Federer doesn't play vs. Spain [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer doesn't play vs. Spain

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 03:05 PM
I know he doesn't usually play at this stage, the tie being held just after the Aussie Open.....but I have a sneaky suspicion he might play, the chance to play Nadal on home soil with a choice of court surface might be too good to miss.

I'd love to see it happen :dance:

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Federer will win both singles matches and the doubles one .

I can't see Roger not playing this tie.

Andre♥
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Federer will play and ask the swiss federation to choose clay!

Federer needs a win against Nadal on clay and his hometown would be the right place to do so!

Veronique
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
You bet this is going to be on grass. LOL

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Federer will play and ask the swiss federation to choose clay!

Federer needs a win against Nadal on clay and his hometown would be the right place to do so!

I don't know if Roger would be drunk enough to ask for playing on clay but I'm sure Swiss federation aren't.

The tie will be on carpet :shrug:

Horatio Caine
09-28-2006, 03:10 PM
If the Swiss have any sense they'll play the tie on the fastest indoor court possible

Generator
09-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Poor Spain.

Yappa
09-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Its either both Federer and Nadal play (they both didnt play DC earlier this year and their teams lost) or they dont. I cant imagine Nadal playing and Federer not. The swiss fans and media would be mighty pissed if Nadal played and Federer not. And I dont think that Federer wants that.

Andre♥
I don't know if Roger would be drunk enough to ask for playing on clay but I'm sure Swiss federation aren't.

The tie will be on carpet :shrug:

It depends. Wawrinka has his best results in clay and has victories over some spanish claycourters (e.g Ferrer).

I can't see Wawrinka getting a win in carpet over a spaniard...

Btw Allegro/Federer should be too strong for any spanish double team.

shotgun
Being a home tie, during the European indoor season, I don't see Federer skipping it.

I think he only skipped SWI vs. AUS this year because it was on clay.

ginnylegend
09-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Wawrinka reached the third round of Wimbledon on grass.

They might put down a grass court, but I imagine lightning quick hard/carpet like the one Slovakia and Belarus laid.

NyGeL
09-28-2006, 03:17 PM
If Nadal doesn't play, he might not too. Like with Hewitt this year.

The tie will be played on Carpet for sure.

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Very fast court for sure, it depends whether if Federer wins the AO.

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
It depends. Wawrinka has his best results in clay and has victories over some spanish claycourters (e.g Ferrer).

I can't see Wawrinka getting a win in carpet over a spaniard...

Btw Allegro/Federer should be too strong for any spanish double team.

On carpet Switzerland has almost ensured 3 points :shrug: , on clay they don't have them

If Switzerland choses clay it would be one of the dumbest things I've seen ever.

Andre♥
09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Wawrinka reached the third round of Wimbledon on grass.

They might put down a grass court, but I imagine lightning quick hard/carpet like the one Slovakia and Belarus laid.

If they choose carpet, they will have to rely on Federer to beat Nadal, because I can't Wawrinka getting a win over Robredo or even Ferrero (in Vienna'05 shape at least).

yanchr
09-28-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't think Nadal's decision will make any difference on Roger's decision to play or not. It's still for him alone to decide. But I can see and understand the pressure if he decides not to.

Anyway it will be a good chance for Roger to build some confidence against Nadal to play on home soil with full support, which might make a difference to his psychological condition...

Andre♥
09-28-2006, 03:22 PM
On carpet you have almost sure 3 points :shrug: . On clay you don't have 3 points ensured.

If Switzerland choses clay would be one of the dumbest things I've seen ever.

I know choosing clay would be risky, but I can't see Nadal beating Federer in a indoor clay match in Federer's hometown. And a win over Nadal in clay, would give Federer the bit of confidence that he needs to win Roland Garros.

mangoes
09-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Who said God doesn't have a sense of humor??:haha: :haha:

Great draw for the USA!!

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Who said God doesn't have a sense of humor??:haha: :haha:

Which God , the real one or Roger ?

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 03:24 PM
:retard:

NyGeL
09-28-2006, 03:24 PM
If they choose carpet, they will have to rely on Federer to beat Nadal, because I can't Wawrinka getting a win over Robredo or even Ferrero (in Vienna'05 shape at least).

Wawrinka isn't that bad on fast courts. He can beat them.

mangoes
09-28-2006, 03:25 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I don't consider Roger a god. That's a sin for me.

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 03:27 PM
I know choosing clay would be risky, but I can't see Nadal beating Federer in a indoor clay match in Federer's hometown. And a win over Nadal in clay, would give Federer the bit of confidence that he needs to win Roland Garros.

If you can't see Nadal beating Federer at indoor clay in Switzerland now I understand why you would choose clay , I mean our points of view are as separated as London and Melbourne

Yappa
When do the teams have to announce the surface on which they want to play?

Andre♥
Wawrinka isn't that bad on fast courts. He can beat them.

In Davis Cup, experience is very important because the pressure is huge and you are representing your country.

I like Wawrinka very much, but Robredo and Ferrero are true fighters and they are very good in fast surfaces when they are in good shape.

Andre♥
09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
If you can't see Nadal beating Federer at indoor clay in Switzerland now I understand why you would choose clay , I mean our points of view are as separated as London and Melbourne

With Federer playing at home, it's hard to imagine him to choke so badly like he did in Rome and in Roland Garros. And he has the coach to help him in the hard moments. Federer has the ability to beat Nadal, he just needs the support that the swiss crowd can give to him to do it.

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 03:31 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I don't consider Roger a god. That's a sin for me.

Sorry but I don't have problems with the sins since I'm not religious so I can't understand what you feel sinning

Generator
09-28-2006, 03:33 PM

Volandri beat Robredo in Spain on clay. I fail to see how Wawrinka wouldn't defeat him on carpet. Regardless, I believe Verdasco has more chances of being the other singles player.

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 03:33 PM
With Federer playing at home, it's hard to imagine him to choke so badly like he did in Rome and in Roland Garros. And he has the coach to help him in the hard moments. Federer has the ability to beat Nadal, he just needs the support that the swiss crowd can give to him to do it.

Of course I forgot Rafa only wins Roger when he chokes :lol: . Sorry but my weak memory didn't remember that fact.

As I've said to you ... you in London , me in Melbourne .

RogiFan88
09-28-2006, 03:38 PM
adeegee: the question should be: will Rafa play? ;)

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Volandri beat Robredo in Spain on clay. I fail to see how Wawrinka wouldn't defeat him on carpet. Regardless, I believe Verdasco has more chances of being the other singles player.

If it was a quick indoor court or grass, they could even consider the possibility of F-Lo :help:

Andre♥
09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Of course I forgot Rafa only wins Roger when he chokes :lol: . Sorry but my weak memory didn't remember that fact.

I didn't say that. Nadal owned Federer in Dubai and Monte Carlo.

In Rome, he had two match points and blew them away with two UE.

In Roland Garros, he was great in the first set and then collapsed (kudos for Nadal for raising his game too).

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Rafa will play, I'm 99% sure. For him, beating Roger is like taking candy from a baby :p

mangoes
09-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Rafa will play, I'm 99% sure. For him, beating Roger is like taking candy from a baby :p
:lol: :lol: :lol: We'll see:p

bokehlicious
09-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Hope they play both Fed and Nadal and can't wait to be there :devil:

yanchr
09-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Time to get some sleep Melbourne guy/gal, before turning this thread into another Federer-Nadal one with two groups fighting with each other...:wavey:

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Time to get some sleep Melbourne guy/gal, before turning this thread into another Federer-Nadal one with two groups fighting with each other...:wavey:

1) I'm very far from Melbourne .2) I don't have no intention in turning this thread into a silly Fed-Nadal battle . 3) I was just answering a message.
4) Don't give me lessons, please :)

mangoes
09-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Hope they play both Fed and Nadal and can't wait to be there :devil:

I think they'll both play :lol: :lol: I think the tennis channel will show this tie in the US. They always show the two most interesting ties apart from the USA's tie.

