Chat Threads that shouldnt exist [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Chat Threads that shouldnt exist

scarecrows
11-07-2006, 07:31 PM
OK, MTF is getting slower and slower, I dont know if it's a problem of bandwidth, but if it is maybe you should get rid of some Chat Threads like:

Number Game and 1million to 1 - seriously, what's the point? people posting numbers to increase thier post count

The Name Game, the Place Name Game and The Song name Game (Tennis Player Wordsnake might enter here also) - I take the last letter of a place name and I write another place starting with that letter. How good I am! Boring :yawn:

The Last One to Post Wins - Ok, I admit, I have posted there a lot before but I was trying to take it in another direction rather that posting "I am winning" or a boring smiley

Comment on the avatar (also Comment on the Signature which is not Chat Thread yet) - I dont think any comment is neccessary. just the idea is dumb itself

The Person Above You - we've had enough of ass-kissing, dont you think?

I really dont mind, I have the option to not click there, but if it's because of useless posts that we have to wait 2 minutes to load a page I say "Take them all down"

Thank You

Denaon
11-07-2006, 07:45 PM
OK, MTF is getting slower and slower, I dont know if it's a problem of bandwidth, but if it is maybe you should get rid of some Chat Threads like:

Number Game and 1million to 1 - seriously, what's the point? people posting numbers to increase thier post count

The Name Game, the Place Name Game and The Song name Game (Tennis Player Wordsnake might enter here also) - I take the last letter of a place name and I write another place starting with that letter. How good I am! Boring :yawn:

The Last One to Post Wins - Ok, I admit, I have posted there a lot before but I was trying to take it in another direction rather that posting "I am winning" or a boring smiley

Comment on the avatar (also Comment on the Signature which is not Chat Thread yet) - I dont think any comment is neccessary. just the idea is dumb itself

The Person Above You - we've had enough of ass-kissing, dont you think?

I really dont mind, I have the option to not click there, but if it's because of useless posts that we have to wait 2 minutes to load a page I say "Take them all down"

Thank You

Leave the 1 million thread alone!!! :mad:
the rest I don't mind :angel:

:lol:

Nathaliia
11-07-2006, 08:14 PM
:yeah:

bad gambler
11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I take your point - but then again you could make a case for all the chat threads to disappear as well. I think it would be a dangerous precedent to set if some of the chat threads get deleted.

On second thought maybe not all chat threads, Adam's has to stay otherwise there would be no other way to take the piss out of him :confused:

scarecrows
11-07-2006, 09:00 PM
I take your point - but then again you could make a case for all the chat threads to disappear as well. I think it would be a dangerous precedent to set if some of the chat threads get deleted.

On second thought maybe not all chat threads, Adam's has to stay otherwise there would be no other way to take the piss out of him :confused:

come on, you cant compare threads where people talk and get to know each other with threads where Daniel posts a number every 7 seconds

JMG
11-08-2006, 12:04 AM
But for Daniel posting numbers is as important as breathing. Maybe he wouldn't survive it.

bad gambler
11-08-2006, 02:07 AM
lol

Lee
11-08-2006, 02:55 AM
come on, you cant compare threads where people talk and get to know each other with threads where Daniel posts a number every 7 seconds

But for Daniel posting numbers is as important as breathing. Maybe he wouldn't survive it.

I think the point here is what you consider meaningful/meaningless may not be the same as others.

bad gambler
11-08-2006, 03:46 AM
yup - different strokes for different folks

scarecrows
11-08-2006, 08:00 AM
maybe getting rid of those threads will make certain members try to post something useful rather than just a number or the name of a city

it's in their benefit

I have a feeling that some posters care about the post number

Peta Pan
11-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm sure some people don't particularly care about what songs we are listening to right now either ;)

The only REALLY annoying threads in my eyes are the 2 number ones. They are obviously about nothing else but getting someones post count up for some inane reason.

