Ugliest Strokes [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ugliest Strokes

Pages : [1] 2

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 05:04 PM
My vote goes to Robin Söderling. No one is even close to him. None of his strokes look even remotely okay. Every time I watch him play, I feel the urge to throw up.

amierin
10-31-2006, 05:11 PM
You obviously have never seen Blake or Roddick live. Ugliest games I've ever seen.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 05:13 PM
You obviously have never seen Blake or Roddick live. Ugliest games I've ever seen.

Actually, I saw Blake - Söderling live here at the Stockholm Open just a few weeks ago. ;) While Blake and Roddick both have rediculously ugly strokes, I have to put Söderling above them both. And I'd put Roddick above Blake in terms of stroke ugliness, by the way.

scarecrows
10-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Actually, I saw Blake - Söderling live here at the Stockholm Open just a few weeks ago. ;) While Blake and Roddick both have rediculously ugly strokes, I have to put Söderling above them both. And I'd put Roddick above Blake in terms of stroke ugliness, by the way.

:eek: I was there too

Blake doesnt have ugly strokes at all

neither does Soderling

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 05:18 PM
:eek: I was there too

Blake doesnt have ugly strokes at all

neither does Soderling

Ummm??? WHAT? If Söderling doesn't have ugly strokes, who does?

scarecrows
10-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Ummm??? WHAT? If Söderling doesn't have ugly strokes, who does?

all the extreme grip armada

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 05:23 PM

Well... True, but ugly in different ways. Söderling's follow-through is... I can't even explain it. It's just horrible.

silverwhite
10-31-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't like watching Volandri's strokes, especially his serve and FH :tape:

r2473
10-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Brad Gilbert

R.Federer
10-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Bersategui

scarecrows
10-31-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't like watching Volandri's strokes, especially his serve and FH :tape:

Volandri's FH >>>>> Sanguinetti's FH

for the serve you are right, although he's been improving it a little

mandoura
10-31-2006, 05:34 PM
For me, it's Monfils. His strokes are very brutal.

Fumus
Goran's fh.

Katastrophe
Brad Gilbert

Not much about BG is all that pretty- too funny...:lol:

Pea
10-31-2006, 05:46 PM
rodduck's backhand and volleys :lol:

zine56
10-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Stepanek FH

sanpo
10-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Monfil's face

sanpo
10-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Watching Soderling-Safin right now, SOderling's BH looks pretty normal

though I can see the weird followthrough in his FH if that's what you're talking about

zine56
10-31-2006, 06:07 PM
wait until you see Soderling trying to make a Dropshot... it's hilarious :lol:

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Watching Soderling-Safin right now, SOderling's BH looks pretty normal

though I can see the weird followthrough in his FH if that's what you're talking about

Yeah, it's his forehand especially, but the backhand is ugly and jerky too. It's not as bad as Roddick's backhand, but it's still pretty bad. That forehand though... Breathtakingly ugly.

alfonsojose
10-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Nadal's groundies :scared:
Roddick's volleys :tears:
Volandri's serve :help:

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Soderling is classy near Nadal.

Other awful strokes belong to: Roddick, Berlocq... too many in fact.

Rogiman
10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Nadal

Any tennis coach would bang his head against the wall watching his whacko technique :o

Mind you, it's pretty efficient as it is.

Ernham
10-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Anything roddick does, anything Nadal does, most of the things blake does, anything safin does with two hands, soderling's forehand 50% of the time. All 100% ugly.

Peoples
10-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Completely agree - it's Söderling. Florian Mayer is a good candidate also. As well as guys who hit it hard, flat but with poor technique: J.Johanson, Karlovic, Norman etc. From lower level players it has to be Coria - weird forehand and ugliest strokes I've ever seen among any top 20 players at least.

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Safin's two-handed backhand is one of the most beautiful of its kind. Some people here know nothing about the game.

willrock
10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Stepanek FH + Marach's BH + Davydenko Serve + Roddick's volleys = :unsure: the weirdest player ever

cmurray
10-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Safin's two-handed backhand is one of the most beautiful of its kind. Some people here know nothing about the game.

Good thing you're here to shape us up. :D

Pim Pim has horrible looking groundstrokes. Are we allowed to count Dementieva's serve?

Ernham
10-31-2006, 06:50 PM

Nope. Almost every time he does anything two handed it looks like he pulls in tight like he is Steve Irwin wrestling a crocodile.

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Nope. Almost every time he does anything two handed it looks like he pulls in tight like he is Steve Irwin wrestling a crocodile.

His movement is fluid, natural. Stop embarassing yourself.

alfonsojose
10-31-2006, 06:59 PM

Are u talking about groundies or are u just another traumatized groupie?

Ernham
10-31-2006, 07:06 PM
His movement is fluid, natural. Stop embarassing yourself.

Fluid and natural for somone with parkinson's disease. Sure are some rabbid Safin fans around here, eh?

RonE
10-31-2006, 07:19 PM
I have never seen Gilbert play but from the players I have seen Jim Courier tops that list. His whole movement and stroke production had an annoying neurotic edge to it.

The service motion was one of the weirdest I have ever seen, it seems as if the racquet arm barely comes around over the shoulder he just sticks it up and blasts the serve.

Forehand felt as if he was trying to swat a mosquito away rather than hit a tennis ball. :o

His two fisted backhand was plain awful- he almost never hit DTL shots off that wing and his crosscourt backhand was pretty pathetic. Also when he set up to hit it, his racquet was always shaking up and down in his hands- like a 90 year old man with arthritis trying to hold a cup and saucer. :tape:

His backhand slice- he just chipped down on it with no follow through as if he was using a guilliotine. The stroke itself wasn't too effective either. Same went for the backhand volley. Forehand volley was non-existant.

In short, everything about Jim's game made the hairs on the back of your neck stand.

lordmanji
10-31-2006, 07:21 PM
club players =/

why not give us some pictures and information on their backhand/forehands? such as grips and analysis why it's not effective? i can hear about it being ugly all day but without aids, its impossible to understand that its not more than a subjective opinion.

Ernham
10-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Becker's pre-serve motions were also very strange. I called him "the twitch".

RonE
10-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Becker's pre-serve motions were also very strange. I called him "the twitch".

Yes and the older he got the more exaggerated they became. The stroke itself was also highly unconventional as he hit his serve with a forehandf grip instead of a continental. Coaches all over the world at the time have told their pupils "don't try this at home, kids".

