shorter season is killing the Paris Indoors. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

shorter season is killing the Paris Indoors.

vogus
10-30-2006, 05:34 PM
ever since the the ATP condensed the schedule to end the season earlier, the Paris tournie has been suffering from a lousy position on the calendar. Are the sponsors going to continue to put up TMS prize money for sub-par fields? It seems like they are not getting good value for what they pay.

cmurray
10-30-2006, 05:43 PM
What they OUGHT to do is space out TMS tournies better and have fewer optionals. As it is, the season is quite gruelling. The most ridiculous of course, is Canada/Cincy being literally back to back.

mattie09
10-30-2006, 06:18 PM
It's not fair on people who have bought tickets already , if none of the major players are playing.

R.Federer
10-30-2006, 06:21 PM
This cannot go on year after year, it's really not fair to ticket holders, tournament organizers, so many of the people who put in work to make this successful and it is also not fair to expect players facing burnout and injury to show up regardless of their wellbeing. Maybe they can alternate its position on the schedule with some other tournament.

DrJules
10-30-2006, 06:22 PM
What they OUGHT to do is space out TMS tournies better and have fewer optionals. As it is, the season is quite gruelling. The most ridiculous of course, is Canada/Cincy being literally back to back.

Certainly fewer optionals should count towards the ranking of top players. Probably 3 would be a good number. It is necessary to have some top players at non-master series and grand slam events, but top players should be focused on master series and grand slams.

R.Federer
10-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Another possibility is to limit the total number of tournaments, like they had in the past. For example, alternate years can have a rotating configuration of T.M.S, maybe 5 a year instead of 9.

That tennis kid
10-30-2006, 08:38 PM

Rome/Hamburg back to back is arguably worse as they are on clay with best-of-five set finals - though neither is particularly well thought out.

NyGeL
10-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Problems about tickets? you will be watching good tennis despite Federer and Nadal are not playing.

If you are expectating to watch them, then don't ever go to Hamburg, Cincinatti or Paris.

bobjoe66
10-30-2006, 09:30 PM
also has its advantages like the finale of ATP Race conclusion.

shotgun
10-30-2006, 09:47 PM
The fields have been depleted indeed, but one thing this tournament can't complain of is the lack of worthy winners.

vogus
10-30-2006, 10:57 PM
The most ridiculous of course, is Canada/Cincy being literally back to back.

i don't completely agree about that. The main problem is NOT merely that Canada/Cincy (and Rome/Hamburg) are back to back. The problem is that they are back-to-back, followed 7 days later by the start of a Grand Slam. No player who intends to win a GS title wants to be in the finals of two consecutive TMS events right beforehand. There needs to an extra week of separation between these TMS events and the Slams. Similarly for Madrid, Bercy, and the TMC.

GlennMirnyi
10-30-2006, 11:12 PM
The problem is that the carpet season is too short. That makes less players really interested in it.

Tennis Fool
10-30-2006, 11:53 PM
When was the last time 3 of the top 5 showed up for Paris?

Also, maybe this tournament should be cancelled. Parisians can always go to the French Open.

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2006, 12:04 AM
When was the last time 3 of the top 5 showed up for Paris?

Also, maybe this tournament should be cancelled. Parisians can always go to the French Open.

Shut up. Cancel one of the 500 clay tournaments.

vogus
10-31-2006, 12:08 AM

Come on. The US has a Grand Slam plus 3 TMS events. In France, where tennis is a far bigger sport than in the US, the country certainly deserves another large tournament in addition to RG.

Tennis Fool
10-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Come on. The US has a Grand Slam plus 3 TMS events. In France, where tennis is a far bigger sport than in the US, the country certainly deserves another large tournament in addition to RG.

Ok, but maybe not an indoor masters that's too close to the MC?

Tennis Fool
10-31-2006, 12:33 AM
Shut up.

Thanks for your vote of confidence :yeah:

TenHound
10-31-2006, 01:01 AM
They should skip last Masters in Paris & put the Year Ends there instead. London's not bad, but Paris is Paris is Paris... :)

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Thanks for your vote of confidence :yeah:

Sorry if I seem rude, but there's only one carpet TMS and you want it to end? C'mon!

Fee
10-31-2006, 01:10 AM
This conversation may be moot in about a year anyway. The ATP wants to change the schedule and once they can find a way to appease the tournament directors, the number of Masters events will be reduced. Madrid or Paris will go, either by downgrading, sharing the week on the calendar by rotating the location from year to year, moving to another place on the calendar, or something. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

cmurray
10-31-2006, 01:11 AM
i don't completely agree about that. The main problem is NOT merely that Canada/Cincy (and Rome/Hamburg) are back to back. The problem is that they are back-to-back, followed 7 days later by the start of a Grand Slam. No player who intends to win a GS title wants to be in the finals of two consecutive TMS events right beforehand. There needs to an extra week of separation between these TMS events and the Slams. Similarly for Madrid, Bercy, and the TMC.

I agree to some extent. however, 2 back to back TMS tournies means basically playing EVERY day for 2 weeks if you intend (insert Fed's name here) to win both. It's just ridiculous. The GS right after doesn't help either, but I think both things need to change. I don't understand why that Villiers idiot wants to add RR events but not tweak the schedule so that the top players end up at the top tourneys. moron.

vogus
10-31-2006, 01:13 AM
This conversation may be moot in about a year anyway. The ATP wants to change the schedule and once they can find a way to appease the tournament directors, the number of Masters events will be reduced. Madrid or Paris will go, either by downgrading, sharing the week on the calendar by rotating the location from year to year, moving to another place on the calendar, or something. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

it is unchanged for '07 though right? So they are going to get screwed at least one more time.

Lee
10-31-2006, 01:53 AM
it is unchanged for '07 though right? So they are going to get screwed at least one more time.

And I doubt 2008 will be any better. They have to squeeze Olympics to the schedule. :tape:

vogus
10-31-2006, 02:19 AM
And I doubt 2008 will be any better. They have to squeeze Olympics to the schedule. :tape:

i'm assuming the '08 Olympics will simply take the usual September slot of the Beijing ATP event.

canbera
10-31-2006, 12:10 PM
there are simply too many optionals that take the space for the important events. almost every bigger town in the world wants to have it's own International Series event. Take Duesseldorf in Germany for example. they have a Challenger tourny and want it to be International Series someday. Now tell me, where is enough space in the calendar for this? easy answer, there is none.

the Cincy/Canada and Roma/Hamburg back-to-back Masters Series tournaments are also a pretty bad idea. But it's not the players fault in my opinion. they don't want to take the risk of getting an injury, so they withdraw. that is ok to me.

Rogiman
10-31-2006, 12:39 PM
This conversation may be moot in about a year anyway. The ATP wants to change the schedule and once they can find a way to appease the tournament directors, the number of Masters events will be reduced. Madrid or Paris will go, either by downgrading, sharing the week on the calendar by rotating the location from year to year, moving to another place on the calendar, or something. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.Cancel the Spanish Nationalistic Festival :dance: