Tuesday's Order of Play/Results [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tuesday's Order of Play/Results

tangerine_dream
03-02-2004, 02:37 AM
Center Court

10:00 AM
(Q) Tripp Phillips (USA) vs. [3] Robby Ginepri (USA)

[4] Vincent Spadea (USA) vs. Thomas Johansson (SWE)

Martin Vassallo Arguello (ITA) vs. James Blake (USA)

fYves Allegro (SUI) vs. [2] Martin Verkerk (NED)

6:30 PM
[1] Andy Roddick (USA) vs. John van Lottum (NED)

Jan-Michael Gambill (USA) / Travis Parrott (USA)
vs. Dmitry Tursunov (RUS) / Brian Vahaly (USA)
Clubhouse

10:00 AM
Alex Corretja (ESP) vs. Wayne Arthurs (AUS)

(Q) Cecil Mamiit (USA) vs. Jean-Rene Lisnard (FRA)

(Q) Gustavo Marcaccio (ARG) vs. (WC) Alex Bogomolov (USA)

[8] Wayne Ferreira (RSA) vs. Victor Hanescu (ROM)

Nicolas Kiefer (GER) / Wesley Moodie (RSA) **
vs. [3] Jordan Kerr (AUS) / Todd Perry (AUS)

Tricky_Forehand
03-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Alex :woohoo: :woohoo:

Stupid Livescore.com was stuck at 5-2 for the longest time so I called:

(WC) Alex Bogomolov, Jr. def. (Q)Gustavo Marcaccio 6-3 5-7 6-4

Talk about the biggest sigh of relief. I had a feeling that this match was going to be a bigger mental challenge for Alex than anything else. I didn't see it so I can only guess but I can say how proud of him that I am because it looks like he never gave up.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Fee
03-03-2004, 12:54 AM
[3] Robby Ginepri (USA) def. (Q) Tripp Phillips (USA) 6-2, 6-0.
[4] Vincent Spadea (USA) def. Thomas Johansson (SWE) 6-4, 6-4.
(6) James Blake (USA) def. Martin Vassallo Arguello (ITA) 6-3, 6-1.
Wayne Arthurs (AUS) def. Alex Corretja (ESP) 6-1, 6-4
(Q) Cecil Mamiit (USA) def. Jean-Rene Lisnard (FRA) 6-0, 5-7, 6-3
(WC) Alex Bogomolov (USA) def. (Q) Gustavo Marcaccio (ARG) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
(2)Martin Verkerk (NED) d Q)Yves Allegro (SUI) 63 62
Victor Hanescu (ROM) d {8] Wayne Ferreira (RSA) 61 62
Wayne Arthurs (AUS) d Alex Corretja (ESP) 61 64

star
03-03-2004, 01:53 AM
Andy up 6-3

Neely
03-03-2004, 02:08 AM
does anyone have Roddick's match live on TV?

andyroxmysox12191
03-03-2004, 02:11 AM
i don't think anyone does....hope someone does. the livescoreboard is killing me cuz it hasn't moved from 0-3 yet in the second set.... :rolleyes: :sad: :o :(

Neely
03-03-2004, 02:19 AM
that's really pathetic... this tournament is not broadcasted by any TV station or what's going on?
and this tournament does not have a live scoreboard... damn it...

Veronique
03-03-2004, 02:47 AM
That's Scottsdale for you. If there's a number, I can call.

Tricky_Forehand
03-03-2004, 02:54 AM
I just had a good laugh. There's a photo of Roddick that was apparently taken before the rain delay holding a broken racquet and the caption reads: "Roddick threw a five-minute tirade after arguing a call during his match with John Van Lottum of the Netherlands"

This makes me laugh for the sole reason that the American commentators have gone on and on about how much Roddick has matured and doesn't throw temper tantrums anymore. Too bad that this wasn't shown to a National audience :lol:

I do like Van lottum a little bit but, in all honesty, I don't give a crap who wins this match because they have to lose next round anyway :devil:

Tricky_Forehand
03-03-2004, 02:56 AM
That's Scottsdale for you. If there's a number, I can call.

480-922-0222 is the number I called for a result earlier. I was told they're usually there till 10 so for about another hour.

TheBoiledEgg
03-03-2004, 03:01 AM
Alex Corretja pfffffff :rolleyes:

Alex B :) phew

go Johnny , 3-1 up

Havok
03-03-2004, 03:02 AM
anybody gonna call:scratch:

Havok
03-03-2004, 03:04 AM
and he still has the occasional outburst, but remember that when Andy unleashes his anger HES ALWAYS RIGHT. never have i seen this guy make a bad judgement call. and he has matured, seeing as though he doesn't have as many of them as he had before

Veronique
03-03-2004, 03:09 AM
Andy was leading 6-3 6-5 when the match got halted by rain. The players are sticking around to see if they can resume playing tonight.

Neely
03-03-2004, 03:17 AM
I just had a good laugh. There's a photo of Roddick that was apparently taken before the rain delay holding a broken racquet and the caption reads: "Roddick threw a five-minute tirade after arguing a call during his match with John Van Lottum of the Netherlands"

you mean this one on Yahoo?

http://es.sports.yahoo.com/040303/24/39usz.html

Lee
03-03-2004, 03:18 AM
that's really pathetic... this tournament is not broadcasted by any TV station or what's going on?
and this tournament does not have a live scoreboard... damn it...

The final will be on ESPN. And this is not the only tournament without live scoreboard. This is a small tournament, it relies a lot on volunteers.

Neely
03-03-2004, 03:21 AM
The final will be on ESPN. And this is not the only tournament without live scoreboard. This is a small tournament, it relies a lot on volunteers.
sure, all right... we can't have anything ;)

Lee
03-03-2004, 03:24 AM
and he still has the occasional outburst, but remember that when Andy unleashes his anger HES ALWAYS RIGHT. never have i seen this guy make a bad judgement call. and he has matured, seeing as though he doesn't have as many of them as he had before

You cannot say this time whether he's right or not. I'm not saying he's right or not. But, even he's right, he has no right to throw a tirade. He may not have as many temper tantrum as before, he still has a lot more than others and please don't say he's still young. There are lots of players younger than he does and not throwing any temper around the court as he does.

But seeing as many of his fans are as mature as he, :shrug:

Neely
03-03-2004, 03:29 AM
no question, a bad call on a close ball can always happen some time more or less often and a good player should be able to deal with it... but some calls are really sooooo bad (a good example was that serve of Johansson in his Memphis final against Kiefer as the ball was out for GOOD, I would say about 12 inches or more) you just can't continue playing then because you're upset

sportpunter
03-03-2004, 03:44 AM
so there's no rain then? they are still playing?
hopefully van Lottum can use Roddicks outburst to his advantage.

Havok
03-03-2004, 03:48 AM
oh no i didnt mean hes right to throw a tirade, i mean he's right in the fact that it was a shitty call. and calling andy fans as mature as he is is fine by me, because the REAL Andy Roddick, the one off the court, is very mature:p

oh and another thing, i find it fascinating that Marat gets by these tantrums unscathed, as Roddick is harped on:tape:

Havok
03-03-2004, 03:49 AM
um sportpunter, he obviously didn't take advantage of it, seing as though he was up 3-1, and now Andy's up 6-5:p ugh is this rain ever gonna end?

sportpunter
03-03-2004, 03:54 AM
he was up 3-0 at one stage! I thought someone said that the scores are not being updated because roddick cracked it. Is it on serve on the 2nd or is roddick up a break?

Havok
03-03-2004, 03:57 AM
no idea. being up 3-0, and 3-1 is the same thing btw. my guess would be 6-5 on serve

Veronique
03-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Match will resume tomorrow at noon. Damn rain!

Lee
03-03-2004, 04:49 AM
oh no i didnt mean hes right to throw a tirade, i mean he's right in the fact that it was a shitty call. and calling andy fans as mature as he is is fine by me, because the REAL Andy Roddick, the one off the court, is very mature:p

oh and another thing, i find it fascinating that Marat gets by these tantrums unscathed, as Roddick is harped on:tape:

I don't say Marat has the right to throw a tirade, do I? When I saw Marat angry, he broke his racket, he yelled at himself, etc. I seldom saw him yelling at umpire or tournament official like we saw in the pictures here. There's a difference between mad at yourself for not performing your best and mad at someone else when you think they are not performing their best.

