De Villiers aka "Mr Disney" in favor of bans to punish players missing top tournament [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

De Villiers aka "Mr Disney" in favor of bans to punish players missing top tournament

nobama
11-01-2006, 12:16 AM
They better not implement this policy until the calender has been overhauled. :(

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2644993
Updated: Oct. 31, 2006, 4:58 PM ET
ATP chief says tour will tighten up on withdrawals

PARIS -- ATP chairman Etienne De Villiers said he was in favor of bans to punish players missing top tournaments without a good excuse.

"We're going to tighten up on withdrawals," De Villiers said on Tuesday in the French capital, where he was attending the Paris Masters.

"At the moment players get too much flexibility. They take options on tournaments and then withdraw with no penalties. It's just not right for the fans and for the tournaments."

De Villiers's comments came a day after world No. 1 Roger Federer pulled out from the Paris event citing exhaustion. It left the tournament without five of the world's top six players.

The head of men's tennis did not blame Federer, who had to play a best-of-five-sets final to win the Swiss Indoors on Sunday, but said changes needed to be made to the structure of the calendar.

"There's no guy that's more dedicated and shows more sense of responsibility than Roger Federer," De Villiers told reporters. "I will never criticise him for anything but it is indicative of the players' level of exhaustion.

"There are too many back-to-back tournaments. It does seem crazy that Federer was playing a [best of] five sets final the weekend before he was due to play a Masters Series tournament."

A reformed calendar, which is scheduled to be introduced in 2009, was not the only option, De Villiers said.

The ATP chief said the showcase tournaments should be made more attractive with increased prize money and more ranking points to gain.

"We need focused fans, focused media and focused television on the tournaments that matter. It's a combination of how the calendar is structured, where the players get to play and when.

"We need to get these guys sufficiently motivated in terms of rewards, prize money and difference between bigger tournaments and the smaller ones in terms of points.

"That way you get players to focus on the number of tournaments they should be playing. We do need to get the top guys playing the top tournaments."

On the other hand, De Villiers said, there should be sanctions such as fines, points deductions and suspensions for unjustified withdrawals.

"The sanctions should be quite significant", he said.

"If you've made the Tour playable, if you've taken away back-to-backs, if you've given the top players more points relative to the other tournaments and 20 to 30 per cent more prize money, then I believe we can expect to have the corollary which is if you don't do that, then we're going to take things away from you -- money, points and your ability to play.

"We have to start considering suspensions."

Kalliopeia
11-01-2006, 12:28 AM
So he wants to impose bans and other punishments on them for pulling out of tournaments because they are tired, and at the same time implement round robin, which will mandate more matches per tournament?

Does this guy ever think about anything that comes out of his mouth? Ever?

Sunset of Age
11-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Oh dear. Add up this to that insane idea of introducing RR in tournaments and all I can conclude is that Mr. Disney rather wants to pester the players than to help them. :mad:

I've yet to hear about any player withdrawing with injury and/or fatigue because they enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Mr. Disney should get working on rescheduling the calendar first and foremost.

nobama
11-01-2006, 12:38 AM
If a player withdraws from an event due to injury how does the tour verify that the injury is legit and a "good reason" for withdrawing from the tournament? Make the player show up at the tournament and get checked out by a tournament doctor?

mangoes
11-01-2006, 12:39 AM
The timing of tournaments needs to be addressed first and foremost. After that, I am in favor of more steep penalities for players missing tournaments. But, how can players be banned if they play the final of Roma and are too tired to play Hamburg the following week??

I feel all of this is merely a "show" by Mr. Disney for the tournament directors.

If a player withdraws from an event due to injury how does the tour verify that the injury is legit and a "good reason" for withdrawing from the tournament? Make the player show up at the tournament and get checked out by a tournament doctor?

Has a tournament doctor ever called an injury not legit??

aussie12
11-01-2006, 12:41 AM
they really need to stop the whole back to back master series tournies if they want to stop all the players from withdrawing. the schedule is ridiculous.

MisterQ
11-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Roddick is the first of the top players to stage a protest outside Disney headquarters.

nobama
11-01-2006, 01:04 AM
The timing of tournaments needs to be addressed first and foremost. After that, I am in favor of more steep penalities for players missing tournaments. But, how can players be banned if they played the final of Roma and were too tired to play Hamburg the following week??

I feel all of this is merely a "show" by Mr. Disney for the tournament directors.

Has a tournament doctor ever called an injury not legit??I don't know. But of course if a player withdraws they're going to come up with something, injury, fatigue. How do they determine what's legit and what's not?

NicoFan
11-01-2006, 01:11 AM
As with all his ideas ... pure bs.

artlinkletter
11-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Roddick is the first of the top players to stage a protest outside Disney headquarters.

:haha::haha::haha: Seriously Q, where do you find these?

mangoes
11-01-2006, 01:24 AM
I don't know. But of course if a player withdraws they're going to come up with something, injury, fatigue. How do they determine what's legit and what's not?

Exactly.........they're not going to call a player a faker. That's why, I think all of this is a smoke screen to satisfy tournament officials.

ufokart
11-01-2006, 01:27 AM

Oh my god
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Q, that pic just says it all.

NYCtennisfan
11-01-2006, 01:30 AM

:haha:

:worship:

R.Federer
11-01-2006, 01:35 AM

:lol: :haha:
As I asked before, is there a Mrs. Q?

MisterQ
11-01-2006, 01:55 AM
:haha::haha::haha: Seriously Q, where do you find these?

Oh, it's in my dead Disney duck file.

:lol: :haha:
As I asked before, is there a Mrs. Q?

Ms. ;)

Q, that pic just says it all.

Unfortunately... yes, it kind of does.

cobalt60
11-01-2006, 02:44 AM
Leave it to you Q to make a serious topic funny. Thank you ;)

MilMilCho
11-01-2006, 02:56 AM
The schedule is just too tight, I wonder how he could come up that many stupid ideas. Of cuz players would get tired after playing so many tournaments, If they can play, they will play.

Fee
11-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Wait, let me get this straight...

The Tournament Directors are complaining that players are withdrawing from tournaments and disappointing the fans, so Mr Disney wants to punish players who withdraw from tournaments by... (wait for it)....

FORCING THEM TO WITHDRAW FROM TOURNAMENTS (by suspension).

Fucking brilliant. That must be why he gets the big bucks.

Lee
11-01-2006, 03:15 AM

The Tournament Directors are complaining that players are withdrawing from tournaments and disappointing the fans, so Mr Disney wants to punish players who withdraw from tournaments by... (wait for it)....

:haha: :haha: :haha:

There will be an armwrestling competition held in Las Vegas between tournament directors to decide who will get the players they wanted to play.
Fucking brilliant. That must be why he gets the big bucks

Jade Fox
11-01-2006, 07:54 AM

Fucking brilliant. That must be why he gets the big bucks.

Yes he is a genius. I mean with this idea, he can boost ticket sales, making him a profit, AND give the fans what they want, so they'll be happy!

I bow to the great wise Mr. Disney:worship: :rolleyes:.

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Yes he is a genius. I mean with this idea, he can boost ticket sales, making him a profit, AND give the fans what they want, so they'll be happy!

I bow to the great wise Mr. Disney:worship: :rolleyes:.

All hail Mr Disney.

Merton
11-02-2006, 04:00 AM
He should be more brave than that, declaring his intent on accomplishing more meaningful things, like eradicating world poverty and eliminating wars. Solving the global warming problem could be an additional topic for his free time.

Ernham
11-02-2006, 04:06 AM
Bans build character.