Players with MYSTIQUE [Rafa`s evolution, joins list]~> more than just winning %..! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Players with MYSTIQUE [Rafa`s evolution, joins list]~> more than just winning %..!

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Here`s my TOP 10 players who had/have mystique [Open Era]...

*1. Rod Laver [partial Open Era] ~ achieved the Grand Slam [all 4-Slams] in 62 & 69 = MISTIQUE
1. Bjorn Borg ~ so dominant, so mysterious, retired suddenly at his peak! Lost USO final 4-times.
2. Roger Federer ~ freakish talent, 3/4 slams twice [04, 06], speaks 4-languages, prone to crying!
3. John McEnroe ~ rude man/child who also happened to have freakish talent, can we be serious?
4. Jimmy Connors ~ not for talent but for record titles, longevity & guts etc. 3/4 slams in 1974!
5. Andre Agassi ~ from "image is everything" to "disciplined elder monk"! Completes career slam in 99!
6. Mats Wilander ~ wins 3/4 slams in 1988 & then never comes close again! Drugs! All surface fighter..
7. Boris Becker ~ wins Wimby at 17yrs, won AO way past his prime, kinky! Red-haired heart-throb?!
8. Rafael Nadal ~ wins FO 3-years in a row [21-0], pushes FED to limit in Wimby final, pirate evolution!
9. Ivan Lendl ~ initially a choker & holds several records, made 19 slam finals! Obsessed by Wimby!
10. John Newcombe ~ got to #1 at age 30yrs, nice guy kicked arse & the moustache! Charismatic/fiery!

##...As you can see this is a pseudo list for greatest ever in the Open Era;)
... Of course if we just go by the numbers then Sampras is out in front, however I believe the legacy of these great players also had a lot to do with their mistique:angel: ... I wonder if anybody agrees with me:confused:

Who do you consider had the greatest mistique in the Open Era:confused: ...

PS. Don`t feel obliged to narrow it down to Slam winners~ if you think somebody else had greater mistique [such as Rios, Henman:eek: ] etc.. then by all means let me know;)

Ernham
10-31-2006, 01:17 PM
I've always liked Ivan "the terrible". He's a great example of someone that probably only got to numbr one and made all his records by sheer will alone. And anyone that bean balls McEnroe at the net whenever he got the chance is always high on my list of coolness.

Ernham
10-31-2006, 01:24 PM
I'd go with
1. Borg (just ridiculous natural talent and didn't really seem to care)
2. Federer(same as borg essentially. heh)
3. Lendl. Self-made champion. No apologies from this guy. He was out there to win and not make friends and never pretended he was doing anything otherwise. Vintage Lendl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAPwx3z950

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 01:29 PM
I've always liked Ivan "the terrible". He's a great example of someone that probably only got to numbr one and made all his records by sheer will alone. And anyone that bean balls McEnroe at the net whenever he got the chance is always high on my list of coolness.
:wavey:
Cheers:cool: .. I liked Lendl too~>> especially when his game was dismantled by Cash [my hero at the time] in the 87 Wimby final:angel: :devil:

RonE
10-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm surprised you have Agassi on your list- IMHO he is one of the least mystic and most superficial players the game has ever seen.

I have never bought into all this "elder of the game" BS as the media have tried to portray him- deep down he is the same as he always was. The only difference is with age he matured and became more experienced and knew how to hide the bratty facet of his personality better and put on his "elder spokesman" face. Every now and then there would be some external circumstance which would peel that mask off e.g. St. Poelten 2004.

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 01:33 PM
I'd go with
1. Borg (just ridiculous natural talent and didn't really seem to care)
2. Federer(same as borg essentially. heh)
3. Lendl. Self-made champion. No apologies from this guy. He was out there to win and not make friends and never pretended he was doing anything otherwise. Vintage Lendl:
:eek:
Yeah Lendl was nasty:devil: ~>> but that`s what made him cool:worship:

BTW that youtube footage- where was it? Seemed to be a big/vocal crowd for an MM tourney:eek: .. Stadium wasn`t familiar but I guess it`s somewhere in the Western states of America:confused:

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm surprised you have Agassi on your list- IMHO he is one of the least mystic and most superficial players the game has ever seen.