The others are good to relieve boredom and people enjoy them so just let them be!

scarecrows
11-08-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm sure some people don't particularly care about what songs we are listening to right now either ;)

The only REALLY annoying threads in my eyes are the 2 number ones. They are obviously about nothing else but getting someones post count up for some inane reason.

The others are good to relieve boredom and people enjoy them so just let them be!

wrong, that way you can learn a lot about other members' taste and also can broaden your musical horizons (which are pretty narrow here at MTF, if you ask me)
also it's a classic thread in every respectable forum, whereas what I listed in the first post it's plain spam

boredom??? then try to talk to someone, enter in a discussion, even if this discussion is about Teletubbies :shrug:

Peta Pan
11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
wrong, that way you can learn a lot about other members' taste and also can broaden your musical horizons (which are pretty narrow here at MTF, if you ask me)
also it's a classic thread in every respectable forum, whereas what I listed in the first post it's plain spam

boredom??? then try to talk to someone, enter in a discussion, even if this discussion is about Teletubbies :shrug:

IYO it's wrong... but I'm sure a lot of people REALLY don't care about what music you are listening to. Just like you don't care for the other threads :)

Hard to enter in discussion when the whole place is seemingly dead.
The threads are harmless. If you want to call it spam then fine... but it's spam that a lot of people like so there is not a problem.

As for the number threads well I'd do away with them in an instant but have been advised against it.

Denaon
11-08-2006, 01:25 PM

I must agree with the fact that both threads are annoying....after I started the Million one I said to myself "what have I done!?! :bolt:" however, in defence of my baby thread, it was started with one purpose....to reach nº 0..(or 1) so it was meant to be 1,000,000 times annoying, while on the other hand the Number thread does not have any purpose at all, and it could never end :angel:
lol....Maybe it's a good idea to get rid of both...;)
IMO they're harmless, as Peta said, but if they're wasting resources...just delete them....noone will notice....well....yeah, true....maybe Daniel....poor thing :lol:

revolution
11-08-2006, 01:30 PM
If the number game thread was deleted imagine what Daniel's post count would be afterward. :lol:

scarecrows
11-08-2006, 01:36 PM
would be 36k less, but that's not the point

the forum is much slower than before and those threads can be one of the reasons. if it's really that, then delete them for the sake of it :)

Nymeria
11-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I like this idea actually, the past days I really notice how slow this board is and if there is a solution for it... and I never saw the idea of all those numbers had some nice discussions with Daniel about that :lol:

On the other hand I think that even if these threads are closed, they will find a different way to increase their number of posts.

Lee
11-08-2006, 11:52 PM
I highly doubt removing those threads will affect the response time on this board. I will say I'm 99.99% sure.

The 2 numbers games thread together has more or less the same number of post compare to Adam's chat thread and definitely take up less space as the posts are short.

adee-gee
11-09-2006, 12:05 AM
The 2 numbers games thread together has more or less the same number of post compare to Adam's chat thread and definitely take up less space as the posts are short.
Delete my chat thread :rocker2: :D

My post count would be so low :o

revolution
11-09-2006, 12:13 AM
go on, delete the number game :p Let's see Daniel's posts halved :haha:

Lee
11-09-2006, 12:19 AM

I would like to keep my vCash :p

go on, delete the number game :p Let's see Daniel's posts halved :haha:

:devil: How about I go and delete whatever meaningless posts your have and get your post count halved!!!

scarecrows
11-09-2006, 12:20 AM
I highly doubt removing those threads will affect the response time on this board. I will say I'm 99.99% sure.

what is it then that made it so slow recently?

we need to know :rocker2:

Lee
11-09-2006, 12:28 AM
what is it then that made it so slow recently?

we need to know :rocker2:

Only Steve can answer :shrug:

I don't know the networks or have access to them. My computer knowledge tells me if the response time is that slow, the size of the database is usually not the source of trouble.

revolution
11-09-2006, 12:40 AM
:devil: How about I go and delete whatever meaningless posts your have and get your post count halved!!!

