BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2006 !! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2006 !!

Drew37
11-03-2006, 10:31 PM
BBC have commenced the voting for the shortlist of 10...to be voted on the night by Joe-Soap !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/6080190.stm

Please visit the site and vote for Andy !....at least we can get him in the shortlist so we can see some hi-lights of him on the TV !!!!!

jazar
11-05-2006, 12:49 PM
he doesnt deserve sports personality of the year. he's a whingeing, arrogant tosser who thinks he much better than he is. all these threads praise him but to be honest he's got lucky so far. his wins against roddick came when roddick was having a bad patch and on a court at wimbledon that gets slower every year. hewitt had a rubbish year, explaining why murray beat him in san jose and federer was nowhere near his best in canada. if murray is gonna be good he still needs to do more fitness. he's like a stick and he still gets tired soo easily. i thought brad gilbert would have sorted it by now, but i guess murray's laziness is just shining through.

Trivial
11-05-2006, 03:05 PM
he doesnt deserve sports personality of the year. he's a whingeing, arrogant tosser who thinks he much better than he is. all these threads praise him but to be honest he's got lucky so far. his wins against roddick came when roddick was having a bad patch and on a court at wimbledon that gets slower every year. hewitt had a rubbish year, explaining why murray beat him in san jose and federer was nowhere near his best in canada. if murray is gonna be good he still needs to do more fitness. he's like a stick and he still gets tired soo easily. i thought brad gilbert would have sorted it by now, but i guess murray's laziness is just shining through.

Yea all those big matches he has won are all down to luck :rolleyes: It doesnt matter whether Roddick or Hewitt were in the middle of bad patches, most guys on the tour would still not have been able to have beaten them. And the same goes with Roger, Murray has the skills and talent it takes to exploit him when he is having a bad day, most guys out there don't.

Agree with you a little on the arrogance and lack of fitness...two traits that i do not like. But hopefully in the off season him and Brad can really work on his fitness and he will come back a different species at the Australian Open.

jazar
11-05-2006, 05:53 PM
a lot of people on tour could have and have exploited bad days from hewitt and roddick, thats why they lost in the early rounds of a lot of tournaments earlier this year.

USA vs Romania Davis Cup hard court
Andrei Pavel bt. Andy Roddick 6-7, 2-6, 7-6, 6-2, 6-2

Memphis hard court
Julien Benneteau bt. Andy Roddick 3-6, 6-4, 7-6

Master Series Indian Wells hard court
Igor Andreev bt. Andy Roddick 6-4, 6-7, 6-1

Adelaide hard court
Phillip Kohlschreiber bt. Lleyton Hewitt 6-3, 0-6, 7-5

Sydney hard court
Andreas Seppi bt. Lleyton Hewitt 4-6, 7-5, 7-5

Australian Open hard court
Juan Ignacio Chela bt. Lleyton Hewitt 6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 6-2

and there are plenty lore results like that, and all those players are ranked lower than andy murray, so you can't say that murray is the only who has beaten them in their bad patches.

Trivial
11-05-2006, 08:22 PM
and there are plenty lore results like that, and all those players are ranked lower than andy murray, so you can't say that murray is the only who has beaten them in their bad patches.

I haven't and wouldn't. Please read my post again and notice that I said 'most guys'. Also I notice that you decided not to quote facts on who has beaten Roger Federer. I don't want to get into a big debate on whether Andy Murray can beat guys such as Roddick, Hewitt and Federer when they are at their best, because it is touch and go. However I do believe that rankings don't lie...nobody gets into and stays in the top 20, or beats roddick (twice), Hewitt and Federer in one season due too luck on its own.

jazar
11-05-2006, 08:59 PM
you wouldn't think that, but it happened. when federer, nadal and roddick are on top form they will beat the crap out of murray. especially in the latter stages of tournaments when murray is tired cos he is so unfit.

Drew37
11-06-2006, 06:30 PM

If you read my post carefully you will notice I am not saying he should win....fair enough you dont like him...its a free country....it would be good to see him in the top 10 for voting on the night. As for your inability to give credit where credit is due...well its still a free country.......going up 49 ranking places in the last 12 months (66 to 17) is pretty good going and that does not happen by luck.....and one of his best wins this year is when he beat Gonzalez....and he has had a great year...so no excuses there ;)

jazar
11-06-2006, 07:57 PM
fair enough i didnt read your post. but it is blatantly obvious he's gonna get in the top 10, i mean what other british athletes have done anything praiseworthy this year?