I have never bought into all this "elder of the game" BS as the media have tried to portray him- deep down he is the same as he always was. The only difference is with age he matured and became more experienced and knew how to hide the bratty facet of his personality better and put on his "elder spokesman" face. Every now and then there would be some external circumstance which would peel that mask off e.g. St. Poelten 2004.
I see you don`t like Agassi:eek:

MISTIQUE encapsulates a lot of things:cool: .. Remember Agassi was making the SFs at FO & USO in 1988 & then in 2005 he was still coming close [USO final]... 17-years of being near the top~ that`s the stuff of mystic!

Also the fact that he won Wimby 1st on his worst surface, FO last at the Slam he`d choked at most.. AO the most at the Slam he came to latest!! It`s all legendary:worship:

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 01:39 PM

What happened in St. Pölten? :)

RonE
10-31-2006, 01:43 PM
I see you don`t like Agassi:eek:

MYSTIC encapsulates a lot of things:cool: .. Remember Agassi was making the SFs at FO & USO in 1988 & then in 2005 he was still coming close [USO final]... 17-years of being near the top~ that`s the stuff of mystic!

Also the fact that he won Wimby 1st on his worst surface, FO last at the Slam he`d choked at most.. AO the most at the Slam he came to latest!! It`s all legendary:worship:

I thought you meant mystic in terms of his personality.

In terms of his tennis results, yes there is some truth to that and the fact that his career spanned as long as it did. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that he didn't take the game too seriously in the beginning and wasted many of his prime years and only decided to really buckle down and work hard late in his career is what enabled him to keep playing for as long as he did.

RonE
10-31-2006, 01:54 PM

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=10698&highlight=Agassi

star
10-31-2006, 01:56 PM

Isn't learning to hide the bratty facet of one's personality called growing up? We were all brats to one extent or another as children and youths and learning to hide it, or overcome it most of the time is what we do when we grow up. Sometimes we get petulant as adults, but mostly when we start feeling that way, we try not to show it. Unfortunately, sometimes we fail.

Not apoligizing for Agassi though. I've never been a big fan of his, but it does seem to me that he has shown growth over the years. And as far as showing "mystic" (mistique?) I think he was the most charismatic player of his generation.

KaxMisha
10-31-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=10698&highlight=Agassi

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :haha: :haha: :haha:

cmurray
10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Isn't learning to hide the bratty facet of one's personality called growing up? We were all brats to one extent or another as children and youths and learning to hide it, or overcome it most of the time is what we do when we grow up. Sometimes we get petulant as adults, but mostly when we start feeling that way, we try not to show it. Unfortunately, sometimes we fail.

Not apoligizing for Agassi though. I've never been a big fan of his, but it does seem to me that he has shown growth over the years. And as far as showing "mystic" (mistique?) I think he was the most charismatic player of his generation.

Good post, star. Having a temper and being a brat aren't the same thing. When he was young, he was a brat, no doubt about it. Whether you want to admit it, the guy has some serious talent - he just didn't give a crap when he was young. And now that we know what his life was like his behavior, while not acceptable, is at least understandable. Still, he was a complete jerk sometimes.

Saying "Fuck me" because he missed a shot isn't bratty behavior - it's just temper. The time he spit on that umpire was bratty behavior. :)

Ernham
10-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Reason i would put Borg ahead of Federer is that i think Borg was not just ridiculously gifted tennis player, but he dominated on the surfaces on the extremes from each other, clay and grass. It was almost like he was cursed in the US open hardcourts, and he pretty much never even bothered to play in the australian open. Like i said, it's almost as if he didn't really care much about his talent.

Dancing Hero
10-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Mac, Connors and Nastase for upsetting the stuffed shirts/ old farts at the All England club. Woke them up. Coolness personified. Original bad boys.

:) :devil: :cool: :eek: :angel:

TennisGrandSlam
10-31-2006, 02:52 PM
First Five Domination (at least 2 years!)

