How would you rate Tommy Haas's year??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How would you rate Tommy Haas's year???

supertommyhaas
11-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Just want honest objective opionions please!!! He has gone from number 46 to 13 so thats a fair achievement!!! But he has been Dissapointing in a lot of the big tournaments Toronto, Cincinatti, Miami, Madrid were he could have performed better!!! Is number 13 about par for Tommy Haas???? Am i being to harsh on him for thinking he should be around 8-10???

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Haas has done well in the MM events and not so well in the Slams, though he played a good match against Federer at the AO, in reality he was never winning that match.

Well he is a 20-30 player these days and there are many players that would love to win 3 titles in a season, but you are overrating his talents.

shotgun
11-01-2006, 03:36 AM
Very good season for Haas comparing with last year, even though he went AWOL during the clay and grass seasons.

He didn't went on to challenge Federer's kingdom as some people predicted after he beat him in Kooyong, but it was a good season nonetheless.

bpt7
11-01-2006, 03:41 AM
It was a pretty good season for him. Still wished he could've beaten Davydenko to reach the semis at the USO, but overall he did pretty well. I think it was his best season since he came back from the shoulder injury and it seems his new coach did a great job as well.

Tennis Fool
11-01-2006, 03:44 AM
A waste of time. Like all his other years on tour.

leng jai
11-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Pretty good year. Lost opportunities as usual.

aussie_fan
11-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Would of been interesting if he had of beaten davydenko to get to the semis. But apart from that it has been a solid year.

scarecrows
11-01-2006, 09:20 AM
better than expected

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Would of been interesting if he had of beaten davydenko to get to the semis. But apart from that it has been a solid year.

How? Only difference is the scoreline that Haas would have lost to Federer to.

leng jai
11-01-2006, 10:52 AM
He would of given Federer a better match than Davydenko did, although his physical condition would of been pretty bad so Roger could very well of steamrolled him. Regardless of what you say, Tommy has put up some good performances against Roger this year.

stebs
11-01-2006, 12:38 PM
He would of given Federer a better match than Davydenko did, although his physical condition would of been pretty bad so Roger could very well of steamrolled him. Regardless of what you say, Tommy has put up some good performances against Roger this year.

I don't know about that to be honest. I think at this moment in time on most surfaces Davydenko > Haas. He is a good player, I have no doubts about that but I don't think he has put up that great of a challange in his matchs with Roger. In AO he did really well and that was his best form of the year but although it was 5 sets Haas was never realistically going to win that match. Roger also beat him in easy straight sets in Doha and Miami. Haas took a TB in Halle where Roger scraped through.

leng jai
11-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Apparently that Halle much was very tough though, and it was on Grass where Federer is pretty much unbeatable. Matchups are funny things. I could NEVER see Davydenko beating Federer, cause his strengths are not something that is capable of beating Federer. Tommy has an all round game with a great backhand and on a very good day he could scrape a win against Roger.

sploush
11-01-2006, 01:27 PM
I would say this year was dissapointing because of the results in slams and Master series. Sure the 3 titles were nice, but any season when Haas doesnt reach any final of any the big tournaments would be a dissapointing year

canbera
11-01-2006, 02:26 PM
it was a good season for Tommy, but he had bigger goals than winning 3 International Series tournaments. He wants to do well at the Slams, obviously. He is an underrated Grass court player, and hopefully he can show that next year in Halle and Wimbledon.

Of course he had his chances against Davydenko at the US, but on the other hand he won 2 match tie break's in a row... what if he had lost in Round 3 against Ginepri?

In my opinion his two biggest losses this year were against Federer at the Australian, but more important at Wimbledon against Berdych. He really had his chancesthere, and could have done much better against Federer than Berdych in fact did.

alfonsojose
11-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I swear i read "How would you rate Tommy Haas's rear?"
10 :drool:

Katastrophe
11-01-2006, 04:34 PM
It was a mixed bag, I think. Haas runs hot and cold, just like his temperment. I saw some matches that he really could or should have won, but he is still fairly quick to get negative.

He's 28 now, I think? It will be interesting to see how he does in '07, especially in the slams. If he's got a big win in him somewhere, he's got to commit and make the move in a hurry. Time is not on his side....;)

Allstar
11-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Very good season for him. Shame he struggled with injuries as he was playing some brilliant tennis at the start of the year

fabolous
11-04-2006, 08:17 PM
now that it's official haas won't make the TMC, i feel able to rate his year.

once again, he played decent, but without a real highlight. slam and TMS performances were mediocre, clay season bad. he was in great shape at the beginning of the year (i made a thread where i predicted he could make the TMC ;)) but had some bad luck with draws (lost against fed in doha, aus open and miami) and so he was "only" able to win three mickey mouses. his inconsistency is well known, so no surprise he lost to guys like mahut, udomchoke or kunitsyin.

all in all, good season. not great because he didn't make TMC, not bad because he was much better than last year and had no serious injuries.

btw george, i always see haas' talent as borderline top10, not 20-30 :p

DrJules
11-04-2006, 08:25 PM
He will have better draws next year owing to his ranking and consequent seeding. Therefore, could enter the top 10 next year. Moving up the rankings can be difficult owing to encountering high ranked players in early rounds.

Ernham
11-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Year was a reflection of his entire career.

enqvistfan
11-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Good comeback for Tommy this year :) I hope he'll enter in the top 10 again in 2007

TommyB.
11-05-2006, 10:50 AM
It was a good season after 2005! 3 titles and top 20 again. But Tommy had some stupid results too.

It's a pity that he missed Shanghai this weekend. But it's always the same with his bad luck. :rolleyes:

canbera
11-05-2006, 03:42 PM
hopefully he can do better at the AO next year. one semifinal in Masters Series, one quarterfinal in Grand Slam... this can't be enough for Tommy, it was still a good year for him since his ranking went constantly up. Top 10 coming soon!

Dancing Hero
11-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Not too bad a year, won a few titles. He's just another player who makes up the numbers though unless he starts winning the matches he lost against guys like Djokovic, Berdych and Davydenko in the Slams. Lost a number of times to Federer, no disgrace, and Nadal but they're the top men and unless you can pull off the odd win against them, you're out.

Warrior
11-05-2006, 09:03 PM
B-