A Dumb Question?

10-31-2006, 02:23 AM
can somebody tell me what is used to tell when the ball goes out/or in? is it a laser detection unit...i'm new to tennis and i always wondered if there is a guy sitting there looking to call an out or if there is some other technology involved....

Johnny Groove
10-31-2006, 02:24 AM
the video replay? or just simple line calling? because good ol' human eyes are still in good use :yeah:

10-31-2006, 02:26 AM
i thought so but someone told me that there is some kind of detection on the court...

10-31-2006, 02:27 AM
not dumb at all... video replay like Hawk-Eye was developed in 2001 which uses six (or more, w/the precision these days) cameras situated at various places on court, all linked to a common computer system that generates a 3D representation of the path of the ball

Johnny Groove
10-31-2006, 02:27 AM
for the video replay, they have cameras all over the court that link up to the big screen, but most line calls are made by linespersons in a favorable position

10-31-2006, 02:31 AM
thanks u guys!!

10-31-2006, 02:38 AM
I remember in Wimbledon there was also a laser beam detection system along the service line to detect serves that were long. It would beep whenever the ball went through the laser beam. After the serve, the system was turned off.

10-31-2006, 02:47 AM
The cyclops are only for serves.

And the Hawkeye is not exactly video replay. The computer system uses the cameras to capture the speed and projectile of the tennis ball to project where the ball will hit the ground.