1. Laver (Grand Slam in 1962 and 1969)
2. Borg (3 times Roland Garros and Wimbledon back-to-back, mostly dominated within 1978-80)
3. Federer (twice Small Slam in 2004 and 2006, slightly dominated in 2003, mostly dominated in 2004-2006)
4. Lendl (many minor titles in 1981-82, dominated in 1985-87 and slight dominated in 1989)
5. Sampras (era within 1993-98, but not very dominated in 1995, 1996 and 1998)

RonE
10-31-2006, 03:40 PM

Ivan :worship: :worship: :worship:

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 03:58 PM
First Five Domination (at least 2 years!)

1. Laver (Grand Slam in 1962 and 1969)
2. Borg (3 times Roland Garros and Wimbledon back-to-back, mostly dominated within 1978-80)
3. Federer (twice Small Slam in 2004 and 2006, slightly dominated in 2003, mostly dominated in 2004-2006)
4. Lendl (many minor titles in 1981-82, dominated in 1985-87 and slight dominated in 1989)
5. Sampras (era within 1993-98, but not very dominated in 1995, 1996 and 1998)
:cool: Thanks;)
#....
>>>>>> What about Agassi in 99-00 [he won 3/4 slams & reached 4-successive slam finals]:worship:

What about Connors winning 3/4 slams in 74, & being banned from FO that year:confused:

What about Wilander winning 3/4 slams in 88:devil:

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Mac, Connors and Nastase for upsetting the stuffed shirts/ old farts at the All England club. Woke them up. Coolness personified. Original bad boys.

:) :devil: :cool: :eek: :angel:
Yeah... those three guys you mentioned certainly rocked up the establishment:angel: :devil: :eek: :mad: :worship: :o :p ...

I considered putting Nastase on the list but feel that his mistique/legacy was just outside of the Top #10:sad:

TennisGrandSlam
10-31-2006, 04:17 PM
:cool: Thanks;)
#....
>>>>>> What about Agassi in 99-00 [he won 3/4 slams & reached 4-successive slam finals]:worship:

What about Connors winning 3/4 slams in 74, & being banned from FO that year:confused:

What about Wilander winning 3/4 slams in 88:devil:

Connors

74 - 3 Slam winner, FO banned
75 - 3 Slam runners-up :rolleyes:
76 - 1 Slam, totally 12 title
77 - nothing to say :o
78 - 1 Slam, 10 title

(It seems very unstable, also many of WCT and Mickey Mouse Tournaments are 16-draw)

J Mac

Mostly dominated in 1984, highly dominated in 1981 (rank at 6th)

Agassi

95 - Quite dominated, but bad ending (not YE NO.1)
99 - Breakthrough after return in 1998, but only dominated in Slam not another tournaments like Master Series (rank at 6th as JMac)

Wilander

83 - Slight dominated, he was a teenage player - 9 titles w/ AO and helped Sweden to win DC

88 - like Agassi in 1999, only dominated in GS

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Connors

74 - 3 Slam winner, FO banned
75 - 3 Slam runners-up :rolleyes:
76 - 1 Slam, totally 12 title
77 - nothing to say :o
78 - 1 Slam, 10 title

(It seems very unstable, also many of WCT and Mickey Mouse Tournaments are 16-draw)

J Mac

Mostly dominated in 1984, highly dominated in 1981 (rank at 6th)

Agassi

95 - Quite dominated, but bad ending (not YE NO.1)
99 - Breakthrough after return in 1998, but only dominated in Slam not another tournaments like Master Series (rank at 6th as JMac)

Wilander

83 - Slight dominated, he was a teenage player - 9 titles w/ AO and helped Sweden to win DC

;) ~~ Okay so Agassi & McEnroe come in at equal 6th for you:cool: ... But you didn`t mention where Connors or Wilander come in on your list:confused:

Dancing Hero
10-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah... those three guys you mentioned certainly rocked up the establishment:angel: :devil: :eek: :mad: :worship: :o :p ...

I considered putting Nastase on the list but feel that his mistique/legacy was just outside of the Top #10:sad:

Yeah Aussie, I liked those guys. I wouldn't have put Nasty in the top 10 either if you include his actual tennis record, just outside. Personality though I guess I would.