Drew37
11-11-2006, 11:41 AM
fair enough i didnt read your post. but it is blatantly obvious he's gonna get in the top 10, i mean what other british athletes have done anything praiseworthy this year?

none spring to mind !

jazar
11-11-2006, 09:52 PM
here are some of the possble choices:

Steven Gerrard - world cup was crap
Darren Clarke - he wasnt the only one on the ryder cup team
Joe Calzaghe - who really knows what he has won?
Kevin Pietersen - cricket was last year and england have hardly won since
Michael Vaughan - same as above, plus he is always injured
Zara Philips - horse riding, get out
Andrew Strauss - another cricketer
Paul Casey - world matchplay champion, but how can you vote for a golfer
Andrew Murray - consolidated world ranking, won a tournament
Nicole Cook - swimmer and who really cares about swimming
Andrew Flintoff - thats so last year
Steve Harmison - why so many cricketers
Monty Panesar - no coloured person has ever won a tv vote
Tony McCoy - cos he's always in it

looking at that its fairly obvious that murray should be near the top

JustJames
11-11-2006, 10:10 PM
here are some of the possble choices:

Steven Gerrard - world cup was crap
Darren Clarke - he wasnt the only one on the ryder cup team
Joe Calzaghe - who really knows what he has won?
Kevin Pietersen - cricket was last year and england have hardly won since
Michael Vaughan - same as above, plus he is always injured
Andrew Strauss - another cricketer
Paul Casey - world matchplay champion, but how can you vote for a golfer
Andrew Murray - consolidated world ranking, won a tournament
Nicole Cook - swimmer and who really cares about swimming
Andrew Flintoff - thats so last year
Steve Harmison - why so many cricketers
Monty Panesar - no coloured person has ever won a tv vote
Tony McCoy - cos he's always in it

looking at that its fairly obvious that murray should be near the top

What a poor list :rolleyes: Surely someone has done something..

P.S LOL @ Zara Philips comment! ;)

jazar
11-12-2006, 10:08 AM
i've got it.

david walliams.

how could we be so stupid not to think of him?

JustJames
11-12-2006, 07:44 PM
i've got it.

david walliams.

how could we be so stupid not to think of him?

Swimming across the channel?

Because he's the only person to have ever done that... :rolleyes: ;)

jazar
11-13-2006, 07:45 AM
firstly, i wasnt being serious. i mean come on.

and secondly he's not exactly an athlete. look at him-he's fat.

JustJames
11-13-2006, 09:26 AM
firstly, i wasnt being serious. i mean come on.

and secondly he's not exactly an athlete. look at him-he's fat.

Yeah I guessed, I'm British...I get sarcasm. :) :p

Have been racking my brains...still not thought of anyone :rolleyes:

jazar
11-13-2006, 08:31 PM
neither can i.
at this rate its going to be a very interesting and possibly incredibly short programme this year

Drew37
11-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Not a year to shout about realy is it.....Darren Clark will win it.....it was rumoured that Clark was going to withdraw his name from the list but nothing since...that was on the Beeb....Darren will win....Murray has plenty of time to win it....Im sure when he wins the USO in 2010 he will get it :)

jazar
11-19-2006, 11:03 AM
murray obviously will win it at some point in his career.

why would darren clarke win it though.? its not like he single handedly won the ryder cup for europe. he just played very well considering the circumstances.

JustJames
11-19-2006, 06:38 PM
murray obviously will win it at some point in his career.

why would darren clarke win it though.? its not like he single handedly won the ryder cup for europe. he just played very well considering the circumstances.

Yes but things have to be but into perspective..

