player. He will be someone to really watch out for."

The year 2003 clearly sits as a highlight for Ferrero. He won four titles and was in the Davis Cup final. He also scored his then-best-ever result at the Australian Open, reaching the quarters, won the French Open title at Roland Garros (beating surprise finalist Martin Verkerk in straight sets) and at the US Open beat Lleyton Hewitt in the quarters and Andre Agassi in the semis before losing to Roddick.

He had some blips in his career a couple of years ago when he had chicken pox and then wrist and rib injuries but still managed to fight his way back into the top 20 again in 2005.

fanancic
11-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Come on Mario!! This year title is for you!!

TULY
11-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Feli Lopez to play here

Super-Fabio
11-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Bracciali will play here!

shotgun
11-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Ferrer and Almagro will play here, too.

http://xtramsn.co.nz/sport/0,,12048-6613953,00.html

Ferrer Confirmed For Heineken Open

25/11/2006
NZPA

Spanish tennis player David Ferrer has confirmed his entry for the Heineken Open in Auckland from January 8-13.

Ferrer, who has a world ranking of 14 and has been as high as No 10, will return to Auckland for his second appearance at the ASB Tennis Centre giving the event four players ranked inside the top-20.

The Valencia resident broke into top-10 rankings for first time following a personal-best fourth round effort at the Australian Open beating Mario Ancic.

"David is a super consistent competitor and a quality player who adds great depth to the tournament," Heineken Open tournament director Graham Pearce said.

Already confirmed for the tournament are world No 7 Tommy Robredo of Spain, Mario Ancic from Croatia, the current No 9, Jarkko Nieminen of Finland who is ranked at 15, former world No 1, Juan Carlos Ferrero, of Spain at No 23 and rising Spanish star Nicolas Almagro.

~EMiLiTA~
11-28-2006, 09:36 AM
spaniard central...cool :)