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 08:50 AM

Funny Muster's old coach and manager Ronnie "das arschloch" Leitgeb gave Agassi a massive appearance fee and he turned up and took it as a holiday and lost against Zimonjic.

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Who do you consider had the greatest mistique in the Open Era:confused: ...

PS. Don`t feel obliged to narrow it down to Slam winners~ if you think somebody else had greater mistique [such as Rios, Henman:eek: ] etc.. then by all means let me know;) [/B]

As for mystique, one that hasn't been mentioned so far is Miloslav Mecir, the antithesis of a tennis player.

RonE
11-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Funny Muster's old coach and manager Ronnie "das arschloch" Leitgeb gave Agassi a massive appearance fee and he turned up and took it as a holiday and lost against Zimonjic.

It takes an "arschloch" to get another "arschloch" to play in his tournament :)

The Pro
11-01-2006, 09:17 AM
I like people who badmouth Agassi, it's not unreasonable at all.

I could never understand his popularity. If you ask anyone who watches just a little tennis who their favourite player is, they'll say Agassi. He started out as rather a joke who (for example) thought he could take on the Wimbledon system, -funny how that worked out, -not to mention some of his more colourful insults.

I always thought he was full of shit, great player or not.

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 09:19 AM
It takes an "arschloch" to get another "arschloch" to play in his tournament :)

I have to say Agassi was a couple of years late cause Pörtschach is a nicer place to holiday than St Pölten.

As I said Mecir was a true mystery man, for so many reasons.

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 09:20 AM
I like people who badmouth Agassi, it's not unreasonable at all.

I could never understand his popularity. If you ask anyone who watches just a little tennis who their favourite player is, they'll say Agassi. He started out as rather a joke who (for example) thought he could take on the Wimbledon system, -funny how that worked out, -not to mention some of his more colourful insults.

I always thought he was full of shit, great player or not.

What it comes down is that he is no superhero or able to cure cancer the way some people went on about him. He was a great tennis player and that is what he should be remembered for, every individual has their own failings and strengths, but "image is everything".

CmonAussie
11-02-2006, 01:25 AM
I have to say Agassi was a couple of years late cause Pörtschach is a nicer place to holiday than St Pölten.

As I said Mecir was a true mystery man, for so many reasons.
Yeah good point:cool:

Mecir was sort of the Rios of the 1980s.. wasn`t he:wavey:

What about Kriek:confused: ~~ The name alone seems mystical:angel: :devil:

Action Jackson
11-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Mecir was sort of the Rios of the 1980s.. wasn`t he:wavey:

In what ways was Mecir like Rios? I hope you aren't talking about personality wise?

uglyamerican
11-03-2006, 08:58 AM
I think Lendl is enjoying a mini-resurgence (in my head, if nowhere else).

It would be fun if Roger (or anyone) would be a little more bad-ass, like Lendl was bad-ass. Everyone tries too hard to be some kind of ambassador for tennis. I want to see more of the attitude of, "This is who I am. This is how I play. I'm here to win, not to impress you."

CmonAussie
11-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I think Lendl is enjoying a mini-resurgence (in my head, if nowhere else).

It would be fun if Roger (or anyone) would be a little more bad-ass, like Lendl was bad-ass. Everyone tries too hard to be some kind of ambassador for tennis. I want to see more of the attitude of, "This is who I am. This is how I play. I'm here to win, not to impress you."

:wavey: ~~ I`ve got the man for the job... Rocky Llegs Hewitt:devil: ~>> once he gets his attitude back we`re all in for a treat:cool:

CmonAussie
07-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Update
In light of RAFA`s evolution to all court player & his utter dominance at FO I thought his mystique value needed to be taken into account<:)