Merton
09-28-2006, 03:52 PM
I will be surprised if Roger plays, unless he is upset early in Australia. It is the same as last year, I doubt the fact that it is Spain changes anything in his book.

rofe
09-28-2006, 03:53 PM
If Roger wins the AO, I don't expect him to play. If not, then there is a 50/50 chance.

Corey Feldman
09-28-2006, 03:55 PM
he he goodbye Spain in rnd1 next year :wavey: .... Fed will demolish them

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Here's what'll happen.

Nadal will beat Federer in the Aussie Open final. Federer will be so upset that he'll instantly make himself available for DC selection, only to be humiliated once more by Nadal in front of his own fans.

:dance:

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 03:58 PM
If Roger didn't play would swiss fans get angry with him ?? or the Swiss doesn't care less about DC but only caring about Roger being nº1 ??

Can a swiss guy answer this question ?? . Thanks

bokehlicious
09-28-2006, 04:04 PM
If Roger didn't play would swiss fans get angry with him ?? or the Swiss doesn't care less about DC but only caring about Roger being n1 ??

Can a swiss guy answer this question ?? . Thanks

It depends. The true Roger fans would understand his decision and the others would be upset not to see a "national legend" playing in Switzerland... :shrug:

rofe
09-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Here's what'll happen.

Nadal will beat Federer in the Aussie Open final. Federer will be so upset that he'll instantly make himself available for DC selection, only to be humiliated once more by Nadal in front of his own fans.

:dance:

:singer: Dreeeeam, dream, dream dream, dreeeeam... :singer:

mangoes
09-28-2006, 04:05 PM

:haha: :haha:

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 04:07 PM

I wonder who'll be in more tears, you or Federer :p

rofe
09-28-2006, 04:13 PM
I wonder who'll be in more tears, you or Federer :p

Lets just say, you won't have to console me like I had to console you after Nadal's loss at the US masters. :)

Castafiore
09-28-2006, 04:14 PM
:bounce:
How exciting. I would even consider travelling to Switzerland to see this.

:yeah:

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Lets just say, you won't have to console me like I had to console you after Nadal's loss at the US masters. :)

Nadal plays golf? :eek: :p

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 04:16 PM

Are you masochist ? :lol:

LaTenista
09-28-2006, 04:17 PM

Say what? Nadal hasn't lost a clay match in ages, he lives for Davis Cup, surely if Federer has any chance it can't be played on dirt.

And before people start saying carpet is the way to go, Rafa defeated Stepanek in Czech Republic 1st round 2004 on the surface.

Bottom line unless they play on indoor grass (is that even a surface?), Nadal will be beat Fed. Spain 1-0. I'd fancy Ferrer or Verdasco to win against Wawrinka. Spain 2-0. Doubles will be tight but I'd say edge goes to Switzerland, 2-1. Fed beats Ferrer or Verdasco, 2-2. Nadal defeats Wawrinka, 3-2.

bokehlicious
09-28-2006, 04:18 PM

No more sits available already :o :p

LaTenista
09-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I think they'll both play :lol: :lol: I think the tennis channel will show this tie in the US. They always show the two most interesting ties apart from the USA's tie.

I hope you are right. :rocker2:

Castafiore
Are you masochist ? :lol:
A bit. ;) Why?:angel:

Hey, I'm realistic enough to know that it will be mission impossible if they pick a fast surface and Federer decides to grace the Swiss team with his presence but still...the Spanish DC team is usually fun to watch but in the lion's lair? :)

Action Jackson

I didn't know you liked Wawrinka that much?

Castafiore
No more sits available already :o :p

I have my sources. :angel:

bokehlicious
And before people start saying carpet is the way to go, Rafa defeated Stepanek in Czech Republic 1st round 2004 on the surface.

Are you implying that Radek is as effective as Roger on carpet ? :confused: :o :lol:

Castafiore
09-28-2006, 04:20 PM
I didn't know you liked Wawrinka that much?
Are you kidding? I can't stop talking about him.

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 04:21 PM

Bottom line unless they play on indoor grass (is that even a surface?), Nadal will be beat Fed. Spain 1-0. I'd fancy Ferrer or Verdasco to win against Wawrinka. Spain 2-0. Doubles will be tight but I'd say edge goes to Switzerland, 2-1. Fed beats Ferrer or Verdasco, 2-2. Nadal defeats Wawrinka, 3-2.

Ferrer well he got thumped like nearly everyone else does in Minsk on a very fast surface.

Spain don't have a good record on very fast surfaces. All this actually comes down to is whether Fed plays or not.

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Are you implying that Radek is as effective as Roger on carpet ? :confused: :o :lol:

Better :p

LaTenista
09-28-2006, 04:24 PM

The only time Rafa hasn't played was when he was injured. :sad:

LaTenista
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM

I'm just saying Rafa can win on carpet and away.

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Are you kidding? I can't stop talking about him.

Just hope Stani gets some back up for this tie, though I am sceptical.

bokehlicious
09-28-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm just saying Rafa can win on carpet and away.

Of course he can, but he won't play against an average journeyman this time, huge difference... :)

LaTenista
09-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Ferrer well he got thumped like nearly everyone else does in Minsk on a very fast surface.

Spain don't have a good record on very fast surfaces. All this actually comes down to is whether Fed plays or not.

Switzerland isn't Belarus.

Ferrer has a QF appearance at Paris, what has Wawrinka done on carpet?

LaTenista
09-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Of course he can, but he won't play against an average journeyman this time, huge difference... :)

:haha: I wasn't aware Stepanek was a journeyman considering he's been in the Top 10. :o

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Switzerland isn't Belarus.

Ferrer has a QF appearance at Paris, what has Wawrinka done on carpet?

I mean if Ferrer lost 10 in a row, you'd have him in the side.

Seriously, this won't matter until it's known Federer will play or not. Nadal is more than likely barring injury.

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 04:31 PM
:haha: I wasn't aware Stepanek was a journeyman considering he's been in the Top 10. :o

Stepanek's big improvement wasn't at that time was it? Simple match up issue Radek doesn't have the game or the firepower to hurt Nadal.

bokehlicious
09-28-2006, 04:32 PM

I rephrase :rolleyes: : Nadal won't play against an average top 10 player this time, huge difference :)

rofe
09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I think Switzerland will opt for a fast outdoor HC, not carpet, not grass and definitely not clay.

LaTenista
09-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Stepanek's big improvement wasn't at that time was it? Simple match up issue Radek doesn't have the game or the firepower to hurt Nadal.

Radek was ranked much higher than Rafa at the time of the tie.

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 04:35 PM
I rephrase :rolleyes: : Nadal won't play against an average top 10 player this time, huge difference :)

Correct, he'll play against an evil, arrogant top 10 player this time :p

LaTenista
I think Switzerland will opt for a fast outdoor HC, not carpet, not grass and definitely not clay.

Where in Switzerland is it warm enough to play outdoors in February? :confused:

bokehlicious

I think you meant indoor ;) The only outdoor surface available in Switzerland in February is ice :o

rofe
09-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I think you meant indoor ;) The only outdoor surface available in Switzerland in February is ice :o

Yes, I meant to say indoor. :o

Castafiore
09-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Fast outdoor HC in February?

____
Oh gosh...this is really going to be mission impossible for Spain.
Maybe I'd be better off watching Australia play against Belgium at home. Might get the chance to see Hewitt play against Ollie or something.

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Radek was ranked much higher than Rafa at the time of the tie.

Read the second part of the original quote. If not I will do it again.

Stepanek does not have the game or the firepower to threaten Nadal, it's a simple match up issue.

zicofirol
09-28-2006, 04:40 PM
With all the anticipation for this matchup this is what will happen:

Federer will play but will draw robredo or ferrer or whoever is 2nd player first beat him and Wawrinka will upset Nadal in 5 screwing up everyone dream matchup of Nadal-Federer on Sunday, lol.

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Emilio Sanchez-Vicario on Swiss choice of ground : " A very fast ( ¿ hard ?* )court would suit Rafa " :rolleyes: .

* For a matter of context it isn't possible to know if he is referring to only a hardcourt or also carpet.

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Stepanek does not have the game or the firepower to threaten Nadal, it's a simple match up issue.

