Amazing Borg against Gerulaitis footage in wimbledon 77... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Amazing Borg against Gerulaitis footage in wimbledon 77...

marcRD
11-01-2006, 08:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSVe2ZniCVA

Tennis was so different back then. The way they played with the limited raquets and the clothes they wear. But you can just see the greatness in Borg in this footage, without any doubt he would have adapted great to modern raquets, the man was unbelivably talented and had great athletism aswell. There are some amazing points in this video, please give me your opinion.

feuselino
11-01-2006, 10:27 PM
They seemed to use the lob an awful lot back in those days... :)

MisterQ
11-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Brilliant stuff! Thanks for sharing that. Didn't realize how close Borg had come to losing in that tournament.

I like how they summed up the first two sets. ace, ace...:lol:

MisterQ
11-01-2006, 10:36 PM
That long baseline exchange near the end almost looked like a modern Wimbledon rally. :lol:

lordmanji
11-01-2006, 10:48 PM
great footage, marc. i can really sense the power and agility of borg in that clip versus some other ones out there. he had quite an amazing lob and passing shot

neenah
11-01-2006, 10:56 PM
That was a great video. I love serve and volley! And there were plenty of lobs since pretty much every point they showed involved one player at the net. It was great!

Metis
11-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Nice!

The clothes, the rackets, the hair :lol:

And 2 lobs per point on average :lol:

scoobs
11-02-2006, 12:44 AM
I only got into tennis in the mid 80s, being born in the late 70s, and I have to say from my perspective all that looks very...sedate.

A lot of people lament what's been lost in tennis but I think it's gained a lot of intensity that I like.

Merton
11-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Thanks for that, it is impossible to compare directly tennis of the late 70's with today but still it is very interesting to watch these old matches.

Johnny Groove
11-02-2006, 03:40 AM
tennis in those days was more touch and feel, as compared to the power and spin of today

Merton
11-02-2006, 03:42 AM
I mean Volandri would probably win against Borg 6-3, 6-2 on clay but the comparison is totally meaningless.

Johnny Groove
11-02-2006, 03:43 AM
it seemed like they were barely tapping the ball in that video. And merton, u really think that big serve Volandri would straight set Borg?

Merton
11-02-2006, 03:46 AM
Sure, Borg with his wooden racquet would not stand many chances.

Ernham
11-02-2006, 03:53 AM
Main differences are the speed at which the ball travels. With the old racquets you didn't get much return on the power you invested in your swings; now-a-days you get far more. It wasn't that they actually hit the ball with less force, just less force translated into the ball. Because of this, power wasn't as big of a factor as reflexes/footspeed/stamina(especially). connors(and even borg somewhat) was the first guy to really introduce the powerful swings, even with the crappy translation of invested force into force on the ball. In connors/borg days, the two-handed backhand was incredibly rare. By Sampras's era it was uncommon, and by the end of it, the two-handed backhand became more common than the one handed. This is all just the evolution of the game due to the increased in translation of power into the ball, it is NOT due to players of today being more powerful, although that may also be partly true.

Johnny Groove
11-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Sure, Borg with his wooden racquet would not stand many chances.

what if Volandri had to use the stick? or if Borg got a modern racquet?

Merton
11-02-2006, 03:57 AM
what if Volandri had to use the stick? or if Borg got a modern racquet?

Since I don't like Volandri, the first option would be more funny to watch.

senorgato
11-02-2006, 11:13 AM
It always baffled me how so many people called Borg just a boring baseline player. He won Wimbledon 5 times in a row by attacking the net fairly consistently. He wasn't the most brilliant volleyer, but he was up there and pretty effective.

Dancing Hero
11-02-2006, 11:58 AM
If you could bring a young Bjorn Borg into today's game, or a Connors, with modern rackets and the like, they'd still be greats imo. They had the attributes of champions and the hunger to work week in, week out. And would give Federer some much needed competition.