*1. Rod Laver [partial Open Era] ~ achieved the Grand Slam [all 4-Slams] in 62 & 69 = MYSTIQUE
1. Bjorn Borg ~ so dominant, so mysterious, retired suddenly at his peak! Lost USO final 4-times.
2. Roger Federer ~ freakish talent, 3/4 slams twice [04, 06], speaks 4-languages, prone to crying!
3. John McEnroe ~ rude man/child who also happened to have freakish talent, can we be serious?
4. Jimmy Connors ~ not for talent but for record titles, longevity & guts etc. 3/4 slams in 1974!
5. Andre Agassi ~ from "image is everything" to "disciplined elder monk"! Completes career slam in 99!
6. Mats Wilander ~ wins 3/4 slams in 1988 & then never comes close again! Drugs! All surface fighter..
7. Boris Becker ~ wins Wimby at 17yrs, won AO way past his prime, kinky! Red-haired heart-throb?!
8. Rafael Nadal ~ wins FO 3-years in a row [21-0], pushes FED to limit in Wimby final, pirate evolution!
9. Ivan Lendl ~ initially a choker & holds several records, made 19 slam finals! Obsessed by Wimby!
10. John Newcombe ~ got to #1 at age 30yrs, nice guy kicked arse & the moustache! Charismatic/fiery!

The_Nadal_effect
07-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Nadal outdoes everyone in this era in the 'department of Charisma'; glad to see you've included him in your list! :yeah:

:lol: pirate evolution

calvinhobbes
07-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I believe MYSTIC is the real love for tennis, no matter the
results. Of course it is more evident in winners, but maybe in losers it is more genuinely human. To try and try again, to bring forth the best of yourself in search of even a small spark of artistry and plastic beauty. To persevere across the years.
I find this quality in Bjorkman and Santoro.
BTW, MYSTIC is not the same as AMBITION. This is a false coin that may buy success, but never genuine admiration . . . . .

The_Nadal_effect
07-15-2007, 05:21 PM
I believe MYSTIC is the real love for tennis, no matter the
results. Of course it is more evident in winners, but maybe in losers it is more genuinely human. To try and try again, to bring forth the best of yourself in search of even a small spark of artistry and plastic beauty. To persevere across the years.
I find this quality in Bjorkman and Santoro.
BTW, MYSTIC is not the same as AMBITION. This is a false coin that may buy success, but never genuine admiration . . . . .

Outstanding post! :hug:

BrandoPolo
07-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Hmmm, well I define mystique as a certain untouchable charisma and star quality, personalities that transcended the game and were significant to culture and not just to sports, so my list would look like this:

1. Pancho Gonzales. The original bad-boy of tennis, and it has been remarked more than once that if you had to have someone play for your life, he would be the guy. Has the greatest bio in tennis history: grew up child of Mexican immigrants in Los Angeles, didn't pick up a racket until age 12, totally self-taught player, troubled youth who had run-ins with police, discharged from the Navy for bad conduct, ostracized from the tennis world because of his race, completely dominated tennis for a decade, first player to pick up major endorsements, married six times, got mixed up with shady Vegas types, died penniless.

2. The Ice-Borg. Besides having the coolest tennis nickname ever, he is the great tragic figure of tennis. Modernized and popularized men's tennis. Played some of the most nail-biting matches ever against nemesis McEnroe, a great clash of style and personalities. Cool as cucumber on court, teen prodigy, heartthrob, celebrity, made the cover of Time and Newsweek. Troubled off-court. Quickly won a stunning 11 out of 27 slams entered, only bothering to show up at the Australian once, then abruptly retired at the height of his powers, angering the establishment and leaving behind tons of unanswered questions and unbroken records.

3. Big Bill Tilden. The Babe Ruth of tennis if Ruth had been upper-crust. A heavy smoker, sometime movie star and friend of the biggest stars and celebrities of his day, flamboyant scandalous lifestyle, forever changed the game from a country club "game" to an athletic celebrity "sport." An intellectual who was once one of the most famous men in the world.

4. Arthur Ashe. The biggest star in collegiate tennis history, one of the rare collegiate stars to reach the heights of success on the pro tour. His role as a ethnic pioneer for men's tennis is well-known, but then became of the most important people in the world with tireless activism for civil rights causes worldwide, before contracting HIV from a blood transfusion and dying young.

5. Ivan the Terrible. Tennis's perfect villain for the end of the Cold War era, a triumph of the machine over the person, and sheer will and determination over talent. The first true modern power player whose obsession with winning slams (especially Wimbledon) ushered in the era of Slam-counting and record-chasing your way to greatness (something that has ruined the men's game IMO).

6. Rene Lacoste. A national icon in his native country, and the reason why tennis players are expected to exhibit grace and have style.