Neither does Federer :angel:

Action Jackson
09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Neither does Federer :angel:

This match indoors where everything would be in Fed's favour. It won't happen.

Yappa
With all the anticipation for this matchup this is what will happen:

Federer will play but will draw robredo or ferrer or whoever is 2nd player first beat him and Wawrinka will upset Nadal in 5 screwing up everyone dream matchup of Nadal-Federer on Sunday, lol.

Maybe both will play doubles. Federer probably will if he plays the DC.

hitchhiker
I cant wait for Nadal v Bastl :rocker:

ExpectedWinner
09-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Both will not play. :devil:

Neverstopfightin
09-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Fast outdoor HC in February?

The Swiss want to freeze the few ideas Feliciano has in his head . Dirty antics :o

____

hitchhiker
09-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Both will not play. :devil:

In that case Bastl v Ferrer in a high quality carpet match, standard of play not seen since Gaudio played Puerta in shanghai

Breakdown
09-28-2006, 04:50 PM
If Fed wins AO, he'll prolly skip and root for his team from the stands:o

ChinoRios4Ever
09-28-2006, 04:52 PM
grass indoor???? :haha: :haha:

spain will win 3-2

stebs
09-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't think so.

Samuel
09-28-2006, 05:28 PM
I think if both, Nadal and Federer play in Basel we'll get some taste of what is to come. :)
And it will certainly be indoors, the season won't allow anything else.

Alvarillo
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
:scared:

buzz
09-28-2006, 05:42 PM

Nadal has never reached the AO final yet......

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Nadal has never reached the AO final yet......

Thank you captain obvious.

GlennMirnyi
09-28-2006, 07:31 PM

Get used to that because it will happen more and more often.

Eden
09-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Both players will have to decide what will be the right preparation for the tournaments they will play after the first Daviscup round. I can understand that nearly everyone wants to see a match of Roger against Rafa, but I hope that Rogers decision whether he will play will not depend on the decision if Nadal plays. If Roger will concentrate on the upcoming tournaments and the points which he has to defend, everyone should respect this. (The same goes for Rafael ;) )

Roger made it clear earlier on that the Daviscup will be an aim for him in the future, but now he is on the climax of his career and therefore I think he has all the rights to be selfish and give his GS ambitions priority :)

buzz
09-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Thank you captain obvious.

welcome:)

playing the AO final is the main reason for fed to skip the DC I think. Nadal might reach the final there this time, so maybe he won't play davis cup.

but you already got that I suppose.

Johnny Groove
09-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Get used to that because it will happen more and more often.

:ras:

sawan66278
09-28-2006, 08:20 PM
I think both Roger and Rafa will play the tie if healthy, regardless of what happens in Australia...if either don't, the media will have a field day accusing either player of trying to avoid the other in a match of this magnitude...

But I will say this: the pressure, while great for both players, will again be greater for Roger...at home, on a surface of his choice, in front of his fans...If he loses there and then...oh boy...it could really impact not only his entire year, but perhaps his career from that point forward...Can you imagine the amount of confidence Rafa would gain by beating Roger in his home country under those circumstances? He would feel he could, if he doesn't already, beat Roger anywhere...If he loses, he can simply chuck it up to the tie being played in front of Roger's fans on one of his worst surfaces...

Eden
09-28-2006, 09:01 PM
But I will say this: the pressure, while great for both players, will again be greater for Roger...at home, on a surface of his choice, in front of his fans...If he loses there and then...oh boy...it could really impact not only his entire year, but perhaps his career from that point forward...Can you imagine the amount of confidence Rafa would gain by beating Roger in his home country under those circumstances? He would feel he could, if he doesn't already, beat Roger anywhere...If he loses, he can simply chuck it up to the tie being played in front of Roger's fans on one of his worst surfaces...

The pressure on Rogers shoulders is always higher. This is the price you pay when you are the number one.

People were questioning Rogers career after losing to Rafa this year in the French Open final. Well, have a look on Rogers run since then compared to Rafaels ;)

adee-gee
09-28-2006, 09:21 PM

Are you making excuses for Federer already? :o

Pfloyd
09-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Na Federer wont play, I mean, he was lucky to have beaten Nadal in Wimbledon. 6-2 seems good for him...:lol:

Corey Feldman
09-28-2006, 09:29 PM
:lol: what a load of hot air from the rafatardos in here..... i mean seriously, even Wawrinka will bitchslap Nadal in this tie

:rolls:

People were questioning Rogers career after losing to Rafa this year in the French Open final. Well, have a look on Rogers run since then compared to Rafaels ;)great post :yeah:
Are you making excuses for Federer already? :owhere have you been? this is Sawan66278... in the top10 of MTF anti-federer club.

Corey Feldman
09-28-2006, 09:31 PM
I mean, he was lucky to have beaten Nadal in Wimbledon. 6-2 seems good for him...:lol:Yeah especially that bitchslap of a bagel in set one.

:haha:

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-28-2006, 09:46 PM
I hope Fed plays.

I would love the ass kicking he gets from Nadal in front of his home country. Should be fun to see the swiss reaction to their fallen hero.

Every year Nadal gets better and its time to put the old Federer to sleep. :devil:

sawan66278
09-28-2006, 09:51 PM
All I'm saying is that this a great opportunity to "put up or shut up"...for Rafa, if he were in Spain, I could say the same thing...How will it end up...who knows? But I will tell you, I didn't like the way Rafa reacted at the Open when Misha defeated him...I was there, and he showed some immaturity with how he reacted to a crowd that was very much against him.

cmurray
09-28-2006, 09:56 PM
All I'm saying is that this a great opportunity to "put up or shut up"...for Rafa, if he were in Spain, I could say the same thing...How will it end up...who knows? But I will tell you, I didn't like the way Rafa reacted at the Open when Misha defeated him...I was there, and he showed some immaturity with how he reacted to a crowd that was very much against him.

USA network didn't show any Rafa nastiness????? What'd he do that you didn't like?

Corey Feldman
09-28-2006, 10:03 PM
I didn't like the way Rafa reacted at the Open when Misha defeated him...I was there, and he showed some immaturity with how he reacted to a crowd that was very much against him.was hilarious wasnt it

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0188.gif

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Rafa is 20 and shows emotions like humans.

He is not some old mummy like Federer who seems incapable of human emotion (expect cying like a little girl) :D

Corey Feldman
09-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Rafa is 20 and shows emotions like humans.sometimes when he is losing points he reminds me of the little 5 year old boy who gets his robot/thundercat/toy cars taken away by his mother for misbehaving :p
i should know :sad: ma :(

on the otherhand Federer's speech at the AO this year was pure oscar winning from the heart stuff :hug:

Sunset of Age
09-28-2006, 10:37 PM
USA network didn't show any Rafa nastiness????? What'd he do that you didn't like?

I didn't see any nastiness myself either - just a young guy being very disappointed... which isn't that strange, regarding all that pressure there was on him to end up in the final again.

But then, we didn't see ANYTHING post-match USO scenes here, so perhaps I shouldn't get involved here.

Sad to see this thread turn into a Mutual Tard-bashing thread again, BTW. :rolleyes:

Bagelicious
09-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Sad to see this thread turn into a Mutual Tard-bashing thread again, BTW. :rolleyes:

I hope you're not surprised. Any thread on MTF over 5 pages long degenerates into a Rafatard vs. Fedtard bashing/masturbation thread (since they all seem to get off on bashing each other over and over again).

Anyway, whether or not Fed plays depends on how he does at the Australian Open and I think the same may apply to Rafa.

NYCtennisfan
09-28-2006, 10:50 PM
I didn't think Federer would play at all, but this matchup might induce him to do it. If he wins the AO, his #1 ranking will be pretty safe (assuming he does his share of winning this indoor season) so there might be a chance he plays.

Kalliopeia
09-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Anyway, whether or not Fed plays depends on how he does at the Australian Open and I think the same may apply to Rafa.