Tricky_Forehand
03-03-2004, 07:02 AM

Always?? So you were there tonight to see why this latest temper tantrum took place? If it was up to the ATP we would've never heard about this because it wasn't mentioned in the official Tuesday review. I only have to go back to last year's US OPEN to point out several times in a particular match where he was wrong.

I understand defending a person that you support to no end because I'll do that with Alex but there's a point where it begins to sound like excuses.

Personally, I've never seen Roddick have what you call an "occassional outburst"...I've seen him have his temper tantrums since he turned pro 3 years ago. Something like tonight makes me think that his ego is getting bigger and bigger because, if anything, his tantrums are getting worse. Who knows how many of these we don't know about because of lack of coverage?

He threw a fit in his match vs. Guille at the Masters Cup last year but ESPN (in all their wisdom) cut that part out when it aired but because I was listening to Eurosport I heard him throw his fit.

Roddick isn't perfect and he's notALWAYS right.

Tricky_Forehand
03-03-2004, 07:06 AM
You cannot say this time whether he's right or not. I'm not saying he's right or not. But, even he's right, he has no right to throw a tirade. He may not have as many temper tandrum as before, he still has a lot more than others and please don't say he's still young. There are lots of players younger than he does and not throwing any temper around the court as he does.

But seeing as many of his fans are as mature as he, :shrug:

At the risk of sounding like an echo, I agree with absolutely every word in that statement. And if Bunk reads this, note that Lee said "many" not all...lol ;)

Tricky_Forehand
03-03-2004, 07:09 AM
no question, a bad call on a close ball can always happen some time more or less often and a good player should be able to deal with it... but some calls are really sooooo bad (a good example was that serve of Johansson in his Memphis final against Kiefer as the ball was out for GOOD, I would say about 12 inches or more) you just can't continue playing then because you're upset

I got that match on tape yesterday and when I saw that I couldn't believe it wasn't called a fault!! Also, I can't remember Nicolas ever losing his temper that bad in the past 9 years. He got mad at the US OPEN in 2002 but that was nowhere near what Memphis was like. I can't say I blame him for all he said though.

Tricky_Forehand
03-03-2004, 07:16 AM

I don't know. I've met Roddick off-court a couple of times. The first time he was a really nice kid. The next time I wanted to slap him upside his head to deflate it a little. But maybe you're definition of mature and my definition are two different things :D .

As for Marat, I'm not a big supporter of his but it doesn't make much sense to compare the two when it comes to tantrums. He throws fits and abuses himself and blames himself. When I've seen Roddick's tantrums, it's everyone's fault but his own. Just sounds like to me that you're trying to excuse what Roddick may have did tonight by saying Marat does it too.

I doubt we'll ever even hear of this incident on ESPN means how McEnroe's pet can do no wrong :rolleyes:

Havok
03-03-2004, 01:45 PM
UGH people read things as they arw written!!!

Lee NEVER did i direct the marat thing to you. i was talking in general, hence the fact that i didn`t mention names or anything.

and Tennis724 learn to read. i specifically used I meaning everytime I saw Andy go bananas, he was always right. way to throw words in my mouth. and you obviously dont uinderstand the meaning of occasional outburst. occasional doesnt measure how big the outburst is, it measures how often it happens. and please shed some light about bad judgement he made at last year`s US Open. and blaming others for his shit play. BULLSHIT:bs::bs::bs: when he yells at umps he doesnt say ugh change that linecall im playing like shit, he gets pissed because it was a bad linecall regardless of his performance!!!!!! and about the mature thing, why would i take your meaningless words for it. i`ve reasd many times that he`s nice and all that crap and he is a mature kid for his age. and didn`t alex do something at the US open one time, or am i getting him mixed up with someone else:confused: anyways i wasn`t making ANY excuses, as you can read some of my posts that i was pissed about his little rant he had. me bringing up Marat wasnt cover up, i was stating the obvious that Safin always gets a `get out of jail free`card when he breaks racquets and shit, but Roddick doesn.t! K.

maratski
03-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Breaking a racket means getting a code violation, which Marat ALWAYS gets when he breaks a racket. Most duck fans are in denial when people say there's different kinds of tantrums, but you're free to do so :)

I'll never agree though, but I'm sure you won't care about that.