I don't think any players in recent history are particularly culturally significant or charismatic, but only time will tell.

CmonAussie
07-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Hmmm, well I define mystique as a certain untouchable charisma and star quality, personalities that transcended the game and were significant to culture and not just to sports, so my list would look like this:

1. Pancho Gonzales. The original bad-boy of tennis, and it has been remarked more than once that if you had to have someone play for your life, he would be the guy. Has the greatest bio in tennis history: grew up child of Mexican immigrants in Los Angeles, didn't pick up a racket until age 12, totally self-taught player, troubled youth who had run-ins with police, discharged from the Navy for bad conduct, ostracized from the tennis world because of his race, completely dominated tennis for a decade, first player to pick up major endorsements, married six times, got mixed up with shady Vegas types, died penniless.

2. The Ice-Borg. Besides having the coolest tennis nickname ever, he is the great tragic figure of tennis. Modernized and popularized men's tennis. Played some of the most nail-biting matches ever against nemesis McEnroe, a great clash of style and personalities. Cool as cucumber on court, teen prodigy, heartthrob, celebrity, made the cover of Time and Newsweek. Troubled off-court. Quickly won a stunning 11 out of 27 slams entered, only bothering to show up at the Australian once, then abruptly retired at the height of his powers, angering the establishment and leaving behind tons of unanswered questions and unbroken records.

3. Big Bill Tilden. The Babe Ruth of tennis if Ruth had been upper-crust. A heavy smoker, sometime movie star and friend of the biggest stars and celebrities of his day, flamboyant scandalous lifestyle, forever changed the game from a country club "game" to an athletic celebrity "sport." An intellectual who was once one of the most famous men in the world.

4. Arthur Ashe. The biggest star in collegiate tennis history, one of the rare collegiate stars to reach the heights of success on the pro tour. His role as a ethic pioneer for men's tennis is well-known, but then became of the most important people in the world with tireless activism for civil rights causes worldwide, before contracting HIV from a blood transfusion and dying young.

5. Ivan the Terrible. Tennis's perfect villain for the end of the Cold War era, a triumph of the machine over the person, and sheer will and determination over talent. The first true modern power player whose obsession with winning slams (especially Wimbledon) ushered in the era of Slam-counting and record-chasing your way to greatness (something that has ruined the men's game IMO).

6. Rene Lacoste. A national icon in his native country, and the reason why tennis players are expected to exhibit grace and have style.

I don't think any players in recent history are particularly culturally significant or charismatic, but only time will tell.

Good post:cool:

Regarding your last comment~~ surely you see that Andre Agassi was particularly culturally significant;)
Agassi had tons of charisma & redefined cool on the tennis court:cool:
People Worldwide who had no interest in tennis suddenly began watching the sport merely to get a glimpse of the rock star/pirate Andre:angel:

liptea
07-16-2007, 02:48 AM
revolutionizing pants qualifies as mystique?

laure xxx
07-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Never have I seen so many different spellings of the word "mystique" in my life.

CmonAussie
07-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Never have I seen so many different spellings of the word "mystique" in my life.

Yeah it`s a hard word to get a handle on~ that`s for sure;)

Anyway however mystique is spelt the impression is the same~~ you`ve either got it or you don`t:devil:

Federer, Nadal, Agassi, Laver, Borg etc. have it:cool:
Sampras, Davydenko, Ljubicic, Stich, Kafelnikov et. don`t have it:p

CmonAussie
07-16-2007, 03:02 PM
revolutionizing pants qualifies as mystique?

Please be more respectful;)

RAFA`s leading the `Pirate Evolution` & I`m not talking about Jack Sparrow or Captain Barbossa:cool:

stebs
07-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah it`s a hard word to get a handle on~ that`s for sure;)

Anyway however mystique is spelt the impression is the same~~ you`ve either got it or you don`t:devil:

Federer, Nadal, Agassi, Laver, Borg etc. have it:cool:
Sampras, Davydenko, Ljubicic, Stich, Kafelnikov et. don`t have it:p

One thing you don't understand is that just because the media portray some people in a certain way it doesn't mean they are that way and just because some people have everything they say nitpicked doesn't mean it's actually any more interesting than some people who don't have that.