I can't imagine Rafa not playing unless he's injured. He loves Davis Cup and the team atmosphere. If Federer plays he'll be the only one who has a real chance of beating him. I can't believe he'd abandon the team in that situation if he could help it.

robinhood
09-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Fed'd better play. :boxing:

LaTenista
09-29-2006, 12:38 AM
:lol: what a load of hot air from the rafatardos in here..... i mean seriously, even Wawrinka will bitchslap Nadal in this tie

:rolls:

:cuckoo: Are you talking about the same Wawrinka who lost to Djokovic last weekend?

Sunset of Age
09-29-2006, 12:42 AM
I hope you're not surprised. Any thread on MTF over 5 pages long degenerates into a Rafatard vs. Fedtard bashing/masturbation thread (since they all seem to get off on bashing each other over and over again).

No I'm not surprised... I've been lurking around here for quite some while. It just boggles my mind why people just can't appreciate how GREAT *both* these fine men are for the sport! Aye, enough of that, I suppose. :angel:

I think you're right, things may well depend on the outcome of the AO. That said, I sincerely hope they'll indeed both show up for their DC teams!

Deivid23
09-29-2006, 12:43 AM
It depends. The true Roger fans would understand his decision and the others would be upset not to see a "national legend" playing in Switzerland... :shrug:

Youd obviosuly understand Rogers decision , even if you think its a retarded one, whats new? :rolleyes:

Fedex
09-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Its hard to see Federer not playing this, unless he went down with an injury. Federer's certainly up to the challenge, and I am sure the swiss team will select the fastest indoor hardcourt they have.

Deivid23
09-29-2006, 12:44 AM
If it was a quick indoor court or grass, they could even consider the possibility of F-Lo :help:

Scary shit that would be :scared:

Deivid23
09-29-2006, 12:46 AM

Knock, knock, Spain has already a doubles team good enough to win that match;)

sawan66278
09-29-2006, 12:49 AM
I love Rafa...he's my favorite player presently on tour...but what I was trying to say was that he seemed very hurt and surprised that the fans were pulling for Misha at the Open...I myself was disappointed...but the reaction he got there will be nothing like he will get in Fed country...but I think Rafa is up to the challenge...if anything, it might actually work in his favor...especially playing for his country.

Deivid23
09-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Emilio Sanchez-Vicario on Swiss choice of ground : " A very fast ( ¿ hard ?* )court would suit Rafa " :rolleyes: .

* For a matter of context it isn't possible to know if he is referring to only a hardcourt or also carpet.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is our captain Emilio Sanchez-Vicario, good luck to us :retard:

Rogiman
09-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Open your ass, Rafa.

Johnny Groove
09-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Yeah especially that bitchslap of a bagel in set one.

I find it hilarious that the Fedtards, when discussing Rafa at Wimbly on talk about the fact that he had a cupcake Uncle Toni influenced draw, Kendrick choked, and federer bagelled him in the final. They fail to talk about how from R32-Final, he won all his matches in straights, including Nieminen and Baghdatis (clowns, im sure :rolleyes: ) and he took Fed to 2 tiebreaks and won one of them (not one other player Fed played even got to a tiebreak)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
09-29-2006, 12:57 AM
I love Rafa...he's my favorite player presently on tour...but what I was trying to say was that he seemed very hurt and surprised that the fans were pulling for Misha at the Open...I myself was disappointed...but the reaction he got there will be nothing like he will get in Fed country...but I think Rafa is up to the challenge...if anything, it might actually work in his favor...especially playing for his country.

He should well realize that the crowd in general will most often cheer for the underdog! And that was NOT the World's #2 in this very case.
Ah, I guess he'll get used to it. He'll have to... and if he one day indeed manages to become #1, he'll have to face it a lot more!

Indeed, a little immature...
As you see, I'm a fan of his, but I surely acknowledge his shortcomings. This rather childish reaction, if it happened as you say, is one of those.
Give him a break though - the guy is only 20!

Bagelicious
09-29-2006, 01:10 AM
He should well realize that the crowd in general will most often cheer for the underdog! And that was NOT the World's #2 in this very case.
Ah, I guess he'll get used to it. He'll have to... and if he one day indeed manages to become #1, he'll have to face it a lot more!

Indeed, a little immature...
As you see, I'm a fan of his, but I surely acknowledge his shortcomings. This rather childish reaction, if it happened as you say, is one of those.
Give him a break though - the guy is only 20!

I think people forget this, and instead of putting his age in perspective, they tend to heap even higher expectations on him because he's managed to achieve so much so young.

I don't think it was just a case of cheering for the underdog in this match - Rafa is very popular in North America. I think people really started to get on Youzhny's side when they saw that he had really come to play and wasn't going to roll over and play dead for the world #2. They were cheering because he made it a competitive match - playing amazing tennis and refusing to be intimidated by Rafa's energy.

By the end, he'd won the crowd over because he'd earned it - not because the crowd didn't like Rafa.

If Rafa had won the match, the crowd would have cheered just as hard for him. It's just nice to cheer for a well-earned unexpected result every once in a while (e.g. Safin-Federer AO '05).

Sunset of Age
09-29-2006, 01:22 AM
I think people forget this, and instead of putting his age in perspective, they tend to heap even higher expectations on him because he's managed to achieve so much so young.

I don't think it was just a case of cheering for the underdog in this match - Rafa is very popular in North America. I think people really started to get on Youzhny's side when they saw that he had really come to play and wasn't going to roll over and play dead for the world #2. They were cheering because he made it a competitive match - playing amazing tennis and refusing to be intimidated by Rafa's energy.

By the end, he'd won the crowd over because he'd earned it - not because the crowd didn't like Rafa.

If Rafa had won the match, the crowd would have cheered just as hard for him. It's just nice to cheer for a well-earned unexpected result every once in a while (e.g. Safin-Federer AO '05).

I completely agree. By 'cheering for the underdog' I rather meant to refer to general crowd behaviour, not as much to this particular match (Youzhny indeed was AWESOME, no less!).
Anyway, Rafa will have to accept that he's not the only much loved player out there!

cmurray
09-29-2006, 01:29 AM
I can't speak for other countries, but Americans LOVE underdogs. If Misha had been playing Federer, there would have been equally loud cheers for him. Maybe even louder. Rafa is a nice guy and he's probably unaccustomed to not being pulled for. He'll get used to it. As it is, it's probably sad for him. I'd be sad too, I think.

GlennMirnyi
09-29-2006, 02:11 AM
I can't speak for other countries, but Americans LOVE underdogs. If Misha had been playing Federer, there would have been equally loud cheers for him. Maybe even louder. Rafa is a nice guy and he's probably unaccustomed to not being pulled for. He'll get used to it. As it is, it's probably sad for him. I'd be sad too, I think.

Americans hate Nadal's game. Face it. They cheered against him in every tournament he played there.

Mechlan
09-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Americans hate Nadal's game. Face it. They cheered against him in every tournament he played there.

Johnny Groove
09-29-2006, 02:28 AM

:rolleyes:

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-29-2006, 02:28 AM

Who gave this chimp, named Glenn, a computer.
No wonder he likes Mirnyi, a beast can only like a beast.

GlennMirnyi
09-29-2006, 02:31 AM

Who gave this chimp, named Glenn, a computer.
No wonder he likes Mirnyi, a beast can only like a beast.

They prefered to support a Russian, ex-commie, instead of Mogli. :haha:

fyi
09-29-2006, 02:43 AM

I think Americans cheered for Misha at USO because they did not want Roddick to face Rafa the next round. They just wanted to avoid to have world number2 to play with American player.:)

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-29-2006, 02:44 AM
I think Americans cheered for Misha at USO because they did not want Roddick to face Rafa the next round. They just wanted to avoid to have world number2 to play with American player.

Finally a voice of reason.

GlennMirnyi
09-29-2006, 02:45 AM
I think Americans cheered for Misha at USO because they did not want Roddick to face Rafa the next round. They just wanted to avoid to have world number2 to play with American player.:)

Why did they cheered for Moodie then?
Or for Ferrero in Cinci?