Speaking of ugly service motions, back in the 90's Jonas Bjorkman had a horrible service motion, where he would put the hand with the ball and the racquet hand opposite each other almost as if he were rubbing the air between them, and then take them apart a huge distance one from the other. His movement nowadays is a lot less exaggeratted but back then it was just :tape:

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Fluid and natural for somone with parkinson's disease. Sure are some rabbid Safin fans around here, eh?

No. Tell me then who has a good 2-handed backhand for you?

Ernham
10-31-2006, 08:14 PM
No. Tell me then who has a good 2-handed backhand for you?

Nalbandian.

Peoples
10-31-2006, 08:17 PM
It's a stupid argument. Safin has very good technique on all shots and shouldn't be mentioned in this thread. Anyone would say that.

Jlee
10-31-2006, 08:20 PM
It's a stupid argument. Safin has very good technique on all shots and shouldn't be mentioned in this thread. Anyone would say that.

I agree. Marat's technique is the least of his problems. :lol:

Ernham
10-31-2006, 08:20 PM

Not I. All of his 2-handers i recall seeing looked very clumsy. Then again, I don't spend a ton of time noticing who's strokes are the best looking/smoothest/etc. unless it's an outstanding feature of their game, good or bad.

Peoples
10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Not I. All of his 2-handers i recall seeing looked very clumsy. Then again, I don't spend a ton of time noticing who's strokes are the best looking/smoothest/etc. unless it's an outstanding feature of their game, good or bad.
Safin is a big guy and sometimes gets his footwork wrong, this is why he can seem clumsy. I would say Safin's backhand is top 5 of all backhands on tour for its great technique and I think most people would agree.

+alonso
10-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Roddick serve

Effka
10-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Flo Mayer owns this thread.

jole
10-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Dick Norman, Ivo Karlovic, Dirk Dier, Gilles Muller (kinda), Vicente, Arthurs, and Rusedski.

Jim Courier
10-31-2006, 09:09 PM
I have never seen Gilbert play but from the players I have seen Jim Courier tops that list. His whole movement and stroke production had an annoying neurotic edge to it.

The service motion was one of the weirdest I have ever seen, it seems as if the racquet arm barely comes around over the shoulder he just sticks it up and blasts the serve.

Forehand felt as if he was trying to swat a mosquito away rather than hit a tennis ball. :o

His two fisted backhand was plain awful- he almost never hit DTL shots off that wing and his crosscourt backhand was pretty pathetic. Also when he set up to hit it, his racquet was always shaking up and down in his hands- like a 90 year old man with arthritis trying to hold a cup and saucer. :tape:

His backhand slice- he just chipped down on it with no follow through as if he was using a guilliotine. The stroke itself wasn't too effective either. Same went for the backhand volley. Forehand volley was non-existant.

In short, everything about Jim's game made the hairs on the back of your neck stand.
:lol:
Got to agree about the backhand though, plus it was often short.
I loved the Courier forehand, in fact it is one of my favourites. Especially when he went around his backhand, you knew his opponent was in for some pounding. The serve looked mean too, very simple but effective.
You're not entirely fair about his volleys either, he had some brilliant ones even if he certainly was no Edberg. I even remember a few great high backhand volleys.

As for the ugliest, maybe Santoro? His two-handed forehand looks so wimpy..

Deathless Mortal
10-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Ivo Karlovic. Only thing he is doing well is his serve, and he is doing it very well. But everything else... He sucks!

MariaV
10-31-2006, 09:12 PM

OK you're officially a :retard: for me, sorry.

MariaV
10-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Safin is a big guy and sometimes gets his footwork wrong, this is why he can seem clumsy. I would say Safin's backhand is top 5 of all backhands on tour for its great technique and I think most people would agree.

At least you understand some tennis. Marat gets tired - his footwork gets sloppy. There you can see he's not concentrated any more.

madmanfool
10-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Schalken's serve, the most ugliest thing i have ever seen :)
And Bjorkman's forehand isn't exactly a beauty either.

wimbledonfan
10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
I think Federer has the ugliest strokes .

madmanfool
10-31-2006, 09:27 PM
...and Sluiter, how could i forget him :p

Ernham
10-31-2006, 09:30 PM

He does have some ugly strokes. his backhamd sure won't win any awards and his forehand as deadly as it is, looks pretty rough. It's strange that often the ugliest ends up being the best, though I suspect this has more to do with players than technique. Could you imagine Federer with Nalbandian's backhand? Can you say bagel-fest? Roddick's server is also ugly as hell but an incredible part of his otherwise limited arsenal.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 09:40 PM
He does have some ugly strokes. his backhamd sure won't win any awards and his forehand as deadly as it is, looks pretty rough. It's strange that often the ugliest ends up being the best, though I suspect this has more to do with players than technique. Could you imagine Federer with Nalbandian's backhand? Can you say bagel-fest? Roddick's server is also ugly as hell but an incredible part of his otherwise limited arsenal.

Federer's forehand ugly?`HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! Yyyyyyyyeah! :wavey:

madmanfool
10-31-2006, 09:44 PM
It's though to compare a double handed backhand with a one handed backhand, i think. Anyway, i would count out Federer's slice that easily, it's a thing of beauty to me.

Ernham
10-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Federer's forehand ugly?`HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! Yyyyyyyyeah! :wavey:

It's not completely ugly. It's little rough looking. Same with his backhand, which comes in a good looking "slice" form and not so great looking form.

and we are talking about the STROKES, not the shot.

Howard
10-31-2006, 10:01 PM
I don’t know about the ugliest strokes, but McEnroe certainly has the most unique strokes of anyone I’ve ever seen.

suus21
10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Karsten Braasch serve

lordmanji
10-31-2006, 10:08 PM
It's not completely ugly. It's little rough looking. Same with his backhand, which comes in a good looking "slice" form and not so great looking form.

if federer doesn't have pretty strokes then who on this earth does? the commentators frequently comment on how beautiful his game is, how solid his technique is even throwing in such superlatives as "perfect." without too much backswing he can create unbelievable pace unlike nearly all the loopy claycourter-extreme western grips out there. his eyes are on the ball, his footwork impeccably setup. his finish on his fh is across his chest and more and more pros are/have been doing that. how is it rough?

Howard
10-31-2006, 10:13 PM
if federer doesn't have pretty strokes then who on this earth does? the commentators frequently comment on how beautiful his game is, how solid his technique is even throwing in such superlatives as "perfect." without too much backswing he can create unbelievable pace unlike nearly all the loopy claycourter-extreme western grips out there. his eyes are on the ball, his footwork impeccably setup. his finish on his fh is across his chest and more and more pros are/have been doing that. how is it rough?I agree, but pretty and ugly are just too subjective to even debate. One thing for sure though, Federer is one of the best movers I've ever seen on a tennis court.

