Why Didn't Marcelo Rios Win a GS? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why Didn't Marcelo Rios Win a GS?

Katastrophe
10-31-2006, 03:51 PM
For all his natural talent and ability, why didn't he win a major? Any thoughts?

TennisGrandSlam
10-31-2006, 03:56 PM
For all his natural talent and ability, why didn't he win a major? Any thoughts?

Ask Korda :o

spencercarlos
10-31-2006, 03:59 PM
For all of his natural ability he probably had the worst mentally from a top player, and the worst working habits.
He tanked matches at will, and thought he was too talented to train properly.
And this is coming from a Rios Fan.

Ernham
10-31-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't think he was all that great. He only had one good year his entire career.

Katastrophe
For all of his natural ability he probably had the worst mentally from a top player, and the worst working habits.

Am I remembering this correctly- was it Rios who was once fined for tanking?

KaxMisha

Very true. Rios is probably the worst waste of talent in men's tennis ever.

Dancing Hero
Lots of players shine for a short spell, Rios was one of them. He had injuries as well and was out for a while then. To be a GS champion takes more than just winning the regular tour events, and the great players last and perform in the spotlight when the pressure is on.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
I don't think he was all that great. He only had one good year his entire career.

Well, compared to the other top players, he hardly practised at all (from what I heard).

TennisGrandSlam
10-31-2006, 04:04 PM

It is very pity to see his 1998 title profile

Auckland, Indian Wells, Miami, Rome, St. Poelten, Grand Slam Cup, Singapore

His only runner-up was Australian Open

Very big contrast to Rafter in 1997 (6 runners-up and 1 title, but the title is US Open) :devil:

Ernham
10-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, compared to the other top players, he hardly ´practised at all (from what I heard).

I don't recall sloth being a great quality for an athlete.

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
It is very pity to see his 1998 title profile

Auckland, Indian Wells, Miami, Rome, St. Poelten, Grand Slam Cup, Singapore

His only runner-up was Australian Open

Very big contrast to Rafter in 1997 (6 runners-up and 1 title, but the title is US Open) :devil:

:wavey: :cool: ..Good point:angel:
# Yeah in the end it`s all about winning the big titles & Rios`s 98 season was very close to being great~> unfortunately he lost the only final of any historical significance that year:sad:

* Pat Rafter`s 97 season was a beauty:worship: .. Losing 6-finals & only winning the one that mattered~ US Open.... That one made me happy & helped him get into the Hall of Fame;)

ChinoRios4Ever
10-31-2006, 04:58 PM
:sad: :mad: :sad: :mad:

why CH1NO why???

TennisGrandSlam
10-31-2006, 04:59 PM
:wavey: :cool: ..Good point:angel:
# Yeah in the end it`s all about winning the big titles & Rios`s 98 season was very close to being great~> unfortunately he lost the only final of any historical significance that year:sad:

* Pat Rafter`s 97 season was a beauty:worship: .. Losing 6-finals & only winning the one that mattered~ US Open.... That one made me happy & helped him get into the Hall of Fame;)

This is a turning point.

If Rafter failed to win US Open 1997, he might disappear from the Tennis field soon, however, he catched the chance!

If Rios won Australian Open, he may be the tennis king next to Sampras (Just I think)

Likewsie, if Ferrero defeated A-Rod for US Open 2003 title, he were the double slam winners in 2003 and create his own dynasty!

But chance will not wait people!

Rogi lost the chance to be YE NO.1 of 2003, but he never give up! Now I see the three-year-in-row YE NO.1.

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 05:03 PM
This is a turning point.

If Rafter failed to win US Open 1997, he might disappear from the Tennis field soon, however, he catched the chance!

If Rios won Australian Open, he may be the tennis king next to Sampras (Just I think)

Likewsie, if Ferrero defeated A-Rod for US Open 2003 title, he were the double slam winners in 2003 and create his own dynasty!

But choice will not wait people!

Rogi lost the chance to be YE NO.1 of 2003, but he never give up! Now I see the three-year-in-row YE NO.1.
:worship: :angel:
You`re a deep & thoughtful thinker TennisGrandSlam:cool: > I like the way your mind works;) ... I think we`re mostly on the same wavelength:wavey:

*Viva Chile*
10-31-2006, 05:07 PM

For giving a commentary like that, I think you never saw Marcelo playing in his days.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't recall sloth being a great quality for an athlete.

Well... No. And that's why I'm saying he wasted his talent.

Jenrios
10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
I agree that Marcelo didn't have a great work ethic and certainly lost matches he should have won. He was never fined for tanking though. At the end of 97, he worked on his fitness and the results paid off in 98.

Despite all that's been said about his mentality and work ethic, I think most posters fail to note the seriousness of his injuries. The serious back injury started mid way through 98, and he really should have stopped playing. He struggled on, because of the number 1 race between him and Sampras. He edned the season retiring from the end of season Masters with chronic back problems. he was advised to rest - and it was only when he played Auckland in 99, and broke down again, that the back fracture was properly diagnosed.

From then on, it was all downhill. He'd suffered problems with his right hamstring most of his pro career. This developed into the chronic groin problems, which required 2 ops - first time this op was carried out on a tennis player. He lost some of his speed, which was crucial to his game, and he was never the same player.

I don't think he ever reached his full potential, and the onset of serious injuries in his career never gave him his chance to develop his game.

It's far too easy to say 'Rios tanked', 'Rios was a flake' - and I think some posters have read one too many Sports Illustrated issues. Give him his due - he was 23 when chronic injuries set in.

Jenrios
10-31-2006, 05:25 PM
At 5 ft 8, I also think the game was too demanding of him for him to have a lengthy career.

Jenrios
10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
As for practice, it was said Johnny Mac rarely practiced, and in fact, playing doubles was his way of practicing. That just wouldn't be possible from the late 80's onwards. Maybe Rios should have played in Mac's era, eh?

Katastrophe
10-31-2006, 06:14 PM
I found the correct information from rediff.com/sports:

"Marat Safin created an unwanted slice of history at the 2000 Australian Open, when he became the first player to be fined for tanking, or not trying, at a grand slam tournament."

It was Safin, not Rios- thank you Jenrios. I enjoyed reading your posts.:)

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 06:16 PM

"Marat Safin created an unwanted slice of history at the 2000 Australian Open, when he became the first player to be fined for tanking, or not trying, at a grand slam tournament."

Could you please post a link or ellaborate? :)

Katastrophe
10-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Could you please post a link or ellaborate? :)

Sure.:)

I thought that Rios was once fined at the Australian Open for not trying on purpose. Jenrios said Rios was never fined, which turned out to be correct. Safin was fined as it turns out:

Here is the website- http://www.rediff.com/sports/2004/sep/20safin.htm

Jenrios
10-31-2006, 06:22 PM

You're welcome:) yes, it was Safin, and another player, can't remember who, was also fined around the same time.

name_change
10-31-2006, 06:46 PM
he wasn't good enough.

Fergie
10-31-2006, 06:53 PM
For his weak mentality :sad:

ChinoRios4Ever
10-31-2006, 07:17 PM
too many injuries in big moments :sad:

alfonsojose
10-31-2006, 07:30 PM
That long hair :bolt:

sawan66278
10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Rios, in my mind, did win a slam....the major Korda won while cheating!!!!!!!!!

DrJules
10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
From then on, it was all downhill. He'd suffered problems with his right hamstring most of his pro career. This developed into the chronic groin problems, which required 2 ops - first time this op was carried out on a tennis player. He lost some of his speed, which was crucial to his game, and he was never the same player.

Agreed.

The major obstacle to his achievements was his injuries, but his mentality did not help.

Katastrophe
10-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Rios, in my mind, did win a slam....the major Korda won while cheating!!!!!!!!!

You are so right. Such a shame, and very unfortunate for Rios. *Sigh* no "do-overs" in tennis....:(

Effka
10-31-2006, 07:44 PM
i think it's just because he didn't feel like doing it :shrug:

spencercarlos
10-31-2006, 09:05 PM
It's far too easy to say 'Rios tanked', 'Rios was a flake' - and I think some posters have read one too many Sports Illustrated issues. Give him his due - he was 23 when chronic injuries set in.
It far too easy for you to find a excuse for his lack of comitment and his lack of fight when things did not go his way.
Marcelo either never had the "balls" (guts) to overcome those situations or simply asumed the easy way out which was don´t care at all.
Rios had the ability to play tennis like anybody else could from all the players i saw at that point (1998-2000) until i watched Federer (2003).
Toe to toe i would put Federer against Rios both at their respective peaks, would you imagine a match like that?

Rios mentally he is one of the weakest players ever. Period

willrock
10-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Well, ask Nalbandian why he hasn't achieved this neither...

Chileno
10-31-2006, 09:58 PM
2 things:

1) Weak Mentaly

2) Cronic Injuries

buddyholly
10-31-2006, 11:16 PM
It is hard to win a Grand Slam if you spend all your time being mad at the world for not giving you think you deserve.

Katastrophe
10-31-2006, 11:27 PM
It is hard to win a Grand Slam if you spend all your time being mad at the world for not giving you think you deserve.

Apparently some people didn't like Rios- I found a couple of these quotes.:eek:

Bud Collins: That's right. And in a couple of cases where they've been very rude, people like Marcello Rios and some others, then I say 'I was here before you got here, and I'm going to be here after you've gone', but I think that's rude to say to them, so I don't.

Ed Toombs (of Tennis on the Line): The ESPN International crew cracked me up during an early round match at the Tennis Masters Series – Roma. The camera focused on the scowling Marcelo Rios, who was watching the match surrounded by empty seats. Commentator Jimmy Arias quipped, "There's Marcelo Rios scouting the match and looking as happy as ever." His broadcast partner (I don't know who he was, alas) joked, "I thought you were going to say he's surrounded by all his friends."

MisterQ
11-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Rios looked like a great player when you watched him at his best. But his slam results are remarkably bad for a former No. 1 player. Aside from that one AO final, he never even made another semi at a major.

Some might say that he was unlucky not to win a major, but it can also be argued that he was lucky to reach No. 1 at all. Some far more accomplished players never got to this No. 1 spot because of the specifics of the competition in their best years: Chang, Ivanisevic, Vilas, Nadal thus far...

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Mentality mostly.

TennisGrandSlam
11-02-2006, 07:51 AM
so sad. :sad:

but his EQ is too bad. :o

Voo de Mar
11-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Cause he has a complicated personality and he wanted to be the only No. 1 in history without a Grand Slam title ;)