Johnny Groove
09-29-2006, 02:47 AM
They prefered to support a Russian, ex-commie, instead of Mogli. :haha:

Yes, that was their initial outlook on the match :rolleyes: When Federer played Sampras in 01, was the crowd behind Fed at the get-go? or did they continue to warm up to him as the match went on?

GlennMirnyi
09-29-2006, 02:49 AM
Yes, that was their initial outlook on the match :rolleyes: When Federer played Sampras in 01, was the crowd behind Fed at the get-go? or did they continue to warm up to him as the match went on?

Sampras was never Agassi, you know that.

mangoes
09-29-2006, 03:12 AM

Of the hundreds of people watching the match, not more than 40 were considering this prospect. They were simply cheering for the underdog. The crowd was initially cheering for Nadal, but switched sides midway through the match.

Ferrero Forever
09-29-2006, 06:10 AM
Yeah I reckon Federer will play. He seems to play when his country needs him most. However when I saw this draw I shuddered, because Spain can win this, but it's going to be bloody difficult. I give both teams a 50-50 chance of winning, and I reckon the scores will be 3-2, dunno who will emerge the victor though. It will be a very interesting tie, thats for sure

World Beater
09-29-2006, 06:26 AM
I find it hilarious that the Fedtards, when discussing Rafa at Wimbly on talk about the fact that he had a cupcake Uncle Toni influenced draw, Kendrick choked, and federer bagelled him in the final. They fail to talk about how from R32-Final, he won all his matches in straights, including Nieminen and Baghdatis (clowns, im sure :rolleyes: ) and he took Fed to 2 tiebreaks and won one of them (not one other player Fed played even got to a tiebreak)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yep grass court gods nieminen and marcos " i have never won a match on grass before 2006" baghdatis.

lolz...perhaps he won his matches so easily because of the draw;)

it was the most pathetic draw i have ever seen. but years from now, nobody will remember that, they will remember nadal got to the final....so good for him

next thing you know, the rafatards will say ginepri indoors in madrid was a great win...:haha:

bokehlicious
09-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Na Federer wont play, I mean, he was lucky to have beaten Nadal in Wimbledon. 6-2 seems good for him...:lol:

Rafatardos are the funniest people on earth :rolleyes: :retard:

bokehlicious
09-29-2006, 07:09 AM
:cuckoo: Are you talking about the same Wawrinka who lost to Djokovic last weekend?

Djokovic would have trashed Nadal :)

bokehlicious
09-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Youd obviosuly understand Rogers decision , even if you think its a retarded one, whats new? :rolleyes:

Sure. Getting the edge to #1 ranking is a retarded decision compared to the "most important tennis event" Davis Cup :rolleyes: :retard:

Action Jackson
09-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Knock, knock, Spain has already a doubles team good enough to win that match;)

If they aren't playing Federer and Allegro, then yes.

~EMiLiTA~
09-29-2006, 07:50 AM
if rafa is there, he will play for sure

Action Jackson
09-29-2006, 07:53 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, this is our captain Emilio Sanchez-Vicario, good luck to us :retard:

You should lead a coup to get rid of Muoz. Albert Costa would make a very good DC captain.

Breakdown
09-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Rafa=Fed Killa? :confused: :eek:

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Rafa=Fed Killa?

Be a man and talk to me to my face and not behind my back.

Breakdown
09-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Be a man and talk to me to my face and not behind my back.

:eek: Where did you learn Russian??
It's a difficult one to learn so if you know it, you are just :worship: :worship:

Don't take my comments close to heart :wavey: ;
i had a nervous breakdown(it had nothing to do with tennis) and it was written in jest :rolleyes:

FSRteam
09-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Being a home tie, during the European indoor season, I don't see Federer skipping it.

I think he only skipped SWI vs. AUS this year because it was on clay.

You're wrong, federer is the one that chooses the surface so if he'd wanted to play, he would have aked for another surface!

FSRteam
09-29-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't think Nadal's decision will make any difference on Roger's decision to play or not. It's still for him alone to decide. But I can see and understand the pressure if he decides not to.

Anyway it will be a good chance for Roger to build some confidence against Nadal to play on home soil with full support, which might make a difference to his psychological condition...

It can be an even bigger pressure to play on home soil. Imagine if he loses in front of his crowd!?!

FSRteam
09-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I didn't say that. Nadal owned Federer in Dubai and Monte Carlo.

In Rome, he had two match points and blew them away with two UE.

In Roland Garros, he was great in the first set and then collapsed (kudos for Nadal for raising his game too).

Same in dubai, fed played great in the first set and then collapsed!

FSRteam
09-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Say what? Nadal hasn't lost a clay match in ages, he lives for Davis Cup, surely if Federer has any chance it can't be played on dirt.

I didn't know stepanek was as good as federer...!?!

FSRteam
09-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Outdoor in February in Switzerland?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Norrage
09-29-2006, 11:00 AM
I think it will be so easy for Fed to beat Nadal when he has coach around. He wont be able to brainfart then and play stupidly like he does in most matches against Nadal.
Nadal on the other hand won't have any added advantages cause he is already being coached during his matches.

shotgun
09-29-2006, 12:48 PM
You're wrong, federer is the one that chooses the surface so if he'd wanted to play, he would have aked for another surface!

Yeah, you're right. Come to think of it he probably skipped it because he thought the Swiss team didn't need his help to beat Australia without Hewitt.

FSRteam
09-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Yeah, you're right. Come to think of it he probably skipped it because he thought the Swiss team didn't need his help to beat Australia without Hewitt.

Nope, just because February was a bad time for his programme. He had many points to defend and it just wasn't the right time to play DC for him. He played last year on clay because it was ok with his programme.

The swiss could've beaten australia if guccione had not had his huge serve on that day!!! He was just serving crazy!

Corey Feldman
09-29-2006, 01:19 PM
find it hilarious that the Fedtards, when discussing Rafa at Wimbly on talk about the fact that he had a cupcake Uncle Toni influenced draw, Kendrick choked, and federer bagelled him in the final. They fail to talk about how from R32-Final, he won all his matches in straights, including Nieminen and Baghdatis (clowns, im sure :rolleyes: ) and he took Fed to 2 tiebreaks and won one of them (not one other player Fed played even got to a tiebreak)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:Actually... Nicolas Mahut did in the third round

:angel:

Corey Feldman
09-29-2006, 01:24 PM
:cuckoo: Are you talking about the same Wawrinka who lost to Djokovic last weekend?Sure... what is wrong with losing to Djoke... a player himself "who controlled" Rafa during the French Open match this year :p

stan is already a talent, he will be one helluva talent 6 months from now.

Corey Feldman
09-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Open your ass, Rafa.:haha: :haha:

LaTenista
09-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Sure... what is wrong with losing to Djoke... a player himself "who controlled" Rafa during the French Open match this year :p

stan is already a talent, he will be one helluva talent 6 months from now.

:haha: I like Nole but please the score was like 6-4, 6-4 to Rafa when Djokovic retired. Had he continued it would have been another straight sets victory for Nadal.

I like Wawa too but his best results are on clay, a surface Switzerland cannot choose if they want any chance of winning the tie, which is less than 5 months away.

What Nadal has is experience, he's already won the Davis Cup, and he's still improving too. ;)

FSRteam
09-29-2006, 02:33 PM
:haha: I like Nole but please the score was like 6-4, 6-4 to Rafa when Djokovic retired. Had he continued it would have been another straight sets victory for Nadal.

I like Wawa too but his best results are on clay, a surface Switzerland cannot choose if they want any chance of winning the tie, which is less than 5 months away.

What Nadal has is experience, he's already won the Davis Cup, and he's still improving too. ;)

On an extremly fast surface, I am sure that wawa could beat nadal. His serve is much better than rafa's and I remember stan coming to the net after his serve his avery efficient manner in some of his matches. Plus, he hits very hard especially on the backhand side and this is exactly what you need to beat nadal ( la youhzny or balke)!!!

So don't be that sure that nadal would kick stan out of a very fast court! :)

Corey Feldman
09-29-2006, 02:52 PM
:haha: like Nole but please the score was like 6-4, 6-4 to Rafa when Djokovic retired. Had he continued it would have been another straight sets victory for Nadal.I know, but it was Nole's words, not mine ;)

Dancing Hero
09-29-2006, 05:30 PM
I hope Federer does have the cojones to face Nadal in the Davis Cup. This would bring back some excitement and interest to the comp at an early stage. No. 1 and 2. It would be fascinating to see how both of them react in a team environment and Nadal to a crowd rooting for Federer.

Eden
09-29-2006, 06:01 PM
I can't imagine Rafa not playing unless he's injured. He loves Davis Cup and the team atmosphere. If Federer plays he'll be the only one who has a real chance of beating him. I can't believe he'd abandon the team in that situation if he could help it.

Did Rafa play this whole year for Spain? I wouldn't take it for granted that he will play because he has many points to defend next year. He seems to listen to his body more at the last months taking more time-outs.

Therefore I think the question of this thread should also be: Will Nadal play?

And I repeat myself: Rogers decision to play should not depend on Rafaels. Roger knows best what to do for his ambitions to make 2007 as great as 2006 was for him :)

Roger said that the Daviscup is an aim for him in the future, but now he has to concentrate on his other ambitions. Tennis is an individual sports first of all no matter how great the atmosphere in a team is :)

Neverstopfightin
09-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Did Rafa play this whole year for Spain? I wouldn't take it for granted that he will play because he has many points to defend next year. He seems to listen to his body more at the last months taking more time-outs.

He has said thousand of times DC is his fave competition, he loves defending his country since it's a unique feeling . If he's healthy there's no chance of him skipping a DC tie .

Eden
09-29-2006, 08:26 PM
He has said thousand of times DC is his fave competition, he loves defending his country since it's a unique feeling . If he's healthy there's no chance of him skipping a DC tie .

Thanks for your answer :wavey:

MissMoJo
10-02-2006, 05:26 PM

And I repeat myself: Rogers decision to play should not depend on Rafaels. Roger knows best what to do for his ambitions to make 2007 as great as 2006 was for him :)

Roger said that the Daviscup is an aim for him in the future, but now he has to concentrate on his other ambitions. Tennis is an individual sports first of all no matter how great the atmosphere in a team is :)
:)
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/6023326

Nadal not sure if he'll play vs. Switzerland

Associated Press
Posted: 60 minutes ago

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Rafael Nadal could miss Spain's Davis Cup matchup against Switzerland — and a potential showdown with Roger Federer.

"I don't know if I'll play," Nadal said Monday. "Normally, I don't play the first round and at this moment I don't know if I will."

Nadal and Federer both play only one Davis Cup series per season, and neither will commit to the first round matchup on Feb. 9-11 in Switzerland.

Nadal is 6-2 against Federer, including a win in this year's French Open final. But the top-ranked Federer beat Nadal in this year's Wimbledon final.

Dancing Hero
10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Let's hope Federer plays. It would do the Davis Cup the world of good for him to meet Nadal.

nobama
10-02-2006, 06:20 PM
:)
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/6023326

Nadal not sure if he'll play vs. Switzerland

Associated Press
Posted: 60 minutes ago

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Rafael Nadal could miss Spain's Davis Cup matchup against Switzerland and a potential showdown with Roger Federer.

"I don't know if I'll play," Nadal said Monday. "Normally, I don't play the first round and at this moment I don't know if I will."

Nadal and Federer both play only one Davis Cup series per season, and neither will commit to the first round matchup on Feb. 9-11 in Switzerland.

Nadal is 6-2 against Federer, including a win in this year's French Open final. But the top-ranked Federer beat Nadal in this year's Wimbledon final.This is quite funny. All we've heard in this thread is how Nadal will be there because he loves Davis Cup so much. It's all about if Roger will show or not. Now Nadal says he doesn't normally play first round and isn't sure if he'll play. :haha:

Naranoc
10-02-2006, 06:48 PM
And neither is Federer ;):

http://www.as.com/articulo/Deporte/Federer/considera/Espana/fuerte/sabe/jugara/dasmasB00/20061002dasdasmas_1/Tes/

^^

In his first press conference at the Japan Open, the world number one, replied to the question (from EFE) with an evasive "I don't know if I'll play" without referring directly either to Spain or to Rafael Nadal.

Swiss tennis player Roger Federer said that he does not know yet if he will be part of the Swiss team to play Spain, a team he considers to be "very strong", in the first round of next year's Davis Cup.

"It is going to be a very difficult tie, which we already knew as we were not seeded in the draw, but we have the advantage of playing at home," said Federer about the clash which will take place 9th-11th February.

He looked ill at ease when asked for his opinion of the Spanish team and limited himself to saying "very strong" without going into details about the great interest among tennis fans about the possibility, or not, of seeing him come up against Rafael Nadal, the world number two.

I think think this will all boil down to the Australian Open, and whoever reaches the final/wins there.

Dancing Hero
10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Maybe neither of them will play.

:D

Naranoc
10-02-2006, 06:54 PM
^ That might actually happen, if both conspire together :lol: That way, neither has to face the sticky situation of letting their country down alone.

nobama
10-02-2006, 08:24 PM
:lol: I'd love it if both of them opt out and deny everybody this "dream" tie.:devil:

Kalliopeia
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
This is quite funny. All we've heard in this thread is how Nadal will be there because he loves Davis Cup so much. It's all about if Roger will show or not. Now Nadal says he doesn't normally play first round and isn't sure if he'll play. :haha:

According to some people over on vamosbrigade who speak Spanish, this is actually mistranslated. He's talking about Federer, not himself.

cmurray
10-02-2006, 11:13 PM
According to some people over on vamosbrigade who speak Spanish, this is actually mistranslated. He's talking about Federer, not himself.

Poor Rafi. The guy is constantly being mistranslated. I hope they both play or neither.

nobama
10-02-2006, 11:51 PM
According to some people over on vamosbrigade who speak Spanish, this is actually mistranslated. He's talking about Federer, not himself.So what he actually said was:

"I don't know if Roger will play," Nadal said Monday. "Normally, he doesn't play the first round and at this moment I don't know if he will."

And that was translated into:

:confused:

atheneglaukopis
10-03-2006, 12:02 AM
So what he actually said was:

"I don't know if Roger will play," Nadal said Monday. "Normally, he doesn't play the first round and at this moment I don't know if he will."

:confused:One scenario I can come up with is that Nadal first said, "Normally he doesn't play the first round and at this moment I don't know if he will."

Then someone wrote that as, "Nadal was quoted as saying he doesn't know if he (meaning Federer!) doesn't play, etc." (Which is ambiguous in English but not in Latin, and I expect Spanish works more like Latin, although possibly it's ambiguous there too. Someone help me out here.)

Either way, some English speaker could then have misunderstood that as meaning that Nadal was quoted as saying he doesn't know if he (meaning Nadal) will play, and rendered it back into direct speech, "I don't know if I will play, etc."

It's a possibility.

Corey Feldman
10-03-2006, 12:23 AM
:lol: :lol:
oh... so this thread title should really have been WILL RAFA HAVE THE BALLS TO PLAY??

Kalliopeia
10-03-2006, 02:58 AM
So what he actually said was:

:confused:

I don't know the exact quote but apparently, yes. Didn't the same sort of thing happen at the French?

Rafa = Fed Killa
10-03-2006, 03:00 AM
oh... so this thread title should really have been WILL RAFA HAVE THE BALLS TO PLAY??

Of course he will. He is a fighter not a ballet dancer. :D

Eden
10-03-2006, 11:21 AM
One scenario I can come up with is that Nadal first said, "Normally he doesn't play the first round and at this moment I don't know if he will."

Then someone wrote that as, "Nadal was quoted as saying he doesn't know if he (meaning Federer!) doesn't play, etc." (Which is ambiguous in English but not in Latin, and I expect Spanish works more like Latin, although possibly it's ambiguous there too. Someone help me out here.)

Either way, some English speaker could then have misunderstood that as meaning that Nadal was quoted as saying he doesn't know if he (meaning Nadal) will play, and rendered it back into direct speech, "I don't know if I will play, etc."

It's a possibility.

Did only one journalist attend this pressconference? :confused: There must have been some journalists who should understand Spanish and would be able to translate it to English.

Eden
10-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Maybe neither of them will play.
:D

Well, we will have to wait and see how both players will decide :)

Until then it seems to be more fun for some people to accuse Roger not having the balls to play ;)

Neverstopfightin
10-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Nadal on the possibility of Roger not playing this tie : " We hope he doesn't play since it would be an advantage for us and we would be really silly not taking advantage of it "

nobama
10-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Nadal on the possibility of Roger not playing this tie : " We hope he doesn't play since it would be an advantage for us and we would be really silly not taking advantage of it "When did he say this?

Neverstopfightin
10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
When did he say this?

Today

Naranoc
10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
:haha: Wouldn't we all like to make up some quotes?

nobama
10-03-2006, 11:29 PM
TodaySource?

Neverstopfightin
10-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Source?

:lol:

I don't know if you usually post faked quotes but it isn't my case. :rolleyes:

He said that yesterday in spanish mass media and appears in a lot of online pages and newspapers.

The quote in spanish is : " "Ojalá no juegue. Para nosotros sería una ventaja y sería de tontos no aprovecharla ".

I'm not an expert in english language but I think my translation expresses accurately what he said and meant.

Sunset of Age
10-04-2006, 11:10 AM
If Nadal indeed said that - and I'm inclined to believe it - than I can't see Roger not playing in February!

Apparently the Spanish really fear The Mighty Fed.

Hum. We'll have to see what happens. Personally I think the possibility of both not showing up is getting more and more likely. Damm.

Kalliopeia
10-04-2006, 11:19 AM
If Nadal indeed said that - and I'm inclined to believe it - than I can't see Roger not playing in February!

Hum. We'll have to see what happens. Personally I think the possibility of both not showing up is getting more and more likely. Damm.

I don't think it shows that they fear Federer. I mean, Rafa at least clearly doesn't. But it would be ridiculous to think anything other than having to beat Federer will make their task harder. Of course it will. Fear and respect are completely different things.

Sunset of Age
10-04-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't think it shows that they fear Federer. I mean, Rafa at least clearly doesn't. But it would be ridiculous to think anything other than having to beat Federer will make their task harder. Of course it will. Fear and respect are completely different things.

I think we actually meant the same thing, I chose my words a little poorly - or rather, sarcastically :devil: .
Anyway, conclusion is the same: they'd better turn up BOTH, or NEITHER. Otherwise the match will be a fluke.

Perhaps someone should start a petition on this...
"Please, Fed and Nad, PLAY!!!" :kiss:

nobama
10-04-2006, 12:11 PM

Hum. We'll have to see what happens. Personally I think the possibility of both not showing up is getting more and more likely. Damm.We won't know until after AO I think. Certainly if Roger were to win AO again I expect he would decide not to play.

adee-gee
10-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Nadal is shit scared of him.

maldini
11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Roger Federer just announced that he won't play the Davis Cup 1st round match against Spain (9-11 February)...same reasons than last year: focus on nr. 1 etc.

aussie_fan
11-07-2006, 10:18 AM
silly reason, he has so many points anyway. He could almost single-handily win the davis cup for the swiss if he played.

Hendu
11-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Roger Federer just announced that he won't play the Davis Cup 1st round match against Spain (9-11 February)...same reasons than last year: focus on nr. 1 etc.

too bad.

do you have a source?

maldini
11-07-2006, 10:27 AM
too bad.

do you have a source?

http://www1.sf.tv/sfsport/artikel.php?catid=sporttennisartikel&docid=20061107_01
the site of the swiss tv, but it's in german......

and i can't believe it, it will be played in geneva again!!! :mad:
again..i wouldn't have played neither, if i were roger..again to geneva...;)

~EMiLiTA~
11-07-2006, 10:32 AM
i think it's very selfish, Switzerland could win the DC with him, instead they are having to qualify for the world group in september. he would bring so much motivation to the team if he played...just ridiculous

Kalliopeia
11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Disappointing, but unsurprising. I don't know why he ever even acted like he was considering it. It's a shame that he considers it less of an achievement to win at Davis Cup than to win at individual tournaments.

ginnylegend
11-07-2006, 10:44 AM
What a coward. No doubt he'll come back and break somebody's heart in the WG playoff (as they will lose to Spain now)

Eden
11-07-2006, 10:46 AM
i think it's very selfish, Switzerland could win the DC with him, instead they are having to qualify for the world group in september. he would bring so much motivation to the team if he played...just ridiculous

Why do you already think that Switzerland won't win the tie against Spain without Roger? ;)

I can understand Rogers decision very well :) He has to concentrate on his own aims. There is enough time left for the Davis Cup. He already mentioned that it will be an aim for him later on.

ginnylegend
11-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Why do you already think that Switzerland won't win the tie against Spain without Roger? ;)

I can understand Rogers decision very well :) He has to concentrate on his own aims. There is enough time left for the Davis Cup. He already mentioned that it will be an aim for him later on.

Nadal, Moya, Ferrero, Lopez, Robredo, Verdasco....and then Wawrinka. The amount of quality they can pick from. The swiss have no chance.

Andre♥
11-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Even without Roger, Switzerland continues to be the favourite imo.

ginnylegend
11-07-2006, 10:51 AM

How? Wawrinka's best surface is clay.. are they supposed to play it on clay?

Eden
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Nadal, Moya, Ferrero, Lopez, Robredo, Verdasco....and then Wawrinka. The amount of quality they can pick from. The swiss have no chance.

So the Spanish team has already confirmed who will play as well?

bokehlicious
11-07-2006, 10:54 AM
and i can't believe it, it will be played in geneva again!!! :mad:
again..i wouldn't have played neither, if i were roger..again to geneva...;)

Last time the DC ties were played in the german part the audience was poor, in Geneva it's always crowded... Plus Stan will be the leader of the team and he's got many fans in the french speaking part :)

bokehlicious
11-07-2006, 10:55 AM

Stan can play on every surface these days...

ginnylegend
So the Spanish team has already confirmed who will play as well?

It will be two out of that lot playing singles and probably Nadal/Robredo in doubles.

You can't tell me the Swiss are going to win with one decent player and weak backup.

The second Swiss player will be a gimme- 2 points for Spain. Where will the other come from? No Federer for doubles, so Allegro has to work with someone else.

Spain are now massive favouries.

~EMiLiTA~

i didn't say Switzerland couldn't win the tie without Roger, but their chances would be significantly improved if he played.

i understand he wants to focus on his own game, but come on, how many times does he have to play as part of a team throughout the year? surely he can put a few weekends aside to play DC like most of the other top guys do. i'm sure he'll be quite happy to play in $$Dubai$$ soon after, but won't play DC.

and i don't buy the "focusing on number 1" thing...no one is even vaguely close to him in the rankings, i expect him to beat Rafa on clay sometime next year too...i'm sure if he had to divert his attention away from himself for a few days it would not hurt him or his ranking

regardless of who it is, if there is no specific injury reason, i think it's selfish not to play DC...and in Fed's case even more when he could help his country's team so much and be able to play in front a home crowd

ginnylegend
11-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Stan can play on every surface these days...

grass?

Yes but can he carry them over the line? He would have to beat Nadal probably and then the second player, which is a mighty tough ask.

maldini

thank you!

bokehlicious

Who cares about DC btw ? :zzz: Roger still has more important achievements to aim...

Andre♥
11-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Wawrinka best surface is not clay. He can play very well in any kind of surface. See his Basel results or when he took Djokovic to a fifth set in the Davis Cup.

The other swiss will probably be Bastl or Chiudinelli. They have a chance against Boredo.

And Allegro/Wawrinka won't give a chance to any kind of spanish doubles team.

I can see them winning 3-2 against Spain.

And we aren't sure Nadal is going to play now with Federer out.