Ernham
10-31-2006, 10:20 PM
if federer doesn't have pretty strokes then who on this earth does? the commentators frequently comment on how beautiful his game is, how solid his technique is even throwing in such superlatives as "perfect." without too much backswing he can create unbelievable pace unlike nearly all the loopy claycourter-extreme western grips out there. his eyes are on the ball, his footwork impeccably setup. his finish on his fh is across his chest and more and more pros are/have been doing that. how is it rough?

They are talking about his shots. Federer makes shot that you just can't believe are possible, sometimes in the most unlikely scenarios. My opinion is that Federer is someone that was ridiculously gifted as far as tennis talent but actually doesn't/hasn't use his full potential because he wasn't trained very well. With his reflexes and hand eye coordination, there is no excuse for him not to have learned the 2 handed backhand as a kid. I kid you not that Federer would rewrite every record book several times over if he had been.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 10:28 PM

My sentiment exactly.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 10:30 PM
They are talking about his shots. Federer makes shot that you just can't believe are possible, sometimes in the most unlikely scenarios. My opinion is that Federer is someone that was ridiculously gifted as far as tennis talent but actually doesn't/hasn't use his full potential because he wasn't trained very well. With his reflexes and hand eye coordination, there is no excuse for him not to have learned the 2 handed backhand as a kid. I kid you not that Federer would rewrite every record book several times over if he had been.

Okay, this deserves an own thread that I'm gonna start now, but are you kidding? The two-handed backhand sucks! The one-hander is obviously much harder to master and perfect, but it has so much more potential, it's not even comparable.

Howard
10-31-2006, 10:31 PM
They are talking about his shots. Federer makes shot that you just can't believe are possible, sometimes in the most unlikely scenarios. My opinion is that Federer is someone that was ridiculously gifted as far as tennis talent but actually doesn't/hasn't use his full potential because he wasn't trained very well. With his reflexes and hand eye coordination, there is no excuse for him not to have learned the 2 handed backhand as a kid. I kid you not that Federer would rewrite every record book several times over if he had been.Since he’s in the process of doing just that, I can’t see where his talent is wasted, Also, I’m not convinced that the two-handed backhand is better overall. What you gain in control and power you lose in reach and versatility.

lordmanji
10-31-2006, 10:33 PM

the disadvantage of the twohander is obviously less reach in exchange for more power. i think its a very bold statement to say that he would rewrite the record books with a twohander since it is with the one hander in which he is currently breaking said records. isnt 9 slams and at least 10 titles per year, complete dominance for four years more than enough to say that federer's one hander is just fine?

i think fed's backhand is underrated by many. it's become quite consistent over the years. roger himself said he's getting great practice since his opponents keep hitting to it. and andre said roger was the greatest he's ever played. that versus sampras who had a weakness in that you could attack his backhand, you "had no where to go" against roger. ive seen him hit plenty outright winners down the line (many times on the run) as well as cross court and inside out. he still has trouble on high topspin shots but with each match between him and nadal, its getting better and better. with other opponents, id argue its not a weakness anymore but a weapon.

he also has a nasty backhand slice that he's hit for plenty of winners off returns dropping it near the net and as a defensive shot that can let him get back in the point.

lordmanji
10-31-2006, 10:38 PM
My sentiment exactly.

and let me add that roger can stand closer to the baseline and dictate play rather than say a fernando gonzales who stands 8 ft behind because he needs to give himself an extra second to complete his backswing. watch their match at basel and you'll see roger standing in the middle of the court yo-yoing fernie around.

NyGeL
10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
J Mac... he looks like a retard playing tennis, but he is still great :)

also Nadal is very strange.

NyGeL
10-31-2006, 10:44 PM

omfg... no comments.

:cuckoo:

Ernham
10-31-2006, 10:46 PM
omfg... no comments.

I forget more about tennis in a couple minutes than you will learn in your entire lifetime.

Ernham
10-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Okay, this deserves an own thread that I'm gonna start now, but are you kidding? The two-handed backhand sucks! The one-hander is obviously much harder to master and perfect, but it has so much more potential, it's not even comparable.

I'm waiting....... the two-handed backhand does not suck at all. It's the reason "fatboy" connors is "the bagel king" and its the reason "fatboy" nalbandian with little else in the way of tennis skills/genetics can manage to get ranked in the top 3.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 10:53 PM
the disadvantage of the twohander is obviously less reach in exchange for more power.

A two-hander being more powerful is a misconcepteion, albeit a very common one (unfortunately). Studying the physics and body mechanics involved in both strokes shows that it's actually the other way around. Please refer to my backhand thread for more on this subject. :D

Ernham
10-31-2006, 11:04 PM
A two-hander being more powerful is a misconcepteion, albeit a very common one (unfortunately). Studying the physics and body mechanics involved in both strokes shows that it's actually the other way around. Please refer to my backhand thread for more on this subject. :D

You don't know what the hell you are talking about in the other thread, or this one for that matter. The two-handed backhand is far more powerful than one-handed. I don't know where you get this stupid nonsense, Yes, you are right, the "lever" is longer, meaning more "torque" can be produced; however, a two handed backhand uses FAR MORE MUSCLES.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 11:09 PM
You don't know what the hell you are talking about in the other thread, or this one for that matter. The two-handed backhand is far more powerful than one-handed. I don't know where you get this stupid nonsense, Yes, you are right, the "lever" is longer, meaning more "torque" can be produced; however, a two handed backhand uses FAR MORE MUSCLES.

Yes, but they are all smaller and weaker than the muscles generating the speed on a one-hander, so that isn't relevant. The player with the most powerful backhands always have one-handed bachands. Lendl back in his era. Kuerten. Gaudio. Is this a coincidence?

Ernham
10-31-2006, 11:16 PM
The player with the most powerful backhands always have one-handed bachands. Lendl back in his era. Kuerten. Gaudio. Is this a coincidence?

:D You've never played a day of tennis your entire life, have you? LOLLOOLOL

If Federer had a connors/nalbanian/agassi backhand he could knock down the line and follow that up with his amazing forehand, people would not even bother to show up at tournaments with him in them.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 11:27 PM
:D You've never played a day of tennis your entire life, have you? LOLLOOLOL

If Federer had a connors/nalbanian/agassi backhand he could knock down the line and follow that up with his amazing forehand, people would not even bother to show up at tournaments with him in them.

I was one of the top 20 juniors in Stockholm when I was 12, actually, so "LOLLOOLOL" right back at you. I have to admit, with regret, that I used a two-hander back then, simply because most coaches here act as if nothing else exists. If Federer had a Kuerten backhand, he could do what you're describing even better. Federer has a relatively weak backhand drive. It has nothing to do with it being one-handed. Roddick, who has a two-handed backhand, cannot do what you're describing, now can he? See my point? With your reasoning, you should be an advocate of the two-handed forehand too. Raemon Sluiter, anyone? Hahahahahah. Seriously though, you do realize that the chest muscles responsible for accelerating the one-hander are much more powerful than the small back muscles responsible for accelerating the two-hander, right?

Ernham
10-31-2006, 11:41 PM
There is a very good reason all the coaches there teach the two-handed backhand. Heh. That's not an accident. And no, it's not easier to learn. Some players are just more comfortable using one over the other. The two-hander does come more naturally to a lot of people because they played games prior to tennis using a similar approach(baseball, cricket, etc.).

Ernham
10-31-2006, 11:51 PM
In any event. There are three things advantageous to a one handed backhand.
1. Spin is easier to put on the ball.
2. You can more easily hide the angle/spin you are about to hit the ball with from your opponent.
3. You get a tiny bit more reach.

Advantage 2 can easily be fixed for the two-hander. You can train your approach to "fool" people on what you are about to do, and you can actually use that to your advantage! Not at the pro level because you play the same people and they see you on video, but nonetheless, that's a "negative turn positive" --- IF you get trained properly.

Advantage 3 never really materlizes because if you over extended to the point where another 2-3 inches of reach would have mattered, then you weren't really going to do a full swing, you were going volley/ "bunt" the ball back across the net because you opponent overextended you with a shot, meaning you wouldn't have been utlizing two hands to begin with.

It all comes down to spin, really. And a little bit of spin is not worth it in todays power-filled game. you gain far, far more by going two-handed.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 11:53 PM
There is a very good reason all the coaches there teach the two-handed backhand. Heh. That's not an accident. And no, it's not easier to learn. Some players are just more comfortable using one over the other. The two-hander does come more naturally to a lot of people because they played games prior to tennis using a similar approach(baseball, cricket, etc.).

Yeah. That reason is that it's much easier to teach kids a two-hander, because hitting a one-hander requires a much stronger wrist and five-year-olds usually don't have very strong wrists, now do they? It's not easier to learn. It's MUCH easier to learn. Baseball and cricket are non-existent in Sweden, so that wouldn't be a reason at all. It's simply because it's much less physically demanding. Getting to a descent two-hander is easier than getting to a descent one hander. The potential of the one-hander, however, is higher.

Ernham
10-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah. That reason is that it's much easier to teach kids a two-hander, because hitting a one-hander requires a much stronger wrist and five-year-olds usually don't have very strong wrists, now do they? It's not easier to learn. It's MUCH easier to learn. Baseball and cricket are non-existent in Sweden, so that wouldn't be a reason at all. It's simply because it's much less physically demanding. Getting to a descent two-hander is easier than getting to a descent one hander. The potential of the one-hander, however, is higher.

When you read the above, keep in mind this genius thinks that you get more power from a one-handed backhand than with a two handed one. Just because roger uses a god damn one-handed backhand does not mean it's better. The fact that his backhand is constantly being exploited by his opponents should tip you off at the stupidty of that.

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Karsten Braasch serve

Blasphemy.

KaxMisha
11-01-2006, 12:04 AM
In any event. There are three things advantageous to a one handed backhand.
1. Spin is easier to put on the ball.
2. You can more easily hide the angle/spin you are about to hit the ball with from your opponent.
3. You get a tiny bit more reach.

Advantage 2 can easily be fixed for the two-hander. You can train your approach to "fool" people on what you are about to do, and you can actually use that to your advantage! Not at the pro level because you play the same people and they see you on video, but nonetheless, that's a "negative turn positive" --- IF you get trained properly.

Advantage 3 never really materlizes because if you over extended to the point where another 2-3 inches of reach would have mattered, then you weren't really going to do a full swing, you were going volley/ "bunt" the ball back across the net because you opponent overextended you with a shot, meaning you wouldn't have been utlizing two hands to begin with.

It all comes down to spin, really. And a little bit of spin is not worth it in todays power-filled game. you gain far, far more by going two-handed.

Riiiiiiiiight! That's why both physics and body mechanics point to one-handers being more powerful and the players with the most powerful backhands use one-handers. Got it! Makes perfect sense! :yeah:

KaxMisha
11-01-2006, 12:07 AM
When you read the above, keep in mind this genius thinks that you get more power from a one-handed backhand than with a two handed one. Just because roger uses a god damn one-handed backhand does not mean it's better. The fact that his backhand is constantly being exploited by his opponents should tip you off at the stupidty of that.

Please don't drag me down to your level. I don't give a shit about Roger. I said myself that he has a relatively weak backhand drive. I would never use as an argument that a stroke is better than another by looking at a player. You are the one who offer players with good two-handers as proof that two-handers are better. I analyze the physics and body mechanics behind the strokes. If you are to drag players into this, why not take Kuerten? Who with a two-hander has a backhand that matches his? Nalbandian? Hahahahaha!

GlennMirnyi
11-01-2006, 12:50 AM
omfg... no comments.

He's insane and completely clueless about tennis.

GlennMirnyi
11-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Please don't drag me down to your level. I don't give a shit about Roger. I said myself that he has a relatively weak backhand drive. I would never use as an argument that a stroke is better than another by looking at a player. You are the one who offer players with good two-handers as proof that two-handers are better. I analyze the physics and body mechanics behind the strokes. If you are to drag players into this, why not take Kuerten? Who with a two-hander has a backhand that matches his? Nalbandian? Hahahahaha!

For the love of god, let him talk to himself, he has no clue about tennis.

Ernham
11-01-2006, 01:09 AM
I analyze the physics and body mechanics behind the strokes. If you are to drag players into this, why not take Kuerten? Who with a two-hander has a backhand that matches his? Nalbandian? Hahahahaha!

We can talk about him all day. What is there to say? He was a clay court monkey. The power of his backhand wasn't a factor in his game because he made his name on the clay, where you get a "poor return" on your power investment with every stroke. Two handed advantages are not nearly as pronounced there, though they are still there, they will be overshadowed by stamina and footwork.

GlennMirnyi
11-01-2006, 01:12 AM
We can talk about him all day. What is there to say? He was a clay court monkey. The power of his backhand wasn't a factor in his game because he made his name on the clay, where you get a "poor return" on your power investment with every stroke. Two handed advantages are not nearly as pronounced there, though they are still there, they will be overshadowed by stamina and footwork.

Clay court monkey??? Are you an imbecile or what? Tell me the last player to beat Sampras an Agassi in SF and F? ON HARD?

Ernham
11-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Clay court monkey??? Are you an imbecile or what? Tell me the last player to beat Sampras an Agassi in SF and F? ON HARD?

Ya, he was a clay court monkey. how many slams he win off the clay(zero)? How many slams he get into the finals off the clay (zero), how many slams off the clay did he get in the semifinals(zero). Noticing a pattern here? And your example is stupid. Who was the last person to beat Federer? Means NOTHING.

GlennMirnyi
11-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Ya, he was a clay court monkey. how many slams he win off the clay(zero)? How many slams he get into the finals off the clay (zero), how many slams off the clay did he get in the semifinals(zero). Noticing a pattern here? And your example is stupid. Who was the last person to beat Federer?

Maybe he is one of the top 10 players in consecutive weeks as number 1?
TMC champion NOT ON CLAY. Against Sampras and Agassi. NOT ON CLAY.

GS are not everything, ultra tennis player. :rolleyes: :lol:

tripb19
11-01-2006, 01:26 AM
Philopoussis' everything.

Ernham
11-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Maybe he is one of the top 10 players in consecutive weeks as number 1?
TMC champion NOT ON CLAY. Against Sampras and Agassi. NOT ON CLAY.

GS are not everything, ultra tennis player. :rolleyes: :lol:

Huh? He won a single masters title off the clay. ONE. wow. You are right. He wasn't a one-surface player at all.

GlennMirnyi
11-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Huh? He won a single masters title off the clay. ONE. wow. You are right. He wasn't a one-surface player at all.

One?
Ever heard about Cincinatti, big boy?
TMC is more than a MS title, ultra intelligent boy. :rolleyes:

Ernham
11-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Why is "claycourt monkey" and the idea that one can only perform well on one surface supposed to be some derogatory, insulting thing? Of course the greatest players excel on all surfaces, but do we similary insult players who can only produce results on hardcourts and nothing else?

When you are trying to use something regarding that player and extrapolate it to all of tennis, yes. Slapping someone into reality is needed.

Ernham
11-01-2006, 01:35 AM
One?
Ever heard about Cincinatti, big boy?
TMC is more than a MS title, ultra intelligent boy. :rolleyes:

That's the only one I counted. Didn't count masters cup. No idea what the environment was like there.

NYCtennisfan
11-01-2006, 02:39 AM
This thread is about the way strokes look, right?

If so, how can anyone say that the Safin two-hander is ugly? Putting all questions about effectiveness aside, just look at that thing in slow-motion and it almost looks like a left-handed FH it flows so smoothly through the hitting zone.

Federer's BH may not be as effective as some other players' BH's, but the form is pretty as he hits through the contact zone.

leng jai
11-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Federer's backhand is far from pretty compared to other single handers on tour. Funnily enough I don't find Gasquet's backhand all that good looking. Federer's forehand however is a thing of beauty, and his low volleys are very elegant. I really fail to see how you can say Safin's backhand is ugly. I also like the look of Tommy's service action, and his backhand is nice looking too.

Voo de Mar
11-01-2006, 03:35 AM
Bjorkman has an awful forehand for me, Rusedski backhand, Roddick forehand's volley, Schalken serve...

Neumann
11-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Poor Feliciano :sad: He has fallen out of grace in MTF.

One or two years ago he would have pwned this thread...

ServeAlready81
11-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Florian Mayer, that's just plain ugly...everything..serve, backhand, forehand.
Roddick's backhand :tape:
Steffi Graf's forehand, I know that's women's tennis but still :tape:
Djokovic's forehand, very effective but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly
Robin Soderling, his strokes are okay...but his vollies are terrible. Doesn't make sense for someone with that big a serve to have sh*tty vollies.
Mardy Fish's forehand, I don't know why but it really bother's me when I see him hit it. His backhand is flawless though.

World Beater
11-01-2006, 05:09 AM

if this weren't such a subjective topic, i would be the first to call you the biggest :retard: on mtf.

of course only ernham can live up to your excellence...both of you are truly special.:)

not even rfk or adeegee could ever live up to your excellence

njnetswill
11-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Good thing you're here to shape us up. :D

Pim Pim has horrible looking groundstrokes. Are we allowed to count Dementieva's serve?

Dementieva's motion is not that bad now. Bartoli is another matter...

For the men, I think Santoro's shots are really weird looking, but incredibly cool at the same time. :p

wimbledonfan
11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
WorldBeater , I made that response waiting for your reply and it worked !!

Do you really think Federer has ugly strokes ? I don't

DrJules
11-01-2006, 06:53 PM
A lot of the Spanish players. Their grips are too extreme and hit across the ball rather than through the ball.

Ernham
11-01-2006, 07:00 PM
if this weren't such a subjective topic, i would be the first to call you the biggest :retard: on mtf.

of course only ernham can live up to your excellence...both of you are truly special.:)

not even rfk or adeegee could ever live up to your excellence

Very special, comparatively. I even understand that an elipse is not a valid punctuation mark and how to properly capitalize words. :eek:

yonexforever
11-01-2006, 07:11 PM

AMEN TO THAT!

Peoples
11-01-2006, 07:24 PM
:haha: Nice bid for the arse clown competition :haha: Says that Safin's backhand sucks and Federer's technique is "rough" in the same thread :lol:

Ernham
11-01-2006, 07:29 PM
:haha: Nice bid for the arse clown competition :haha: Says that Safin's backhand sucks and Federer's technique is "rough" in the same thread :lol:

Love the dumb asses around here that can't seem to read simple sentences. As i said, he has a nice looking slice, a not-so-great-looking regular backhand. His forehand is similar. He has a nice looking, fully extended version and an uglier "snap" version. All I said is that he had some rough shots someone could easily argue were "ugly".

Safin has a habbit of hitting his two-handed shots without being fully extended and of having sub-par footwork, both of which lead to ugly looking "rushed" shots.

You don't like the truth, you can kiss my ass. You probably know dick squat about tennis that patrick "moron" mcenroe or some other talking-head idiot didn't tell you.

World Beater
11-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Very special, comparatively. I even understand that an elipse is not a valid punctuation mark and how to properly capitalize words. :eek:

no tennis arguments that you need to attack my grammar, now eh? how weak. a tennis forum, the last place i would be concerned about my grammar.

World Beater
11-01-2006, 09:33 PM
WorldBeater , I made that response waiting for your reply and it worked !!

Do you really think Federer has ugly strokes ? I don't

like i said its a subjective topic...its funny to see how my post has such an impact on your life :lol:

Arnold Fitzgeral
11-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Ferrer; he looks like he is swinging a "for sale" sign. Very awkward on the eye. Also I think Soderling, he looks physically challenged.

jazar
11-06-2006, 07:11 PM
federer has majestic strokes. like picasso creating a masterpiece. roddick has unconventional, staccato shots. like jackson pollock lobbing a load of paint on a canvas. and soderlings shots are just...idk... huge swings that are not aesthetically pleasing at all

NYCtennisfan
11-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Love the dumb asses around here that can't seem to read simple sentences. As i said, he has a nice looking slice, a not-so-great-looking regular backhand. His forehand is similar. He has a nice looking, fully extended version and an uglier "snap" version. All I said is that he had some rough shots someone could easily argue were "ugly".

Safin has a habbit of hitting his two-handed shots without being fully extended and of having sub-par footwork, both of which lead to ugly looking "rushed" shots.

You don't like the truth, you can kiss my ass. You probably know dick squat about tennis that patrick "moron" mcenroe or some other talking-head idiot didn't tell you.

See you in the ass-clown competition next year (unless you are banned of course). :wavey:

Beforehand
11-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Can we nominate women, because I have nightmares about Patty Schnyder's forehand?

jazar
11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
that's quite a weird nightmare ;)

sorrowman
11-06-2006, 09:38 PM
I really hate James Blake strokes , especially his backhand , its so ungly...:rolleyes:

jazar
11-07-2006, 06:40 AM
i don't think blakes strokes are that ugly, they are just very compact

chammer44
05-28-2009, 04:13 AM
Serve, volley, forehand, backhand....

Name the players with the ugliest looking shots(that is to say up until the point when the racquet makes contact with the ball) you've ever seen. Or simply those shots with notable ugliness.

I was watching a clip some time ago of connors borg, and I could not for the life of me determine which was worse, Borg's backhand or Connors's forhand.

Mcenroe backhand is also damn ugly.

leng jai
05-28-2009, 04:15 AM
Murray's face. lol.

LinkMage
05-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Nadull's FH.

Makes me want to puke.

chowdahead25
05-28-2009, 05:05 AM
Del Potros everything. Just looks weird.

10K Futures Qualifier
05-28-2009, 05:10 AM
James Blake's but.

GlennMirnyi
05-28-2009, 05:18 AM
All shots Nadull does. They're pathetic.

Del Pony's strokes too.

Murray's forehand.

Faker's everything.

Andreev's everything too.

~*BGT*~
05-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Murray's everything. Never in doubt for me.

GlennMirnyi
05-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Murray's everything. Never in doubt for me.

Gotta say it's funny to read that from a Roddicktard.

CmonAussie
05-28-2009, 05:26 AM
~~~
Edberg`s forehand..
Borg`s backhand..
McEnroe`s forehand..
Gonzalez`s backhand..
Hewitt`s serve..
Rafter`s forehand..
Ivanisavic`s total game..
Karlovic`s total game..
Coria`s attitude..
Roddick`s forehand windup..
Sampras`s tongue..

Venle
05-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Murray's serve
Karlovic's topspin backhand (he never uses it anyway)
And some other random serves that just look weird.

FlameOn
05-28-2009, 12:16 PM
To be honest I've never thought too much about who had ugly strokes or not.

One player that stands out is Ljubicic. For some reason his service motion and forehand look, I dunno, feminine to me. :shrug:

Burrow
05-28-2009, 12:39 PM
James Blake's but.

but what?

Burrow
05-28-2009, 12:41 PM
~~~
Edberg`s forehand..
Borg`s backhand..
McEnroe`s forehand..
Gonzalez`s backhand..
Hewitt`s serve..
Rafter`s forehand..
Ivanisavic`s total game..
Karlovic`s total game..
Coria`s attitude..
Roddick`s forehand windup..
Sampras`s tongue..

Coria's attitude isn't a stroke, you're a Hewitt fan, yes?

Har-Tru
05-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Del Potro's thigh.

Collective
05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
The minute I started reading that Safin and Federer have ugly shots I stopped reading. WTF?

Do you think you can hit as strong and precise as Federer without good technique (especially considering his lack of muscle)?

Did you ever see Safin's down the line backhand? Ever saw Safin before 2006?

FFS

Collective
05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Mariano Puerta's forehand was damn ugly... Berlocq's everything... You have to accept Nadal's groundies look awful (as good as they are)

Har-Tru
05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Nadal's shots are unattractive indeed. Most of them at least.

oranges
05-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Volandri's serve deserves a mention

out_here_grindin
05-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Troicki's forehand id pretty ugly i just noticed.

m9m9m9m9m9
05-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Nadal's drive volley
it looks like as if he doesn't know how to play tennis at all
and he rarely makes it

Burrow
05-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Mariano Puerta's forehand was damn ugly... Berlocq's everything... You have to accept Nadal's groundies look awful (as good as they are)

I used to like Puerta's forehand but I agree with you with berlocq

Ichiban1920
05-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Roddick's backhand makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Arkulari
05-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Volandri's serve
Gonzo's BH
Karlovic's FH
Blake's whole game except for his FH

Dini
05-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Dent's serve :help:

MacTheKnife
05-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Nadals FH and A-rods BH, it's a photo finish.

Acer
05-28-2009, 04:18 PM

I detest Nadal's FH, it seems like he's going to hit his own head. Which would be beyond funny if it happened.

Machiavelli
05-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Carlos Berlocq has the uggliest moves

Paolo Lorenzi's serve, Alberto Brizzi's FH

My top three for sure...

ballbasher101
05-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Gonzo's backhand is the perfect example of how not to hit a single hander.

Burrow
05-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Nadal has followed through on his head, seen him do it a couple of times.

asmazif
05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
In the top 30, Nadal, Murray, Delpo, Karlovic, Andreev...

StanisKing
05-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Troicki's serve

tangerine_dream
05-28-2009, 04:38 PM
McEnroe's volleys. :p

Forehander
05-28-2009, 04:39 PM
For a while this thread turned into a battle between the one sword and the two sworded fans.

Ciarán.
05-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Bogdanovic. Everything about him is so awkward and weird.

RIboy
05-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Alun Jones's volleys

MacTheKnife
05-28-2009, 06:33 PM
McEnroe's volleys. :p

:haha::haha: Good one !!!

born_on_clay
05-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Fedmug's slice is awful

superslam77
05-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Nadal and Roddick .

TheWall
05-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Fedmug's slice is awful
If that's the case Nadal's slice and forehand surely violate the geneva convention.

Tommy fan
05-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Murray's, Karlovic and Soderling's strokes are so ugly to me

magnoliaewan
05-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Nadal's FH looks ridiculous.

born_on_clay
05-28-2009, 08:07 PM
I forgot that Fedmug's overshoulder backhand is pathetic

jonathancrane
05-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Nadull

MrChopin
05-28-2009, 08:23 PM

This would be the correct answer if not for Babolat, which turns the worst technique into the best FHs in the modern game.

Nadal's volley is pretty ugly, but it has to be the Gonzalez backhand.

LEGENDOFTENNIS
05-28-2009, 10:50 PM
gonzalez bhand and roddick bhand and every soderling shot

why,marat,why?
05-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Gremelmayr and Troicki

Mint Chip
05-28-2009, 11:22 PM
What ever Nadal does is ugly. Beck comes to mind and Korolev's service motion

Forehander
05-29-2009, 12:26 AM
Any of you guys ever seen this Indian guy who plays doubles serve? What's his name? Bhupathi or Paes? Everytime I watch it I'd start cracking off hard.

Federerhingis
05-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Any of you guys ever seen this Indian guy who plays doubles serve? What's his name? Bhupathi or Paes? Everytime I watch it I'd start cracking off hard.

Mahesh Bhupathi, yeah he's got a very mechanical game, he seems so rigid. :lol: I see why one would crack up seeing the way he plays and his form. On the other hand he's got a pretty effective serve for doubles, great hands at net and can volley nicely.

Now as to the topic, let me see... hmmm I guess Volandri was mentioned and I agree, Roddick, Karlovic, his forehand has improved enourmously but it was pathetic a few years ago.

Monfils, Mathieu and Robredo have very odd looking strokes (Tommy's forehand is actually pretty conventional but his groundstrokes as a whole are very odd looking)

Nadal is top 10 in my list of ugly strokes, his strokes are so unconventional and odd looking, but they work and he'l go down as one of the great champions, so pretty form and conventional strokes aren't any guarantee for success in tennis. ;)

out_here_grindin
05-29-2009, 01:57 AM

Prakash Amitraj also has a very rigid game.

ClaudiuS
05-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Florian Mayer.

r3d_d3v1l_
05-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Nadal´s forehand just doesn´t respect the class of the game. Nishikory´s it´s just weird.

chammer44
05-29-2009, 06:18 AM
Can't stand Roddick's serve. Awkward jerky movement.

heya
05-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Even uncaring top 10 players get attention. How sweet!

Federer fans' true colors can't hide their false modesty. Maybe a little more uncontrollable crying will make them more respectable and beautiful. Look what Federer became. So humble and aware of other people's value. :inlove:

heya
05-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Even uncaring top 10 players get attention. How sweet!

Federer fans' true colors can't hide their false modesty. Maybe a little more uncontrollable crying will make them more respectable and beautiful. Look what Federer became. So humble and aware of other people's value. :inlove:

Bargearse
05-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Since he’s in the process of doing just that, I can’t see where his talent is wasted, Also, I’m not convinced that the two-handed backhand is better overall. What you gain in control and power you lose in reach and versatility.

In the process of doing just what? Learning the two handed backhand? Or am I misunderstanding?

modern tennis
05-29-2009, 07:32 AM
federer's backhand is just repulsve to watch. its just anti tennis in the 21st century. federer's volleys are hideous.

Mimi
05-29-2009, 07:34 AM
:worship:

The ugliest strokes are made by haters at their computer keyboards.

Erica86
05-29-2009, 07:34 AM

Bargearse
05-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Mariano Zabaleta had the ugliest serve I've ever seen in the men's game.

oranges
05-29-2009, 08:36 AM

Oh, did they hurt you because they don't like Rafa's FH. :crying2: :hug:

Mimi
05-29-2009, 08:48 AM
i don't mind others don't like rafa's forehand, every one has different opinion :wavey:

modern tennis
05-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh, did they hurt you because they don't like Rafa's FH. :crying2: :hug:

old school 20th century mind set ppl hate rafas fh, modern 21st century progressive ppl love rafas fh. it depends on how old u r and how modern u r

Reloaded
05-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Good one!

moon language
05-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Ugliest strokes? What is this, figure skating?

LEGENDOFTENNIS
05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
I like Nadals fh, looks good and is effective. Federers one is better though.

vamosinator
05-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Ugliest stroke this year is Federer's junky backhand at the Aus Open Final.

FlameOn
05-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't know why people are hating on Roddick's strokes. His forehand isn't particularly ugly or pretty, and his backhand is a matter of taste but I like the early preparation. Sometimes his footwork with the backhand is a bit :o but apart from that it's fine.

born_on_clay
05-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Ugliest stroke this year is Federer's junky backhand at the Aus Open Final.

Cannot agree more :)

GlennMirnyi
05-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Awwwwww, somebody doesn't live in your pink-coloured world full of Nadull posters, then?

tangerine_dream
05-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Still Murray. :worship:

Jaz
05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Murray, clearly has the ugliest strokes...and face.

madmanfool
05-29-2009, 05:35 PM
you are forgetting Murray's shrieking come on

Voo de Mar
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Florent Serra among regular ATP players.

rafa_maniac
05-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Ugliest strokes? What is this, figure skating?

Well said. I don't even know what this statement means. Ugly seems to instantly equate with "unconventional" in the eyes of many posters. As I see it, tennis is not a game judged on objective asthetics, so terms such as "ugly" mean squat. I've never heard anyone refer to a golf swing as "ugly" or a swimming stroke, why is tennis supposedly any different? There are certain players I don't enjoy watching, ie ball-bashers, but I can't claim that they are "ugly" just because I don't appreciate them.

Roddickominator
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Well said. I don't even know what this statement means. Ugly seems to instantly equate with "unconventional" in the eyes of many posters. As I see it, tennis is not a game judged on objective asthetics, so terms such as "ugly" mean squat. I've never heard anyone refer to a golf swing as "ugly" or a swimming stroke, why is tennis supposedly any different? There are certain players I don't enjoy watching, ie ball-bashers, but I can't claim that they are "ugly" just because I don't appreciate them.

You've never seen Charles Barkley swing a golf club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50K65PNeBU

FlameOn
06-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I've read a few people say Soderling? How can people say that! His strokes are beautiful. :hearts: Lovely technique IMO.

Mateya
06-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Cilic forehand :silly:
That swing looks so strange, I can't descibe it with words.

miura
06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
I've read a few people say Soderling? How can people say that! His strokes are beautiful. :hearts: Lovely technique IMO.
His techniques are very good but it's the natural flow of the shots that are a bit off. It looks somewhat unnatural. I don't mind at all. I love when players develop their 'own' style which can easily be recognized.

Kolya
06-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Soderling is just very wristy especially with his forehand. It helps him generate some extra spin but he can of course flatten it out too.

Langers
06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Murray.

Burrow
06-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Right now I'm feeling Murray, disgusting.

green25814
06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Mugfils.

Consigliere
06-29-2009, 03:20 PM
I like that all these top players have weird swings. It shows you can do your own thing, have your own style and still become a great top level athlete.

Henry Chinaski
06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Marcel Granollers

Burrow
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
all top players have weird swings?

Ichiban1920
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Nadull's forehand
Roddick's backhand

Forehander
06-29-2009, 04:30 PM
You gotta give it to Gille Simon... Nobody on the tour even comes close to him.

«Ivan»
06-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Who has the ugliest strokes?

simple.ugliness

Sapeod
06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Nadal. No one comes close to his :o

NadalSharapova
06-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Federer backhand

oz_boz
06-29-2009, 07:36 PM
FH: Nalbandian, Wawrinka
BH: Roddick, Nadal
Serve: Söderling

(I don't count the ones that are plain bad, like Karlo's or Lopez' bh)

chowdahead25
06-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Murray.

Cilic forehand with the wrist flick.

I hate Del Potros to.

Fed Express
06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Murray makes everything look terrible.

Nadal his forehand is ugly as well. (great looking backhand though)
Stepanek forehand is ugly as well..

chowdahead25
06-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Nothing about Stepanek is ugly.

He is hotter than Megan Fox.

:haha:

Caerula Sanguis
06-29-2009, 09:22 PM
John McEnroe's serve, BH, FH, volleys.

sammy01
06-29-2009, 09:31 PM
karlovic's backhand is :tape:

blakes whole game

i love santoro but his forehand isn't exactly a thing of beauty, but it is fun to watch.

Bagelicious
07-02-2009, 02:04 AM
i love santoro but his forehand isn't exactly a thing of beauty, but it is fun to watch.

:lol: Santoro's 2-handed forehand is hilarious. I remember watching him play vs. Fed in USO 2005 and he'd run around his forehand to hit a backhand. :haha:

Certinfy
11-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Karlovic.

FlameOn
11-09-2009, 08:54 PM
karlovic's backhand is :tape:

blakes whole game

Blake's strokes are not ugly! :eek:

I'm not a fan of the forehand of Andreas Beck.

ZakMcCrack
11-09-2009, 09:34 PM
federer's backhand is just repulsve to watch. its just anti tennis in the 21st century. federer's volleys are hideous.

Yeah, man, conformity just rocks.

FairWeatherFan
11-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Troicki has undisputably the ugliest strokes. I get motion sickness just from watching him.

FlameOn
05-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Melzer's two-handed BH dropshots. :spit:

Frooty_Bazooty
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM

thats the only thing that IS good about Melzer, the king of mediocrity

Action Jackson
05-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Still better than LaLo's backhand.

oranges
05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Everything is better than Lalo's BH :lol:

borracho
05-13-2010, 01:54 PM
David Ferrer, horrible player to watch. Espacially his backhand, seems he takes it only 10cm away from his body.
Stephane Robert ugly playing style as well, mainly his FH.

But winner is Raemon Sluiter with this awful double handed FH. (Santoro is probably the ugliest player ever, but he is not active anymore, at least Sluiter has some volleys)

Iceman778
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
great joke

Start da Game
05-13-2010, 02:11 PM
i dislike the manner in which little ferru scrambles around and jabs at the ball and also how soderling with his uber ugly countryside-idiot-like open stance strikes those erratic forehands........

rocketassist
05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Del Potro.

Jills
05-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Federer.

The Nothing [†]
05-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Roddick's backhand, Dolgopolov all strokes

FlameOn
05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree about Roddick's backhand (who doesn't lol), sometimes it looks like he's going to fall over when he hits it. :retard:

The Nothing [†]
05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I agree about Roddick's backhand (who doesn't lol), sometimes it looks like he's going to fall over when he hits it. :retard:

And always comes so short, it bothers me.

Matchpointprt
05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Stepanek

Dougie
05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Stepanek

Nonsense. They´re sexy.

Everko
06-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Berdych's strokes bother me for some reason.

tennishero
06-04-2010, 09:35 PM
theres a few, giraldo comes to mind

Certinfy
06-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Berdych's strokes look the best IMO.

Anyway Dolgopolov's strokes are ugly as hell.

Dyraise
06-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Dolgopolov Jr....

.-Federers_Mate-.
06-05-2010, 01:41 AM
del potro, dolgopolov, andreev serve.

andy neyer
06-05-2010, 01:53 AM

This.

Nadal's fh is ugly but effective.

Roddick's bh has improved over the years and I'd say it's fairly decent now but it looks so forced and unnatural. Plus it's not that effective.

superslam77
06-05-2010, 02:33 AM
Nadal's FH. horribly finish above his head.
Roddick's everything. Makes all kinds of weird stuff with his face.
Cilic's Serve. Looks bent sideways
Karlovic. Guy is only serve.
Dolgopolov. Weird strokes.

green25814
06-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Cilic has a nice, smooth service action tbf.

DualMedia
06-05-2010, 02:45 AM
i do!

n8
06-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Bernard Tomic's forehand is very unusual. But I kind of like unusual shots as they are interesting. This applies to Nadal's forehand too.

nalbyfan
06-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Monfils, Simon and Nadal

Certinfy
06-05-2010, 09:30 AM
I actually find that Roddick's BH is nice action to watch :lol:

FlameOn
06-05-2010, 09:34 AM
I actually find that Roddick's BH is nice action to watch :lol:
His slice maybe, but his topspin BH is :tape:. I think I said on the last page, he sometimes looks like he's gonna fall over when he hits it. :p

Certinfy
06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
His slice maybe, but his topspin BH is :tape:. I think I said on the last page, he sometimes looks like he's gonna fall over when he hits it. :p
:haha: Weird way to put it, but come to think of it you're right. Can't wait till he does fall over hitting it one day now. :lol:

FlameOn
01-26-2011, 02:52 AM
My God, Dolgopolov. Everything's ugly. :help:

Audacity
01-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Dolgopolov.

tests
01-26-2011, 03:46 AM
My God, Dolgopolov. Everything's ugly. :help:

good job hating on someones misfortunes.

Forehander
01-26-2011, 04:16 AM

Lol so who has a good looking forehand?

GlennMirnyi
01-26-2011, 04:27 AM
Nadull has the most hideous strokes ever.