Lee :worship:

maratski
03-03-2004, 06:28 PM
And why does one yell at umpires and linespeople and one doesn't?

Sjengster
03-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Which one, Safin or Haas? They both have a habit of venting their anger during matches, Haas did it in very creative ways I remember. Anyone seen that famous clip of him using his racket as an imaginary rifle?

Tricky_Forehand
03-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Why would ESPN report on a tandrum in a Mickey Mouse tournament when they won't even bother airing the matches? :confused:

I'm just saying when they talk about tournaments previous to IW...they'll talk about Junior's win in San Jose and how mature he is this year. I highly doubt this Scottsdale incident will ever be mentioned.

Tricky_Forehand
03-03-2004, 10:07 PM
UPDATE

Andy finishes off Van Lottum, winning 6/3 7/5

Good win, Andy. Don't pull any more tandrums this tourney, k?

Oh, I'm sure he will next round when he gets his ass kicked! ;)

Havok
03-03-2004, 11:50 PM
me saying Safin doesnt get hampered by breaking racquets means from all these people on these boards, not from the umpires and stuff. and I'm sure if Safin knew english perfectly or the umpire was russian, he would have some nice conversations with them. and Andy gets mad at the umps, not the linespeople, or maybe i just never saw him yell at a linesperson since i've only been following him since us open 2002:scratch:

Deboogle!.
03-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Why would ESPN report on a tandrum in a Mickey Mouse tournament when they won't even bother airing the matches? :confused:

Did they show any of it on tv, or just talk about it? They showed a bit on the local news last night. It was bad, that's why they reported on it. *very disappointed*

Lee
03-04-2004, 03:55 AM
bunk, I didn't see or hear anything about it on ESPN or CNN. The NY papers didn't mention anything about it, either.

I'll bet it was all over the Scottsdale news stations though. :sad:

Sorry to disappoint you. Tennis is not a big deal in this city. I watched ABC and there's 15 seconds about Roddick match and nothing about his tirade. (that's lucky for him, probably because ABC/ESPN is one big happy family)

stephB
03-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Alex Corretja pfffffff :rolleyes:

Alex B :) phew

go Johnny , 3-1 up

think we didnt support john enough :bigcry:
but how could he loose the first set with leading so high? :banghead:

Deboogle!.
03-04-2004, 03:46 PM
They talked about the match on a couple stations. Only the local News 3 station showed the tirade. at the VERY end of their 10:30pm news hour in sports.

Lee
03-04-2004, 05:30 PM
They talked about the match on a couple stations. Only the local News 3 station showed the tirade. at the VERY end of their 10:30pm news hour in sports.

Yeah, News 3. The station does not need to 'qowtow' to any BIG networks! :p

Deboogle!.
03-06-2004, 04:35 PM
LOL

It's the most ghetto news I have ever seen. we watch it and laugh lol.

Fox10 isn't so hot either but it's more amusing ;)

on News3, the sports dude at night refers to Andy as "Mandy Moore's Boy-Toy Andy Roddick" - it's really obnoxious and really annoying.

Lee
03-07-2004, 03:46 AM
on News3, the sports dude at night refers to Andy as "Mandy Moore's Boy-Toy Andy Roddick" - it's really obnoxious and really annoying.

That's what they are! The news crews are the most un-professional I ever watched but once in a while, they are really funny. Last night (I think), the woman anchor read the line for the male anchor, instead of just finished it, she laughed and said she read his line and both started laughing :eek: :rolleyes: :haha:

Lee
03-07-2004, 03:49 AM
And Bunk, not sure you will get this e-mail before you leave, (which is not likely) but the DOT (department of transportation) determined not to close 101 this weekend because SR51 (another freeway parallel to 101) is closed this weekend too.

Deboogle!.
03-07-2004, 10:04 PM
LOL Yea.... News 3 is just CRAZY. Unprofessional is exactly the word I thought of as well.

And no I didn't see this message before I left, but since we get on 101 at 90th, it wouldn't have been a problem anyway :) But it's so kind of you to think of me :)

And of course I have to leave when the weather gets good. But god, I love it out there. I miss it already and I've only been gone a few hours.