Everyone else has done s**t all :lol:

jazar
11-20-2006, 07:52 AM
someone must have done more than darren clarke. surely british sport can't be in that bad a position

JustJames
11-20-2006, 06:15 PM
someone must have done more than darren clarke. surely british sport can't be in that bad a position

Oh possibly that gymnast..Beth Tweddle(sp?). She did win the world championships after all. Even though I don't think that he deserves it (yet), Andy has a really good chance at winning this thing.

jazar
11-20-2006, 08:42 PM
yeah lets go with the gymnast. not only did she win gold and become like the first british gymnast to win a gold medal since like ever, she is much better looking than all the other potential winners

jazar
12-11-2006, 04:06 PM

noooooooo. i would much rather murray had won

JustJames
12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
noooooooo. i would much rather murray had won

The horse is the one who deserved too win! :rolleyes: ;)

By the time the award came round I was rooting for Cooke (the cyclist), she is the world number one and won the Tour De France this year. She also said that she trains by cycling 200-300 miles a week (cranking that upto 400-500 when big racers get closer)..that's ultimate dedication. Shame she didn't win :sad:

Well done too Zara though..she wasn't my choice but I can't argue with her getting the award, after all she is the best in the world. :wavey:

jazar
12-12-2006, 07:49 AM
come on though it shows what a bad year british sport had when the highlight was an equestrianist.
although nicole cooke's achievements are impressive, she doesn't train anymore than any other pro cyclist. i don't want to take anything any from her, but womens cycling is far less competitive than mens cycling. in the womens races there are only about 4 or 5 riders that have a chance, whereas almost anyone in the mens peloton can win.
the gymnast should have won. we've had success in horse riding before, but gymnastics is something different. the prize should have been shared between zara phillips and her horse, toytown.

Duncan
12-13-2006, 04:53 PM
In my eyes Phillips was the only one that truly deserved to win it this year. Congrats to her

Drew37
12-13-2006, 09:48 PM
In my eyes Phillips was the only one that truly deserved to win it this year. Congrats to her

Sorry...it was the horse that won...not Phillips :)

Anyway Calzaghe should have won this year...but boxing just not popular sport....i dont watch it but he is a world champion

jazar
12-14-2006, 07:44 AM
there are plenty of boxing world champions, the only special thing calzaghe did was step up a weight group and win the title in it. the gymnast, beth tweddle, should have won. we have had success in every other sport except gymnastics, so her achievement is something that should have been celebrated more

JustJames
12-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Blah Blah...Cooke should have won :ras: ;)

Duncan
12-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Sorry...it was the horse that won...not Phillips :)

Anyway Calzaghe should have won this year...but boxing just not popular sport....i dont watch it but he is a world champion

Don't be so silly! The horse didn't win at all. Are you trying to say you could have done that on that horse? I think not. Calzaghe claims he is brilliant but 1 performance against Lacy won't win him much especially as he was so poor in his last fight and now he is scared to face some german guy because he is a decent fighter so he deserves to win nothing.

JustJames
12-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Don't be so silly! The horse didn't win at all. Are you trying to say you could have done that on that horse? I think not. Calzaghe claims he is brilliant but 1 performance against Lacy won't win him much especially as he was so poor in his last fight and now he is scared to face some german guy because he is a decent fighter so he deserves to win nothing.

Can't be much harder than riding a bike can it? ;)

You could claim that what Phillips did was one brilliant performance when she won the world championships. Isnt that what boxing is about though? Performing at your optimum for a few nights during your career...Nothing should be taken away from Calzaghe, he is an excellent sportsman and deserved the award much more than Phillips did. But im still sticking with Cooke. World No 1 and winner of the 2006 Tour De France..what more could be asked of her? :rolleyes:

jazar
12-14-2006, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=JamesObv.;4555744}You could claim that what Phillips did was one brilliant performance when she won the world championships. Isnt that what boxing is about though? Performing at your optimum for a few nights during your career...Nothing should be taken away from Calzaghe, he is an excellent sportsman and deserved the award much more than Phillips did. But im still sticking with Cooke. World No 1 and winner of the 2006 Tour De France..what more could be asked of her? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Cooke doesnt have much competition in women's cycling. can you name any other women's cyclists? it is easier to name other boxers and equestrianists, cos even though they are more minority sports some of their stars are household names? i don't want to take anything away from nicole cooke, as cycling is my second sport after tennis, but she only dominates because of the weak competition.

JustJames
12-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Cooke doesnt have much competition in women's cycling. can you name any other women's cyclists? it is easier to name other boxers and equestrianists, cos even though they are more minority sports some of their stars are household names? i don't want to take anything away from nicole cooke, as cycling is my second sport after tennis, but she only dominates because of the weak competition.