You are looking at this from the point of view of a casual fan, if you actually got to finding out a little more you'd realise that some players with less media coverage actually have more charisma (assuming that's what you mean by mystique) than those portrayed as heroes.

Action Jackson
07-16-2007, 04:41 PM
One thing you don't understand is that just because the media portray some people in a certain way it doesn't mean they are that way and just because some people have everything they say nitpicked doesn't mean it's actually any more interesting than some people who don't have that.

You are looking at this from the point of view of a casual fan, if you actually got to finding out a little more you'd realise that some players with less media coverage actually have more charisma (assuming that's what you mean by mystique) than those portrayed as heroes.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

CmonAussie
07-16-2007, 04:49 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Go on George:devil: ,~surely you`ve got more to say for yourself than 3-waveys:confused:

CmonAussie
07-16-2007, 04:55 PM

I consider myself more than a casual fan;)

*I saw Sampras play live several times & yes his serve is the best in the history of the game but his personality wreaked of arrogance/in a sleep inducing android kind of way:eek:

Marcelo Rios was a brat & terrible to fans, but I consider that he had a lot more mystique than Pete..

Sorry I know this thread of mine is somewhat vague~~ as the meaning of `mystique` is open to interpretation. Anyway I`m happy for others to have different views than mine;)

stebs
07-16-2007, 04:59 PM
I consider myself more than a casual fan;)

*I saw Sampras play live several times & yes his serve is the best in the history of the game but his personality wreaked of arrogance/in a sleep inducing android kind of way:eek:

Marcelo Rios was a brat & terrible to fans, but I consider that he had a lot more mystique than Pete..

Sorry I know this thread of mine is somewhat vague~~ as the meaning of `mystique` is open to interpretation. Anyway I`m happy for others to have different views than mine;)

I am not saying that you ARE a casual fan but the way you are judging players personalities is making you look like one and as previously stated the player who gets the most column inches isn't the one with the most interesting things to say.

Action Jackson
07-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Go on George:devil: ,~surely you`ve got more to say for yourself than 3-waveys:confused:

What for. I have already answered this question and I have already told you many times you only focus on the stars and don't look outside those narrow boundaries, there are interesting people around if you are prepared to look.

CmonAussie
07-16-2007, 05:32 PM
What for. I have already answered this question and I have already told you many times you only focus on the stars and don't look outside those narrow boundaries, there are interesting people around if you are prepared to look.

So looking "outside those narrow boundaries"~~ can you give me your Top-10 players with mystique:confused:
Happy to hear your opinion, but if you ever respond to my threads it`s just to criticise or give some smarty pants sarcastic remark [bad bad bad]:sad:

Try to be more positive:cool:

CmonAussie
07-16-2007, 05:38 PM

Okie dokies George, I know you told me Mecir~~ but I`d like a few more names than one<:)

BrandoPolo
07-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Good post:cool:

Regarding your last comment~~ surely you see that Andre Agassi was particularly culturally significant;)
Agassi had tons of charisma & redefined cool on the tennis court:cool:

Not sure I'd include Andre in terms of "mystique." He had more charisma than anyone in his generation, and he's one of the most beloved players ever. But I think he lacked that larger-than-life, head-turning aura that a Gonzales or Tilden projected. Maybe Andre was too populist, everyman and accessible to have mystique?

If this was a list of most popular players ever, he would definitely make mine. Mystique, charisma, and popularity are kind of different. For example, Borg had mystique and popularity but wasn't particularly charismatic. Federer is popular, but he lacks both charisma and mystique. Lendl had mystique, no charisma, no popularity. I guess it's splitting hairs though, dependent on how you define them.

jonas
07-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Wilander

Wilander won Key Biscane and Cincinatti as well in 1988. :rolleyes:

megadeth
07-17-2007, 05:18 AM
i'm sick of cmonaussie's threads and the exaggerated punctuation marks! :p

CmonAussie
07-17-2007, 05:26 AM
i'm sick of cmonaussie's threads and the exaggerated punctuation marks! :p

Don`t bother posting meganegative:p