Why do people hate Roddick? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why do people hate Roddick?

~*BGT*~
11-01-2006, 03:45 AM
There's a thread on why people dislike Nadal, but Roddick is just despised unlike any other player. So, what's your reason? I dislike Fed, but I certainly don't hate him. I enjoy his tennis, but of course, I don't like it when he beats my favorites, especially when they have have done so before (Andy), have the talent to do so (James), or are very close to beating him (Gasquet). Of course, I'm upset at those guys too because they can beat him; they have the talent, but Fed has this little annoying way about him by raising his game just when someone else is about to beat him or when the opponent is even with him or winning even if he's playing poorly. That's just a tad bit annoying. :p I realize that he is probably the GOAT, and I'm watching history happen.

So why do you people hate Andy? Just curious.

Johnny Groove
11-01-2006, 03:54 AM
Roddick isnt as hated as in 03-04 here, when he was winning. Ive searched through some of the threads from back then and the crap being spewed was just as bad as the anti-Nadal crap today

Katastrophe
11-01-2006, 03:55 AM
I am not a fan of Roddick's, but hate seems like such a harsh word to attribute to him or anyone else for that matter. He's still really young in terms of chronological age, even though he's been on tour for quite awhile now. His attitude sometimes leaves a lot to be desired sometimes.

He sinks himself with infamous quotes like the one he dropped against Youzhny at this year's US Open..."Too big." Things like that are offensive to the ears of many, and Roddick is liable to do that.

He has been treated like a star in the States since the jump, and I think that's affected his demeanor, and not for the best. Some people are better equipped/able to handle that initial burst of fame at an early age; Roddick, IMO, has not.

I still stay he has potential, though. :)

Voo de Mar
11-01-2006, 03:55 AM
I like Andy. He is funny to watch and his matches are always interesting. I don't know why people hate him, but for sure hatered is a bad feeling. I dislike only Ferrero and Robredo :devil:

Johnny Groove
11-01-2006, 03:56 AM
because he says things OUT LOUD :p

Mimi
11-01-2006, 03:57 AM
jealous that he earns so much, has a good looking face and so popular in the world :p

partygirl
11-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Jealous bitches of course.:p

He exceeds all expectations, he is an overachiever & i think people love to hate that when its in a perfectly matketable package & look too...
call it: "Has-it-too-good-syndrome"

plus he has an attitude & can be a real Bitch.:p

...It is funny though because he gets like 0 respect.

General Suburbia
11-01-2006, 04:13 AM
because he says things OUT LOUD :p
Not using this as an argument or anything, but I just felt like posting this. It makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1BIe35skSU

I♥PsY@Mus!c
11-01-2006, 04:22 AM
I don't hate him,I just don't like his game.

R.Federer
11-01-2006, 04:32 AM
I have also wondered about this. Many people will say it's because he's successful, good looking (to some) and rich. But Marat is all that and he is so beloved by the tennis community, so that doesn't explain it. Maybe a lot of it has to do with being American- although Andre is beloved by a big international community too. I don't know!

robinhood
11-01-2006, 04:33 AM
I don't hate him,I just don't like his game.

ditto

bluefork
11-01-2006, 04:37 AM
I think it mostly comes down to his attitude on court. Some people like his confrontational personality, and some really don't. I think that's what it basically comes down to. I mean, it probably doesn't help that his game isn't beautiful like Federer or some other players, but I think it's mostly the way he acts on court.

DONADANG
11-01-2006, 04:42 AM
I hate it when people say "If it wasn't for Fed, Roddick would have 4-5 slams by now" like it's a bad thing.

I love Andy and I hope he continues to piss people off.:devil:

~*BGT*~
11-01-2006, 04:44 AM
I hate it when people say "If it wasn't for Fed, Roddick would have 4-5 slams by now" like it's a bad thing.