People have also tried to use the same argument to demote Federer's achievments. But my opinion is that one can only beat those who are put in front of one, and she has done that, it is not her fault that there is a lack of competition.
I can't honestly say that I can name another female cyclist, I only recently discovered Nicole Cooke, due to the almost complete ignorence of her achievments by the press :rolleyes:

Im not disagreeing with your opinion on Calzaghe though, I had him up there with Cooke as my choice. Philips :rolleyes:

jazar
12-15-2006, 07:46 AM
People have also tried to use the same argument to demote Federer's achievments. But my opinion is that one can only beat those who are put in front of one, and she has done that, it is not her fault that there is a lack of competition.
I can't honestly say that I can name another female cyclist, I only recently discovered Nicole Cooke, due to the almost complete ignorence of her achievments by the press :rolleyes:

point taken there, and given i'm a huge cycling fan i would have liked to have seen cooke win, but as a sports fan in general i wanted to see the most deserving athlete win, which in my opionion was beth tweddle.
a more deserving cyclist may have been david millar, who 2 years ago volunterily gave himself up for doping offences with ever testing positive, then made a comeback this year and rode the tour de france and the vuelta d'espana and won a british track title and the competition in men's cycling is very high both world wide and nationally

JustJames
12-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Are we the only two people that post in the British section these days? :rolleyes: :lol:

jazar
12-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Are we the only two people that post in the British section these days? :rolleyes: :lol:

yes. thats why british sport had such a bad year, cos it seems no one else is interested except us

Drew37
12-17-2006, 01:00 AM
yes. thats why british sport had such a bad year, cos it seems no one else is interested except us

nonsense.....plenty of us !!!!!!!!!!!

jazar
12-17-2006, 08:25 AM
calm down, i was just having a laugh.

JustJames
12-17-2006, 11:48 AM
nonsense.....plenty of us !!!!!!!!!!!

Well that makes three :lol:

The British forum is pretty dusty though... :rolleyes:

jazar
12-17-2006, 05:30 PM
we need someone to do something either good or controversial so we can discuss it

JustJames
12-17-2006, 06:07 PM
we need someone to do something either good or controversial so we can discuss it

I heard Tim didn't brush his teeth this morning :eek:

Maybe we should just make a thread about the state of British tennis...that's all anybody seems to want to talk about anyway. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should just make up some rumours... :aplot:

jazar
12-18-2006, 03:48 PM
I heard Tim didn't brush his teeth this morning :eek:

Maybe we should just make a thread about the state of British tennis...that's all anybody seems to want to talk about anyway. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should just make up some rumours... :aplot:

rumours, yes, good idea. i heard murray wanted £80,000 to play the aberdeen cup.

thats a start, and its also not a rumour-its true

JustJames
12-18-2006, 04:52 PM
rumours, yes, good idea. i heard murray wanted £80,000 to play the aberdeen cup.

thats a start, and its also not a rumour-its true

Jeez..£80,000!!?! :eek: Did he get it? Or anywhere close to it?

Think we need something more juicy though :lol: Maybe a sex orientated one..they always seem to cause the most controversy.

jazar
12-18-2006, 06:17 PM
he did indeed get it.

so, sex. how bout henman is screwing rusedski's wife and rusedski is screwing henman's wife?

JustJames
12-18-2006, 07:46 PM
he did indeed get it.

so, sex. how bout henman is screwing rusedski's wife and rusedski is screwing henman's wife?

Thought we were making stuff up. ;)

How about regular sex orgies between the top three British players(throw in wives and girlfriends as well), and that's the real reason why Bogdanovic never seemed to put much effort into breaking the top 100 this last year, and never wanted to play Davis Cup. He's not really into the swinging scene. I can see the headlines now...

Boggo revels British gang Bangs
Boggo doesn't like to do it with [Hen]Men (small spelling inaccuracy..that can be the Daily Star)

jazar
12-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Thought we were making stuff up. ;)

How about regular sex orgies between the top three British players(throw in wives and girlfriends as well), and that's the real reason why Bogdanovic never seemed to put much effort into breaking the top 100 this last year, and never wanted to play Davis Cup. He's not really into the swinging scene. I can see the headlines now...

Boggo revels British gang Bangs
Boggo doesn't like to do it with [Hen]Men (small spelling inaccuracy..that can be the Daily Star)

i'm not too sure boggo would realise what was going on, afterall he is a bit thick.
maybe the davis cup and fed cup teams could 'compare notes' sometime. that would be good fun