You'd be up all night then :D

Lee
11-09-2006, 01:13 AM
You'd be up all night then :D

I believe all your posts are meaningless :devil: :devil: :devil:

revolution
11-09-2006, 01:21 AM
I believe all your posts are meaningless :devil: :devil: :devil:

:bigcry:

savesthedizzle
11-09-2006, 01:29 AM

Mine too. :tape: :lol:

Truc
11-11-2006, 09:07 AM
And what about closing (chat) threads automatically when they reach a certain amount of posts, like 5000 posts? Would that help?
I have no clue of all those things, I'm just asking. It seems to me it would be fairer than just singling out 2 or 3 threads. People start a new thread then ("The name game II"), that's no problem, I've seen that on other boards.

(And what about Spy? Is that using a lot of ressources? It's totally useless, frankly.)

Nymeria
11-11-2006, 06:27 PM
And what about closing (chat) threads automatically when they reach a certain amount of posts, like 5000 posts? Would that help?
I have no clue of all those things, I'm just asking. It seems to me it would be fairer than just singling out 2 or 3 threads. People start a new thread then ("The name game II"), that's no problem, I've seen that on other boards.

(And what about Spy? Is that using a lot of ressources? It's totally useless, frankly.)

Maybe change 5000 to at least 20K or so. You can reach 5000 posts in one week :lol: :p

But I agree with the idea, a maximum number of posts for a thread sounds nice. But I've no idea either if that kind of thing work.

keqtqiadv
11-12-2006, 01:39 AM
bah, I like iSpy :p

savesthedizzle
11-12-2006, 03:53 AM
I hate iSpy, I'd be glad to see it go. :lol:

Peta Pan
11-12-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't see how closing a thread after a certain number of posts would help.. the number of posts would still be there but just unopened :shrug:

I think iSpy is good, no need to get rid of that :)

Nathaliia
11-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I love iSpy. When I'm a challenger moderator and many threads are active (=matches) I can follow live what is happening in all of them while doing something else on the computer.

Truc
11-12-2006, 10:46 AM
I don't see how closing a thread after a certain number of posts would help.. the number of posts would still be there but just unopened :shrug:It does help in some cases, but maybe it doesn't matter with the system used here, I don't know. That was my question.

It makes sense to me. Having threads with 80.000 posts in the database probably isn't a problem (there is enough storage space), but it might be a problem when people keep clicking those huge threads and posting in them (= "reload" the 80.000 posts everytime they want to say 'Hi!').

You don't delete anything, you just close the thread, it's still there if people want to read the old stuff. And it's the same treatment for everybody, so you don't say 'this chat thread is shit, this one is worth being here', which is pretty problematic.

But the board is quick for me right now, I posted that yesterday when it was horribly lame.

Truc
11-12-2006, 10:54 AM
As for Spy, I was more wondering if it uses a lot of ressources.
If it does, it could be momentarily deactivated when the board is too slow.
But I have no idea, I don't know this tool at all.

stebs
11-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Why not have a 10k limit to posts. After that time if someone posts then the first post will be deleted so that the # of posts in a thread will not get higher but the recent posts aren't deleted.

Nathaliia
11-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I am sure the thread starter didn't want the discussion to come to closing MY chat thread :awww:

Hmm, but stebs' idea isn't that lame.

NeverSayDie
11-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I dont see the point in having ispy but if people dont want to get rid of that how about getting rid of 'new posts'???? Now we have ispy there is no need for this feature IMO

Carlita
11-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I think we can't just close those chat threads. Some have been there for years!

You don't have to like them.....but lets face it, some people do like them. The only one which are a bit off for me are : the number game (not the one counting to 0 because at least that one has a goal....) and the last poster wins.... the others....well, they are harmless and fun to a lot of people....

so no closing :p

As for I Spy.... I think it should be something for the moderators only because it's a good and easy way to keep track of all the :tape: stuff..... ;) and if there is a New Posts option....the posters don't need iSpy.

revolution
11-12-2006, 10:44 PM
close the number game come on lets see soft touch Daniel find another hobby :p

Truc
11-12-2006, 11:07 PM
I guess I didn't realize people were so oversensitive when it comes to their chat threads! :lol:
What's the problem with closing Adam's chat thread if you start a new Adam chat thread with the same title and the same people posting in it, just called "#2"?
You'd still have the same chat threads in NT ("The 30-Love club II" etc.), the old stuff would still be there if you want to read what happened in the past...
I don't get why it's more fun to post in a thread which has 63.424 posts.