But... it's true. 3 Wimbledons and 2 USOs and #1 until who knows when.

zicofirol
11-01-2006, 04:52 AM
because he is an arrogant prick. And there is a difference between being confrontational and an asshole, roddick is an asshole.

partygirl
11-01-2006, 04:55 AM
because he is an arrogant prick. And there is a difference between being confrontational and an asshole, roddick is an asshole.
:lol:

bluefork
11-01-2006, 04:56 AM

Well, it's possible to be confrontational to the point of being an asshole, which Roddick often is. Personally, I don't get why people find it cute, but his fans seem to really like that side of him. To each his own, I guess.

disturb3d
11-01-2006, 05:01 AM
This is more of a life story. But here goes.

Roddick was one of my favorites in 2001/02, he was a brash punk who fought well, and seemed like a nice guy.
I didn't follow tennis throughout 2003, but was glad to hear he made year-end no.1

Started following tennis again in late-04, because I heard some Federer guy was on his way to being GOAT. From Houston TMC to the 05 AO, I cheered only Agassi and Roddick. Up until the AO quarterfinals, where I saw a guy named Nalbandian who at the time was playing the most enjoyable tennis I had ever seen.

Skip ahead to the grass season.
-Agassi dealing with back problems, was class like usual. And refused to retire against Nieminen in RG.
-Nalbandian was going through troubles in his career and personal life. But showed respect towards Schuettler during his boo'fest tank in halle.
-Roddick, the favorite to take Queens. Showed his first signs of pompous arrogance against Stepanek and Karlovic.

Wimbledon went by. And I realized Roddick was winning matches over players with greater abilitiy and intelligence. And his over-competitive nature quickly became apathetic, the opposite of sympathetic.

I wondered how it took me so long to find the common sense to dislike Roddick. Also, who the hell would be stupid enough be his fan. Surprise, surprise, 99% of his fans are female.

I also came to despise the attention whores (ie. Blake, Safin, but not so much) who constantly try to woo the crowd. Instead of play to their limits, and create quality points.
How many times have we seen Blake try to rip the cover off an easy overhead, totally shunning any sense of direction but to hit as hard as possible. Only to be passed by Federer and have to give the fake "too good" line.

To wrap up. I dislike Roddick. But I hate on-court Roddick.
And every time I hear that he's made a new fan, I try remind myself that he has no talent. And I'm good to roll.

~*BGT*~
11-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Well, it's possible to be confrontational to the point of being an asshole, which Roddick often is. Personally, I don't get why people find it cute, but his fans seem to really like that side of him. To each his own, I guess.

Being confrontational and an asshole are two different things. Being confrontational means acting in a way that makes people want to know about your behavior, or even want to be violent with you. Being an asshole just means being cocky and arrogant. I don't know how many people want to fight Andy. ;) An asshole, he is. :p

Mimi
11-01-2006, 05:58 AM
give us some examples when he acted like an asshole? :confused:

*Ljubica*
11-01-2006, 07:09 AM
I don't hate him - but I can't stand his big serve game :yawn: Equally I can't stand Rusedski or Mirnyi or Ljubicic's games either - so its not just Roddick's serve that bores me - it's that whole style with very little finesse or artistry - just doesn't appeal to me, which is why I prefer clay court tennis where you get more variety (lobs, drop shots etc), and not so much serve dominance! And as a personality - well I just don't like that kind of brash, loud pesonality - sorry. As another poster said here earlier - some find it cute - that's their prerogative - I just find his manner obnoxious and too "in your face": for my personal taste :shrug:

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Somebody has to.

DONADANG
11-01-2006, 07:25 AM

I think you've misunderstood what I wrote.

What I meant was most people tend to think that if Andy was a multi slam winner in this era then there's must be something seriously wrong with the game/competition. :o completely disregarding the fact that he can actually play on the big stages..:rolleyes:

partygirl
11-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Somebody has to.
why? :sad:

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 08:17 AM
why? :sad:

It's a fact of life, not everyone is going to like the same things, people or players.

As for Roddick I don't care for the game, but even less for him. If he starts winning again then the general loathing will come back stronger than it has been recently, but his peak days of people hating him are over.

nanoman
11-01-2006, 09:32 AM
-Ugly game, ugly service motion, the way he bend his body, it looks like he is taking a crap.
-His face. To me, every manface is neutral or offensive. Offensive in a way that invites you to punch him. Roddick is the latter. (btw Fed, Hewitt also got offensive faces, but fed's game makes up for that. )
-Tries too hard to be funny/seeks attention on court. Some will call this charismatic, I call this over-pretentious. This coupled with his face defenitely rubs me the wrong way.

I don't hate that guy. But I will cheer against him everytime.

oz_boz
11-01-2006, 09:36 AM
I can only tell why I dislike him - ugly game (serve+forehand, nothing else) and bad on-court attitude ("too big" and such). It was obviously tougher to put up with for the haters when he won a lot, nowadays he gets some sympathy because he can't live up to the expectations after 2003.

Personally I believe Andy could gain a lot if he was as nice on court as he is post match. His bad attitude seems kind of fake to me, and he only gets really serious with it when he is clearly in the lead. I get the impression that keeping himself pumped up in this way takes more energy than it gives.

Oriental_Rain
11-01-2006, 09:41 AM
bec hes annoying and nauseating to watch :fiery: He relies too much on his serve!
I remember when ppl started calling him the future of American Tennis, and where is he now? :shrug:

euroka1
11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't hate him - but I can't stand his big serve game :yawn: Equally I can't stand Rusedski or Mirnyi or Ljubicic's games either - so its not just Roddick's serve that bores me - it's that whole style with very little finesse or artistry - just doesn't appeal to me, which is why I prefer clay court tennis where you get more variety (lobs, drop shots etc), and not so much serve dominance! And as a personality - well I just don't like that kind of brash, loud pesonality - sorry. As another poster said here earlier - some find it cute - that's their prerogative - I just find his manner obnoxious and too "in your face": for my personal taste :shrug:

These are my feelings too.
"hate" is a very strong word and in this context seems almost entirely to be used by the Roddick fans who cannot stand anyone with a view contrary to their own. They would even prefer that its expression not be allowed at all. A democratic society should be able to tolerate all shades of opinion with good grace. :wavey:

The Pro
11-01-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't mind Roddick, but I think he's a bit much on court sometimes.

The roaring at the crowd when he gets a point, the 'hoo-ra folks' bs. He aint that bad, but there is enough of the typical american in him to really wind people up.

Especially compared to the mild swiss Rog, the well-spoken brit Tim or the enigmatic ruskie Marat, Roddick doesn't have so much the likability factor going for him anymore. He isn't fresh faced and enthusiastic now, he's kind of washed up and getting perhaps, desperate...

safin-rules-no.1
11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
-Ugly game, ugly service motion, the way he bend his body, it looks like he is taking a crap.
-His face. To me, every manface is neutral or offensive. Offensive in a way that invites you to punch him. Roddick is the latter. (btw Fed, Hewitt also got offensive faces, but fed's game makes up for that. )
-Tries too hard to be funny/seeks attention on court. Some will call this charismatic, I call this over-pretentious. This coupled with his face defenitely rubs me the wrong way.

I don't hate that guy. But I will cheer against him everytime.

:haha:

Winston's Human
11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
I have also wondered about this. Many people will say it's because he's successful, good looking (to some) and rich. But Marat is all that and he is so beloved by the tennis community, so that doesn't explain it. Maybe a lot of it has to do with being American- although Andre is beloved by a big international community too. I don't know!

Somehow, I suspect that Andre circa 1988-94 would not have been too popular here on MTF.

euroka1
11-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Somehow, I suspect that Andre circa 1988-94 would not have been too popular here on MTF.

I think you're right about that! I have a theory that individuals evolve through personality types. The types remain the same. Andy Murray currently reminds me a lot of the young Andy Roddick. Andy R. will eventually become a grand old man, dispensing wit and wisdom from the commentator's box. (JMac style).

Interesting that Brad Gilbert is a common factor, possibly defining this personality type! :eek:

The Pro
11-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Like Jimmy Conors in a way. A bit of a nut him, but now, I mean he sits in the commentary box and says things like 'it's such an honour to be here, thanks for having me, anyway, these kids today, they got their fast serves and what have you...'.

Makes you think we'll all be old one day, watching the kids zoom past:eek:

Ernham
11-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Ugly tennis.
Bad attitude.
One dimensional.

~EMiLiTA~
11-01-2006, 01:30 PM
i don't understand how you can "hate" someone you don't even know

the way some posters talk on here (saying both negative and positive things about players) it's as if they know them personally inside out

NyGeL
11-01-2006, 01:37 PM
I think it is becouse he was #1 without being the best. I mean, without his serve, he hardly can be top 10.

bluefork
11-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I think it is becouse he was #1 without being the best. I mean, without his serve, he hardly can be top 10.

I don't hate Roddick for this. It's not his fault that the competition was weak in 2003. Similarly, I don't see why Ljubicic, Robredo, and Nalbandian should be hated just because they've made it into the top 10, even though there might be more talented players outside of the top 10.

DDrago2
11-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Back in 2003 Roddick was the law, he was seen as the best player, was much more known and popular then the true best player Federer. Even TV commentators were cheering for Roddick to remain no.1, there were even columns in which Roddick was warned not to let "the dark shadow Federer" over-take him
But I cheered for Federer to do it because I clearly saw he is the best player on the world and should proove than to everyone I was so happy when it started happening durin 2004

But I never hated Roddick. I think he has a positive atitude towards life, knows to make things look good (much more so than Federer!) I AM sometimes annoyed with his arrogance, but he is like that only sometimes... Generaly I think he is a great sportsman. I also admire his serve, unlike some people here It's very ahletic and special, his service motion So powerfull

Pea
11-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Please, check threads since 2002. There should be plenty of reasons to answer your thought provoking question.

Rosa Luxembourg
11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I don't hate him, but I do dilsike him since his US Open match a few years ago when he was running around Armstrong stadium like an idiot yelling "It's my house" ... I don't remember who he was playing against in that match, but it wasn't a close a match (Roddick was winning comfortably) and Roddick himself wasn't a huge star to warrant this kind of behaviour.

Katastrophe
11-01-2006, 02:47 PM

No doubt about it. Early on, Agassi was a punk. He was treated like royalty from a very young age- that can't help but affect you, and make you believe that you don't have to abide by the same rules as everyone else. I remember Lendl saying that Agassi was, "...a forehand and a haircut."

He played in California a lot, and nobody was too happy to see him act up the way he did. If memory serves me correctly, he was responsible for saying more than a few nasty things that do not bear repeating.:o

He grew up a lot though, later on. I wonder if his mellowing attitude was in direct proportion to his accelerating hair loss in the mid 90's...:p

R.Federer
11-01-2006, 02:56 PM

It's possible, but how do you know he was going to beat the player he played instead of Roger?

~*BGT*~
11-01-2006, 03:34 PM
It's possible, but how do you know he was going to beat the player he played instead of Roger?

Who would have beaten him? Hewitt? Agassi? Safin? :confused: He was unbeaten on grass by every single player save Roger. With his serve and power game, he would have dominated QC and Wimbledon for three years, except this year's season long brain cramp.

R.Federer
11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Who would have beaten him? Hewitt? Agassi? Safin? :confused: He was unbeaten on grass by every single player save Roger. With his serve and power game, he would have dominated QC and Wimbledon for three years, except this year's season long brain cramp.