Blue Heart24
11-07-2006, 10:57 AM
He's affraid of Nadal :lol:

Loremaster
11-07-2006, 10:58 AM
:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: Federer shitted his pants !!. Wilander was right he really doesn't have balls

Eden
11-07-2006, 10:59 AM

Rafa hasn't confirmed until now that he would play :rolleyes:

~EMiLiTA~
11-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Who cares about DC btw ? :zzz: Roger still has more important achievements to aim...

who cares about DC? all the other players apart from Roger, apparently.

apart from RG which is in May, what other imminent achievements does he have to aim for in February?

maldini
11-07-2006, 11:00 AM

definitely not.....:rolleyes:

Andre♥
11-07-2006, 11:00 AM
grass?

The guy beated Karlovic in the first round of Wimbledon and took a set off Ancic in the third round.

ginnylegend
11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
The guy beated Karlovic in the first round of Wimbledon and took a set off Ancic in the third round.

Still it's a big ask to expect him to carry the Swiss over the line with 3 victories over the weekend.

Despite Boredo being a joke player I don't see Bastl or Chiudinelli having enough to beat him. The best thing would be if Spain picks LaLo, as Chiudi has proved he can beat him already.

Andre♥
11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
apart from RG which is in May, what other imminent achievements does he have to aim for in February?

He wants to get some MS titles that he's still missing. Monte Carlo and Rome are two of them.

Paris is the other.

Loremaster
11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
definitely not.....:rolleyes:

definitely Yes !!

Andre♥
11-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Still it's a big ask to expect him to carry the Swiss over the line with 3 victories over the weekend.

Despite Boredo being a joke player I don't see Bastl or Chiudinelli having enough to beat him. The best thing would be if Spain picks LaLo, as Chiudi has proved he can beat him already.

About Boredo, I have two words for you: Wayne Arthurs

ginnylegend
About Boredo, I have two words for you: Wayne Arthurs

Is Bastl a big serve-volleyer though?

~EMiLiTA~
He wants to get some MS titles that he's still missing. Monte Carlo and Rome are two of them.

Paris is the other.

ok, and how does playing DC in february affect that?

bokehlicious
11-07-2006, 11:05 AM

:rolleyes: Unfortunately noone of them are on track to the GOAT spot, if they were they wouldn't rate the DC as a priority... They cares about what Roger let them :o

nobama
11-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Who cares about DC btw ? :zzz: Roger still has more important achievements to aim...Yeah people remember Pete's 14 slams and 6 year end #1's, not how many times he was part of a winning DC team. That's like when someone asked Tiger Woods about his Ryder Cup record and he asked the reporter right back what Jack Nicklaus's record was. The reporter had no idea. Then Woods asked him how many majors Jack had and the reporter knew right away - 18.

~EMiLiTA~
11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately noone of them are on track to the GOAT spot, if they were they wouldn't rate the DC as a priority

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if he really wanted to add another dimension to being the GOAT, he would try and win a DC too

nobama
11-07-2006, 11:12 AM

Do you actually care if he plays DC or not? I don't see why it's a big deal if he plays or not. Maybe for the Swiss team and fans, but I can't see why it would matter to anyone else.

bokehlicious
11-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Do you actually care if he plays DC or not? I don't see why it's a big deal if he plays or not. Maybe for the Swiss team and fans, but I can't see why it would matter to anyone else.

She doesn't give a damn for sure but each opportunity to bash Roger is worth a comment... So predictable... :rolleyes:

Castafiore
11-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Lots of players care about the Davis Cup and lots of players who have won it cherish that victory! It's not because Federer doesn't play this tie that you need to downplay its importance.

Well, it's not really a big surprise that Federer isn't playing. It remains to be seen if Nadal will play it.
However, Roger mentions the defence of his number one spot as one of the reasons. :scratch: He has a very, very comfortable lead so participating in the DC or not is not going to make much of a difference anyway.

Too bad, it would have been fun to see Switzerland vs Spain with Roger playing.

Maybe for the Swiss team and fans, but I can't see why it would matter to anyone else.
Why would it only matter to them? Seeing the number one in action or not is always a big deal, whether you're a fan or not.

~EMiLiTA~
11-07-2006, 11:18 AM

for the principle, yes i do care. he's the number 1 player in the world, would be playing at home (which he doesn't often get to do), his participation would significantly help his team and give other team members a chance to play alongside him. i think it's only fair he give something back to swiss tennis and (swiss) fans by representing them. the same would go for any other top player from any other country. tennis is becoming such a selfish, money-oriented sport...DC is a change from all that.

nobama
11-07-2006, 11:19 AM
She doesn't give a damn for sure but each opportunity to bash Roger is worth a comment... So predictable... :rolleyes:
Yes it amazes me the people that get upset when he doesn't play DC. Like JMac last year. Why do they care? It's not like a regular tournament where fans might not show up if the #1 isn't there.

nobama
11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
for the principle, yes i do care. he's the number 1 player in the world, would be playing at home (which he doesn't often get to do), his participation would significantly help his team and give other team members a chance to play alongside him. i think it's only fair he give something back to swiss tennis and (swiss) fans by representing them. the same would go for any other top player from any other country. tennis is becoming such a selfish, money-oriented sport...DC is a change from all that.
I'm not swiss, and I assume you're not either. Honestly what he gives back to swiss tennis I could care less about. That's between him and the rest of the team. And maybe the rest of the guys want to prove they can win a tie without him.

bokehlicious
11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
i think it's only fair he give something back to swiss tennis and (swiss) fans by representing them.

He does so. Seing "SUI" next to the #1 name makes the day of most of swiss tennis fans, far more than a first round DC show up... :)

scarecrows
11-07-2006, 11:25 AM

maybe not the favourites but they have a good shot with Wawa and Chiudi/Bastl if they have a good period

shotgun
11-07-2006, 11:28 AM

Collect his appearance money in Dubai. :p

bokehlicious
11-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Collect his appearance money in Dubai. :p

He doesn't need those peanuts :o :p

shotgun
11-07-2006, 11:33 AM
It's going to be just like the last two years, Switzerland will likely lose in the first round, then Roger comes back for the playoffs and destroys some team that was hoping to enter the World Group after getting through the Zonal ties.

Guybrush
11-07-2006, 11:37 AM

Yeah right. :rolleyes:

bokehlicious
11-07-2006, 11:38 AM
It's going to be just like the last two years, Switzerland will likely lose in the first round, then Roger comes back for the playoffs and destroys some team that was hoping to enter the World Group after getting through the Zonal ties.

Nothing wrong with that. Whether he wishes to compete it one year he better keeps Switzerland in the world group...

nobama
11-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Collect his appearance money in Dubai. :pYep, along with Nadal. ;)

shotgun
11-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Nothing wrong with that. Whether he wishes to compete it one year he better keeps Switzerland in the world group...

Sure, but it must be really frustrating for those teams to draw Switzerland in the playoffs.

Deivid23
11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Federer couldn´t care less for Swiss DC fans, but those are old news, nothing wrong with that imo, I´m not a Swiss fan :shrug:

*Ljubica*
11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm with JMPower, Eden and Mirkaland on this one - good for Roger for sticking to his principles without being forced into something he doesn't want to do or doesn't feel comfortable with. If he doesn't want to play DC - why should he? I know that lots of players and fans see it as such a big deal - well good for them, but many like myself and obviously Roger, don't feel like that, and that's our prerogative and should be respected too. There are some players who put it before their own careers/earnings/ranking points and that is their choice - good for them - but Roger obviously doesn't - and I'm pretty sure he does an awful lot for his country and for tennis there through charity work etc. so what's the big deal?. Agassi didn't play it much, neither did Sampras, Henman has given it up and also Moya - players know their own bodies and capabilities better than we do - he must do what he feels comfortable with and trust his own judgement. As I said - good for Roger.

nobama
11-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Well SUI hasn't lost to ESP yet. And we don't know if Nadal is playing. If he were to win AO next year he might not play either.

Puschkin
11-07-2006, 11:49 AM
I know that lots of players and fans see it as such a big deal - well good for them, but many like myself and obviously Roger, don't feel like that, and that's our prerogative and should be respected too.
:yeah: A voice of reason, but most people lose theirs when the national anthem is played and flags are waving. Congrats, Roger for one more brave decision. Tennis is not, was not and will never be a team sport. It is for the individual.