Anyway, the board is working fine right now, so we probably don't need to change anything.
But *if* those huge threads in NT slow down the board, I find it a tad absurd.

adee-gee
11-12-2006, 11:41 PM
:boxing: leave my thread out of this :armed:

Truc
11-13-2006, 07:47 AM
And I mentioned your thread because you know I like you, Adam, and you won't take it personally.
You don't have to like them.....but lets face it, some people do like them.I didn't see that part of your answer yesterday, sorry.
If you mean my posts, it's not about liking the chat threads or not. On the contrary. I suggested that as a neutral criterion - a limit of posts per thread would apply for any thread on the board. If the Coria pic thread reaches the limit, we start a new one, I couldn't care less.
It's just a number. That way, you don't have to say "'The last poster wins' is a bit stupid, we'll close it and not the other ones".

But the whole discussion is useless if nobody can confirm that large threads are a problem.

(As for Spy, I agree with you for the limitation to the mods if it slows down the board.)

Carlita
11-13-2006, 10:04 AM
my answer wasnt really directed at your Truc ;) more to the first post of this thread.

Why set a limit for the amount of posts? You'll end up with dead threads and multiple threads for one and the same thing.

I doubt the big threads are slowing the forum down. Does it really matter if you have 20,000 posts in 2 threads or 1? The amount of posts is still the same.

Why not leave things the way they are? Im sure if it's a problem the webmasters/admins of this forum will let us know. ;)

adee-gee
11-13-2006, 10:16 AM
There wouldn't be any point in closing threads....if the reason MTF is slow is because of the number of posts then we'd be better of deleting the threads completely.

Truc
11-13-2006, 10:40 AM
There wouldn't be any point in closing threads....if the reason MTF is slow is because of the number of posts then we'd be better of deleting the threads completely.Enter something like "large threads" in Google and you'll see that many other boards do that. Large *active* threads often are a problem, not large archived threads.
Why delete posts or threads if they can be archived? If I were you, I wouldn't want my chat thread to be deleted.

But I completely agree that the board seems to work fine right now and there is no need to change anything then, Carlita. All those suggestions were posted when the board was VERY slow (last week).

adee-gee
11-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Enter something like "large threads" in Google and you'll see that many other boards do that. Large *active* threads often are a problem, not large archived threads.
Why delete posts or threads if they can be archived? If I were you, I wouldn't want my chat thread to be deleted.

But I completely agree that the board seems to work fine right now and there is no need to change anything then, Carlita. All those suggestions were posted when the board was VERY slow (last week).
I like the idea of my thread being deleted, but the other people that post in it don't :lol:

Has it actually been confirmed that the reason MTF went slow is because of too many posts. Because I'm doubtful.

Steve
11-14-2006, 10:11 PM
The length of a post has nothing to do with the speed of the site. Its all just numbers.
When you click on a thread all the server knows is what thread and post you want so its not searching the actual thread text and scrolling through it all. What its doing is searching the database for (example) "t=88578" which is thread number and "&page=2" which is the page number.
At times when the site is busy it may lag a bit from people using "search" etc. but not to worry, we are working on a few things to optimize the speed of the forum and actually over the next few months we will be restructering the servers so it will be even faster than you have ever seen. so alls good.

Also in regards to people bashing the chat threads. I recommend that if you dont like them just dont go there. As is the case with any other thread/forum.
The site is not only for information but for fun too... so enjoy yourselves and let others enjoy themselves in whichever way that may be.... Of course within the rules of MTF :)