Surely it's not pre-determined who wins a final based on a H2H otherwise why are they played? Based on H2H, nadal would have won Wimbledon 2006 as well. Safin would have won the AO against Tojo (did you think otherwise before the final?). Was there no one, even on these boards, who thought that andy had a chance in this year's USO, even they thought it was a small chance? Andy would have had a great chance of collecting those titles if he had not played Roger, but what a player brings to a slam final may be very different from what they bring on every other day (better or worse).

tennisgal_001
11-01-2006, 03:44 PM

The inevitable Butterfly Effect.

To answer blackgirltennis' original question:
I most certainly do not hate him. Heck, I don't even know him to hate him. I dislike the fact that he has been hyped over the past 3-4 years as the next great thing, while really, his still possesses the same 1-dimensional game, that relies on a powerful serve and forehand. To me, he over-achieved when he won the USO back in '03, and became #1. But ever since then, he has not IMPROVED much. He still lives off the old days when he was at his "prime" (which wasn't even THAT long), and is more word than action. His constant thrive for attention on the court is frustrating, and quite often makes me lose interest in his matches. And what he, and our gracious commentators here in the US will never realize/keep trying to deny, is that he will NEVER be a TRUE champion/, unless he changes his approach/mentality, and realizes that just because he was once at the top, doesn't give him a free pass into a Slam final or even the top-10. Another thing that REALLY gets to me is his obsession with Federer. Yes! He's always going on and on about how Federer has raised the par, and how it is difficult to keep track of his achievements. In A-Rod terms, "Well, DUH!!!"... He needs to do some serious work in the growing up department before attempting to become a better tennis player. HIS game has nothing to do with Federer. So I find his "obsession" a silly mental excuse he puts upon himself to make matters more difficut for him, and therefore escape the transition from a one-Slam wonder to a legit contender. Laziness, attention-seeking, lack of interest? I don't know, but what I do know is that those are enough reasons for me to feel repulsed by his game.

safinalium
11-01-2006, 03:47 PM
i dislike him because he plays boring. if i have a whole day free and have to choose only one player to watch, this won't be roddick for sure. i would probably fall asleep after 2 hrs. though, i've noticed that since he started working with jimmy connors, he tries to develop, goes more to the net and it's a little bit more interesting to watch him. still, i don't find anything special about his game which can make me like him.

Jadranka
11-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Because Andy is an arrogant guy ;)

Klaas_nalbandian
11-01-2006, 03:53 PM
like someone said before, few years a go a really didn't liked him when he was winning all the time

First match of him against Chang I loved the guy and nowadays I also like him a little bit, He is a good guy and I certainly don't hate him , but if he will win all his matches again that may change

Allure
11-01-2006, 04:06 PM
I used to be a big fan of him when I started watching tennis in summer of '04. But now I don't really like him anymore (not sure if it's dislike) because of several reasons:

a) Finally realize his game is not that good. I used to be in awe of his 155 mph serve but now I see that's really all he has

b) Finally realize a lot of players are better than him. When first started out watching tennis, I thought Andy was the best in the world and no one could beat him.

Tennis Fool
11-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Does this question have to be asked every six months :(

I wish people would investigate the search option. :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
cos its Duck season :shrug:

cmurray
11-01-2006, 05:11 PM
When was the last time Roddick even had a thread in GM? His relatively poor play this year (at least until HC season) had him pretty well off people's radar. I like Andy well enough. He's a funny guy off the court - I'm always entertained listening to his interviews. On-court, I admit I find him a tad dull (as I do any tennis player who relies to heavily on his serve). He doesn't strike me as the punk he once was (I didn't like him when he first came on the scene. Well.....I liked watching him get creamed by ANdre, but that's about all). I usually cheer for him unless he's playing one of my other favorites.

blosson
11-01-2006, 05:53 PM
i dislike him because he plays boring. if i have a whole day free and have to choose only one player to watch, this won't be roddick for sure. i would probably fall asleep after 2 hrs. though, i've noticed that since he started working with jimmy connors, he tries to develop, goes more to the net and it's a little bit more interesting to watch him. still, i don't find anything special about his game which can make me like him.

