grips [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

grips

Fuego Frío
10-31-2006, 08:31 PM
just had a new lesson from anew coach and he gave me a new backhand grip in which is ok but not as strong as my normal
and a new serve grip which i cant even get over the net! but im sure itll cum with practice right?

simpletennis
11-02-2006, 06:25 AM
for sure, just practice with it, you have to get used to it and more comfortable before you can really hit well with the grips

Solat
11-02-2006, 11:35 PM
as a coach it should be said that you only should change someones grip if its going to help alot, something must be not ideal for a drastic change of grip.

I regards to the BH grip it needs to be changed to give you a stronger wrist position

I regards to the serve, i would hazard a guess that you are changing from a FH grip to a conti. Don't worry, everybody who ever played tennis has had difficulty with this grip change, but once you get it it helps your serve infinite. The conti grip allows for much better wrist flexion and better shoulder rotation (so long as the ball toss is adjusted to suit). It should also allow you to hit all 3 types of serve from the one grip.

but as the old saying goes...practice practice practice

tennisplayer89
01-19-2007, 08:50 PM
I would definitely say that the continental grip on your serve is probably a must. You need it to get power, spin, and place the ball effectively. With the continental grip you can hit any type of serve. Definitely stick with the continental even if you it hurts your game now. In the long run, it will improve your serve tremendously.