Federer mishits! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer mishits!

coria1982
10-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey guys!
I am new to tennis, but when I watched some of Federers matches in Madrid 2 weeks ago, I noticed that he often misshits or at least more often than his opponents.
Someone has a slow motion video of such a missit. Whats happens exactly there?
Do you think it would help if the frame of his racket would be thinner there would be less misshits or does he not hit the balls with the frame at all.
At the normal speed I can not see anything sorry and i forgot to tape his matches.
Thanks for your answers.

Feketepuss
10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Federer wins a top ranking tournament without dropping a set, only dropping serve once all week, and winning the final 7-5, 6-1, 6-0 and you feel he is mishitting more than his opponents? I think you should keep quiet in case he works out how to use a racket properly and never loses another match...

xtiano
10-30-2006, 11:20 AM
well, actually, he always misshits ^_^
got used to these misshits...

RonE
10-30-2006, 11:35 AM
He puts an awful lot of spin both on the forehand and also quite a bit on the backhand. His forehand swing motion if you look at a slow motion replay of it shows you how much torque he gets with the wrist coming over the ball- a lassoo whip type of action. On the backhand he brushes up at the ball imparting a lot of spin with the wrist flicking up. In both these motions he gets amazing racquet head speed and has exquisite timing. However, on a few rare occassions the timing is just off and because of all the above mentioned factors all it takes is a split second and the ball misses the sweet spot, hits the frame and goes flying.

TheMightyFed
10-30-2006, 11:37 AM
It's not the size of the frame, but it might be the fact that his eyes stays on the point on contact longer than others, which is a good thing overall but could lead to some mishits. There is one FH on Youtube during Wimby 04 I think.

Ernham
10-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Federer tends to hit the ball much earlier than most players, before the ball "flattens out". The ball is generally has a more angular in its trajectory at that time. A lot of players from the baseline wait for the ball to "flatten" out on its bounce. So as an exaggerated scenario: pretend a ball is coming out at you from the ground and flying straight at your face, starting from 5 feet or so away from you and now you have to hit the ball cleanly. Then imagine a ball going in a straight line passed you on the left or right of your body and you have to do the same thing. Which way do you think is going to end in more mishits?

MisterQ
10-30-2006, 12:57 PM
I would remove an "s" from the title, lest we be led to believe something even more humiliating has occurred. :o ;)

star
10-30-2006, 01:26 PM
I would remove an "s" from the title, lest we be led to believe something even more humiliating has occurred. :o ;)

:lol: Yeah... I thought this was a companion thread to the farting thread. ;lol:

safin-rules-no.1
10-30-2006, 01:38 PM

i know, i was dissapointed to find it was about his tennis :lol:

LCeh
10-30-2006, 03:04 PM
My theory is that, even though usually, the racquet face is taught to be perpendicular to the ground when making contact with the ball, regardless of hitting a flat/topspin/slice shot, some, or most of the top players tilt their racquet a little bit to generate some extra spin.

Add that to the fact that Federer strings his racquets VERY low (at 48 pounds), the balls can actually slide a little when it's making contact with the ball due to the tilted racquet head as well as the low tension strings. This might lead to more mishits.

case
10-30-2006, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=MisterQ;4374083]I would remove an "s" from the title, lest we be led to believe something even more humiliating has occurred. :o ;)[/
QUOTE]

:haha: he might have. we have no idea what he does in private. :confused:

Katastrophe
10-30-2006, 03:11 PM
When Fed does misshit, he always makes it fun. See what I mean- a friend passed along this link to me.:p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X1BIe35skSU

Sheek
10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
haha that was fun to watch, rarely see fed do that

deliveryman
10-30-2006, 06:36 PM
When Fed does misshit, he always makes it fun. See what I mean- a friend passed along this link to me.:p

lol, I was at that match.

The crowd reaction was hilarious.

Katastrophe
10-30-2006, 06:43 PM
I was watching it on tv, and at first I wasn't sure that I heard it right. It was really funny, like a really honest moment. I knew he could get a code violation for it, but I was hoping he wouldn't. When he didn't get one, I only laughed harder.

I thought it was also interesting that his first instinct was to curse in English. Leave it to Fed to be fluent in four letter words of different languages.;)

MisterQ
10-30-2006, 06:51 PM

Thanks for that link. His reaction to his own behavior is quite funny. :lol:

Federer actually mishits balls surprisingly frequently. I suppose that's what happens when you try to take balls very early while still using quite a significant backswing. (Agassi mishit balls less frequently, but he could make the last-second adjustments more easily with his short swing).

Naranoc
10-30-2006, 06:53 PM

That was hilarious! I love the whole 'I'm a bad boy' grin he has after he said it :lol:

Katastrophe
10-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I always said that Fed wasn't boring, he just learned to be more subtle. He's got a naughty streak too, and he knew EXACTLY what he had done the minute the word left his mouth.;)

I just love this sport...I only wish I could convince my friends to get into it more. I'm on an island all by myself sometimes.

Boris Franz Ecker
10-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Federer misshits often, cause he gets bored during rallies.
It's a simple consequence of his superiority

guga2120
10-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Federer does mishit alot its b/c of that small 90in raquet he uses, but there alot of advantages to that raquet esp on serve, hes like a pitcher with that thing he can put it absolutely anywhere, when he was playing the French Final he was mishitting a ton of that backhand side.

MisterQ
10-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Federer misshits often, cause he gets bored during rallies.
It's a simple consequence of his superiority

I have this same problem, my opponents simply bore me into losing. :lol:

ReservoirCat
10-30-2006, 09:02 PM

:lol: :lol:

This thread brought to you by Kleenex. Official supplier of 4-ply softness to the champions.

World Beater
10-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for that link. His reaction to his own behavior is quite funny. :lol:

Federer actually mishits balls surprisingly frequently. I suppose that's what happens when you try to take balls very early while still using quite a significant backswing. (Agassi mishit balls less frequently, but he could make the last-second adjustments more easily with his short swing).

not just the swing but agassi doesn't hit the ball with the same amount of spin. his racket face is flat when it makes contact with the ball...he hits a lot of straight drives.

federer uses the wrist to generate the spin in addition to the arm movement. the angle is much more acute.