Food .. before and after a match [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Food .. before and after a match

alfonsojose
10-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Sometimes i feel really hungry while playing and even my head hurts a bit. I only ate a banana and some bagel before a match and nothing special after. Can anyone give me some tips?

novanora
11-01-2006, 01:20 PM
I will have some fruit instead of cakes, bread or bagels before playing, not only bananas but apples as well, coz I think fruits are better for your stomach. After playing, normally I don't feel hungry, so only drinking some milk and sports drink is enough for me.

JustmeUK
11-25-2006, 01:09 PM
no big meals up to 3 hours before a match. if I have an evening league match that kicks off at 6pm I try and get a snack (carbohydrate rich like bananas) 90 mins before I start. during the match I take a sweet drink to help replenish glucose supplies.

physics
11-28-2006, 02:22 AM
I think players should eat about three hours before playing. Nothing "heavy'' but yet enough to keep them energized during a match. A big meal is appropriate after a very intense playing session!

Angle Queen
11-30-2006, 02:31 AM
Maybe I'm older...but I gotta have that food before a match. Not so much with the starches (that's the meal before...or better yet, the night before) but the proteins and quick sugars (read...chocolate).

While that might work for one match, there's no substitute for eating a good diet all the time.

Blue Heart24
11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Hour and a half before the match something easy,and after, a real meal.

Hiromiku
12-09-2006, 05:54 PM
There's something magic about the banana.

lordmanji
12-09-2006, 09:17 PM
have a good sized meal 4 hours before the match, usually some sort of pasta for carbs and chicken for protein. also breads and fruits are a good choice. stay away from caffeine as it can leave you dehyrdated. snack again two hrs before match, keep yourself well hydrated. and remember to bring power bars and bananas to match.

i tried this myself and its much better than say, eating a burger combo. but i dunno for an infrequent tennis player i dont think it matters too much in terms of how much energy the meal gives you unless youre playing at the highest level.

tennisplayer89
01-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I prefer to have a nice big pasta meal the night before and a good meal a few hours before the match. As match time approaches, I eat maybe a granola bar and drink some water. After the match if it is the last one of the day, I eat a big meal to prepare me for tommorrow's matches.