I don't think Andy would let you sleep. He would make some noise by either throwing his toys due to a bad line call or joke around for the sake of it. I remember the Queens final in 2005 against Karlovic, he even made a joke about "how boring" that match was.

Fedever
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
The inevitable Butterfly Effect.

To answer blackgirltennis' original question:
I most certainly do not hate him. Heck, I don't even know him to hate him. I dislike the fact that he has been hyped over the past 3-4 years as the next great thing, while really, his still possesses the same 1-dimensional game, that relies on a powerful serve and forehand. To me, he over-achieved when he won the USO back in '03, and became #1. But ever since then, he has not IMPROVED much. He still lives off the old days when he was at his "prime" (which wasn't even THAT long), and is more word than action. His constant thrive for attention on the court is frustrating, and quite often makes me lose interest in his matches. And what he, and our gracious commentators here in the US will never realize/keep trying to deny, is that he will NEVER be a TRUE champion/, unless he changes his approach/mentality, and realizes that just because he was once at the top, doesn't give him a free pass into a Slam final or even the top-10. Another thing that REALLY gets to me is his obsession with Federer. Yes! He's always going on and on about how Federer has raised the par, and how it is difficult to keep track of his achievements. In A-Rod terms, "Well, DUH!!!"... He needs to do some serious work in the growing up department before attempting to become a better tennis player. HIS game has nothing to do with Federer. So I find his "obsession" a silly mental excuse he puts upon himself to make matters more difficut for him, and therefore escape the transition from a one-Slam wonder to a legit contender. Laziness, attention-seeking, lack of interest? I don't know, but what I do know is that those are enough reasons for me to feel repulsed by his game.

Good answer. This really sums it up. It is so annoying that for YEARS he has done nothing to try to improve his game! It is hard to have any respect for that!

tennisrocks123
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
ARROGANT--
when he actually breaks a players serve, he goes all crazy. Usually its off an opponent's error. He shouts, very ARROGANT

I remember seeing this somewhere, but perfect description:

UGLY TENNIS
BAD ATTITUDE
ONE DIMENSIONAL

* he over uses that horrible slice way too much. Ugly forehand and FH volley

Jlee
11-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Good answer. This really sums it up. It is so annoying that for YEARS he has done nothing to try to improve his game! It is hard to have any respect for that!

He hasn't tried to improve his game? Then why did he switch coaches several times in an effort to learn and to IMPROVE his game? Why is he working with Jimmy Conners? If he hadn't improved at all, I doubt he'd be having the worst year of his career and still be in the top 5-6. :)

And I am, of course, saying this completely objectively ;)

revolution
11-01-2006, 08:03 PM

Why is he coming to the net more now then and also hitting more winners off the BH side?

guy in sf
11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
I hate Roddick because I consider him to be the latest in a long tradition of very bratty, annoying, cocky and disrespectful American players (Connors, McEnroe, Turango, Agassi -only got humble after his career went down). What really bugs me about Roddick is his constant desire to outwit the press people when they ask him questions, at times he sounds very defensive and even bitchy, always trying to be too clever and never just happy to give a straight answer. Other than that, he's quite overrated as a player but that's mainly because of the publicity and press coverage he gets. Tennis magazine was still putting him on their covers so frequently even during his slumps and he's always getting endorsement deals win or lose.

DrJules
11-01-2006, 08:07 PM
In the last 4 years Federer, Nadal and Roddick have without question been the best players and when you are that good you attract a lot of hostility.

It is good to see him in the year end masters event. I doubt any of the other players will relish playing him.

partygirl
11-01-2006, 08:16 PM
:aparty:

~*BGT*~
11-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Does this question have to be asked every six months :(

I wish people would investigate the search option. :rolleyes:

I did... twice. The scren would freeze before the results came up. So I stopped.